Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Yay dorfs! :neckbeard:

I tried DF several years ago but all I learned was how terrible I was at it. It's much more fun for me to watch than it is to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Summer 250
Hematite

I watched Eighty and Airconswitch dig out what will be our main warehouse. Eighty was complaining that there was no chairs and no mugs. Granted, a good dwarf does need time to relax, but we are still getting our bearings, as it was. Airconswitch responded to my argument with "If we had some drat chairs, I'd be more focused, you lout!"

I promised them I'd have a dining hall made after the warehouse was done. Oh, the chains of command...

I asked StrangeAeon to help out with the brewing. He kvetched for a little while, but went along with it.

We have no meat, and no fish. All we have are plants and eggs, plus plenty to drink. It's gonna be rough.

The warehouse is almost complete, and there is plenty of obsidian to make proper dwarven crafts out of.

Malachite

Migrants! It is good to see more hands to help us. I must make a census of them as soon as possible.

Let's see... there are six of them:

Our population stands at 13. Maybe I should prioritize sleeping quarters instead of the dining hall. The miners are taken off hauling duty in order to dig out livable places -- Eighty was pleased.

Galena
The warehouse is complete! Let's move everything in!

Everyone's too busy rushing around moving things to make stuff that would make this place a little more livable. At least the miners are doing their jobs. I designate an area for economy housing...

and an area for nobles... I hope we don't have to dig them out too soon.

The dining hall is finally dug out. Now if I can only get the layabouts to make furniture for it...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I would like to put in a request to make the temples, taverns, and dining halls into more interesting shapes than squares. Even just a long rectangle that tapers down at the ends looks pretty good for a dining hall and makes the fort a lot more interesting visually.

Updates are pretty great so far though, looking forward to taking my rightful place as bookkeeper in the next couple of migrant waves.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Awww yes DF LP time again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Danny Glands posted:

[*]Mister Adequate, a fishery worker.

gently caress

HAMSTERS

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ah, I forgot you can only change the first name of dwarves. I meant to be Fudon Tenderboy, but I guess "Fudon Tenderboy" Axedragon will do fine :prepop:

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

StrangeAeon wants to raise a family. But detests romance.

Something's a little wrong with that.

He's an old-fashioned, reproduction-via-spores kind of guy.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Danny Glands posted:

[*]Mister Adequate, a fishery worker.

Mister Adequate posted:

gently caress

HAMSTERS

Bad at social relationships, bad intuition, bad at words, and he hates his family. The gooniest dwarf.

I'm excited for this LP: I've not played DF for about five years and picked it up again this week, so it'll be good to see roughly what I could be doing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I would like to put in a request to make the temples, taverns, and dining halls into more interesting shapes than squares. Even just a long rectangle that tapers down at the ends looks pretty good for a dining hall and makes the fort a lot more interesting visually.

Updates are pretty great so far though, looking forward to taking my rightful place as bookkeeper in the next couple of migrant waves.

Quickfort is your friend.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yesss. Dwarves digging a hole. :neckbeard:

You can always dig out some pillars along the sides of a large room or just some alcoves for statues for decoration. I've found it helps a lot to make the place more interesting looking, but I also go too far with it myself.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Don't worry about how rough it looks right now. I'm gonna clean it up after we get all the furniture moved.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Digging the efficiency. I'll be glad to see how this fort spirals sprawls.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Oh poo poo I did not see how far down the dwarf list has already gotten. DONALD TRUMP is going to have to wait his turn I guess. Also unwittingly stole the gimmick off of someone else oops.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

fallingdownjoe posted:

Bad at social relationships, bad intuition, bad at words, and he hates his family. The gooniest dwarf.

It's goddamn uncanny :v:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Frozen_flame posted:

Oh poo poo I did not see how far down the dwarf list has already gotten. DONALD TRUMP is going to have to wait his turn I guess. Also unwittingly stole the gimmick off of someone else oops.

I've got gimmicks to spare. But as punishment you should audition for overseer.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I live on dwarf death.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eagerly awaiting my dwarf being the reason we all die somehow

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I've got gimmicks to spare. But as punishment you should audition for overseer.

I've thought about it before, while my writing style could be OK I just would not have time or energy to commit for now.

I also have no idea how to play since about 5 versions have come out since the last time. That isn't a real reason though.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Autumn 250
Limestone

Necrotic came back to me stating that "official-lookin'" dwarves came over the horizon a few minutes ago. (a curse word is scratched out here) All we have in way of trade goods is a bunch of goblets and a pair of rings... I must stall for time. I guess we also have some gems.

