Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It's time to learn about Nauru!

Nauru is an island nation. It's in the Pacific Ocean. It is 8.1 square miles. That means it's the third smallest country in the world!

10,000 people live in Nauru. The capital is called Yaren.

The President of Nauru is Baron Waqa. He's not a Baron, that's just his name.

The European who found Nauru was John Feam.

After Europeans found Nauru they put a Phosphate mine there.

Nauru became a country in 1968.

Nauru has parliament with 19 people in it. They meet at this place.

Hooray for Nauru!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immaculate_kasia
May 9, 2016

by Shine
oil massages from asian concubine womyn (if u r over 5'3 u do not fit in get out)

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Thanks for ruining a promising thread dare/k8/markov bot.

immaculate_kasia
May 9, 2016

by Shine

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Thanks for ruining a promising thread dare/k8/markov bot.

anytime :-]

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Do a lot of comas happen in Nauru?

immaculate_kasia
May 9, 2016

by Shine

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do a lot of comas happen in Nauru?

have one on the house chump u r french canadian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuru_(massage)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Of course goons know how to avail themselves of prostitutes in different languages.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
True story; I lived in Nauru for over a year. What a poo poo-hole.

One of highest rates of obesity, no economy, 90+% unemployment, huge domestic violence and alcohol problem, high rate of diabetes, literally has no export except phosphate which is almost all depleted, and imports 90+% of products. Coral is all dead from mining, and it has one main road that is just a circle around the island. It's just a country Australia can dump it's asylum seekers (to deter asylum seekers coming by boat because the conditions on island are worse than in a war zone.) It's also a tax haven but even that is going because they're so bad at it.

When I was there a 7 year old girl was eaten alive by dogs on the beach. There are roaming packs of wild dogs everywhere, and they're super aggressive.

AMA

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lascivious Sloth posted:

One of highest rates of obesity, no economy, 90+% unemployment, huge domestic violence and alcohol problem, high rate of diabetes, literally has no export except phosphate which is almost all depleted, and imports 90+% of products. Coral is all dead from mining, and it has one main road that is just a circle around the island. It's just a country Australia can dump it's asylum seekers (to deter asylum seekers coming by boat because the conditions on island are worse than in a war zone.) It's also a tax haven but even that is going because they're so bad at it.

When I was there a 7 year old girl was eaten alive by dogs on the beach. There are roaming packs of wild dogs everywhere, and they're super aggressive.

AMA

Why were you there?
Why don't they shoot the packs of dogs?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Waqa Waqa Waqa

like an islander fozzie bear

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

How was the surf?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Lascivious Sloth posted:

AMA

counterpoint: the president is dgsw's av

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SneakyFrog posted:

Waqa Waqa Waqa

like an islander fozzie bear

You told the joke i was going to say before i had the chance. You jerk!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You told the joke i was going to say before i had the chance. You jerk!

i will share it with you butt/taint and groin faced person :sissies:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the country is so poor, why are they all so fat they make America look like Ethiopia?

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
loving lol

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I've always had an interest/obsession with small islands, but often its with very cold ones instead of warm ones.

Here is Edinburgh of the Southern Seas:

This is a town of 250 people. The next inhabited place is 1200 miles away, the island of Saint Helena, and its not exactly a busy place either, with only 4200 people.

There is no air flights to the island, and its pretty much cut off from the world.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SneakyFrog posted:

i will share it with you butt/taint and groin faced person :sissies:

No :nsamad:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

glowing-fish posted:

I've always had an interest/obsession with small islands, but often its with very cold ones instead of warm ones.

This is a town of 250 people. The next inhabited place is 1200 miles away, the island of Saint Helena, and its not exactly a busy place either, with only 4200 people.

There is no air flights to the island, and its pretty much cut off from the world.

I was still trying to understand Baron Waqa and here you go changing the island.. jeez.

the king of this island better have a bitchin name like Lance Fightmaster or something.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

SneakyFrog posted:

I was still trying to understand Baron Waqa and here you go changing the island.. jeez.

the king of this island better have a bitchin name like Lance Fightmaster or something.

The thing about islands is there is a lot of them, and they are often forgotten about by the rest of the world, and they often have peculiar customs and history.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

glowing-fish posted:

The thing about islands is there is a lot of them, and they are often forgotten about by the rest of the world, and they often have peculiar customs and history.

