Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

$9k/semester max if he's out of state. $66k in living expenses for 9 months is pretty lol

maybe he fell for a few dozen IRS phone scams

i assume he thought he'd be there for 2 years so that's $36k and my grad school grad girlfriend says you basically double that to cover living expenses so maybe it was only $72k plus interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Obscuritatem posted:

sometimes I try to do things and it just doesn't work out the way I wanted too
and i get real frustrated, and its like
and i try hard to do it and take my time
and it just doesn't work out the way i want it too
it's like i concentrate on it real hard but it just doesn't work out
and everything i do and everything I try, it never turns out
it's like i need time to figure these things out

Just one Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

i assume he thought he'd be there for 2 years so that's $36k and my grad school grad girlfriend says you basically double that to cover living expenses so maybe it was only $72k plus interest?

what does it matter if he thought he'd be paying for 2 years of tuition if he only paid for 1

if i take out a loan for $20k and don't actually use it that's not debt lol

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

what does it matter if he thought he'd be paying for 2 years of tuition if he only paid for 1

i literally don't know. i don't have debt and he just told us this at a party this weekend. i have no reason to assume he's lying. like, sure lol and stuff; that's insane levels of debt, but in the words of our future president "what difference does it make?" these are the circumstances people in my generation are dealing with and these are people with graduate degrees in STEM which is supposed to be the silver bullet to millennial woes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i can easily imagine a 20-something inflating their debt to compete in a hosed up 2016 dick waving contest

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

i can easily imagine a 20-something inflating their debt to compete in a hosed up 2016 dick waving contest

yeah except it wasn't at all. we were talking about rent and how he and his girlfriend are saving a ton of money by living in a house with 2 other roommates to which he said he wouldn't be able to live in denver if it wasn't for his particular living circumstances. then he came forth with a description of his debt, completely unsolicited.

so i wouldn't call it a "dick waving competition" so much as a candid description of his finical situation

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

uh im pretty sure i struggle for success because im hella mentally ill not any of this grit bullshit

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
the generation where everyone got participation ribbons has trouble handling failure you say

Magic-Doogies
Mar 5, 2016

by exmarx

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

the generation where everyone got participation ribbons has trouble handling failure you say

The only participation ribbons I got were for showing up to school everyday and not missing a single day.
Never saw that award for anything else.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Every generation is basically the loving same.

Even the greatest generation got "participation ribbons"

Purple Heart: You got shot you loving dumbass. Way to go!

Good Conduct Medal: You showed up for your job on time most of the time, only landed in jail once in a 6 month time period, and didn't piss anyone off too much!

Jump Wings/Airborne tab: Way to go on getting pushed out of an airplane. Broke both of your legs on landing? gently caress it, you still tried and didn't die.

I'll let a mil goon weigh in more on this but back in the day many boomers got literal gold stars for doing nothing other than being good friends with someone high up on the food chain, or coming from a lucrative upbringing with connections.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Every generation is basically the loving same.

Even the greatest generation got "participation ribbons"

Purple Heart: You got shot you loving dumbass. Way to go!

Good Conduct Medal: You showed up for your job on time most of the time, only landed in jail once in a 6 month time period, and didn't piss anyone off too much!

Jump Wings/Airborne tab: Way to go on getting pushed out of an airplane. Broke both of your legs on landing? gently caress it, you still tried and didn't die.

I'll let a mil goon weigh in more on this but back in the day many boomers got literal gold stars for doing nothing other than being good friends with someone high up on the food chain, or coming from a lucrative upbringing with connections.

I'm so loving glad someone finally took those bastards who got shot for their country's sake down a notch. Thanks.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm so loving glad someone finally took those bastards who got shot for their country's sake down a notch. Thanks.

pretty sure this is GBS right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

Have you tried weed today? poo poo, stoners have been breeding it to be exponentially more powerful.

From my experience growing up in a suburban town, millennials have plenty of weed.

