Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ellard

Ellard fussed around trying to get things ready for the arrivals. Although he was glad to have his medkit available setting up a triage station in a hanger was something well outside of his comfort zone. Still when the wounded started arriving it was like a switch flipped inside of him. While hesitant and polite in private, in the operating room he was a ship's captain. His first glance told him that the soldier in critical condition was not something he could possibly hope to treat in the meager amount of time available now. Bullet holes dotted the man's chest and his face was ashen gray, the only sign of life was the fluttering of his eyelids. Thank the stars that Lazarus patches had been invented in the good old days. Quickly stripping his armor Ellard ably applies the patch to the mans chest and the chemicals and nanotechnology quickly set about stemming bleeding and doing some minor repair. His second patient was someone he knew personally. He had been a handsome guard named Radley, but now the right side of his face had been torn by bullets and his eyes swam with concussion. Once again Ellard quickly saw to the bleeding and injected the correct dosage of Beta-Orizine to prevent his concussion developing into full fledged schock. Finally the last soldier clutched his arm, it seemed that he had a compound fracture. He stammered that his name was Pvt. Power and that he had been blown into a wall by a grenade. Carefully splinting his arm while reassuring him that everything was fine now that Gen was in control he again checked for concussion and made sure his patients were ready for immediate evac.

I did the rolling out of order because I thought the lazarus patch stabilised them and then I would need to make a second check to treat however it seems I should have made the checks together. If you click the link it'll say round 4 but I hope you don't mind me using the roll for round 1.

Round 4 1: Stabilised Soldier Difficulty 6: 2d6+2 7
Round 2: Difficulty 10 Tech/Med: 2d6+2 11
Round 3: Difficulty 8 Tech/Med: 2d6+2 6
Round 3: Difficulty 8 Tech/Med Reroll: 2d6+2 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Kieran

You're under time pressure, you can only do one of the three things at a time - the turrets, the fire suppression or rigging the hallway to be flammable. Since Sunshine is about to close the door, I'll take it you're going to make the hall flammable first. The skill checks you've made will count as successes on next rounds, but you can change your mind and do something else if you wish.

You can't control the turrets, but you can hack them to operate in manual mode. There are two in the hangar and one in the corridor outside. Any one of you will be able to use them through your data pads with Gunnery/Int or Dex instead of doing any other action. They are equipped with an auto variant of a void carbine (2d6+2, +2 to hit) and don't need to be reloaded.

Thats why I wanted to have the deck crew make the hall super flammable, since I only get 2 actions before the boarders get here. I figure setting the hallway on fire is the least important part, the fire suppression system and turrets are way more important. I'll go ahead and just setup the turrets for anyone to fire, and take manual control of the fire suppression system.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Things are starting to take shape. The security team scrambles to set up cover. The wounded are being stabilised. The techs have finally snapped out of their shock. You're starting to feel more than hope. Confidence? At the very least the conviction that if you're going to die today, you'll make the fuckers pay for it dearly.

The super hot flame of a cutting torch peeks through the metal of the hangar door. Your spirits don't fall. There's still work to do, but you're as ready as you can be to repel the boarders.

To keep your spirits high, Gen rebroadcasts the transmission he just received.

"CIS Bitterhold, this is captain Evans of the Eagle Patrol Ship Raptor. Received distress call. Calculated most efficient rendezvous vectors, attached. We're approaching on full burn. If vector followed, rendezvous at T minus 63 minutes. Further S&R responders behind us. Can you give us an updated sitrep?"

Gen

Difficulty 6 Athletics/Dex (-1, +1) Climbing: 2d6 11

There is no walkway or gantry above the door. That won't stop you. Just means your angle of attack will be even more unexpected. You effortlessly climb up and wedge yourself in the angle between the wall and ceiling.

You take manual control of the turret in the corridor. They're professionals, and it's likely you'll only get a few seconds from when you first twitch the barrel to when the turret is slag. So you'll make them count.

Climbing was one action, and taking control of the turret doesn't count as a second one. Using it will. I presume you want to do some damage before the fighting starts, let me know if you'd rather wait and use the turret after they get through the door.

Reminder: 5 enemies, AC2, 6 HP each. Combat rules are on page 60 of the rulebook, but in summary: d20+target AC+relevant bonuses. 20 and over is a success. Natural 20s always hit, natural 1s always miss.

Roll and describe what happens! Remember, you get +2 to hit for auto fire, and +2 damage after you hit. You also get +1 to hit for the element of surprise. The turret's weapon is 2d6 damage (+2 for auto). In this instance, due to the element of surprise, if you do enough damage to kill a target, you can do the rest of the damage to the next, but have to roll to hit again. If you get a monster of a damage roll, you can go on to the third target, rolling to hit again.