--

Met with Kol Eturshukar, a liason. When I asked him if anything happened in the greater world, he shrugged and responded with:

"Now then, what does Stonewealth need from the Mountainhomes?" he asked me, pulling out a scroll to take notes.
"We have not found any metals yet, so we might need iron. We would certainly need some drinks, too -- if we ever run out here, we have nothing but saltwater in the river, and we can't drink that --"
"A screw pump can purify water, you know--"
"We're still getting started on the fort proper, we don't have time for building purifier systems. Also, we could use some meat -- we have no hunters or butchers here yet, and to be honest, plump helmets and eggs are not a good diet."
"I'll take that under consideration. Anything else?"
"No, nothing."
"Now then, here is what the Mountainhome has told me you should produce..."

"...are you preparing for a war?" I asked Kol warily. "Are the Terrors of Turquoise mobilizing?"
"No, nothing from the goblins yet, but we want to be prepared."
"I see."
"Well then, if there is nothing else, I will look forward to meeting with you next year."

I step out of the dormitories to see a wagon train arrive. "Ahh... Welcome to Stonewealth! I'm still getting things ready..." I tell the traders. As soon as there's a few gems and mugs at the depot, I will start talking to Ezum, the lead trader.

Sandstone
I pulled off a few trades to get us a few supplies, some good food, and I picked up a book as well (that was rather expensive). Overall, I made sure the trader got enough profit to be estatic -- hopefully next year they'll have lower expected margins. I watch as they pack up and move on.

As they leave, I notice StrangeAeon... "training" with the local fauna.

...more migrants are coming... eight of them.

The recent arrivals are:

Timber
This is what happens when you let eggs go unattended -- we now have baby turkey... chicks? (Note in margin: What are they called again)

I almost got bowled over by daedalus, one of our new arrivals, in the warehouse. He seemed... somehow withdrawn.

He has taken possession of a craftsdwarf's workhouse, and wants bones apparently. I quickly order a butcher's workshop to be built and a useless yak slaughtered.

As soon as the yak was felled, daedalus quickly ran to grab its bones and take them back to the workshop. He is now laboring on something...

We get a message that a human swordsman has come to visit. I am intrigued -- has she actually gotten lost?

I took part in singing a goblin melody in our dining hall, which we call the "Syrups of Fierceness". It was ok, but we really needed instruments. (Note in margin: Look up how to assemble instruments for greater morale)

A human poet has been reported in the area. Is he visiting us as well?

While I was talking to our human guests, I heard a yell from the work areas. Fearing the worst, I ran over there, only to see that daedalus had finished his job -- a yak bone spear.

He calls it "Wispyskunk the Ram of Onslaught." It sure is... pointy.

I decide to give our dwarves a bit of a pep talk. These dwarves need to know about the dangers of ennui when in a new settlement.

...they responded with this. I will not state my opinions on whether I consider it an insult or not.

:siren:Attention potential overseers! Get an audition post in soon, there is only one update left from me!:siren:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Danny Glands posted:

Wispyskunk the Ram of Onslaught

I thought for a minute they had the same name.

Prospective overseers: if you're thinking about overseering, it's a lot less hassle this early in the story than later. Hint hint

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?

Danny Glands posted:

The recent arrivals are:

[*]Torran, another ranger,

A dwarf with 12 children, who's very fat and has mustache braids?

A nice start.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, so instruments now have a use? Neat.

And that statue? I think it's because you've fed them nothing but plants. They must think you think they're elves. :D

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Diary of StrangeAeon Narrowcloisters
Sandstone 250

New diary for a new chapter of life!

I got a blank journal from the traders today before they left. I'm not really great at crafting things, so I didn't have much to offer except this cuddly langur I found outside-- langurs are kinda cute but they're also pretty handsy about stealing things, so I had to break its hands before it could make off with anything from the fort! I didn't think a Gently Used Langur would go for much in trade, but the traders all loved it! They got me a cheap blank book and were all like "YES! PLEASE! Go enjoy that, go enjoy it somewhere else please Armok." The journal's a little worn around the edges, but now it's got my handprints all over it, and I think a little personalization really makes the difference.

I love it when economy works out for everyone. :3: (See, and now I have a place to doodle little smiley faces!)

