Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
speaking of which https://vimeo.com/165676287

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Overeem training with Wim Hof is insanely... weird? interesting? Like Wim's done a lot of reproducible stuff so I don't think he's a charlatan, but I don't know that whatever he's doing is actually going to be helpful in a fight context.

I have to admit I don't know anything about Wim Hof other than he sits in ice a lot. It sounded like a lot of what he was saying was about pH (you can ignore anyone talking about pH in a health context 100% of the time) which is really easy to manipulate by hyperventilating. However I was interested when he mentioned the hypothalamus and saw that basically all he does is breathing exercises and reinforcing an "in the present" narrative.

What he's doing is essentially mindfulness training. The variability of your heart rate is one of the biofeedback mechanisms (via the vagus nerve) to the brain regulating a whole lot of things, but at its most basic, you have very basic evolutionary brain functions that work much faster than the larger neocortex involved in higher processing. However you still need to react to things like deadly situations fast, so sensory feedback is "split" to the faster part of the brain (the limbic system/"lizard brain") and the neocortex. If the limbic system says "oh poo poo" and perceives the stimulus, rightly or wrongly, to be dangerous, the HPA axis gets activated and your mind quite literally constricts, and you get more neurons firing in the fast part than the slow part. Most of you have probably experienced this during a time of stress when you said something without thinking that made you sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, and only have a realisation momentarily afterwards and apologise.

So you can't directly control your heart rate, but you can control your breathing rate, which is linked to your heart rate, and thus control your vagal tone. Here's where it gets important, by having more control over your response to stress, you can help with things like recovery from exercise (cortisol increases proteolysis (muscle breakdown essentially) and opposes the action of insulin) but from a neuroscience perspective, the "fight or flight" response is a bit reductive, because we have a third response: to freeze and play dead, which Overeem does constantly when under pressure (danger stimulus). The immediate response to hearing that is to think well that's all well and good when you're sitting in some kook's pool but it's not going to have much effect on a fight, and to a large extent that's true. There's still going to be a huge adrenaline response during a fight (though the more you do something stressful the more blunted the cortisol response gets, I learned this from a guy who repeatedly threw people out of planes and tested their cortisol response) but you can actually alter the density of certain brain regions with even a few weeks of training.

The long and short of it is it can help out with recovery, if he's got the presence of mind to use it during round breaks it might help him absorb cornering instructions, and in the best case scenario might make him freeze up less. I did a 10 week course with a guy who uses mindfulness techniques to influence vagal tone in people with things like chronic diseases or mental disorders/addictions for a bunch of feasibility studies, it was really eye opening.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
so before you all spend an evening or afternoon watching dutch mutants beat people to death, please take a moment to yourself, so you can drift away. mindfulness training can be useful for pretty much everybody and takes almost no effort whatsoever.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Boco_T posted:

the first fight is already over in case you forgot about the fun of European time zone shows

the gently caress. cripes

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Le Saboteur posted:

Another big purse for Madadi tonight.

lol

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

pete carroll in the hawaiian islands???

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lets go krylov

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
im glad buffer finally got it right

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
panda diplomacy fails in holland

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/edhmbp/live/cf4wrz the bbc is doing live coverage of this event for some reason

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Nelson beats Tumenov in Holland

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
jesus christ lol

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ehhh a couple weeks ago i fall unconscious and don't wake up

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

Overeem is so loving Dutch lol

yeah. funnily enough the first time i heard about tyrone spong was from a guy who worked at this arena after hearing he beat up overeem in sparring. funny how things work out

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
well overeem was on the wrong end of a flurry and didnt give up yet

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
[thinks back on how wonderful mike's gym overeem was even though he lost]

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

surely not

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
god drat

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Cart Mountain posted:

that followup left was so loving fast

yeah that was lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

You guys know this is all just leading to a title shot where he he's gonna get knocked out in the funniest way possible

i know this might be controversial but to me it's good when two guys who have ten years of history and are 1-1 with each other have a title fight

• Locked thread