Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

flakeloaf posted:

Wait, that wasn't the call?

No, see, he backed into eakin, elbowed him in the face, then fell onto him. Eakin penalty.

I'm sure they'll give one back to Dal.... Lol jk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd still take 100 Oduyas before I ever see a single Gonchar again.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

smh @ this game

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shinjobi posted:

Terrible veterans? Like who? Are you bitching about Russel again? The guy who immediately improved the Stars' defensive play? No one's going to argue about the goaltenders. But in terms of "terrible veterans" I can only think of Sergei Gonchar, and we got rid of him.

The Stars are playing bad. The moves to shore up defense were not mistakes.

If Kris Russell "immediately improved the Stars' defensive play" Jim Nill should be fired for not having signed any actual defensemen to begin with.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

Johnny Oduya, the biggest piece of poo poo on the roster.

**and with the way our management values veterans, they'll probably re-sign Travis Moen to a three year contract as they let Val Nichushkin walk off to Russia.

..... You may be forgetting a couple players

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Go someone in St. Louis/Dallas.

Go :coolfish: for sure, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Man Dallas looks like dogshit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

grack posted:

If Kris Russell "immediately improved the Stars' defensive play" Jim Nill should be fired for not having signed any actual defensemen to begin with.

The plan has been to bring up the defensemen we've had in the minors. For whatever reason, they're not ready yet. And if it was as easy as just going out and signing good defensemen, it'd have been done. They signed who they could. Russell was brought in.

I just have a hard time seeing Nill's moves so far as a net negative. 100% of the hockey universe will agree the Niemi contract is bad. But there are arguments to be made about everything else.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
loving Stars aren't even competing in this game. Ruff got nominated for coach of the year? what a loving joke.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Starsfan posted:

loving Stars aren't even competing in this game. Ruff got nominated for coach of the year? what a loving joke.

:agreed:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nill has been competent at building a roster and a drat theif in trades. Then he went with niemi and handcuffed himself. Then he addressed their defensive problems by getting Russell, who hasn't helped a whole lot (if at all).

I really love the type of team he's built but the rush moves to fix things now on such a deep and young roster baffles me.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

hey happy cinco de maio everyone

im having a lovely margarita

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The plan has been to bring up the defensemen we've had in the minors. For whatever reason, they're not ready yet. And if it was as easy as just going out and signing good defensemen, it'd have been done. They signed who they could. Russell was brought in.

I just have a hard time seeing Nill's moves so far as a net negative. 100% of the hockey universe will agree the Niemi contract is bad. But there are arguments to be made about everything else.

He's done a good job in general but there are big-arse holes in the roster. I guess that could be said for just about every team, though.

PS: Sorry that Vancouver's GM/Ownership is so blatantly retarded, BTW

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

hey happy cinco de maio everyone

im having a lovely margarita

i mean mayo

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Niemi isn't that bad but signing him to go tandem with Lehtonen was just dumb, locking up way too much money for two goalies that have the potential to just be mediocre. Combine that with a terrible defense (trading for Kris Russell haha) and a coach that I've never been impressed with...

The Stars should fire Ruff right now and hire Boudreau before this series is over

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

grack posted:

He's done a good job in general but there are big-arse holes in the roster. I guess that could be said for just about every team, though.

PS: Sorry that Vancouver's GM/Ownership is so blatantly retarded, BTW

Wasnt it like Dallas, Chicago and LA all had high interest in Hamhouse and he basically walked away from all 3?

That means I get to blame Benning for Chicago losing to St.Louis and Dallas probably losing to St.Louis. :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Wasnt it like Dallas, Chicago and LA all had high interest in Hamhouse and he basically walked away from all 3?

That means I get to blame Benning for Chicago losing to St.Louis and Dallas probably losing to St.Louis. :argh:

A whole bunch of teams did, and we know for sure that Hamhuis was willing to waive his NTC for at least Chicago and Dallas. Chicago apparently offered their 1st rounder and Marko Dano to Vancouver before the Ladd trade was made. Benning and Weisbrod didn't like Dano, I dunno what the actual issue was with Dallas but that may have been a case of ownership meddling.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tofes posted:

Niemi isn't that bad but signing him to go tandem with Lehtonen was just dumb, locking up way too much money for two goalies that have the potential to just be mediocre. Combine that with a terrible defense (trading for Kris Russell haha) and a coach that I've never been impressed with...

The Stars should fire Ruff right now and hire Boudreau before this series is over

Ruff is okay but I'd take Bruce in a heartbeat. Russell hasn't been as bad as I was expecting but he's still bad. Lethonen cost them a couple seasons already. Anyone thinking he could go tandem instead of trying trade magic or letting him rot in the a simply never watches him over the past 3 years. Niemi could have been average or this, I guess.

There were a glut of available young goalies of replacement level or better and nill just gave the two headed finn the nod. Hard to be too upset about the best offer some team in the league winning the toughest division but still...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Really depressing thing is that a team this deep and young could fail to make the playoffs next year.

Repo Jake
Feb 26, 2016
gently caress we needed that. Fak Em.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
sweet

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Boy the Blues Defense Sure is Bad

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Well, gently caress.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I TAKE IT ALL BACK THIS TEAM WILL WIN THE CUP!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Radek Faksa has become pretty much my favorite player on the team.. the one guy that seems to have his head in the game every night.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: THE NOOSE IS LOOSER :siren:

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
COLIN BIG GAME WILSON :frogsiren:

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Great defence all around!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
it's a contest of wits

specifically, who can be more dim-witted

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That goal owned.

Repo Jake
Feb 26, 2016
Please Dallas PP get your poo poo together, please.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
jesus christ edmunson

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The goalie situation is so bad for the Stars that they are STILL trying to make Jack Campbell work.

They can't still have the same goalie scouts, right?

gently caress YOU ST LOUIS

gently caress YOU

:siren: :siren:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well that was quick.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Handsomest goal

Sharks Eat Bear