Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Huh, this dude was president of Florida State when the Jameis stuff came down.

Alongside James Franklin those are a couple of puzzling hires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

Reminder: SMU is the one that got the death penalty.

I mean, if you force me to say something good about Penn State it would be that (as far as I know) once they got busted for having a pedophile on staff and later with access to all team facilities after he was not coaching anymore...well at least they haven't done it again. And again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

I must be getting whooshed here.

Once they were finally busted I should have said. SMU got repeatedly penalized by the NCAA for the same thing over and over again. As in not just penalized for the same thing that happened again and again before anyone (who cared) would do anything about it.

I think I intimated it's a pretty weak point, but that is why SMU got the death penalty, and (hopefully) it is not going on with Penn State.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

One of those nasty open secrets no one wants to bring to light. Better to keep the status quo, stay employed, and just say, "Well, bad poo poo happens."

Reminder that the dude who blew the whistle on Dave Bliss at Baylor got blackballed, and Coach K of all people said he wouldn't be able to trust someone who did that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I don't mean to sound "so brave" but how does nobody see that and not fly into a rage?

I can imagine being stunned in the moment and just freezing and not knowing what to do.

Now, not following up later and reporting it (to both Joe Pa and the actual police), that's where I have trouble imagining things. Like we said earlier you'd probably be throwing your career away though, and I guess that isn't easy to do. It does make you an evil person if you don't, but we are talking football coaches here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hadaka Apron posted:

If I recall correctly, Sandusky actually did get head coaching offers from Maryland and Virginia, but they decided to pass him up because he insisted on bringing the Second Mile along with him.

If this is true it sounds like it was kind of an open secret in the industry. I mean on the face of things there was nothing bad about Second Mile as an idea.

I guess they could argue he didn't care enough about football or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

regardless though its irrelevant to the fact that its kind of lovely to go around shouting that State College as a community is somehow unrepentant and not horrified and grieving for everything that has happened

You'll have to shout out the other side before anyone pays attention. And the other side is still disturbingly loud.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hell, the hiring of Franklin raised a big internal shitstorm because of how he handled sexual assault cases in his old job.

I will note that this should have raised a big external shitstorm by the way. And shouldn't have happened.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

v2vian man posted:

did you miss the part where an assistant coach raped kids and the coach didn't do anything because he had a reputation to uphold

He thinks this would happen anywhere. Also he thinks Colorado shouldn't have fired Gary Barnett.

quote:

"It was obvious Katie was not very good. She was awful. You know what guys do? They respect your ability. You can be 90 years old, but if you can go out and play, they'll respect you. Katie was not only a girl, she was terrible. OK? There's no other way to say it."

This is about a rape victim. Basically never reply to General Dog about anything like this, because he's either trolling or a raving idiot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Seriously I've been had for even pointing this out. Don't be me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats inaccurate about that? Hell, look at what is happening in Baylor. I don't think there is anything particularly inherent about PSU that would make this issue unique to them.

What's unique to PSU is that they're the only school that we know of that is publicly known to have protected and sheltered a pedophile for 35 years or so. Say what you will about Baylor (and they deserve it) but Briles was out in under a decade despite being wildly successful compared to the school's history.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That was part of the story they claimed at least. Although even if true, summary execution of a handcuffed dude, possible Geneva Convention violations...blah blah.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is still up though:

https://twitter.com/joshua_lutz/status/777165669376880640/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Will the crimes of JoePa never stop?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is from the deadspin article on it but did the judge actually use this language? Because it's both hilarious and actually seems about right with those loving weirdos:

quote:

McQueary was denied a position at Elizabeth City State for the notoriety tied to his name, excommunicated from the Penn State athletic community

Amongst other things McQueary is no longer allowed to partake of the blood and body of JoePa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Coach K publicly shat all over the Baylor assistant that recorded the Dave Bliss murder cover-up and Bliss had zero defenders

I wonder what that guy is up to now

Abar Rouse, here's an OTL thing they did on him in 2013.

He took an 8000 dollar a year job as an assistant at a D2 school for a few years then had to quit and go work in a factory because he was up to his eyeballs in debt (apparently it's hard to get by on 8k a year working 70 hours at week). Other than that he was totally blackballed. At the time this was filmed he was working in a women's prison as a 'recreations officer' I think they said.

It ends on a hopeful note for where his life is headed which, well good for him. But he's never coaching in college again.

• Locked thread