Cara

That seems to have done the trick. One of them immediately pipes up and continues your momentum. "You heard the ladies, gentlemen! Suit up and get to work. David, you're with me on the shuttle. Rest of you, see if you can fry the life support circuitry and prevent them from venting us. Cara, what do you need on the shuttle?"

If you use your previous roll for repairing the shuttle as your second action, you will have spent all your actions before boarders show up. You'll still need a second success after the fighting starts, but with the techs helping you it will be an automatic success, just an action.

Techs roll difficulty 9 Mess with life support: 2d6+1 7 - fail. They still get one more try before the atmo starts venting. You could run over and help them out to guarantee success, but then you're not spending that action on the shuttle.

Sunshine

The shuttle comes to life with a soft hum and a gentle vibration under your fingertips, barely perceptible through the suit gloves. For you, it's the best feeling in the world.

You still have one more action before the fighting starts! You can go do whatever, or if you feel it's more in character, you can stay in the shuttle and tweak the settings to compensate for higher than normal load. That will be an automatic success, and give you a +1 to the piloting check to get out unscathed.

Ellard

The more you work, the more confidence you feel. Instincts and muscle memory take over. This is what you were meant to do. You feel an intense sense of purpose and fulfilment saving these men's lives. As soon as you stabilise them, you direct them to Sunshine's shuttle and tell them to strap in as best they can while taking up as little space as possible. They're not in fighting condition, and this will get them out from under anyone's feet. When more arrive, you'll all have to board fast.

You've used the two actions before boarders breach the door, and one for the first round of combat.

Kieran

You thought about spraying the hall with shuttle fuel, but the techs were in too much disarray to help. Checking the fuel stores, you quickly abandon the idea of doing it yourself. In space, mass and volume are your enemies, even nowadays. This means fuel has to have immense energy density, and there are compromises made to achieve that. You begin to see why someone felt the need to come up with the innocuous marketing name Sparklite. The amount of warning symbols makes your head spin. Flammable and explosive, obviously. Volatile. Corrosive. Toxic fumes. Carcinogenic. It goes on like that. You'd rather not handle it without proper training and protective equipment.

You turn to what you're best at - making computer systems do things they're not meant to do. The turret security protocols are hardcoded and there's no way you can get them to fire on friendly IFF codes, but through a series of minor error-causing attacks you get the turrets to default to a failsafe manual mode. You send the codes to everyone's compads, then proceed to take control of the fire suppression system.

You can use the fire suppression system to help Gen out with the element of surprise, giving him two attack rolls in one round before the door is breached, or use them after they've breached giving the boarders -1 to hit and +1 to AC (plus to AC being bad, remember) throughout the engagement.

Overview

One turn before intruders breach.
One turn before atmosphere is vented. Techs have one more chance at a roll.
Security team uses all their actions to set up cover. You get -1 AC throughout the engagement.
Gen has one action left to do some damage before the fighting starts.
Kieran has one action left, which he can use to help out Gen or so something else.
Sunshine has one action.
Cara and Ellard have spent their actions if they don't change their minds.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 11, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm happy with my actions as stated so far.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Ellard
Forgot to mention. You've saved a life! You can cash in the goal for 200 xp or hold on until you save a PC life, which I'll give you 500 for.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'll wait until we get something a bit more dramatic like a named NPC who we have a relationship with or a PC to cash in that goal. It seems a bit anticlimactic to achieve a character goal in the first encounter on a person who just fell into my lap.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Kieran

You thought about spraying the hall with shuttle fuel, but the techs were in too much disarray to help. Checking the fuel stores, you quickly abandon the idea of doing it yourself. In space, mass and volume are your enemies, even nowadays. This means fuel has to have immense energy density, and there are compromises made to achieve that. You begin to see why someone felt the need to come up with the innocuous marketing name Sparklite. The amount of warning symbols makes your head spin. Flammable and explosive, obviously. Volatile. Corrosive. Toxic fumes. Carcinogenic. It goes on like that. You'd rather not handle it without proper training and protective equipment.

You turn to what you're best at - making computer systems do things they're not meant to do. The turret security protocols are hardcoded and there's no way you can get them to fire on friendly IFF codes, but through a series of minor error-causing attacks you get the turrets to default to a failsafe manual mode. You send the codes to everyone's compads, then proceed to take control of the fire suppression system.

You can use the fire suppression system to help Gen out with the element of surprise, giving him two attack rolls in one round before the door is breached, or use them after they've breached giving the boarders -1 to hit and +1 to AC (plus to AC being bad, remember) throughout the engagement.

Kieran

Kieran decides to wait until the door is breached to set off the fire control system. Making them easier to shoot, and us harder seems much more valuable than 1 extra shot before they get in. Kieran stays in the shuttle to avoid getting caught in the initial crossfire until after he sets off the prepared trap. Then, depending on the situation, he'll go actually start shooting or whatever else is needed.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Sunshine

Sunshine takes a moment to help the wounded guards into the shuttle.

