Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Grace almost had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Peach wins by doing absolutely nothing

This thread inspired me to watch some Mario Party playthroughs. You will never reach the level of dickishness that I saw in one of them. It was in Horror Land, and a computer-controlled Donkey Kong got a Bowser Bomb so that Bowser could rob Mario (human player) and Luigi (CPU) at the end of the turn. And yes, Bowser takes away all your coins in every map if he crosses you when he appears in every board. I thought it was just on Bowser Land.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 25, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I remember in a Mario Party once a dumb AI DK got his first turn on the board, rolled a 1, and found a secret block with a star. I don't remember which Mario Party that was.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Mario Party 2 Episode 11 - Tank Controls

In this episode, Grace finds out he never actually knew what tank controls were. Somehow this is my fault.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Wow that music thing was complete and utter bullshit. Don't press a thing = lose. Press a thing = that's not what Peach did! :downsbravo:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That 120 coin battle :eyepop: How does the game decide how many coins to take? Just however much each person can give? I feel like I've seen spots where Goomba asks for 20 coins from each person, even though someone has less than 20.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

C-Euro posted:

That 120 coin battle :eyepop: How does the game decide how many coins to take? Just however much each person can give? I feel like I've seen spots where Goomba asks for 20 coins from each person, even though someone has less than 20.

Generally the first time you step on a battle space, it's always 10, and then it's some random multiple of 10, usually 20 or 30, sometimes even 50. Goomba also doesn't give a poo poo about the current coin totals of the players involved. As for how it delegates the money, 1st place gets 5/8ths, 2nd place gets 3/8ths (unless it's a tie for first which only happens in 3 onward, which results in 50/50), and the remainder coin is tossed out at random.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

C-Euro posted:

I think it's random, I honestly thought it could only be 10 or 20, so that was a surprise

Unknown Quantity posted:

Generally the first time you step on a battle space, it's always 10, and then it's some random multiple of 10, usually 20 or 30, sometimes even 50.

:magical:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Speaking of RNG, fun fact about Mario Party. Unless you use the slow blocks in later games, it is impossible to get the number you want to show up on the dice every time without TAS-level luck manipulation. Why? Because the dice block results are predetermined at the start of the turn. No matter what time you hit the block, the number will, in the last few frames, swap to the number it's predetermined to be, giving you an illusion of random chance when in reality your 1 was going to happen whether you hit the dice block in 2 seconds or 2 hours. That said, turning on Save After Every Turn, restarting the console and loading the map resets the RNG, so you can in theory save yourself from a lovely roll by redoing the whole turn.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Felinoid posted:

Wow that music thing was complete and utter bullshit. Don't press a thing = lose. Press a thing = that's not what Peach did! :downsbravo:

Except that's not how it works. Any action other than inaction would have been accepted there; it's a wild card, not a free space.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Except that's not how it works. Any action other than inaction would have been accepted there; it's a wild card, not a free space.

Oh, that's considerably less bullshit. Does anything in the instructions tell you that, though?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The other Toad in Bowser's Multiplying Toads is actually just Baby Bowser. You get there, the "You calling me a fake?!" text box appears, then he says he's a fake and does the usual Baby Bowser thing.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Unknown Quantity posted:

Speaking of RNG, fun fact about Mario Party. Unless you use the slow blocks in later games, it is impossible to get the number you want to show up on the dice every time without TAS-level luck manipulation. Why? Because the dice block results are predetermined at the start of the turn. No matter what time you hit the block, the number will, in the last few frames, swap to the number it's predetermined to be, giving you an illusion of random chance when in reality your 1 was going to happen whether you hit the dice block in 2 seconds or 2 hours. That said, turning on Save After Every Turn, restarting the console and loading the map resets the RNG, so you can in theory save yourself from a lovely roll by redoing the whole turn.

That is some cruel bullshit.

Edit: Assaulting grace with tickles was the best.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 27, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Witch Toad is the cutest Toad, if you ask me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Unknown Quantity posted:

Kinda funny seeing your characters hit a block and the real number changes after it was hit.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Neurion posted:

That is some cruel bullshit.

