Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The_White_Crane posted:

What the gently caress is up with the culture our humans come from?

Apparently, like other members of their culture, they "strongly value tranquility and quiet, believe war is preferable to peace in general". :psyduck:

... 1950s America?

If we arn't vigorously defending our freedoms, the commies necromancers will take them away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Aw yeah, I'm a hammerlady who likes books and sneaking. I cant wait to develop into a great Dwarven assassin.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Danny Glands posted:

Here are the headers:

Thanks man, I've edited them into my posts.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

What the gently caress is up with the culture our humans come from?

Apparently, like other members of their culture, they "strongly value tranquility and quiet, believe war is preferable to peace in general". :psyduck:

Budget Necrons. The ideal state of things is a Tomb World.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

20th Slate, 251

So I was thinkin what happens if some1 gets an arm bitten off or somethin

Weve got a few dwarfvs who can do doctorin I mean scamtank even gets title of chief medical dwarf but... NO HOSPTIAL

So I drew up some plans w/ plenty of alcoves for beds & chests & so on

Sheesh DannyG where would u be without me

Also told medics scamtank, Habituallyred, Carillon, Windy Skunk & Neurion theyd be workin there once it was built, think I made thier day

21st Slate, 251
Well diary, today Airconswitch came to me w/ some good news

Hes been workin on my well & gone pretty deep, he dint find any water yet but he did find...... NATIVE COPPER which well apparently its p poo poo as metals go but it IS metal

I told DG & I think he actually smiled, hard to tell under his epic beard tho (srsly I shuld write a song about that beard) his exact words were FINALLY WE CAN BE DWAWRVES

Miners r now abandoning the shallow digs & goin straight for the copper levels, feels like the whole place lit up suddently

28th Felsite, 251
Wow its been over a month since I updated u dairy... its mostly just been drwafs doin dawrfy things

Yup still drunked ALTHOUGH...

Thanx 2 my suggestin that we use the bounteous resources of the overworld at least I am not drunked on fermentd dick fungus 4 a change

I mean cranberry wine is not banana beer but itll do in a pinch

Anyway I am gettin a bit frustrate w/ how long my tavern is takin

I asked DG n he said stone takes fkin ages to haul to the workships to make blox 4 the walls

Then he thoguht a bit & said he mite have an idea, gunna put lil stockpiles outside the workshops so the workerdorfs dont hav to haul far

Hope it worx... he can be p clever sometimes just needs a lil nudging

1st Hematite, 251
So its summer I guess

I was really hopin 2 have fresh water & a nice surface room w/ a window by now

Maybe by autumn?

Stopped by Sgt Crunch 2 ask how things r doin overall, she showed me this

But lyin on her desk I noticed this

Mite need 2 have a talk w/ Torran and Organ Grinder about their choice of game

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2016

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Private journal of DannyGlands
Finally, we can be dwarves again. Wood, stone, and bone are... adequate for materials, but where a dwarf really shines is in metallurgy. While digging for groundwater, the miners informed me they found native copper. Now while copper itself is pretty much only useful for blunt instruments, if we can find tin, we could get a basic weapon and armor supply chain going... of course steel would be better, but we're... getting there.

Noticed crude drawing of prospective hospital wing on tavern floor. The symbolism is... blunt.

I applaud the human's determination to find some fresh water, but I have a fear the humans will remain "inebriated" (to use a human word) for several years.

Also, I saw some dwarves grumbling about Stasbo, the goblin artist, being our guest. I informed some of them that he has been a citizen of the human nation of the Tenacious Union since his birth, and there is no cause for alarm.

OOC: in fact, Stasbo's only kill was that of a human who lived in the neighboring goblin civ, also there's (Maugrim may not want to read this part, because I used DFHack reveal to find out and it's kinda backseat overseeing) no water under the proposed tavern area until Z-level -11, so they might want to go screw-pump (and desalinate) water out of the river and build an aqueduct or channel to supply the fresh water to a cistern

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Hell yeah I'm an old angry farmer lady who likes ducks for their quacks. Can't wait to die of old age

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Maugrim posted:

20th Slate, 251
So I was thinkin what happens if some1 gets an arm bitten off or somethin

Weve got a few dwarfvs who can do doctorin I mean scamtank even gets title of chief medical dwarf but... NO HOSPTIAL

So I drew up some plans w/ plenty of alcoves for beds & chests & so on

The best hospital.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bronzestabbed titles:

Blank bronze sword:

The font is called “evanescent” and I found it here: http://www.dafont.com/evanescence.font

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Leperflesh posted:

Bronzestabbed titles:

Blank bronze sword:

The font is called “evanescent” and I found it here: http://www.dafont.com/evanescence.font

Well now we just need a wreath made of stone for the titles and we're all solid.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Hooray, a Dwarf LP I might actually have a chance of seeing myself die horribly in :toot: I think I signed up for the last one but kind of fell out of reading it before it died, I have no idea if the list got to me with that one or not.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hooray, a Dwarf LP I might actually have a chance of seeing myself die horribly in :toot: I think I signed up for the last one but kind of fell out of reading it before it died, I have no idea if the list got to me with that one or not.
I signed up in the last one and was one of the final wave of migrants that walked in and immediately got murdered! :buddy:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Probably won't get an update in today, sorry. On the plus side I did pass my driving test :toot:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Veloxyll posted:

The best hospital.