"Squish in, enjoy the leg room while you can."

She makes sure everyone gets into their vacc-suit, and is strapped in as best they can. After that, it's a few more pre-flight checks to make sure the shuttle can handle any additional load.

I'll take an action to prepare the shuttle for any additional load.
Once combat starts, I'll control a turret from my compad, unless anybody else requests my help with something that isn't too dangerous.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kieran

If there are extra vac suits, Kieran will be squeezing into one if he has time. Don't want to die that way.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen*Chatham

Jammed in an arch between the wall and ceiling, Gen can't help but feel like a loudspeaker or wireless access point as he relays the information from the new broadcast. As for why he was up there in the first place? Most security and military teams versed in breaching and control tactics secure the horizontal before addressing the vertical. While he was pretty damned sure that this group had trained for zero-g combat, the gravity wasn't exactly off yet. Primed and ready for an assault from above, Gen continues his networking as the clock rolls down.

code:
Raptor, this is acting captain Gen Chatham of Citadel Security.
Currently engaged with an estimated 30 enemy combatants.
Enemy armed with radiological devices.
Estimate 30-40 evacuees, primarily wounded.
Anticipate 30 minutes before overrun. Shuttles overfilled - possible men overboard and adrift.
Godspeed, Raptor.
Backup was arriving, but it would be a while. They had to hold out as long as possible. To that effect, he focuses on the feed from the turret in the hallway. He'd only have seconds to act.

1d20(9)+enemy AC(2)+gunnery skill(-1)+surprise(1)+auto fire(2)=13 - fail

Still getting used to this whole brain-controlled turret thing, Gen's initial shots ping off of the door, bouncing ricochets harmlessly off of the incoming armor. Emitting a swear not entirely unlike a modem handshake, he can at best hope to have provided a distraction. Still, he keeps the proverbial trigger held down for as long as he can. Bracing himself for a swarm of pissed off combatants with flashbangs, he prepares his audio and flare compensation. If there isn't one built into the armature, can I logic one up? A no is ok!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cara

Nope, Cara's going to stay focused on the shuttle.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
music

Difficulty 9 Techs messing with life support: 2d6+1 11 Success!

Just before the cutting torch finishes tracing the outlane of an entrance, the techs triumphantly shout over the comm channel. "Life support circuitry wrecked! No way they can do anything remotely now." Then it's pandemonium. You're all expecting it, so you turn away until after the flash and chaff grenades have detonated. It only buys them enough time to get through the door and fan out - and Kieran hits them with the full might of the station's fire suppression systems. The combat hardsuits' joints visibly frost over, immediately changing the intruders' movement from practised and effortless to awkward. They weren't expecting this much organised resistance. Everything was easy up to this point. They're caught off guard.

Instead of rolling initiative, all of you get to act first. Due to the fire suppression trick, they get +1 to AC and -1 to hit.

The able members of the security team open fire with their pistols.

Security 1 vs hostile 1: 1d20+3+1 21 Hit!
Security 1 damage: 1d8 6 Hostile 1 down!
Security 2 vs Hostile 2: 1d20+3+1 23 Hit!
Security 2 damage: 1d8 7 Hostile 2 down!
Security 3 vs hostile: 1d20+3+1 7 Miss!

With good leadership, motivation, their backs against the wall and engagement stacked in their favour, the security guards prove extremely effective. A flurry of pistol rounds hits their targets and enough of them get through the armour to drop two hostiles. Three left.

Dang, your buddies turned out to be pretty badass. Looks like you got this.

Gen

So much for the turret. Not like it would be any more useful now there's no LOS.

You take a moment to check on the progress of the boarders in cell block D. Seems they've extracted the inmate, suited him up and are heading towards one of their initial breaching points. You note that a few are missing the bulky backpacks you first saw them with. Those must be low-yield tactical nukes they brought on-board to guarantee destruction of the station. You don't have much time.

"Chatham, Raptor. Acknowledged. Be advised your no-fly zone still appears operational. Engaging automated emplacements to clear path for S&R. Infirmary stands ready to receive wounded. Godspeed."

Your plan worked. You're in a perfect position and they have no idea you're there. You now have the choice: engage them with your integrated rifle, or drop down in-between them and engage in hand to hand, causing even more disarray?

If you go the hand to hand route, I'll give you the first hit without rolling to hit, due to the circumstances.

Ellard

You're finishing treating the last wounded person right as the gunfire starts. You pack up your tools - there'll be no time to treat people until you're on the shuttle.

You've spent your action for the first round of combat already, but you get to fight back next round.

