Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So I found and bought a 1987 Toyota Supra with no real mechanical experience other than oil changes, roadside tire changes and things of that nature. I know what I am doing, but I really don't know what I am doing.

It is also my first standard car so I imagine I am going to burn through this clutch pretty quick. I drove it around for a bit today and I'm okay once I get going, but I'm pretty lovely at starting and hills are terrifying.

So problem number 1 arises, the car was safety'd and I know the guy who did it and he wouldn't screw me, but the speedometer wasn't working at all. Didn't move at all. Someone should have noticed this right away during the safety but the mechanic was saying his younger employees kept trying to play with it and stuff and when i picked it up the battery was dead cause they left some poo poo on. So I don't think the cable is broken but I'm not really sure what else the problem would be?

I'm trying to fix most of this stuff on my own but something major like that, should I just take it back or could it just be a small fix?
The mechanic also said I will have to do some fiddling with the oil lines going into the turbo or something like that.

Also any and all input is appreciated. This thread is mainly to self-contain all my stupid questions. I don't really have any real goals other than maintaining it and maybe try and boost it's base horsepower over a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't see how somebody who put hellabroke and shocker stickers in the engine bay could ever neglect a car like this.

I think you're gonna learn a whole bunch with this car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Powershift posted:

I think you're gonna learn a whole bunch with this car.

Quoted for truth.

Thankfully you've come to the right place!

What's your worry with the battery, exactly? As long as it charged up again there shouldn't be an issue.

Your turbo oil feed line is what the mechanic was referencing. It's probably leaky.

Beautiful car, by the way.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Adiabatic posted:

Quoted for truth.

Thankfully you've come to the right place!

What's your worry with the battery, exactly? As long as it charged up again there shouldn't be an issue.

Just someone leaving the radio on I think, its got an aftermarket and it looks like it stays on if you dont turn it off manually. The main thing is getting the speedometer working again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wow. A bad person did bad things to that poor car. But at least it's got a spray painted timing belt cover and a TRD oil filter cap to go with the silicon hoses everywhere.

How are the head gaskets?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Wow. A bad person did bad things to that poor car. But at least it's got a spray painted timing belt cover and a TRD oil filter cap to go with the silicon hoses everywhere.

How are the head gaskets?

I think he had some work done on the cylinder heads after a failure and had it replaced with a fiber gasket I think he said? Said there wasn't an issue but swears he could still smell burning coolant. I'm not sure what it would smell like if it was.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Did the previous owner mention a non-working speedometer? because a non-working speedometer means a non-working odometer. Having to turn the radio off manually means they wired what should run off an acc feed into something that's always live, and even when "shut off" could be a power drain. If the battery does keep going dead you can use a multimeter across the fuses, if they did wire it in through one.

Speedo cables are usually pretty simple, it's mechanical, but diagnosis sometimes involves pulling the dash apart. The easy obvious place to start would be to climb under and see if it's sitting against the exhaust somewhere. check for any breaks in the cable, see if it's been pulled out of the firewall.

You should get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Celica-1979-1992-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1563920433 and it will have guides for troubleshooting most things on that specific car.

I'm seeing onterrible plates on there, so i can only imagine you're going to learn to hate local auto part stores and love rockauto. bookmark this http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1987,supra,3.0l+l6+turbocharged,1278468 parts will likely be far far cheaper. it's worth checking local stores, but it's good to go in with knowledge of what it should be worth.

Burning coolant would smell somewhat sweet. It's quite noticable if it is.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Powershift posted:

Did the previous owner mention a non-working speedometer? because a non-working speedometer means a non-working odometer. Having to turn the radio off manually means they wired what should run off an acc feed into something that's always live, and even when "shut off" could be a power drain. If the battery does keep going dead you can use a multimeter across the fuses, if they did wire it in through one.

Speedo cables are usually pretty simple, it's mechanical, but diagnosis sometimes involves pulling the dash apart. The easy obvious place to start would be to climb under and see if it's sitting against the exhaust somewhere. check for any breaks in the cable, see if it's been pulled out of the firewall.

You should get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Celica-1979-1992-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1563920433 and it will have guides for troubleshooting most things on that specific car.