I'm very glad of the "hospital". Big, iconic rooms like that help the screenshots make sense. More often than not, by the time a few years of expansion has gone by, the screenshots can become really difficult to get a sense of orientation or relative place from. A giant skull is a great landmark.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maugrim posted:

Probably won't get an update in today, sorry. On the plus side I did pass my driving test :toot:

Congratulations. Welcome to the wonderful world of getting stuck in traffic while everyone else around you drives like they're blind and retarded.

Anyway, I came here to post this. Maybe we can make something like these work for headers? I like the bronze sword, sure, but it fits so much better with Bronzestabbed, and this is Stonewealth, so I figured the geodeskulls or something might be a more interesting thing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Maugrim posted:

SpanishMatlock is ded lazy & dont talk much so I guess he can keep bein a weaver
INTENT: WEAVER

Hey hey hey, I got dwarfed! Time to painstakingly draw terrible fanart!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

5th Hematite, 251
apokaladle is gettin p good at stoneworking I covet this mug

11th Hematite, 251
Erm so I was boggling at frankenfreak apprently enjoyin a meal of prepared giant slug heart when his eyes got all big & spooky and he jumped up & ran off

I mean obviously he was jus gonna be sick but my BARDIC INSTICNT sez theres more 2 it

Gunna trail him n see whats up

13th Hematite, 251
Ooookay so frankenfreak just marched into the craftsdwarf workshop & babbled something in an eldritch tongue that humans r not ment 2 wot of, maybe its normal for dwarrves though??

14th Hematite, 251
Hes collected a pile of junk & now he is jus sittin there mutterin to himself, methinx its time to call in an expert... o wait thats me

Y'know if I listen closely I can almsot make out words

Cloth or thread MAKE UP UR MIND PAL

15th Hematite, 251
Aww yesss human caravan sighted! Be nice 2 catch up on the news from Orubdur & mebbe they brought some cloth too

Or thread I dont fuckin know

16th Hematite, 251
OK so DannyGlands came to talk to me today thats a first

Siad hed been lookin @ my well excavation & it was gettin 2 deep to be practixl & he had an idea

Went on a longwinded explanation about screwpumbs & salinity & aqua ducks so I jus said CAN U MAKE MY WELL WORK

He said hed already given the instrucions & would show me later

I said thankx!

He said it was all 4 the greater good of the fort, not sure what he ment to be honetst

17th Hematite, 251
Merchants arrived, brought a ton of stuff! Hell yeah us humans know how 2 trade

One of them is called Pink Princess I kid u not

I reckon I could use human fellowship to drive a good bargin but thas not how dwarfves do this, DG is THE BORKER & must do the borkering

So had to wait 4 him to cut some gems (new hobby since he stopped keepin the books) & hav a drink & eat & comb his beard & gently caress knows wqhat else

We had lotsa nice stone crafts & I thought these merchants would also appreciate some fine drawfven stew

No not the slug stew the other stuff

28th Hematite, 251
Tradin took over a week & I think they kinda ripped us off but its done now

Stuff we got............................

Backpacks 4 soldiers also an iron mace
A lil toy axe 4 the beardlings
Some barrels of milk 4 a tempry non-drunken drink (but I reckon the drwarnves will jus make cheese w/ it SIGH)
Some new scrolls 4 the library cos ppl r getting sooooo bored of readin The Baker and Zefon Relicstable over & over again

Not great but better than nothin

Bins of cloth & leather, maybe thatll sort frankenfreak out
Some thread in case the cloth wont do
A spare anvil cos why not
Buncha intrestin food
More intruments! Bupe & ibon & sewat to sort out our percussion section

A gib for versatitily

& a really pretty shessat goin 4 an absolute song haha u see my expert comedian skills there

DG wouldnt let me get the silver meben it was fucken expensive :(

ANYWAY soon as frankenfreak heard there was cloth he was off like a shot, glad I got some sense outta his raving

Hes buildin something now.......... tune in next month folks

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 19, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
But.. but... Slugs don't have hearts......

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Grey Hunter posted:

But.. but... Slugs don't have hearts......

They must have a mucus pump of some sort though, mis-labelling it as a heart probably makes it sound more appetizing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah, two-chambered hearts, but nasty hemolymphic slime instead of blood

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This giant slug did.