Sunshine

These are only light shuttles, and going overweight makes them handle like a pregnant whale. You're not entirely sure what the common expression means. Thankfully, you've got some tricks up your sleeve. Change the fuel burn rate here, adjust throttle sensitivity there, adjust gyro-stabilisers... You're ready. With that done, you turn your attention to the fight and take manual control of one of the turrets.

You've got a combat action.

Kieran

It worked better than you could have hoped. With finite oxygen supply, stations take fire danger very seriously, it seems. You've squeezed into a vacc suit just in case the techs didn't manage to prevent atmo venting. You're not used to being in a vacc suit and you find it awkward. Still, better safe than sorry. You consider your next move.

Since you lack spacer background or exosuit skill, you have a -2 to hit rolls and skill checks that require movement. It will count for turret control too, as you're not used to operating comm pads through suit gloves either.

Cara

With the techs's help, you accomplish the repairs in record time. Sure, you've probably broken every regulation pertaining to maintenance there is. Overloaded systems, disabled fail-safes, a hundred hacked-together workarounds. The shuttle systems likely won't survive more than about an hour. Thankfully, you don't need them to.

Instead of coming on with a gentle hum, the drives sputter as if sick. She'll fly.

You've used your action for the first combat round, but you can act next turn.

Overview
2 hostiles down, 3 to go.
You have two turrets that can be controlled with gunnery/dex or int (justify either choice). 2d6+2dmg, +2 to hit.
The intruders are hampered by the fire suppression system. They suffer -1 to hit and +1 AC.
You've set up cover. You get -1 AC throughout the engagement, except Gen who is out above and behind the hostiles.
In two turns, 6 more evacuees will arrive.
In three turns, 7 more will arrive.
In four turns, you want to be off the station.
You have first go in initiative.
Gen, Kieran and Sunshine can act.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 12, 2016

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen.Chatham

Gravity is a force multiplier. A 200lb armature falling at 1g from a height of about 15 feet adds up to an impact force of about 6000lbs. ogod i actually did the math on this
Armor is impressive, but gravity is the law. Technically, so is Gen. The poor sap didn't see him coming. He certainly did feel the stun rod impacting his head.

Instant hit per gracious GM!
1d8=2 damage

He was crafty, sure, but something's been off. His timing is just a hair too late. The loud thud of him hitting the ground resounds through the chaos of the docking bay. Rising to his feet, his lens remains a glowing red.
"You are surrounded and outgunned. This is your only warning. Surrender and survive."

With a hit like that, could he really prove it?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
[Hostile 3] expertly uses the momentum of your blow to roll away, then in one smooth motion discards their carbine, spins to face you and with a flick of both wrists extends the suit's integrated monoblades. He or she seems to consider you for a split second, the painted skull on the visor empty-socketed and impassive. Then they charge!

Ordinarily I would roll morale here, but these people are in the process of breaking into a max security prison and busting someone out, with their plan involving the deaths of hundreds of people. They know if they surrender, they won't live long.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen's going full defensive until further notice.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Sunshine

Sunshine had manned the hullcrusher enough times aboard the SDT Hell or Hallelujah to have a fair command of gunnery. Now, from the relative security of the shuttle cockpit, controlling the arc of the auto-turret via compad, things felt dramatically simpler. It is far less labour-intensive to poke at a vidscreen than it is to swing the gun itself, and she almost lazily plots an arc for the weapon, taking her time to watch precisely how the attackers fan out.

She fires one burst: it might as well be perfect, the first bullet striking one assailant straight through his helmet, stopping him dead in his tracks, and the next two bullets following neatly behind it. The back of the man's head bursts open like a water-balloon, and he falls over backwards, dead.

Sunshine blows a raspberry over comms.

Manning one of the two turrets in the hangar bay. Target any full-health enemy.
Auto-Turret To-Hit: 1d20 + 2 (AC) + 2 (Burst) + 0 (Gunnery) + 1 Int: 1d20+2+2+0+1 21 Hit, for ...
Auto-Turret Damage: 2d6 +2 (Burst) +0 (Dex): 2d6+2+0 12 damage.
Have I got my rolls correct? Would the weapon's damage mod be Int in this instance, because you gave us the option to use it for to-hit? I dealt enough damage to kill him twice over, anyway.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ellard

The outbreak of gunfire causes Ellard's heart to jump into his mouth. The revolver rattles in its holster as he bustles around. But now is not the time for him to go samurai. He had a duty to his patients. He helps the last make his way to the shuttle where hopefully he can be evacuated if things go south in resisting their attacks. As soon as he finishes making sure the prisoner is ok he draws the revolver and looks for good cover that provides a vantage point.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kieran

Kieran fumbles awkwardly at his computer and lines up a shot on the goon now menacing Gen with his prepared targeting software.

