Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Question for all you EUros (haha that's what I call people who know to much about this stuff funny right?): does the Star Wars expanded universe go in for alternate reality stuff the same every single comic book franchise does? Like, oh, whoa, here's a universe where Darth Vader raised Luke in the darkside, or look out!! Jar Jar Binks just murdered Palpatine before he took over!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mordja posted:

Question for all you EUros (haha that's what I call people who know to much about this stuff funny right?): does the Star Wars expanded universe go in for alternate reality stuff the same every single comic book franchise does? Like, oh, whoa, here's a universe where Darth Vader raised Luke in the darkside, or look out!! Jar Jar Binks just murdered Palpatine before he took over!!!

Yeah, the Infinities line. But they were "non-canon" not true AUs like in Marvel or poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, the Infinities line. But they were "non-canon" not true AUs like in Marvel or poo poo.

Yeah, they had one for each of the OT where something different happened. One of them involved Yoda dropping the Death Star on top of the Emperor and another had Luke dead but Leia takes his place and is able to actually save Vader. Since Vader becomes good he switches to an all white suit.

Something I think is pretty crazy about the OT is how apparently they didn't keep very good records for a lot of stuff. Like it took until last year for anyone to figure out who played the 70's spaceman in the Cantina scene. He had an action figure and everything but nobody knew who he was.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Infinities were kinda goofy fun in the style of Marvel's "What If..." line, changing a single event, and then going through the remaining movies imagining what they would have been like if that event had changed.

In the New Hope one, Luke misses blowing up the Death Star, and it manages to blow up the rebel base on Yavin IV. In the Empire on, Luke dies on Hoth, and Han goes to Dagobah, mistakenly thinking that Luke wanted him to go train with Yoda. In the Jedi on, Jabba knocking over C-3PO results while Leia is doing the thermal detonator routine, so they can't communicate with one another, and the whole plan to rescue Han goes off the rails.

They were kinda interesting, over the top, fun if you're a Star Wars fan, esp. because they don't do the whole "Here's some minor character from the background of Cloud City I'm going to make the main character" thing. If you want to read some Star Wars comics, there are worse ways to spend you time.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, they had one for each of the OT where something different happened. One of them involved Yoda dropping the Death Star on top of the Emperor and another had Luke dead but Leia takes his place and is able to actually save Vader. Since Vader becomes good he switches to an all white suit.

Something I think is pretty crazy about the OT is how apparently they didn't keep very good records for a lot of stuff. Like it took until last year for anyone to figure out who played the 70's spaceman in the Cantina scene. He had an action figure and everything but nobody knew who he was.

Did they ever figure out who Icecream Maker Man was?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For ANH it wasn't that Luke missed but instead the torpedo was faulty and blows up halfway down the shaft. It damages the Death Star but not enough to stop it from blowing up Yavin IV.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

For ANH it wasn't that Luke missed but instead the torpedo was faulty and blows up halfway down the shaft. It damages the Death Star but not enough to stop it from blowing up Yavin IV.

<surviving rebel fighters return to alternative rebel base>
Wedge: <mocking Luke> "I've got this, I've got this! WHY THE gently caress did you turn off your firing computer?"
Luke: "This magic voice told me to trust me feelings and . . . "
<12 rebel pilots put the boots to Luke until he dies>

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Han and Luke quit the Rebellion and instead go to Dagobah where Yoda tries to pull the whole "Who's Yoda?" thing but Han calls him on it right away. Han fucks off to go be a smuggler again while Luke trains with Yoda and since nobody is captured he doesn't leave prematurely and Yoda is able to fully train him in the ways of the Jedi.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Luke tries to levitate Threepio but Endor's pollen gently caress with his allergies. Ewoks devour the gang.

The rest of the comic is just scenes of the feast. Maybe one frame of Lando - "Well, at least I got the Falcon back!"

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Shmi get's an abortion, meaning no Chosen One, therefore the Trade Federation wins on Naboo but no one cares because Naboo is a backwater with no important exports. The Clone Wars still happen but Mace Windu murks Sheev.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KiteAuraan posted:

Shmi get's an abortion, meaning no Chosen One, therefore the Trade Federation wins on Naboo but no one cares because Naboo is a backwater with no important exports. The Clone Wars still happen but Mace Windu murks Sheev.

Post reminds me that the emperor's first name is Sheev and I almost spat out my coffee. Goddamn.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Senate Accounting Committee launches an inquiry into just who the hell paid for a poo poo ton of clones and to fully equip them as a military. The Senate and Jedi pump the brakes on this whole war thing and begin doing more than sending half-trained apprentices to protect high value targets.

The Palpatine regime crumbles when an investigator discovers that Sheev has been paying to house a hutt mistress.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Senate Accounting Committee launches an inquiry into just who the hell paid for a poo poo ton of clones and to fully equip them as a military. The Senate and Jedi pump the brakes on this whole war thing and begin doing more than sending half-trained apprentices to protect high value targets.

The Palpatine regime crumbles when an investigator discovers that Sheev has been paying to house a hutt mistress.