Till it got eaten.

That or it's Buffallo wings for Dwarves.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So I got tomorrow's post all finished and then the game crashed during cleaning objects while I was saving.

This is the third crash I've had, but it's the first time it's corrupted the save so I can't load it again.

Are there any df ninjas (scamtank) who can help me figure out if anything is salvageable? I could have sworn I set the launcher to backup saves but apparently I did not :(

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Oh drat... If this is truly an unrecoverable save, I'll waive the audition requirements for the replacement overseer if you don't want to start your turn again.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Veloxyll posted:

That or it's Buffallo wings for Dwarves.
I'm sure DF can generate settlements names Giant Slug. :v:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Danny Glands posted:

Oh drat... If this is truly an unrecoverable save, I'll waive the audition requirements for the replacement overseer if you don't want to start your turn again.

It looks like it's hosed, but I think I'm going to start again, mirror everything I've recorded as closely as possible and retcon any discrepancies in the forthcoming update. Since I won't be writing/screenshotting as I go I'm hoping it won't take too long. And this time I'll have save backups turned on!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I guess Frankenfreak managed to call forth his God and end it all.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Isnt Df hack or whatever allows auto saving out. We should be more careful as im pretty sure DF gets more unstable with every update.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Hihohe posted:

Isnt Df hack or whatever allows auto saving out. We should be more careful as im pretty sure DF gets more unstable with every update.

It was autosaving, the problem was no backups as the save became corrupted.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

It's not really "on the plus side", but at least it didn't happen in year 25.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'd like to have a moment of silence for that mug I made.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

apokaladle posted:

I'd like to have a moment of silence for that mug I made.

Funny thing, you made a masterwork obsidian crown within about 5 days of my restarting the year.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Funny thing, you made a masterwork obsidian crown within about 5 days of my restarting the year.

The mug just broke and apokaladle said "gently caress this, it's a crown now."

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyway, I came here to post this. Maybe we can make something like these work for headers?

Those are amazing, missed them first time around sorry

Gems/geodes are sort of the definition of "stone wealth" aren't they?

Replay is going okay, hopefully I'll get an update done tonight

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Good thing the Overseer is drunk all the time. It'll be easy to explain away any and all oddities.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

neogeo0823 posted:

Congratulations. Welcome to the wonderful world of getting stuck in traffic while everyone else around you drives like they're blind and retarded.

Anyway, I came here to post this. Maybe we can make something like these work for headers? I like the bronze sword, sure, but it fits so much better with Bronzestabbed, and this is Stonewealth, so I figured the geodeskulls or something might be a more interesting thing.

Something like this okay?

I've been doing a little... overseeing myself tonight so let me know if anyone wants me to take a crack at fixing them while in a less **sorghum wine** kind of situation.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Something like this okay?

I've been doing a little... overseeing myself tonight so let me know if anyone wants me to take a crack at fixing them while in a less **sorghum wine** kind of situation.

Those are really nice! My personal favorite of the ones I linked was the side-view one, which I felt could potentially have words in the dark recesses of the geode. There's also lots more geode skulls if you Google Image Search for them.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Replay is going okay, hopefully I'll get an update done tonight

Great! I'm enjoying this so far, glad you didn't lose the spirit when the game died.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way of getting hold of a detailed description of the dwarven deities, maybe through legends mode?

If so, could anyone post screenshots of them here?

I'm writing a little something-something, but I won't have access to my laptop and DF until this weekend, so it would be greatly appreciated.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The Bone Cabinet
from Hill Dwarf Legends, transcribed by Tasho Talewhispered

One of the most persistent themes in the oral traditions of the Hill Dwarves is that of an eldritch artifact. Such tales are very diverse, with the artifact in question taking a variety of forms and ascribed a variety of inexplicable powers, probably adapted by the tale-teller to suit his specific audience. I have documented many versions of such tales, and found some details remain curiously consistent:

• The artifact is always a result of the particular type of Mountain Dwarf trance fancifully called Possession;
  • It nearly always has some macabre aspect to its construction, the use of bone being particularly common;
  • It always bears a recursive image of itself - actually a popular motif in such masterworks, due to the evident skill in depicting accurate detail down to a scale smaller than the eye can discern;
  • After the artifact has made its appearance and wrought its mischief, its creator is never to be found.

Here I transcribe a typical example.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 251, when the world was half as old and twice as magical, a thriving community of Mountain Dwarves delved in the fortress of Stonewealth. They lived carefree and unsieged, lacked neither food nor drink, and created beautiful crafts from the plentiful red cinnabar; but few children were born to them, and none knew why.