A lot of games work that way. You might be able to influence the result to a degree if you do something that wastes random numbers, like use an item with a randomly determined target or value. XCOM and Fire Emblem games (as well as the aforementioned Dokapon Kingdom) do the same thing, where taking the same actions in the same order produces the same results every time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Unknown Quantity posted:

This is not a fun fact. This is a distinctly un-fun fact.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Amusingly for all it's faults, the RNG system is more fair than 9 and 10, which, while it uses actual dice physics and a physical roll result, uses rubberbanding RNG to weight the dice blocks and random events to screw over anyone with a commanding lead. For instance, a player in first place who lands on Bowser has a near-zero or zero chance of getting a Reverse Minigame or non-terrible outcome. Just further proof that this series is built on bullshit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only thing that makes sense about why they'd have predetermined rolls is that otherwise the bank spaces might never be landed on.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Y-Hat posted:

The only thing that makes sense about why they'd have predetermined rolls is

SSNeoman posted:

Mario Party ruins friendships.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Unknown Quantity posted:

This is true for deciding turn order (probably because preventing two people rolling the same is difficult otherwise), but I don't think it's the case for rolling the number of steps. I'm not sure if it works in all games, but you can quite consistently roll high in some of them, at least Mario Party 3. See how the dice block bobs up and down a bit? Hit it as it's JUST hitting the top of its bobbing and you'll always get an 8-10. If you hit it just too late (as it starts moving down) you'll get a 1 though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Mario Party 2 Episode 12 - Finale

And with that, Mario Party 2 draws to a close! Thanks for watching, folks!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Mario Party 2 Episode 12 - Finale

And with that, Mario Party 2 draws to a close! Thanks for watching, folks!

I almost wish you cut in a clip from Wario winning on that board instead of Peach, but such deceit would be too evil I guess. But seriously, LP was fun to watch!

Now that that's out of the way, when's your Battletoads LP?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is true for deciding turn order (probably because preventing two people rolling the same is difficult otherwise), but I don't think it's the case for rolling the number of steps. I'm not sure if it works in all games, but you can quite consistently roll high in some of them, at least Mario Party 3. See how the dice block bobs up and down a bit? Hit it as it's JUST hitting the top of its bobbing and you'll always get an 8-10. If you hit it just too late (as it starts moving down) you'll get a 1 though.

If you're sure of that, boot up the game on an emulator, savestate before hitting the dice block, hit it, load state, wait a while and try again. If you get a different result, then it's actually cycling through numbers. If you don't, it's a predetermined number. Either way, there's a TAS of Mario Party 3's Story Mode that pauses and does other frame screwery to influence future turns. It's a lot of fun to watch, and kind of cements in the whole RNG manipulation thing considering they hit the dice block as early as possible, a possible 1-frame pause aside.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I was wondering about that seventh symbol for ages until you flicked over it at the end there. I suppose Rules Land doesn't actually involve a playable board?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
It's so nice of you to let Grace win it in the end Dan.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Grace went the entire LP without saying "Ten out of ten."

Therefore Grace loses.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nobody got to show off Big Boo on that board. If you use the Skeleton Key on the top right door and it's night, you can have Big Boo steal coins from every player in exchange for 15 coins. And if you've got 150 coins, it can steal a Star from each player.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Y-Hat posted:

Nobody got to show off Big Boo on that board. If you use the Skeleton Key on the top right door and it's night, you can have Big Boo steal coins from every player in exchange for 15 coins. And if you've got 150 coins, it can steal a Star from each player.

He returns in Boo's board in Mario Party 4, except this time not only is he off in a corner, but he requires people to have landed on one of the two ? spaces in front of him 3 times before he finally appears.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Grace wins!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

America wins!

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING
I sure am glad we all agreed at the beginning this was winner of the last round takes all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Hahahahaha! Monarchy wins! Peach is the hero of the people!...OH GOD WE'RE hosed!

• Locked thread