I'm seeing onterrible plates on there, so i can only imagine you're going to learn to hate local auto part stores and love rockauto. bookmark this http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1987,supra,3.0l+l6+turbocharged,1278468 parts will likely be far far cheaper. it's worth checking local stores, but it's good to go in with knowledge of what it should be worth.

It was just safety'd and that's something that would be done. The mechanic never mentioned anything so I don't know if something came loose or what it could be. If it was just safety'd and that went by them, should I tell the mechanic? I know the guy so he isn't trying to screw me.

Also this, and some other parts were given with the car:

I gotta get up early and I'm pretty busy during the week, but I'll try and see if I can diagnose it better tomorrow.

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 9, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's possible they just didn't drive the car enough to notice the non-functional speedometer. I know during inspections here, they don't get it above parking lot speeds, and they only get it going that fast to slam on the brakes and make sure they work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You don't wear plaid pants do you?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

You don't wear plaid pants do you?

Plaid pajamas, I think you mean.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

First up welcome to the club of stupid Japanese sports cars from the 80s.

Second up register here, it's a UK based site but there's a whole fuckton of guides on how to do poo poo on these cars and the guys there know their poo poo; http://www.mk3supra.org/

Third up, being over US/Canada way you have access to a lot more parts than I do here in the UK so if it needs anything it's not really much of an issue outside of $$$

*edit: grey interior? Mine's blue and I adore it.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 9, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I once owned an 87 supra (mine was turbo) that had 4 different sized tires and a mountain of problems. I paid $1000 CAD. I wish you luck.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't get a cable replaced by a mechanic ever, unless he only charges you for the part. Anyway, decent chance someone pulled the speedo cable when they realized they were going to sell it X months ago, there's been a lot of that on kijiji recently. Also gonna bet the radio is wired in directly off the + battery post and run without an inline fuse, possibly snaking under the door to get past the firewall.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

The guy who sold it to me gave me 3 sets of silicon hoses and ceramic pads and brembo rotors so I doubt that. I'll check it some more when I get home (if I'm not home super late)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

its got an aftermarket and it looks like it stays on if you dont turn it off manually.

FYI, that means it was installed incorrectly. Just for something else to add to your list.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Motronic posted:

FYI, that means it was installed incorrectly by a complete butcher with KFC drumsticks for fingers. Just for something else to add to your list.

Yeah, prepare for alllll kinds of fun little electrical landmines.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I feel like this is the AI equivalent to watching one of those livestreams where a guy swears at his computer after repeatedly dying over and over and over in some hellish Japanese game.

Makes me so much happier with my own Toyota money black hole.

Where's the popcorn?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah pretty much. Waiting for the inevitable pics of PO fuckery.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mine didn't have a glovebox either. Also it was leaking PS fluid so I solved these problems by putting PS fluid where the glovebox should go.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 9, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is hellabroke why it wasn't hellamaintained?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Oof. That looks like it's going to be a basket case Supra. I had a 92 for almost a decade and it was actually really easy to work on, but mine had around 100k miles so poo poo wasn't breaking left and right. Godspeed, goon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Rules. Now ditch all the bright dog dick hose and spraybombed engine bay plastics.
Be nice to the cam sensor, they're not cheap.

I've owned 3 of these cars. they're fun when you catch up on all the maintenance and sort the suspension. (TEMS rules when it works)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I got home like an hour and half before I had to go to bed to get up for work for the next day so I didn't get to check much. The fuse for the gauges looked fine, but I dropped it in kicker panel (also what a pain in the rear end to get to when you're not tiny).

When I was going to bed and dreaming of driving my car, I remembered the previous owner had a "sleepy eyes" mod on the lights and maybe the mechanic removed it and that broke it? They're on the same circuit right? I'll investigate more after work, shouldn't be too late today

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good luck man. These are the best looking Supras, imo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I figured out the speedometer problem, the interior speedometer cable broke and it looks to be a cheap buy to replace. This is easily doable in my garage right? Like I don't need to lift the car do I?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It probably depends on the car. On my Miata I had to put the car up on ramps to reach the back of the speedometer cable, and then dismantle part of the interior to reach the speedometer head at the back of the dashboard.

You can use this to diagnose, but I would replace all three pieces. It's just not worth it to do the same job over and over considering how old/marginal the remaining parts are.

quote:

Diagnosis
Which of the three pieces to replace?

