Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I feel bad about talking about AIs replacing everyone for 3 pages straight in a Trump thread, so I made this one to talk about AIs. Computer programs are going to replace us all, some more quickly than others.

Next on the block is truck drivers I think. They wont be replaced entirely over night of course, first they will deskill the job by hiring minimum wage people to mind the automatic trucks. But they will be phased out gradually for full autos in time. several millions of people rely on driving trucks for their living, this is going to be a problem going forward. here is a youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
id like to see ais try to replace my shitposting

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you think that an AI can tweet about racism and how hitler did nothing wrong then... wait poo poo

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Will they still be programmed to throw bottles of piss at hitchhikers?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Computers can be trained to mimic human speech, woop de fuckin do. Get back to me when they can coordinate the entire US military in real time.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Next on the block is truck drivers I think. They wont be replaced entirely over night of course, first they will deskill the job by hiring minimum wage people to mind the automatic trucks. But they will be phased out gradually for full autos in time. several millions of people rely on driving trucks for their living, this is going to be a problem going forward. here is a youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Meh, they'll just switch to whatever job those buggy whip makers did after the automobile was invented.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

How! posted:

Will they still be programmed to throw bottles of piss at hitchhikers?

it will be an environmentally biodegradable hydrolic fluid

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I told the AI programmer that the account code needs to be have seven numbers on the sales report, but sometimes the number is eight numbers but only on the aggregate report and in that case if it is only seven you start it with a "D" and then it deleted itself.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
its more like the increasing scalability of jobs is going to cause massive labor unrest and wage depression (already is) and thats why LOL if you vote for globalist hillary.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I hope they start by replacing the OP

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
When computers do everything, people will be able to live a life of pure leisure and self improvement, just like in Star Trek.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

When computers do everything, people will be able to live a life of pure leisure and self improvement, just like in Star Trek.

98.9 % will starve, 1 % will work as work as sex slaves for the 0.1 % (having human slaves is more of a power rush).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

yeah, this is my dogs current lifestyle. i can't wait

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Artificial intelligence isn't actually possible

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Only like the holodeck parts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol if you think the tech industry is the powerbroker of the future and not an embarrassing financial bubble that's even more obnoxious than advertising

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

Artificial intelligence isn't actually possible

how do you figure? i mean brains exist, we have at least one example of a functioning intelligent system. at the very least we could approach the problem from a genetic engineering standpoint, and just grow specialized and engeneerd brains for specific tasks

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Hogge Wild posted:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rutibex posted:

how do you figure? i mean brains exist, we have at least one example of a functioning intelligent system. at the very least we could approach the problem from a genetic engineering standpoint, and just grow specialized and engeneerd brains for specific tasks

aw hell naw

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

I feel bad about talking about AIs replacing everyone for 3 pages straight in a Trump thread, so I made this one to talk about AIs. Computer programs are going to replace us all, some more quickly than others.
Just hit their servers with a pipe imo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I work with computes every day and I've never had one fix itself or start talking to me

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I work with computes every day and I've never had one fix itself
It seems they're already more similar to us than we'd like to admit.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ehud posted:

I work with computes every day and I've never had one fix itself or start talking to me

Well, if you don't have anything nice to say, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Someone hasn't heard about the bot that started screaming about Hitler and calling people "daddy".

Hell Yeah posted:

if you think that an AI can tweet about racism and how hitler did nothing wrong then... wait poo poo

This guy has.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
go into heathcare

gonna be a long time before people trust machines for healthcare, EMS, etc

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hopefully the AI can replace the neoliberals as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ninotoreS posted:

go into heathcare

that not true at all. diagnosticians and pharmacists have basically already been replaced by AIs. surgeons are about half way there

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

ninotoreS posted:

go into heathcare

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

AI BUNDY is ONLINE

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

AI BUNDY is ONLINE

EH, NO DAVE

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

ninotoreS posted:

go into heathcare

Medical error is the #3 cause of death in the United States. When visiting my primary care provider, I'd much rather see a robot that possessed the knowledge of a doctor than whatever bullshit idiot I have to see now (Nurse Practitioner or, god forbid, a PA). When recovering from surgery in a hospital, I'd much rather have my medication delivered by a robot than by a nurse's aid who is pulling a double, forgot her glasses at home, and is more worried about Farmville than double-checking my prescription. Seriously, my entire family is in the medical field and the situation is completely hosed unless you are wealthy and can afford good care.

Surgeon... eh... yea it's gonna be awhile before robots replace surgeons just because there is significant variation from patient-to-patient and the robot will need to know how to deal with a myriad of circumstances. That being said, once a robot knows HOW to perform surgery, it will be more precise than any human could possibly be. I could see autonomous robots performing basic surgeries (laparoscopic appendectomy, etc) within a decade, though.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 8, 2016

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You're only really in trouble if your a stupid.

In the beginning robots are going to take over the menial repetitive jobs, freeing you to spend your time improving the robots and training the AIs. I'm not sure how many taxi drivers and store clerks we can teach programming, but eh let's give it a try.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Medical error is the #3 cause of death in the United States. When visiting my primary care provider, I'd much rather see a robot that possessed the knowledge of a doctor than whatever bullshit idiot I have to see now (Nurse Practitioner or, god forbid, a PA). When recovering from surgery in a hospital, I'd much rather have my medication delivered by a robot than by a nurse's aid who is pulling a double, forgot her glasses at home, and is more worried about Farmville than double-checking my prescription. Seriously, my entire family is in the medical field and the situation is completely hosed unless you are wealthy and can afford good care.

Surgeon... eh... yea it's gonna be awhile before robots replace surgeons just because there is significant variation from patient-to-patient and the robot will need to know how to deal with a myriad of circumstances. That being said, once a robot knows HOW to perform surgery, it will be more precise than any human could possibly be. I could see autonomous robots performing basic surgeries (laparoscopic appendectomy, etc) within a decade, though.

HMMM http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2008_Groups/group12/Roboticsurgery.html

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Rutibex posted:

that not true at all. diagnosticians and pharmacists have basically already been replaced by AIs. surgeons are about half way there

that's beside the point. Pharmacy is actually a growth employment industry, in part for exactly the reason i just stated.

it's not about the work behind the scenes, it's about the ignorant patient's perspective and illusions

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Medical error is the #3 cause of death in the United States.

I believe it.

Esteem in the quality and competency of healthcare is way overrated by the US public. I vaguely recall an international study published a year or two ago that found that overall healthcare quality in the US compares poorly to other first-world western nations. 12 nations were studied and the US ranked 11th. Only Canada was worse.

But that's all still beside the point.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 8, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

That dude in the green is actually doing the surgery though, so it isn't really an AI issue.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd much rather have my doctor run poo poo through Watson because it can actually juggle the mountains of medical data necessary to not get tunnel vision from your trained speciality

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

AI BUNDY is ONLINE

Toadvine posted:

EH, NO DAVE

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Can't we just cut out the middle men and get our brains transplanted into robot bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Germstore posted:

That dude in the green is actually doing the surgery though, so it isn't really an AI issue.

its quickly becoming one, especially for routine procedures. Like the OPs truckdriver example soon enough surgeons will be filling an advisory role, delineating where to cut, where to suture, where to sponge, while the robot actually does the deed

• Locked thread