Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?’” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes . . . I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted. . . I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

always more

always worse

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

One of those nasty open secrets no one wants to bring to light. Better to keep the status quo, stay employed, and just say, "Well, bad poo poo happens."

Seriously, this is how every coach deals with rape and criminal charges against their players so sadly it's not exactly hard to see how it would have happened with child rape.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus chriissssssssssst :gonk:

quote:

While Sandusky and the other man left, Doe was informed by Gordon he would have to pen an apology letter to the pair for “telling lies,” and that his time at the Nittany House was likely coming to an end. As a homeless youth, Doe knew the unnamed alternative option.

A: ...the threat all along was that if you had to get removed from Nittany House, you got put into Centre County Youth Detention until they figured out what to do with you after that, send me to another group home.

Q: Which is a more serious—

A: It’s a prison for juveniles.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

^^^ lol

186 posted:

Am I sexually attracted to underage boys? Sexually attracted? You know, I enjoy young people. I, I love to be around them. I, I... But no, I'm not sexually attracted to young boys.

- Someone who's totally not a pedo.

Bob Costas' face that whole time was really something

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NC-17 posted:

I still can't believe that interview happened.

Did Sandusky really think he could just make everything go away by spinning a yarn?

Bear in mind this was also still when he had Lawyerin' Joe Amendola on his side, who not only approved Jerry doing the interview, but I think encouraged it and helped set it up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

b-b-b-but it's just a vocal minori :suicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- Former Penn State President Graham Spanier testified Thursday that he issued a statement the day two of his top lieutenants were charged in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal, calling the allegations against them groundless, because he had developed deep trust in them.

Spanier took the witness stand in former assistant coach Mike McQueary's lawsuit against the university. McQueary's lawsuit alleges the former president's statement made it appear McQueary was a liar.

Spanier said he came to trust vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley after working closely with them for years.

"This was an unbelievable injustice, that these two guys, who are like Boy Scouts, would be charged with a crime," Spanier said. "And that's what was in my head as I was giving this opinion."

Spanier began drafting the statement about a week earlier. He said that's when the university's then-general counsel got a tip through the attorney general's office that Sandusky, Curley and Schultz would be charged.

At issue was how Curley and Schultz responded after McQueary described to them in 2001 that he saw Sandusky sexually abuse a boy in a team shower.

Spanier told jurors he directed the lawyer to share a draft with Curley's lawyer as a courtesy before it was published.

"Two of the people holding among the most important leadership positions in the university were going to be charged," Spanier said. "And with my belief that after working daily with these individuals for about 16 years, and knowing their honesty, their integrity, believing that they never withheld information from me, and recollecting rather clearly that meeting from 2001 ... and what they described to me at the time, that it merited my unconditional support."

Spanier was forced out by the board of trustees a few days later, and the next year he also was charged over his handling of the Sandusky matter. A state appeals court this year threw out several of the charges against all three administrators, but they remain accused of failure to properly report suspected abuse and endangering the welfare of children. They await trial in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Spanier, who remains a Penn State faculty member, testified he had no knowledge of a 1998 police investigation into Sandusky showering with another boy on campus and had limited recollection of responding with Curley and Schultz to the 2001 incident McQueary said he witnessed.

When the first set of charges was announced in November 2011, Spanier said he took the draft statement that day to about 30 of the university's senior executives. He said he told them that if they were falsely accused of a crime, he would issue the same type of statement on their behalf.

"Everybody in the room worked with them for years and had exactly the same sentiment I had," Spanier testified.

He said he wasn't thinking about McQueary when drafting the statement and didn't realize McQueary was a key figure in the investigation and an unnamed assistant described in the grand jury presentment used to help charge Sandusky.

"I was not casting aspersions on anybody else, because when that statement was drafted, I hadn't read the grand jury presentment," Spanier testified. "My entire knowledge base was from a short conversation a decade earlier, and my focus was on these two individuals who I knew and worked with."

McQueary's defamation, whistleblower and misrepresentation lawsuit is seeking more than $4 million in lost wages. The trial is expected to continue into next week.

Sandusky was convicted of dozens of counts of child sexual abuse in 2012 and is serving a lengthy prison sentence but maintains he's innocent.

ZOOM, ENHANCE

quote:

Spanier, who remains a Penn State faculty member

I am loving shocked.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

Some sort of hypertenure? I thought they'd put him on an ice floe to die.

Similar thing with Ken Starr at Baylor, they nixed him as president but he was still tenured faculty at the law school, i believe.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the dept of education has fined Penn State $2.4 million under the Cleary Act, the largest fine ever under the act.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Cleary act hasn't really been used very often. They fined Virginia Tech $55k for the shootings for failing to adequately warn students at the time of the attack, but it was overturned on appeal.

Plus these are civil penalties, not criminal. It's basically there to make schools report campus crime statistics, but it seems fairly toothless.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

good

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that'd be pretty funny in almost any other context but it's pretty much exactly right in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

When this story first dropped the dude should have cut his losses and fled the state.

Realistically, yeah, but the very idea of whistleblower laws is to prevent the exact thing that happened to him.

• Locked thread