Test long cable.
Disconnect long speedometer cable from short cable (see proc. below). Attach a drill to long cable. Select the reverse direction on the drill. Spin drill slowly. If speedometer does not move or if it bounces at constant drill speeds, replace long cable.

Test short cable
Remove short cable (see proc. below). Spin the center and verify that the other end spins. If it does not, replace short cable.

Test solid pipe
Remove solid pipe (see proc. below). Spin the center and verify that the other end spins. If it does not, replace solid pipe.

Guide: http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=29

It sounds like you will in fact have to lift the car.

Usually when a speedometer cable is broken it makes horrible noises for awhile, then starts freaking out, and only after an extremely long period of time it breaks. I hate to say it but your car.. may have not been maintained well. :ohdear:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Well the mechanic told me it was working when they did a test drive, but it wasn't functioning at all when I picked it up. No bouncing or anything, just nothing. The car was maintained as in no rust, but I think the previous owner wasn't very smart and had some stupid ideas with what to do with the car.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The bummer part is that most cars in California will stay rust free with zero effort as long as you don't leave the area much, so you can't really correlate rust levels with good maintenance :(

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Ya this is southern Ontario though, full of rain, snow, salt, and pot holes!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Have you removed the trunk plastics and had a dig round the rear arches yet just in case? Take the plastic vent bits off inside the door jam and look inside with a torch to get a bit of a look. Best way is in through the trunk though...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Nice Toyota :D. PM me an email address if you need access to a (good) online parts finder.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Nice Toyota :D. PM me an email address if you need access to a (good) online parts finder.

You mean this one?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1987,supra,3.0l+l6+turbocharged,1278468

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have a rebuilt transmission out of one of these, waiting (so far 4 years) to go into my '88 Pickup.

What this means is if you ever find out you need a bellhousing, I'm in Owen Sound.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 17, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

No kidding, the cable that broke is only $10 there! I bought 3 cause the shipping was more than the part. The site buddy was talking about helped me get a part number on the other speedometer cable that I couldnt find on rockauto (but I think that one is fine) which will help a lot when more obscure things start to fail.

Probably won't be able to drive the Supra until next week, waiting on the part then spending Victoria day weekend in NYC, and I'm the lucky one to drive!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd forgotten about that site and then I went looking for Supra parts to see if I could nab a few things and found it again. Such an amazing site. Pity it's mostly US based but it's good to know that there's still stuff out there as UK based sites have dried up a good while ago.

Hope you get this bad boy on the road soon and on your travels if you find out how to get to the two bolts in the wings that hold sides of the nose cone on then please let me know...!!

*edit: they're in the arches! Bumper removal required to make poo poo easy. I need it off to refit my badge properly.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 17, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

88h88 posted:

I'd forgotten about that site and then I went looking for Supra parts to see if I could nab a few things and found it again. Such an amazing site. Pity it's mostly US based but it's good to know that there's still stuff out there as UK based sites have dried up a good while ago.

Hope you get this bad boy on the road soon and on your travels if you find out how to get to the two bolts in the wings that hold sides of the nose cone on then please let me know...!!

*edit: they're in the arches! Bumper removal required to make poo poo easy. I need it off to refit my badge properly.

I've driven it around a bit, but the speedometer wasn't working and it's my first standard car so I didn't go far or super fast. Hauled rear end twice on some country roads and fell in love with the turbo sound. Never driven forced induction, just V8s.

Had the roof off too, man its a sharp looking car still.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You have a Supra and you ask what is next? It will decimate everything if you put 15 grand in it and if needed over night parts from Japan. You need to get racing again so you can make some money at Race Wars.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

theres also this site http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/ for basically finding ANY toyota part number. Really handy when you have to go to the dealership and you can just give them that rather than have the tech hunt for the part number via interpretive dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

So a bit of a problem, I got my speedo cable and it was just like the old one except for a female thread on the one end (I'll take pictures when I get home, I'm at work right now) and the guy says he needs that to connect it to the transmission. My dad decided to throw the old one out without asking if I needed it or anything, so I can't take the old one off.

It's the short 14" cable, not the long one.

How do I get or even find this specific small cap?

• Locked thread