Turret Potshot: 1d20+2(turret)-2(vac suit)+2(burst)+1(int) 16
damage: 2d6+2 9

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Mu, yep, you've got the rolls correct.
L0cke, not quite - the +2 is for the AC rather than for it being a turret. But the end result is exactly the same.

Gen

[Hostile 3] comes at you with a fury and is cut down before he covers half the distance between you. That's that then.

Enemy turn
Hostile 5 to hit security team 2: 1d20+7+4-1 30 Hit!
Hostile 5 damage: 2d6 2

The last hostile opens fire and hits one of the security team members in the chest. They'll require medical attention during the shuttle ride, but they're still in the fight.

Overview
One hostile left.
One turn until more evacuees arrive.
Two turns until even more arrive.
Three until you have to be gone.
Everyone has actions now.
I'm assuming you'll have no trouble with the last hostile, so once that's done feel free to RP all the way to you guys leaving just as the rest of the boarders extract. Decide how to allocate the shuttle space. You've managed to save everyone you could in this situation, so there'll be 32 people. The shuttles can take 12 each inside. Every person strapped to the outside will be a -1 to the piloting/dex roll you need to get out of here unscathed. The difficulty will be 6. Sunshine's shuttle has been calibrated and gets a +1. You can leave people behind if you are mean, but XP will be awarded based on how many people you save.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 13, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kieran

This will happen after the last guy is dead, just posting it now while I have time

Kieran struggles out of his vac suit, then grabs the 8 least wounded folks (who are not us) and gets them into vac suits and into the third, partially disassembled shuttle. Then, maybe, we can launch it out into space. It won't fly on its own, but if we can throw it out into space fast enough it might clear the blast radius of the station, and the hull will provide enough protection to those few inside so that we can hopefully get rescue to them in time to save them.

This may not work at all, if people have a better plan, speak up. Or if they have a better way to launch the shuttle clear of whatever is gonna happen to the station.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Further notice
Gen:Chatham

He had prepared to weather the storm, but his team was proving damned effective, picking up where he had failed. Looking toward the last of the combatants, that glowing red lens discharges a beam of iridescent light.

1d20(12)+enemy AC(2)+energy weapons skill(0)+attack bonus(1)+weapon attack bonus(1)+dex modifier(1)=17-miss

Another modem-esque screech emits from Gen as his shot goes wide. Hopefully it has at least caught his attention.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ellard

Ellard turns from helping the last wounded soldier board the shuttle to see that the assault squad has mostly been wiped out by Gen's co-ordinated tactics. It looks like there is one more trooper left but as Ellard's hand hovers at his holster he decides against taking a pot shot. He felt like he would be a liability if he started shooting into the melee. Instead he moves around to the side of one of the shuttles and speaks into his com.

"I'll ride on the side. We need more space and I'm comfortable in my vac suit considering I'm nearly always wearing it."

If all I get is a +2 from there AC and my shooting skill is -1 I'm probably as likely to critically fail as to succeed beating 20. I guess we need to fit 8 people on the exterior which is a -4 on each shuttle unless Kieran's idea is viable.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
It's viable. You could attach it to the other two shuttles with improvised tow cables, or come up with another idea I haven't thought of.

If you go the tow cable route, the piloting check will only be a -2, still difficulty 6. However, with the shuttles tethered together, if one pilot fails, both will suffer consequences.

E: forgot to mention: remember, their AC is 3, not 2 at the moment, thanks to Kieran's fire suppression trick.

There's no criticals in the system, either success or failure. Combat is deadly enough anyway, as you've just seen some basic dudes with pistols kill enemies in some of the best armour in the game. Which, hopefully, demonstrates how big of a deal getting a first go in initiative/preparing for a fight can be.

With that said about criticals not being a mechanic in the system, on a natural 1 or 20 I might go for something like it if it's narratively appropriate.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 13, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cara

Cara slides off the hull of the shuttle, a ring as her boots hit the deck. She heads for Sunshine, waving an arm to flag her down. A hand smacks the half-dismantled shuttle as she goes past. "This'll hold pressure, right?" she asks. TO her eye, it looks like it's under engine maintenance. "We could rig tow lines, but better with two shuttles pulling. You know how to compensate?" she asks directly.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The last hostile falls to the crossfire as more evacuees, led by two security team members arrive in the bay. They form up and follow your directions smoothly. It seems a reasonable, if grim, conclusion that the only ones who made it are the ones with their wits about them.

It's time to get off this station.