So, new chapter of life, I said, and that means NEW HOME! It's called Stonewealth, which is a nice name, and I'm really happy here because everything's going well and everyone's getting along! I haven't had to break anyone yet, not even a little (except for the langur), and DannyGlands the expedition leader made me the Militia Commander! It's everything I dreamed of, except for all the parts that aren't, like not actually having any squads to train or any equipment to speak of. And also getting pulled away from patrolling the fort/slowly growing hole in the ground to do stuff like haul, and set up furniture, and brew beer. I'm not very good at making things, even alcohol. :( I asked DannyGlands to please not make me do that any more, or else I'd have to take one of his ears in penalty. (I only penalize dwarfs on things they've got multiples of, because everyone deserves a second chance!) But now that more dwarfs are migrating to Stonewealth, things are looking up, and I'm sure I'll have a squad of my own to train into fierce warriors.

I have a good feeling about all this. :)

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
A Story of Invention in the realm of Chemistry

A tale of the dwarves of Ibeshsibrek (The Roasted Salve) and the heart of civilization within the fortress Risensirab (Coalwarm). I speak of course of the library Lukbom (The Insightful Home). Well named is Lukbom for many scholars of all races have found a home there. I wish I had the space to tell you of every scholar who resided therein, but as I lack of the skill of Tosid Zonerith (Helmedlabor) I must confine myself to but one. This is a tale of Urvad Bisekgeshud (Veilfortress).

Urvad was born in 123 in the hillocks of Boulderirons. She felt the calling of chemistry at the age of 12, moving to Risensirab and into the heart of Lukbom. It was there in the same year that her apprenticeship to the legendary Onul Purediamond began. In truth she was not his only apprentice nor the eldest among them.

In the late spring of 143 at the age of 20, Choose Adhesives was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud.
In the late spring of 143, The Meaning of Glue was authored by Puja Gamouquur (Gravepeaked) in Yellowcovers.

It has been suggested by Puja that the first discovery of Glue was actually in 121, but no evidence remains of this. Instead these two writings are the first evidence of the discovery of adhesives.

In 148 at the age of 25, Urvad ceased being the apprentice of Onul Purediamond. Urvad became the master of Nil Inodstettad (Gatetax).
In 162 at the age of 39, Urvad became the master of Tulon Besmarbecor (Pulleytempted).

In the late autumn of 170 at the age of 47, Time Spent With The Funnel was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud
In the early summer of 170, Funnels: A Brief History was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Kosoth Kolzefon (Wheelsfountains).
In 164, Mastering The Funnel was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Likot Isakerith (Spatterlabor).
In 155, In Pursuit Of Funnels was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Mistem Kircog (Mergedboots).

It has been suggested that the study of funnels is a tradition of Lukbom and of scholars elsewhere.

In 185 at the age of 62, Master Of Distillation was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud.
In 182, The Hidden Meaning Of Distillation was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Morul Astzanos (Sabrehopes).
In 170, Book Of Distillation was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Likot Oltarular (Giltidols).

Likewise in the vast halls of Lukbom you will find no shortage of books upon the noble art of distillation, near as it is to every dwarf's heart.

In 195 at the age of 72, Onul Purediamond died. It will be remembered as a great loss for the scholarly community.

In 197 at the age of 74, Urvad Bisekgeshud denies Moldath Lidoddom (Tightnesscloister) an apprenticeship. In keeping with the traditions of her master she claimed that she 'prefers to work alone'.

In 198 at the age of 75, Combustion: The Definitive Guide was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud.
In 153, The Interpretation Of Combustion was created in Risensirab by the human Onul Purediamond.

In 214 at the age of 91, The History Of Burning was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud.

In 226 at the age of 103, Acids And Alkalis: A Brief Introduction was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud.
In 225, Errors In Acids And Alkalis was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Moldath Lidoddom.
In 220, Victory By Alkalis And Acids was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Endok Ritanlikot (Begunink).

It is these works that paved the way for what Urvad would do next. The works include of course Errors In Acids And Alkalis by Moldath Lidoddom the very scholar denied apprenticeship by Urvad herself.

In 227 at the age of 104, In Pursuit Of Spirit Of Niter was created in Risensirab by the dwarf Urvad Bisekgeshud.

It documents the first true invention of Urvad Bisekgeshud, the spirit of niter. At last Urvad had earned her place in the legends of Risensirab beyond any shade of doubt.

Rotekian fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 7, 2016

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Lawman 0 posted:

What do you think about dwarven art?

I like recursion.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Rotekian posted:

A Story of Invention in the realm of Chemistry

I love this stuff. Might do some legend digging myself even though I don't especially want to oversee.

e: I feel embarrassed to have to ask, but how do I get the Stonewealth data to work with a DF 0.4.6 installation? I presume that's the correct version of the game. I haven't actually played DF in a long time.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 7, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Maugrim posted:

I love this stuff. Might do some legend digging myself even though I don't especially want to oversee.

e: I feel embarrassed to have to ask, but how do I get the Stonewealth data to work with a DF 0.4.6 installation? I presume that's the correct version of the game. I haven't actually played DF in a long time.