The mistress being Mama the Hutt, grandma of Jabba.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Lando Calrissian Adventures books were the bomb when I was a kid, it's all about lawless black guy in a fast ship driving around the galaxy telling The Man to get hosed and making riches. Blaxploitation Star Wars pretty much

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Does wookipedia still have the entry for unnamed rodian wearing a jacket?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Deleted for insufficient notability

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

skasion posted:

Deleted for insufficient notability

Enough about your posting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

However there's no shortage of unidentified rodians out there, take your pick: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Rodian

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Luke accidentally sends the Falcon into hyperspace during their escape from Mos Eisley. They end up bouncing too close to a supernova which ends their trip real quick. The Empire executes Leia on the Death Star but never finds the Rebel base. The Rebellion peters out with the loss of their key Senator supporter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

skasion posted:

The Lando Calrissian Adventures books were the bomb when I was a kid, it's all about lawless black guy in a fast ship driving around the galaxy telling The Man to get hosed and making riches. Blaxploitation Star Wars pretty much

Wasn't that series written by a hardcore libertarian so Lando comes off as a horrible person?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mordja posted:

In addition to the Infinities line already covered, there was the novelisation of Star Wars which was based on an earlier draft of the script for the first Star Wars film. It's pretty different.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't that series written by a hardcore libertarian so Lando comes off as a horrible person?

Yea he later went on to write a zillion books about how time traveling federalists want to destroy libertopia with their taxes and gun control or someshit

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

skasion posted:

Yea he later went on to write a zillion books about how time traveling federalists want to destroy libertopia with their taxes and gun control or someshit

Libertarians are terrible at making their side look good.

The adventures of time traveling John Adams sounds awesome!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The Millennium Falcon is wrong.

Why do the stains from outer pairs of exhausts(?) go off diagonally instead of straight back with the airflow?

In fact the radial staining pattern on the whole ship really only makes sense if the Falcon was sat in the rain for 100 years.

I'm assuming there's a spergy explanation for all this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dreddout posted:

Libertarians are terrible at making their side look good.

The adventures of time traveling John Adams sounds awesome!

To be fair though, Lando is a horrible person, the first poo poo he does after we meet him is sell his friend out to Hitler.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The Millennium Falcon is wrong.

Why do the stains from outer pairs of exhausts(?) go off diagonally instead of straight back with the airflow?

In fact the radial staining pattern on the whole ship really only makes sense if the Falcon was sat in the rain for 100 years.

I'm assuming there's a spergy explanation for all this?

There's no rain in space so those stains are probably from rain during all the times it's landed on the ground and not flying around?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

skasion posted:

To be fair though, Lando is a horrible person, the first poo poo he does after we meet him is sell his friend out to Hitler.
To save his vacation resort city (and illicit mining operation).

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

"I've never seen anyone more worthy of my tears! You are a true hero, young Teebo. Take all the tears you want!"

Pictured: a bitchy mountain with depression.

Mount Sorrow is a sentient mountain with a goony personality. He is located on Endor and likes to murder children in his spare time. Also his tears are magic or some poo poo, luckily the ewok hero 'Teebo' tells him to calm the gently caress down.

This takes place roughly at the same time as the show 'Rebels' so I am pretty sure it's still canon!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This story still owns, paints George in the best possible light, and B.J. Dart is an incredible name.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

skasion posted:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tbf lando had to do it. The alternative was everyone gets gassed. And he got Han back in the end right?

We can't all be altruistic like Obi Wan "Ned stark" "Ben" Kenobi and tell every goddamn body we know what's up instead using it as leverage

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

In addition to the Infinities line already covered, there was the novelisation of Star Wars which was based on an earlier draft of the script for the first Star Wars film. It's pretty different.

This is the version I read as a pimply junior high nerd. I know it is because of the only scene that I really rmemeber as "This was in the book but not the movie":

quote:

Kenobi refers to a duck, a creature Luke is unfamiliar with. Later films established that ducks (or duck-like creatures) exist on Naboo.

I have no idea, why, of all things, Luke asking "What's a duck?" has stayed with me for all these years.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Kirtan Loor did nothing wrong.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I guess the most tragic casualties of the disneying are the thrawn books and the x-wing books.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Otisburg posted:

Kind of lovely when Lucas wouldn't even sign off on a wookiee Jedi. :smith:

I was running a Star Wars game and when one of my players became a jedi knight I told him he'd be getting a padawan that was "A shy girl nerdy girl with a massive chest." Needless to say he was utterly thrilled to have a wookie padawan. :unsmith:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I guess the most tragic casualties of the disneying are the thrawn books and the x-wing books.

Oh yeah man I'm pouring one out for the loss of great content that should be preserved in the canon forever like Luuke.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

gohuskies posted:

Oh yeah man I'm pouring one out for the loss of great content that should be preserved in the canon forever like Luuke.

Don't forget the true hero Luuuke, rear end in a top hat!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

*Devises foolproof military plan after spending hours locked in a room, staring at a painting of a meadow picnic as rendered by a mentally ill man plagued by synesthesia*

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Rogue and wraith squadron books were rad as all fuckin hell :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was running a Star Wars game and when one of my players became a jedi knight I told him he'd be getting a padawan that was "A shy girl nerdy girl with a massive chest." Needless to say he was utterly thrilled to have a wookie padawan. :unsmith:

Can I get a tsundere padawan

• Locked thread