Moving things along before I go to sleep, and it was a foregone conclusion that he'd go down soon anyway. You can grab their carbines if you like - but it's likely that they will be confiscated as evidence. Of course, you could hide them and not turn them over. The armour is heavily damaged from the firefight - but you could probably cannibalise three suits to make one that's fully functional. You can't do that in this situation, obviously, and you'll have to take the bodies. They will each take a space like a person on the shuttle, but if you want to pack them in with people then you'll have to convince them with a dif. 6 leadership. If you strap them to the outside of the non-functional shuttle, it won't affect your piloting checks, but it is quite morbid. Vaccuum exposure will render the bodies unidentifiable, and someone planetside might be able to identify them otherwise.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen.Chatham

The last one down, the red lens winks off on Gen's "face." Still in crisis mode, he's feeling a little cerebrally taxed. Kneeling over the bodies, he makes sure to remove the helmets and check for any identification. If you can't track the organization, track the people. Saving pictures of the perps, he grabs two of the bodies by the collar, dragging them over to the shuttles. "Personally, I think we should try and save something to turn over to the authorities. It's the team's call, though." Coordinating with the remaining security forces, wounded evacuees are loaded into the shuttles, followed by the able-bodied.Getting a solid perch on the outside of the middle shuttle, he continues his networking duties.

code:
Raptor, this is Chatham from Citadel Security.
We're getting ready to launch. 2 shuttles towing a third.
We are well over capacity, and will likely have refugees attached to exterior.
Repeat, we are over capacity and will have friendlies on exterior.
Shuttles contain wounded and noncombatants and should be considered priority.
Over.
With the rescue team apprised of the situation, there was one last communication to send out. Likely to those who would be left behind.

code:
Gibson, Alex, we're about to shove off.
If there's anything you need us to convey, now's the time.
You've saved a lot of lives here today.
We can't possibly thank you enough.
"Everyone strap in and hold on tight - this is going to be rough! A rescue team is inbound - we're nearly there, people."

All that was left was to wait.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ellard

The look of the bullet ridden corpses makes Ellard feel sick. They were the antithesis of everything he tried to work for. As Gen goes about his work he turns aside.

"Let's get out of here before they blow this place to kingdom come."

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Sunshine

She gives Cara a nod. "Yeah, it should hold together fine. I've towed things a couple times before. Let's get everybody loaded on-board, and get outta here already."

She spends the next few minutes minutes helping more evacuees onto the shuttles, and making sure everybody is suited up and strapped in. Her movements have a nervous energy to them, but she remains quick with a joke and a grin, no matter how badly she wants to be gone already.

"Hey Gen," she calls over comms, "maybe next chance we get, you let me take a look at your aiming module? You might have a faulty one."

With only a few minutes to go she readies the hangar for departure, and then lets Cara know she's ready to take off.

If we have two working shuttles, and are towing the busted one, that's 36 spaces, and nobody needs to be strapped outside of anything. It also leaves 4 spaces for corpses if we really want to bring them with us, but someone needs to make that leadership roll.

I don't think any player character should be in the towed shuttle. :-) Let's divide ourselves between mine and Cara's.

I spend one round helping people get on-board my shuttle. I want to make sure every person who gets on my shuttle knows who I am, and is assisted on-board by me in some way.
I spend whatever time is required to prepare the hangar for departure (disabling gravity seems important if we're pulling something off the station), once it's safe to do so.
Once Cara is ready I make my piloting check with her.
Take off: 2d6 +0 (Vehicle/Space) +0 (Dexterity) +1 (Bonus) -2 (Towing): 2d6-1 2

~

There's a surprising kick, and the shuttle suddenly lurches upwards, yanking the tow line almost-taut, way before Cara is ready.

"Oh no, not today you don't!"

But she manages to make a quick adjustment, before anyone would have noticed there was a problem. This was going to be trickier than she'd thought, but so far so good at least.

Use Like a Charm ability to reroll the piloting skillcheck.
Take off: 2d6 +0 (Vehicle/Space) +0 (Dexterity) +1 (Bonus) -2 (Towing): 2d6-1 8 :thumbsup:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cara

"Excellent. Time to go." Cara says. She waves down the deck crew and hands out thank-yous, then asks them to help get people boarded, themselves included. She circles around the shuttles, making sure the tow cables are secure. The latch points on the towing end have explosive bolts, so they can always cut loose the unpowered shuttle if they have to. Best not to tell people that - it would only be in an extreme emergency anyway.

Cara pushes through the crowd on her shuttle and gets to the pilot's seat, sliding in. A few switches flipped and the engines go active.

"Shuttle Two to Shuttle One...." she calls on the radio, before a sudden buck starts yanking on things. "Shuttle one!" Cara shouts, her annoyance obvious.

Take Off: 2d6-2 4

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Reminder: Expert class ability lets them re-roll one check per hour.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kieran

Kieran grabs the co-pilot controls and tries to correct the wildly shaking shuttle.

co-pilot control takeoff roll: 2d6-2(towing)+1(great with starships)-1(vehicle skill) 7

Somehow, by dumb luck it steadies out, and we don't go smashing into the wall at full thrust (hopefully).