The save folder goes in root/Data/Save/. The raws are totally baseline stock vanilla raws, formatted to use the Phoebus graphics pack. The current realization of the Lazy Newb Pack handles that part pretty neatly.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

scamtank posted:

The save folder goes in root/Data/Save/. The raws are totally baseline stock vanilla raws, formatted to use the Phoebus graphics pack. The current realization of the Lazy Newb Pack handles that part pretty neatly.

I would like to get in on the Legends thing too but I am stupid require a more in depth explanation how to find this info.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Edit: sorry for dub post

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 8, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Gridlocked posted:

I would like to get in on the Legends thing too but I am stupid require a more in depth explanation how to find this info.

When you choose a save go to "Legends" (or use openlegends in a running game with dfhack) and export everything. DFHack provides a helper: running export-legends all exports all of the data (plus some extras) for you.

As for viewing the data, LNP has both LegendsViewer (.net, windows) and LegendsBrowser (java, all platforms and web based) for processing the files and browsing easily.

You can also use the legends view in game to browse, but its as good as any UI in DF.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So this is my first lovely attempt. I suck at art but that's OK I think because so do drunk rear end Dwarves half the time.

The Abridged Treatise on the Gods of The Roasted Salve
Your complete A-Z on the gods YOU love.TM

As Walloil the Turquoise Avalanche

Goddess of Mountains, Sovereign of Jade, Lady of the Glittering Green, She-Of-The-Stone-Eyes

Attributed Notable Events: None.

Noted Worshipers: None.

Yep I'm going to do a lovely one of these for ever god of our civ; that is my contribution. Yeah gently caress that my art is awful and I won't over expose people too it. Cataloging poo poo it is.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 8, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I thought it was a fun little engraving. :3:

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah please do all the gods, that is wonderful!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I really like that god art. It suits Dwarf Fortress.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The Abridged Treatise on the Gods of The Roasted Salve
Your complete A-Z on the gods YOU love.TM

As Walloil the Turquoise Avalanche
Goddess of Mountains, Sovereign of Jade, Lady of the Glittering Green, She-Of-The-Stone-Eyes

Depicted As: A Female Dwarf

Noted Worshippers: None.

Betan the Kindness of Glens
Goddess of Silence, The Eternal Librarian, The-Quiet-Contemplation-Of-The-Glens, Hushed Lady

Egul Breachedcastle the Sculptures of Direction
Goddess of Courage and Food, The Provider, Mother-To-Us-All, The Chiselled Sandwich, Patron of Farmers

Erith Thriftydonkeys
God of Metals, Crafts, Labor and Fortresses, Man-Of-Iron, The Worker Within, Erith Cheapass, The Chosen Craftsman, Warden of the Gates, The Shining Gold Guardian

Depicted As: A Male Dwarf

Gasis Sternspring the Beige Skirts
God of Music, Youth, Children and Birth, The-One-In-The-Dress, Patron of the Mothers, Gasis Springstep, The Young Drummer Boy, The Young God, Protector of the Children

Mebzuth
Goddess of Suicide and Rain, The Eternally Depressed, The Saddening Downpour, One-No-One-Loves, Mebzuth-Rain-Of-Bloody-Tears

Nokgol
Goddess of Theft, Nokgol Stickyfingers, The Crook, The Goblin-Insurance Saleswoman

Reksas Lonelyhaunt
Goddess of Misery and Torture, The Mother-In-Law, Lady of The Nine-Tailed Tongue, The Lonely Haunted One, Sister of Mebzuth

The Courageous Brilliance
God of Mist and Storms, He-Who-Blows-On-The-Wind, Lord of Thunder, The Refreshing Rains, Brilliance-Of-The-Storms

The Yellow Avalanche
Goddess of Minerals, Jewels and Wealth, Sister to Erith Thriftydonkeys, Lady of the Golden Skred, The Favoured Goddess, Patron of the Wealthy, She-Who-Is-The-Wealth-Of-The-Depths, The-Snow-That-Should-Not-Be-Eaten

Zefon
God of Deformity, Disease, Death and Rebirth, He-Who-Is-Death-Incarnate, The Decrepit, Zefon Plaguetwister, That-Which-Disrupts-The-Cycle, Lord of Rotting Corpses, The Dark One

Attributed Notable Events: In 23, early autumn, (15th of Limestone) Zefon Plaguetwister used his powers to summon forth a slab of the blackest Jet from deep within the earth. On it he is said to have carved his secrets to disrupting the cycle of life and death; allowing mortals who are able to interpret the writings to obtain immortality. He gifted this artefact, called Ashenlust by scholars nowadays, to Sarvesh Bronzebraved the dread Necromancer.

