Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Best Giraffe posted:

why the gently caress would they think anyone would attack oklahoma? stupid inbred hicks think they're important enough to suicide bomb lmao

Have I got (really old) news for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
A lot of Algebra was invented in the Middle East. Those crafty A-rabs were playing the long game all along!

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
Mathematicians did 0.8181 recurring.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sincx posted:

Algebra is actually supposed to be al gebra (well, technically, al jabr الجبر), from the book Al-kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī ḥisāb al-ğabr wa’l-muqābala الكتاب المختصر في حساب الجبر والمقابلة (The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing) by the Persian mathematician Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī around the year 820. The word means "reunion of broken parts," which is the basic concept behind algebra.

I knew we didn't kill osama

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
See, this seems like an irritating but actually fine example of a system working more or less the way it is supposed to. Somebody saw something weird, reported it discretely, and the air people investigated the situation and found no wrongdoing. Nobody was ethnically profiled by the airline staff, and taking that angle ought to be beneath a publication like the Washington Post, it's needless race-baiting. That said, he said he was treated respectfully and that's honestly a much better outcome than I'd have expected.

EDIT: It's not even a good outrage story!

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 8, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

except it's not weird you idiot bitch

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

beneath a publication like the Washington Post

fuckin lmao

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Shouldn't look like a muslim if you wanna fly a plane imo.

TRUMP

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

except it's not weird you idiot bitch

To an average person, somebody drawing a bunch of math formulas and poo poo and apparently being very unwilling to engage in small talk fits a pretty broad standard of "weird". The lady's reaction is silly, but quite understandable give how paranoid American society is.

EDIT: In a perfect world blah blah blah

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

thats an argument for the average person being retarded not that doing math in public is weird

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

To an average person, somebody drawing a bunch of math formulas and poo poo and apparently being very unwilling to engage in small talk fits a pretty broad standard of "weird".
Well, when you do maths, the last thing you want to do is start having a conversation with someone else,maths kinda require a level of focus that doesn't work well with idle chat.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 8, 2016

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Doing math on a plane is a lot like masturbating on a plane. I mean, sure you can do it if you're really committed, but it's not really the optimal environment for it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

thats an argument for the average person being retarded not that doing math in public is weird

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A public mathturbator ??

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Even if he was writing in Arabic he didn't do anything weird just by writing.

The situation was resolved well enough, albeit very slowly.

The underlying unsettling part is how many people live in fear to the point that a dark complexion and private focus are seen as threatening. Smdh America, come on!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RobattoJesus posted:

Doing math on a plane is a lot like masturbating on a plane. I mean, sure you can do it if you're really committed, but it's not really the optimal environment for it.

planes aren't an optimal environment for anything other than spreading disease and listening to babies cry

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Toadvine posted:

The underlying unsettling part is how many people live in fear to the point that a dark complexion and private focus are seen as threatening. Smdh America, come on!

the fourth estate is a very good propaganda apparatus and our poo poo schools ensure that people are ripe for manipulation

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

planes aren't an optimal environment for anything other than spreading disease and listening to babies cry

the thinner air makes autoerotic asphyxiation SO MUCH better

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

Agreed. Just sedate everyone and throw them in the baggage area imho.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RobattoJesus posted:

Agreed. Just sedate everyone and throw them in the baggage area imho.

you joke but what airlines want ideally is basically an airborne slave ship, theyd def do this if they could work out sedative doses that had a sufficiently low likelihood of killing the passengers

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think it was one of those little dirtbag euro airlines that tried to get approval for a plane with no seats. They got denied i think

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

tenspott posted:

Have I got (really old) news for you!

he was white, that is no longer terrorism. see bush v gore 2000

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RobattoJesus posted:

Dude there has been more than one flight where you have to get poo poo done for work in those few hours the plane is in the air.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dude there has been more than one flight where you have to get poo poo done for work crack one out in those few hours the plane is in the air.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This guy knows whats up

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
the real crime here is perpetuating the myth that economists do any real math.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
the olive-skinned man was scratching funny symbols on paper

he wasn't even on an iPad or using Facebook!

let me tell you all something, terrorists are notorious for writing poo poo down in a notebook before instigating their devastating attacks

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This whole situation could have been avoided if the sperglord had just said, "Hey, I'm working on a really important mathematical formula. I don't want to be rude, but I have to get this work done and I can't really chat right now."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tenspott posted:

This whole situation could have been avoided if the sperglord had just said, "Hey sexy a mama that's a spicy meatballa"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tenspott posted:

This whole situation could have been avoided if the sperglord had just said, "Hey, I'm working on a really important mathematical formula. I don't want to be rude, but I have to get this work done and I can't really chat right now."

god if that's not loving terrorist talk, i don't know what is

seriously though, i have no idea what a terrorist would say

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RaySmuckles posted:

god if that's not loving terrorist talk, i don't know what is

seriously though, i have no idea what a terrorist would say

What are words when your eyes and your heart already tell you all you need to know

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

8-Bit Scholar posted:

To an average person, somebody drawing a bunch of math formulas and poo poo and apparently being very unwilling to engage in small talk fits a pretty broad standard of "weird". The lady's reaction is silly, but quite understandable give how paranoid American society is.

EDIT: In a perfect world blah blah blah

That's actually a good argument for why it's a dumb policy, I can think of plenty racist paranoid americans that would cause a scene over something completely innocous as a not white person doing work of on a plane and those people should be ignored or ejected from the plane not grind the whole the whole process to a stop. People with connecting flights got hosed, anyone flying shortly before a meeting or presentation got hosed, etc, all because she's a racist idiot and the planes have a dumb policy that encourages that kind of person.

We go through like a bajillion hours of pointless airport security and the likelyness of some dude actually taking over your plane is incredibly non-existent, there's really no reason to add a neighborhood watch as some sort of racist busybody last line of defense to the process. Unless you actually hear people discussing their plans to hijack and or tamper with the plane just shut up and enjoy the miracle of flight.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also where are you guys getting the idea that it's uncommon to work on a plane because honestly I'd say person working on spreadsheets/presentations/reading academic papers etc makes up like a good chunk of almost any flight I've been on. Plenty of people travel for work.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

Also where are you guys getting the idea that it's uncommon to work on a plane because honestly I'd say person working on spreadsheets/presentations/reading academic papers etc makes up like a good chunk of almost any flight I've been on. Plenty of people travel for work.

yeah but on paper? what is this 1918?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe in whatever capitalist nightmare you work in but here in Scandinavia I can bill my travel time and sleep on the plane.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

tenspott posted:

The whole situation could have been avoided if we weren't in a constant state of fear of terrorism.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah but on paper? what is this 1918?
That's still basically the easiest place to do higher level math. Lot of those symbols are a bit of a pain to type and/or the software that you could do equations like ode's in are more for solving known equations than spitballing formulas on the fly.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

That's still basically the easiest place to do higher level math. Lot of those symbols are a bit of a pain to type and/or the software that you could do equations like ode's in are more for solving known equations than spitballing formulas on the fly.

actually on tv the geniuses all do high level math in their head while they hallucinate unrelated formulas whirling around their head

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

8-Bit Scholar posted:

...Nobody was ethnically profiled by the airline staff...

Sure, he was instead ethnically profiled by an idiot member of the public. Who lives in such fear that basic math causes her issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

The article says he was doing "a differential equation to be exact"

Siri can probably help you solve those.

• Locked thread