Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Today goldenvoice (of coachella fame) announced the "Concert of the century" (this is a NEW century, so Aerosmith:Guns n Roses '88 still reigns) over 3 days at the empire polo fields. This marks the most expensivest lineup ever, speculated at some 50 million dollars.

Ticketing is very reasonable (starts: $399 GA) in addition to single day tickets (at $200/each day). If you've ever seen the ASP of a Stones ticket you'll understand this is very good value. There will also be camping but there is an emphasis on a premium experence. So no, no beer bongs with nanna.

e:Screwed up the title.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Hmm, another music fest for me to profit from? Yay!

I have a couch that folds out if any goons need a place a short drive from the polo grounds. I'd offer the guest room but we are renting it out for hundreds of dollars a night.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Wonder how much cheaper Rolling Stones tickets would be if Mick and Keith were fat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Grown ups have better things to do than watch 6 concerts in a row. Who's the target audience for this?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Quite literally for the grownest(?) of the grownups: The victory lap boomers. It's configured similar to their other festival, stagecoach, where there are premium seats that they're charging quite handsomely for at $1,500 american bucks....each

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are like 15 people over 55 who are interested in watching 6 concerts in a row, even of bands they like. I mean, theyre going to be out the door when Dylan comes on with his set of 99% obscure Sinatra songs and songs he's recorded in the past 15 years.

Here's Dylan's set list from last week:

1. Things Have Changed (Bob center stage)
2. She Belongs To Me (Bob center stage with harp)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob on piano)
4. What'll I Do (Bob center stage)
5. Duquesne Whistle (Bob on piano)
6. Melancholy Mood (Bob center stage)
7. Pay In Blood (Bob center stage)
8. I'm A Fool To Want You (Bob center stage)
9. That Old Black Magic (Bob center stage)
10. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob center stage with harp then on piano)
(intermission)
11. High Water (For Charley Patton) (Bob center stage)
12. Why Try To Change Me Now (Bob center stage)
13. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano)
14. The Night We Called It A Day (Bob center stage)
15. Spirit On The Water (Bob on piano)
16. Scarlet Town (Bob center stage)
17. All Or Nothing At All (Bob center stage)
18. Long And Wasted Years (Bob center stage)
19. Autumn Leaves (Bob center stage)

(encore)
20. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on piano, Donnie on violin)
21. Love Sick (Bob center stage)

That's 2 songs that are classic "hits" and another song from the 60's that's more obscure. Everything else is from 1997 on or a standard. He doesn't play guitar anymore. He doesn't play for casual fans.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 5, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Grown ups have better things to do than watch 6 concerts in a row. Who's the target audience for this?

i used to work for a wine distributor which was owned by a man named hugh. hugh was almost seven feet tall, barrel chested, red faced, spoke with a booming voice you could hear through thick brick walls, a natural salesman and an active member of every "good ole boy" network. he would spend a month every summer hosting a giant party on his family's private island off maine. a lifelong democrat but he probably has a beer with george w every now and then. dropping several thousand on stones/dylan/jimmy buffett/etc tickets for himself and his buddies was a regular thing for him, and they would also bring several thousands of dollars in wine to these shows. hugh is the target audience for this, and I hope he has a good time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

i used to work for a wine distributor which was owned by a man named hugh. hugh was almost seven feet tall, barrel chested, red faced, spoke with a booming voice you could hear through thick brick walls, a natural salesman and an active member of every "good ole boy" network. he would spend a month every summer hosting a giant party on his family's private island off maine. a lifelong democrat but he probably has a beer with george w every now and then. dropping several thousand on stones/dylan/jimmy buffett/etc tickets for himself and his buddies was a regular thing for him, and they would also bring several thousands of dollars in wine to these shows. hugh is the target audience for this, and I hope he has a good time.

I mean, in a lot of ways, I'm the target audience for this thing. I'm under 40 so the idea of going to a festival is far fetched but not completely absurd, I have super dorky tastes in music and I've seen all these acts except the Who before, and I could afford the ticket/airfare/whatever without having to take out a loan.

But the idea of siting through 6 greatest hits, festival sets of dinosaur rock outdoors bores me to tears. I'll probably see Dylan twice this summer because I'm stupid, but after an hour and a half of that I'm ready to go. I have no problem flying to see a concert if it's a one off thing, and i haven't been in years, but I'd be excited to go to SXSW again some time because at least you're in a city and there's stuff to do. But this thing just does not appeal.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BigFactory posted:

I mean, in a lot of ways, I'm the target audience for this thing. I'm under 40 so the idea of going to a festival is far fetched but not completely absurd, I have super dorky tastes in music and I've seen all these acts except the Who before, and I could afford the ticket/airfare/whatever without having to take out a loan.

But the idea of siting through 6 greatest hits, festival sets of dinosaur rock outdoors bores me to tears. I'll probably see Dylan twice this summer because I'm stupid, but after an hour and a half of that I'm ready to go. I have no problem flying to see a concert if it's a one off thing, and i haven't been in years, but I'd be excited to go to SXSW again some time because at least you're in a city and there's stuff to do. But this thing just does not appeal.

i guess because it doesn't appeal to you it won't sell any tickets and will be canceled. glad we could clear that up

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheQat posted:

i guess because it doesn't appeal to you it won't sell any tickets and will be canceled. glad we could clear that up

Are you thinking of going? What's the draw?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

death to baby boomers imo

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

On sale, second weekend added :stare:

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I guess this is selling well if a second weekend's been added. Doesn't feel like it'd be worth it unless each act is playing at least 3 hours. Looks like they sold out of passes so I guess they got people to buy in to capacity for both weekends even at those prices. :catstare:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
It turns out they sold a LOT of the tickets to viagogo and stubhub. If twitter is any indicator, many people got in "line" to buy tickets right at 10am and never had a chance, waiting in line for hours only to find it sold out. But thats ok, because before it even sold out you could go on stubhub and buy the GA seats that were 399 for 800+ lol. On top of that, they had a smaller number of tickets than Coachella and let everyone buy 8 seats instead of the usual 2. What a joke.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It was an event primed to be resold on stub-hub (AEG and goldenvoices only platform for reselling tickets...they get a slice of that too). If the secondary market skyrockets then they'll make MORE then their money back before the event even starts.

Plus each act gets a shitton of holdbacks to resell. Everyone wins, the concert goer loses.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Unless it just doesn't sell.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There are a lot of similarities to coachella secondary market (i.e buy closer to the event) but I can't tell if the boomers are going to pay 2x for the tickets or more. The coachella market is a known quantity, but this is a one (err 2) off event.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Unless it just doesn't sell.

they wouldn't have added an additional weekend if it wasn't selling well

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

they wouldn't have added an additional weekend if it wasn't selling well

I'm talking about if stubhub gets caught with a ton of unsold tickets because people won't pay 2x face value. I'm sure they're insured if that happens though.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

cheese posted:

It turns out they sold a LOT of the tickets to viagogo and stubhub. If twitter is any indicator, many people got in "line" to buy tickets right at 10am and never had a chance, waiting in line for hours only to find it sold out. But thats ok, because before it even sold out you could go on stubhub and buy the GA seats that were 399 for 800+ lol. On top of that, they had a smaller number of tickets than Coachella and let everyone buy 8 seats instead of the usual 2. What a joke.

Hah, so it's all gone to scam sellers then. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao gently caress this poo poo

• Locked thread