Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/new-pac-asks-white-men-not-run

quote:

A new political action committee has a message for straight white men considering running for office: Just don’t.

According to its website, the Colorado-based Can You Not PAC “was started by white men, for white men, asking white men that one important question: ‘Bruh, can you not?’ We are happy to host interventions for the misguided bros in your life who looked in the mirror this morning and thought ‘yeah, it’s gotta be me.’”
Is it for real? “It very initially started out as a joke,” said Jack Teter, a 25-year-old progressive activist who started the PAC with 26-year-old Kyle Huelsman and registered it earlier this week.

But now that Can You Not PAC has taken off, having raised $1200 in its first 24 hours, Teter and Huelsman are assembling an advisory board of non-straight-white-guys to pick candidates worthy of its support. Or as the site puts it, “We are raising money with the intent of defeating mediocre white dudes and elevating some of the best underrepresented candidates of 2016.”

The two met working in the Colorado legislature and were inspired to start the PAC after watching a series of local Democratic primaries result in a less-than-representative slate.

“A lot of us joke that the Republican party is the party of old white men,” said Teter, “but I think that can be true of Democratic bodies as well. We know of groups that are doing such great work recruiting women and people of color and LGBT people. And we know white men who will give donations to those groups while simultaneously running against them in primaries.”

The PAC urges white men in urban, racially mixed precincts to give someone else a shot.

Key to their plan is that the message is coming from fellow white guys. (The site features the smiling and bland faces of L.L. Bean models who have opted out.) “People who are in the position of privilege should be the ones to dismantle it,” said Huelsman.

For a project that started as a joke, Can You Not PAC comes with a significant body of research underpinning it, including data showing that men are far more likely than women to think they are qualified to run for office. They liken their plea to a professor telling a student who dominates the conversation in class to step back and open up a space for others.

So does that mean they wish Bernie Sanders, who is not giving up a race against a woman, had just not? They demurred. (Teter is a Hillary Clinton supporter; Huelsman declined to state his preference.) “That’s not really what this PAC is about,” said Teter.

Unsurprisingly, the PAC has already met with significant backlash in its short life, both from the right, who sees it as proof of ongoing white male victimization, and from progressives who think rather than telling white men no, Teter and Huelsman should be recruiting more underrepresented people.

That’s a goal they support, but they think they were destined for the role groups like EMILY’s List cannot play, which is to tell men to get out. “We can’t simply fix the discrepancy by getting more women and people of color running for office,” said Huelsman. “There are plethora of highly qualified women and women of color running for office. The problem here also is that we have a tsunami of overly confident, underqualified white guys running again and again.”

The most outlandish attacks have been on Teter, who happens to be trans. “People are accusing me of becoming a man to blow up the white male stratosphere,” said Teter. As the first trans staffer in the Colorado legislature, he added, “I’ve worked in politics as a woman and as a man.”

Can You Not PAC functions in part as an answer to a conundrum Teter says he faces: “Figuring out how to continue being a feminist now that I’m a man.”

It seems the gesjwapo have done it again boys. This new super pac was formed to primary otherwise progressive white men from office. What are we gonna do about this?

rakovsky maybe fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I cannot, OP.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i got the top score in super pac man

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is some idiots rereg right?

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

ffs

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

rakovsky maybe posted:

It seems the gesjwapo have done it again boys. This new super pac was formed to primary otherwise progressive white men from office. What are we gonna do about this?

Donate?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would donate if they were telling white men to kill themselves. now that is a cause i can get behind.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Edited the op with a new link and some more info, I'll keep ya'll updated as this story brealks.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

LethalGeek posted:

its urs

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wow they raised a whole $1200.

This must be one of the most powerful PACs in the country right?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

JB50 posted:

Wow they raised a whole $1200.

This must be one of the most powerful PACs in the country right?

They' only existed for a day so far. Pretty soon they'll have enough to put their plans into action.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Who gives a rat's rear end you trite fuckhead

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i used the initials DIK

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
OP think fast what do you do

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Animal-Mother posted:

I cannot, OP.

More like your privates aren't connected. :cool:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Identify as a woman long enough to get their sweet sweet tens of dollars of campaign contributions, then identify as a dude again immediately afterwards so you can actually succeed at winning the support of not-retarded people and actually win something.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
lol at all the white men sabotaging each other. we're basically turning into white women at this point

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i stopped reading at "bruh"

sorry

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Wow $1200 this is gonna be a game changer lol

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
what about white retards?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
you can buy a lot of anime figs with $1200 sounds like a good scheme imo

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
at first they came for the white men, but i did not say anything...

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Down with the white man

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

white men are natural leaders, and conquerors

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

im the gesjwapo

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

drat chalkie lovers!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
gently caress I forgot how good Wonder Showzen was

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ah, the old classic, comics that have overdone "so wacky xD" faces instead of actual, funny jokes

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I am a mediocre overly confident white man. give me a piece of land.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Kill all the white men except me and I assume satanic splash-back is a white man and isaac.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Windows 98 posted:

gently caress I forgot how good Wonder Showzen was

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdOGsWq9oM

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Watch the white nationalists take this seriously and use it in their recruitment propaganda.

Watch the anti white bigots in the SJW movement embrace it.

Watch as everyone else points and laughs at them for being lovely and the same.

Watch, it'll be great and a fine unifier.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
good

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680205&userid=143131

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

JiveHonky posted:

OP think fast what do you do

Bash

Psi shield Σ

Heavy Bazooka

Who loving cares poo is useless until startstorm Ω

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's pretty awesome that in our current political landscape, all participants across the ideological spectrum are united in their tireless commitment to whine at other people to do something for them.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Proud white men of color are here to tell you white people what's up. Reminder that this isn't about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's actually extremely progressive to ask people to not participate in politics as long as they're white

• Locked thread