:catbert:

I was asking about your island jeez.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
How easy would it be to overthrow this nation and, say, install a dictatorship of gay as hell robot dragons? Asking for a friend.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Once the Naaru's phosphorous mines are depleted I hope they will be left alone. Just like Jake Sully wanted it.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

glowing-fish posted:

Same bro!

The weird thing about Tristan da Cunha (that's the island), is that the inbreeding is so high that: "There are instances of health problems attributed to endogamy, including glaucoma. In addition, there is a very high incidence of asthma among the population and research by Dr. Noe Zamel of the University of Toronto has led to discoveries about the genetic nature of the disease.[45] Three of the original settlers of the island were asthma sufferers.[46]"

I think there are only 9 surnames on the island Collins, Glass, Green, Hagan, Lavarello, Repetto, Rogers, Squibb and Swain.

You would think this would make them want immigration to reduce the incidence of this, but nope, new settlers are forbidden. It's also a British overseas territory.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I hope they declare war against that island nation off the coast of Maine

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Bundle of Keys posted:

Once the Naaru's phosphorous mines are depleted I hope they will be left alone. Just like Jake Sully wanted it.
the island will be gone in 10 or 15 years, so it doesn't matter

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

drat, Jerry. Now I can't unsee it

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

AMA

Does Nauru love meth just as much as any other pacific island?
Does Baron Waku sit on a big gungan throne?
Do these people just shovel spam into their mouth holes straight from the spam can, man?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
How can the island function at all with 90% unemployment?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Windows 98 posted:

How can the island function at all with 90% unemployment?

I imagine everyone lounges on the beach drinking pina colladas out of coconuts

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's time to learn about Nauru!

Nauru is an island nation. It's in the Pacific Ocean. It is 8.1 square miles. That means it's the third smallest country in the world!

that picture is misleading, it doesn't show off the blasted hellscape that is the center of the island

Notice that there's no loving trees in the middle. The destroyed the island to mine all the phosphate, and now there's not even any loving phosphate left. so the middle of the island is just a barren wasteland of windblown garbage and feral dogs.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Here is Navassa Island:

Which is claimed by both the United States and Haiti. It was occupied in the 1800s for phosphate (guano) mining, and you can see a building in the foreground. Its about two miles long and one mile wide, and its population consists of Haitian fisherman and US biologists. Its theoretically habitable, if you have a water system system, but there is no source of fresh water.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can we blow up nukes on these islands?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Darth123123 posted:

Can we blow up nukes on these islands?

American can do anything it wants

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Baron Waqa demands that you fax him deets.

sweet sweet deets.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Isn't Nauru on the verge of disappearing back under the waves anyway?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

spud posted:

Same bro!

The weird thing about Tristan da Cunha (that's the island), is that the inbreeding is so high that: "There are instances of health problems attributed to endogamy, including glaucoma. In addition, there is a very high incidence of asthma among the population and research by Dr. Noe Zamel of the University of Toronto has led to discoveries about the genetic nature of the disease.[45] Three of the original settlers of the island were asthma sufferers.[46]"

I think there are only 9 surnames on the island Collins, Glass, Green, Hagan, Lavarello, Repetto, Rogers, Squibb and Swain.

You would think this would make them want immigration to reduce the incidence of this, but nope, new settlers are forbidden. It's also a British overseas territory.

It's also apparently completely inhabited by Space Marines, given their motto is, "Our faith is our strength."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Nauruan economy was based on bird poo poo and now that all the phosphates are gone the economy is Totally hosed.

quote:

The Nauruan economy peaked in the early 1980s, as it was dependent almost entirely on the phosphate deposits that originate from the droppings of sea birds. There are few other resources, and most necessities are imported. Small-scale mining is still conducted by RONPhos, formerly known as the Nauru Phosphate Corporation. The government places a percentage of RONPhos's earnings into the Nauru Phosphate Royalties Trust. The Trust manages long-term investments, which were intended to support the citizens once the phosphate reserves were exhausted.

Because of mismanagement the Trust's fixed and current assets were reduced considerably and may never fully recover. The failed investments included financing Leonardo the Musical in 1993. The Mercure Hotel in Sydney] and Nauru House in Melbourne were sold in 2004 to finance debts and Air Nauru's only Boeing 737 was repossessed in December 2005. Normal air service resumed after the aircraft was replaced with a Boeing 737–300 airliner in June 2006. In 2005, the corporation sold its property asset in Melbourne, the vacant Savoy Tavern site, for $7.5 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Nice country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCfF0Qw_J9k

• Locked thread