That's the sort of weed you smoke when you're coming down off acid or ecstasy. It's great they've got some for that purpose. They clearly need something stronger.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah except it wasn't at all. we were talking about rent and how he and his girlfriend are saving a ton of money by living in a house with 2 other roommates to which he said he wouldn't be able to live in denver if it wasn't for his particular living circumstances. then he came forth with a description of his debt, completely unsolicited.

so i wouldn't call it a "dick waving competition" so much as a candid description of his finical situation

not very candid if he lied about how much school cost him tbh

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lol if you think everyone in the military is a "hero"

even the ones who got shot

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't get any grit until I was like 28

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

lol if you think everyone in the military is a "hero"

even the ones who got shot

You're right, your sacrifice of 5 dollars for a sanders avatar was a much bigger sacrifice.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

You're right, your sacrifice of 5 dollars for a sanders avatar was a much bigger sacrifice.

is this one of those "you're a goon, you aren't good like our soldiers?"

cuz i was a soldier

but fortunately not anymore

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Devian666 posted:

That's the sort of weed you smoke when you're coming down off acid or ecstasy. It's great they've got some for that purpose. They clearly need something stronger.

In my hometown if you didn't want weed the only other option was meth.

There was a 40% chance your dealer would try to kill you via rottweiler.

The struggle is real.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

In my hometown if you didn't want weed the only other option was meth.

There was a 40% chance your dealer would try to kill you via rottweiler.

The struggle is real.

This is how Millennials are hosed it's the baby boomers selling them poo poo drugs like meth. It isn't just debt slavery through mortgages, student loans and $100k of credit card debt it's the drugs man. Baby boomers have to hook you on meth to pay for their retirement, those heartless animals.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Devian666 posted:

This is how Millennials are hosed it's the baby boomers selling them poo poo drugs like meth. It isn't just debt slavery through mortgages, student loans and $100k of credit card debt it's the drugs man. Baby boomers have to hook you on meth to pay for their retirement, those heartless animals.

The Rott got better drugs than me. :(

naem
May 29, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

is this one of those "you're a goon, you aren't good like our soldiers?"

cuz i was a soldier

but fortunately not anymore

samb

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Buca di Bepis posted:

You surely aren't suggesting that millenials are bullshitting about how difficult their lives are to cover up the fact that they are just simply poo poo at life?

I'm 33 so i am technically "in the bracket" but everyone i know under 30 is just poo poo when it comes to work stuff and money management.

A good few are unemployed by choice because the "right" job hasn't come along for them so they stay at home with their parents and play Destiny/WoW all day, i know a couple of qualified teachers who turn down subbing work regularly (that pays more than tenure here) because they just don't feel like working that day/week and the few i know that have good, steady, well paying jobs are living pay check to pay check because they don't seem to realise that life isn't a competition to spend every penny you earn on dumb poo poo with no lasting value.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

as both CEO and former army man I agree, don't know what the shoes mean though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

bongwizzard posted:

And I think "feeling Gen X as gently caress" really just means I'm super self-centered, very lazy, yet have an extreme drive to make money as I can and be as comfortable as humanly possible.

Agreed except on the self-centered. And I'm lazy as gently caress but I realise how I need to be professional at work and have a good work-reputation, and achieve a... an adequate amount. Because money + career.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I just hope that we get suicide booths when I'm 50 or 60.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

affluentliberal.jpg

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

naem posted:

Question # 2:

Would you rather:

A) live off mommy and daddy who wuv me vewy much and wide my pony daddy bought me and vacation twice a year in Apsen/the Fwench Wivera
B) find a NEW daddy who has even MORE money, one I have sex with!!
C) both a and b and also get a college degree, and then a job, which I don't need, like a fancy career woman like on TV!!
D) this job isn't GOOD enough I want a FANCY job! That's because I have so much GWIT! I'm GWITTY! Grr! Haha in a cutey pie *flutters eyelashes*
D) no daddy this long isn't good enough I want an APPOLOOSA!!