'Holy poo poo, never flown a shuttle before, hope I didn't mess anything up too badly.'

I'm gonna play it like Kieran's perk about being good with spaceships is something he doesn't know about consciously, and is as surprised as anyone when things work out with it.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Since Gen was taking the bodies and none of you objected, I'll take the liberty of rolling the leadership check for him. You'll want to decide amongst yourselves how much you turn in and how much you keep for yourself.

Take bodies: 2d6-1 6 Success!

Convincing a bunch of shell-shocked survivors to ride in a shuttle with the dead bodies of the men responsible for the death of their comrades was quite the challenge. Gen, however, was up to the task. That the survivors owed their life to his leadership couldn't have hurt. The emotionless robotic voice was oddly soothing as it calmly explained that the best way to get justice is to have as much evidence as possible.

With the atmosphere purged, gravity turned off and bay doors open, the tethered shuttles take off. It's a challenging and bumpy ride at first, the shuttles overweight and ungainly - add significant mass on tethers and you have a recipe for disaster. Soon, however, you're underway at modest burn, having gained distance from the station. Sunshine is a born pilot, Cara isn't far behind, and Kieran seems to have a knack - or luck. Things settle and get easier.

You watch on the view screens as the station breaks apart. It's undramatic. No sound. No fireball. Just a few small flashes. That lack of fanfare makes it sadder, somehow.

Ellard expertly tends to the wounded as best he can in the cramped conditions. Everyone who was in bad shape has been stabilised before the flight, and this is as much about psychological comfort as it is about any medical need.

Gen's systems, running at full efficiency for the last half hour (God, has it been that little time?) now slowly wind down. It's a feeling uncannily like the the half-remembered memories of exhaustion after an adrenaline rush. Cooling fins deploy from his carapace to assist cooling and glow a dull, fading red. Despite the cramped conditions, it doesn't bother anyone. They're wearing vacc suits anyway, just in case, and one can't begrudge a hero some overheating.

You're in constant communication with the Raptor. You'll rendezvous in about 30 minutes. There's another patrol cutter and a hospital ship an hour behind.

You're safe.

You can RP a social scene while you wait for rendezvous. When you're ready to time skip ahead, let me know.

We are nearing the end of the first adventure. You've done very well. You get 35xp for each person saved, for a whopping of 1,120. That's quite a lot, but I won't begrudge you managing to save more people than I expected! I'll add it to your sheets when I wake up, or you can do it yourself. Kieran gets another 100 for his short term goal of getting off the station. You can replace it with a new goal.

I'd like to ask you all for feedback. I'm new to this, so it would be greatly appreciated.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 15, 2016

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
You roll so much better than I do. :cry:

G3n.Ch@+ham

As things wind down and emergency linkages retract, a mentally exhausted Gen settles in. They saved everyone that came their way, but how much was lost? How much more could they have done? While what they accomplished was nothing short of a miracle for those who survived, survivor's guilt still plagues the very human mind.

code:
Raptor, Chatham.
I'm sure y0u've seen it, but
well
it's scuttled.
If possible, I'd like to volunteer for any manned
search and rescue ops you have planned.
We have evidence of the saboteurs onboard and
preserved. Team ready for debrief.
Out.
There was no word back from Emrys - while it'd be nice to hold out hope for his survival, the next few hours will tell the tale in a more definitive fashion. Still, there was work to be done. With compliments to the other teams for keeping a clear head and shepherding everyone through a tough situation, Gen turns his focus to the bodies in front of him. There had to be something more here. Checking the suits over for an interface, Gen attempts to see what shreds of information he can find.

2d6(9)+Computer(0)=9
Your call as to whether there's anything and what he finds!

As he parses through things, little blips of communication go out to his comrades.

"Guyzzzzzzzz, for what I think it's wor+h, we should turn oooover everything. They have more resources to chec√ out who did this. Still, do you think we sh‰uld get involved? One way or another, dayum fine work, everyone."

Blipping over to everyone in the team in turn, he made sure to check up and see if everyone was holding together ok.
"Cara, some drat ƒine flying! You saved a lo† of lives today. Those dockers really look up to yoµ. They'll never forget this."
"Ellard, comba± medicine is a tough, tough thing. You did great today, and you deserve to feel drat pr¤ud of it."
"Kieran, those turrets saved °ur asse$ today. Everyone on these ships owes you a deßt. At the very least, I owe you a drink."
"☼, I will absolutely take you up on that o╕╕er. My head was in the game, but someτhing felt off about this armature. Hit me up when you have a moment!"

Something he didn't have a mind to pass on, at least not yet, was that whomever was behind this would likely be after them. They clearly wanted no survivors. And here they were. tired and vulnerable, though not alone in the night. They were capable of bigger and better things, and this was a good starting point.