Noted Worshippers: Sarvesh Bronzebraved, Dwarf Necromancer: Arguably the greatest of all Necromancers ever. Owner of the sacred words of Zefon carved into a slab of solid Jet "Ibruknethgon", called Ashenlust, which is said to contian the secrets of life and death.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 8, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It menaces with blocks of wasted time! :neckbeard:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Arglebargle III posted:

It menaces with blocks of wasted time! :neckbeard:

Actually the only really time consuming thing, not counting the drawing in the previous post, was making up titles for each god.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Gridlocked posted:

Actually the only really time consuming thing, not counting the drawing in the previous post, was making up titles for each god.

They are excellent, it took me a few gods to realise they were yours and not in-game nicknames from various civs. Also, if you can be bothered I would actually love to see carved depictions of the other gods as well.

(Please could you fix the spelling of Erith Cheapass, it's too perfect to be spoilt by a tiny error)

If I can get these legends to export, I will delve into poetic forms. And other related stuff later if nobody else claims it.

necrotic posted:

When you choose a save go to "Legends" (or use openlegends in a running game with dfhack) and export everything. DFHack provides a helper: running export-legends all exports all of the data (plus some extras) for you.

export-legends came up as an unrecognised command. I had to omit the hyphen: exportlegends all

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 8, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Banana Man posted:

And a list of the major civs:

There's something important missing here:

Although there have historically been four dwarven civilizations, only one is still extant. Our heroes, the founders of Stonewealth, are therefore pioneers from The Roasted Salve. The elves likewise are confined to a single civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Winter 250
Moonstone

Several dwarves have told me that they would like to pray in a proper setting rather than anywhere they can get. I have therefore started plans for a temple to all of the gods at the other end of the main hallway from the tavern.

I have also instructed the miners to start making a space for a library, connected to my study of course.

StrangeAeon met with me today, and said (in so many words) that she does not like her brewing side-job, and that she would like a squad. Since necrotic and scamtank are the only other ones with some military experience, I informally create "The Snarling Gears," a reserve squad in case of unexpected circumstances. For now, necrotic and scamtank remain civilians.

Someone has taken to calling the new library "The Oily Vault." What a dreadful name...

Opal

The temple is almost complete. It will feature statues of all 11 deities of our civilization.

One of our human visitors has asked to live here in Stonewealth. I accept, for the purposes of morale-building.

Airconswitch tells me he's been thinking about diseases. I roll my eyes when he's not looking at me.

I wonder why most of the works performed in our tavern are of goblin origin.

I've been told NINJEW is bringing in some meat for us. I would prefer something a bit larger, though. Kakapo meat is tiny!

I want to start growing pig tails. Solid Poopsnake raised an objection, saying they're not edible at all.
"We need them for cloth and paper," I said. "Do you believe we won't need new clothes or books?"
He was silent while I went back to my study.

I keep accidentally kicking these poults in the hallway. I can't wait until they're grown so I can send them to the slaughter.

...The miners tell me they have not found any metal-containing ore yet... I am thoroughly frustrated. I order exploratory mining of levels below the residential levels. We keep hitting gems though.

Obsidian
I noticed StrangeAeon dancing with two of our human guests.

More power to her.

I should tell the citizenry about the levers in my study. The one in the north opens and closes the main bridge to the north, and the other raises and lowers the inner bridge.

Some of the food being prepared here... leaves me losing my appetite.

I've heard that Mister Adequate dashed out of his room as if in a strange trance. What does he want?

He immediately goes to a craftsdwarf's workshop, throwing out daedalus. He then rushes to the workshop, and grabs supplies. Wood... more wood... even MORE wood? And a gem...

Thankfully, he begins to work hard, so I don't need to start any emergency material creation. Mister Adequate keeps talking about something called "Athelavan".

Torran takes a break in the library.

...When did we get these?

Mister Adequate stumbles out of the craftdwarf's workshop, dazed and confused. He left an amulet in there...

A nice-looking amulet nontheless.

Trundel is reciting some traditional poetry.

I realize as we enter the New Year, that overseership may not be the best job for me. I need to find a worthy successor.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 8, 2016

• Locked thread