A dwarf lived there by name of Franken, who had once been a Hill Dwarf until the Mountainhome yearning came upon him. The dwarves of Stonewealth had made him welcome, but being reticent of his feelings, he had courted no wife and borne no children. Seeing the plight of his fellow citizens, Franken prayed daily to Gasis Sternspring, asking him to bless them and help them to bear children.

The Young God was pleased by Franken's selflessness in asking nothing for himself, but only for the folks who had treated him kindly. With the next rain Gasis cast his spores upon the mountain, and the wombs of the dwarven women began to quicken once more.

Unbeknownst to the citizens of Stonewealth, a demon lived under that mountain, who resented the delving of the dwarves and so had laid upon them the curse of infertility. When he found that his curse was undone, he flew into a rage. "Fie upon thee, Dwarven god!" cried he. "If thou wilt so favour thy followers, then let them forget thee!" He flooded the mind of Franken with strange designs, and caused him to claim a workshop and hide himself away in it, working in a frenzy and forbidding entry to all who came by. A month passed, and none had seen Franken in that time, but still the sounds of his labour continued and still his voice called "Not yet! I must complete my masterwork!"

After a month and a day, the workshop fell silent. Few dared to knock, but those who did received no answer. At last a miner - one of the mothers who had been blessed with child - took a pick to the stone workshop door, and shattered it into rubble. She stepped through, and beheld before her a great cabinet of bone, that menaced with spikes of sunstone and images of bloodied dwarves. Upon the cabinet was wrought an image of itself, perfect to the finest detail of the image of the image of the image within. Of its creator there was no sign.

The miner stumbled forth from the workshop, but she did not recognise the dwarves around her, nor even her own child whom she dropped upon the ground. "Everything is different," she cried, over and over again, and even those who knew her best did not know how to comfort her.

Every dwarf who stepped within the workshop and beheld that image within an image within an image was transfixed, bewildered, changed. They forgot their gods, their friends, their wives and their trades. One, named Tunic, dared to climb inside the cabinet and vanished forever.

At last Danig, the leader of Stonewealth, commanded his oldest and steadiest workers to go blindfolded into the workshop and smash the dreadful cabinet with axes. As they did so, demonic laughter rang out, and a voice cried "Let the world change! Let memories fade! Gods must have followers, but I need none!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Malachite, 251
Fffffuuuuu my head hurts & Im not even sober

Hang on dorfs r runnin all over the place, whats goin on

Ooooh looks like SpanishMatlock finished his mastrepiece, thank fucuk I traded 4 that cloth

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh man Im writin laughter thats how funny this is

Fuckin dorks dorfs

THERE ARE NO WORDS

2nd Malachite, 251
Ow ow my nose who put that wall there

Srsly I swear there was a door here the other day I cant be that dunk can I

14th Malachite, 251
ALERT ALERT MIGRANTS SPOTTED

Man this place is pretty bustlin already, wonder how many more were gettin

15th Malachite, 251
Ok migrants are here

Only 10 thank gently caress, another 25 would be a bit much... gonna do the rounds now & tell em the tavern is still only tempry... man its pretty embarasing

Tunicate is a woodworker who wants to be a hammerlord whoaaaaa gently caress deja vu??

Hes married to Duckbill who is a spinner & I recokn she can do other clothesy stuff in a pinch

Tars Tarkas daaamn that girl is a good cheesemaker, she brought samples, cheesemakin it is

Pollyzoid and M'grimm are married

Pollyzoid is a hunter well theres still a slot left in the shoot squad so thats handy

M'grimm is a bowyer... bit of a nich skill, encouraged him to brnach out to general woodworkin

canepazzo and PublicOpinion are married

canepazzo doesnt have any trade skillz but can hadnle a mace thats good enuff 4 me & maybe he can take up gem cuttin in his sparetime

PublicOpinion is a wood burner wtf how is that a career

Vaal and Helical Nightmares are married

Vaal sez hes a ranger but I can tell he sux at it cos he tripped over a chickn on the way in, told him to learn smithin instaed & he took it pretty well actually

Helical Nightmares sez shes a bowyer but we really need more masons so a change of carreer is in order methinks... told her & she kinda rolled her eyes

Im SURE Danny wont mind me assigning jobs Im just tryna save him a bit of work

O wait theres one guy I missed

Says his name is fran frank frankennnnnfrrrrrrrrrr... look Im sorry diary Im feelin pretty woozy gonna have a lie down ok?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fuubi posted:

Is there any way of getting hold of a detailed description of the dwarven deities, maybe through legends mode?

If so, could anyone post screenshots of them here?

I'm writing a little something-something, but I won't have access to my laptop and DF until this weekend, so it would be greatly appreciated.

Gods don't really have descriptions per se. You can have gods that are animals instead of their worshippers' own species, but that's about it. Titans and forgotten beasts that manage to provoke fearrful worship are a separate matter.

• Locked thread