I wanted to come back to this because it's definitely B

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

This lady hasn't had to worry about money or having to work for a living a day in her life.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This seems to be the same CNN crowd that is really excited about The World is Flat. High speed internet proliferation means that even individual jobs can be outsourced! Anyone in India can do nearly any job, for pennies on the dollar! Isn't this exciting and great!?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-668400

quote:

The reasons why the flattening of the world "will be seen in time as one of those fundamental shifts or inflection points, like Gutenberg's invention of the printing press, the rise of the nation-state, or the Industrial Revolution"

• An explanation of "uploading" as one of the ten forces that are flattening the world, as blogging, open-source software, pooled knowledge projects like Wikipedia, and podcasting enable individuals to bring their experiences and opinions to the whole world

• A mapping of the New Middle--the places and spaces in the flat world where
middle-class jobs will be found--and portraits of the character types who will find success as New Middlers

•An account of the qualities American parents and teachers need to cultivate in young people so that they will be able to thrive in the flat world

•A call for a government-led "geo-green" strategy to preserve the environment and natural resources

•An account of the "globalization of the local": how the flattening of the world is actually strengthening local and regional identities rather than homogenizing the world

Competing with everyone else with an internet connection, who ultimately are willing to work for a lot less sounds so great. I can't wait to find out if I have the character type to survive as middle-class.

http://video.mit.edu/watch/the-world-is-flat-9145/

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 5, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

So basically she could just quote the whole "run the race" spiel from the New Testament but change a few words to make it about grit and have half her TED Talk done right there. Open with her dubious definition of "grit" and her laughable research and close with some old people are awesome at "grit" platitudes and she could have a 15 minute spot easy. How much cash do you get for one of them things?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's because baby boomers aren't retiring, that coupled with a lot of jobs being done by computers/robots or shipped overseas

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Magic-Doogies posted:

The only participation ribbons I got were for showing up to school everyday and not missing a single day.
Never saw that award for anything else.

trap sprung; you obviously never participated in sport. Fatso spotted :siren:

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I don't give a grit.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

This seems to be the same CNN crowd that is really excited about The World is Flat. High speed internet proliferation means that even individual jobs can be outsourced! Anyone in India can do nearly any job, for pennies on the dollar! Isn't this exciting and great!?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-668400

Competing with everyone else with an internet connection, who ultimately are willing to work for a lot less sounds so great. I can't wait to find out if I have the character type to survive as middle-class.

http://video.mit.edu/watch/the-world-is-flat-9145/

A lot of people on my campus are obsessed with this, I don't think they have actually read it, of course

It's basically trickle down economics for liberals who don't understand how capitalism has to work in order to function.

Oh sure, the oligarchs of America are going to let African Nestle slaves start their own tech companies, this is a rational belief!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

One of the examples in the talk is an impoverished ceramics dealer in Peru who opened an e-store and is now trying to get his people's locally made ceramics made in China for cheaper.

This was an example of helping the local economy, for reasons I can't fathom. Sounds like this one guy will do okay, while selling out his entire village: selling their cultural heritage while also outsourcing their jobs.

e: Now imagine Canada, the UK and the US as Peruvian villages and Mulroney, Thatcher and Reagan as the enterprising young man. Instead of pottery, they sold public institutions and whole industries. Progress!

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 5, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

gently caress the ROW posted:

trap sprung; you obviously never participated in sport. Fatso spotted :siren:

I'm a fatso that participated in youth sports and I'm at the old end of millennial, since I was born in 1983. There was not a single kid on any of the teams that I played on that didn't treat participation ribbons and certificates as the worthless pieces of garbage they were. Pretty harsh criticism coming from first graders. Maybe it had to do with being in schools on military bases or in towns around them? Lol if you were proud of your "you lost" trophy.

E: not you in particular, just in general.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

This women got a MacArthur grant? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Fried Watermelon posted:

The point of this article is to generate clicks and ad views.

Millenial vs Boomer is a huge sensitive topic that gets the blood boiling so you'll click on the article and view the ads.

CNN doesn't give a poo poo about millenials or boomers. We are just consumers to them, nothing more.

Hmmm I wonder what all the retirees are doing in their spare time? (Reading the internet) Makes sense to target them and make them feel good so they can squeeze that last dollar out of their body before rigor mortis sets in

They might as well squeeze those dollars because all of the Millenials are running Ad Blockers and cord cutting like motherfuckers. Of course the financial squeeze probably won't hit CNN until it's boomer executives have retired.

• Locked thread