"6-2, signing off."

I think everyone's done a great job! I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes, if everyone else is. I just hope I didn't wind up stepping on anyone's proverbial toes! Zeppelin, I really enjoy your GMing style, especially in letting reasoned out oddities slide. I'm certainly up for more if everyone else is!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ellard

Having finished his rounds Ellard collapses into a seat. All this death. He'd been prepared for the possibility of prison fights leading to some fatalities on his watch but this was unbelievable. The whole station had been destroyed. How many had died? Suddenly Gen's comm buzzes him. Ellard's voice is strained as he replies.

"Thanks Gen. But I think you saved more lives than I did. Can I ask... Do you... Do you know how many people were still on the station?"

I think you're doing a great job ZI. Excited to see where this goes.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cara

The shuttle shakes and bucks, the tether creating counter-forces to the thrusters, sending the shuttle pivoting out and at great risk of slamming into a wall.

Cara's wrestling with the controls, startled by the early launch of the other tow vessel. Kieran drops into the seat next to her and gets control of it quickly. "Well done," she says. "You're a natural. Done this before?" she asks, and then he claims he hasn't. Probably one of those hot-shots from a long-range ship that started out in the sims and went straight to command navigation. Cara, she's never done anything that big, mostly supply runs and hostling bigger ships on short trips around the orbital yards.

Crisis averted, they move under best speed they can, gaining velocity as the station slowly sheers itself apart behind them. Cara watches with some fascination through the hull cameras, then turns away, towards her cramped passengers. Among them are the deck team, and she gives them a genuine smile. "You did good work today, brothers. All of us owe you our lives."

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
code:
Chatham, Raptor. Negative. New orders. Appreciate the request, though. 
As soon as we've transferred everyone but your squad to the hospital ship, we are to make full burn for Caerleon. 
Spooks want to talk to you. 
You've also received a formal request from them for all information, logs, whatever you can provide as soon as you can use our encrypted connection.
Be advised, the only thing our sensors can pick up is a very faint spike drive signature. Not enough to follow.
Your security grid was still operational before we blew it up.
If you had boarders, their ride was small and stealthed.
Raptor out.
A formal request from the Caerleon Intelligence Directorate is something you get to say "no" to only once in your life.

You set to analysing whatever you can find. Both the armour and weapons are from companies based on Persev. poo poo. They're famous for their discretion. Still, you note serial numbers just in case. Looking up the spec sheets of their loadout makes your head spin. One of those suits is more than your yearly salary, and you're paid well. Hell, one of those suits costs more than Gen. Or his current body, at least.

You poke around the computer systems, but there's nothing. Not even basic operating protocols. One of the suit's advertised features is that all memory banks are immediately wiped when user life signs cease.

It is information, of a sort. It tells you that whoever did this has cash and knows their stuff. The hostiles had military training and combat experience. That they didn't surrender implies their families are extremely well paid if they die, or that they're ideologically committed. That they didn't talk, didn't taunt, didn't tell you to surrender, didn't let a single word slip means they're professionals at black ops. That wasn't an opportunistic band of raiders. They had a specific mission, and they were laser-focused on that.

You remember what Gibson said. The station commander was one of them, or in their pocket. Convinced? Paid? Family threatened? You don't have enough data to draw any conclusions.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
G3n-Chatham

So much for that idea. These guys were good. drat good. It's likely they won't have any formal records, either. Still, it might be worth keeping facial pictures, DNA evidence, and dental records, if the armature can handle it.

code:
Well, kids, it looks like we're headed planetside.
Our rescuers have direct orders from CID - they want a full debrief.
These guys were good. Like veteran wetwork good.
Gen attempts to check the station logs uploaded to him for more information on the guy they broke out.

code:
Here's the information on the guy they were after.
Whoever wanted him out was willing to pay money. drat good money.
I get the feeling we might get roped into figuring out who was behind this.
If anyone wants out, let me know. I might be able to swing it.
Other than that, I'll catch you guys on the other side.
Either way, I couldn't ask for a better team.
Gen out.
All that was left to do was wait.

I'm assuming that, as there is sufficient wait time and he kinda has all of the information in his head, that Gen can parse through the prison records and give the group the info on who was busted out. I'm ready to move on if everyone else is!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kieran

workposting, I have no objections to moving along either.

Kieran examines one of the carbines that the assault troopers had, and moves back up to the cockpit with. he disassembles it and packs it away in his travel bag.

'Never know what we might find out from this later. Or at least what we could sell it for. The investigators sure as hell arent gonna tell us about anything they find from it' he whispers.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Sure, move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cara

A quick check to make sure the drift rate is acceptable. Cara turns in her seat. "Who has a deck of cards?"

Cool moving on. We'll need something new to keep this group together.

• Locked thread