Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

The outdated criminal code, which dated back to 1899, was based on old Queensland laws

Jesus. This explains everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Bundle of Keys posted:

Once the Naaru's phosphorous mines are depleted I hope they will be left alone. Just like Jake Sully wanted it.

This is the second time today i have heard a jake sully reference. Wtf? Is there some kind of collective unconscious phenomenon ?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

canyoneer posted:

I'm sort of surprised to learn that it's difficult to immigrate to Australia.
It's the destination of choice for my white South African cousins because it's way easier than getting into the US.
I'm guessing the"white" part is the important bit.

Well it certainly helps, but really Australian migration is run on a "points" system, basically they're more lenient depending on how well the countries doing and what they actually need. My relatives who emigrated there did it easily because trained nurses and technicians were in high demand at the time they applied. If your job skills aren't in demand you'll have to jump through more hoops, like do have a job offer, what's your savings, where exactly are you planning on living etc.

Anything can be used as grounds for rejection though. Another relative was denied entry because of a family history of mental problems, even though that was the family of her husband who had died. And I remember one story of a bloke who got rejected because he was a bank manager.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wayne curr posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3596047/Australian-minister-warns-against-illiterate-innumerate-refugees.html

They gonna' take all our jobs!
And at the same time, they'll refuse to look for jobs and take all our dole money!
:downs:

i like that australia is like what would happen if the south won the civil war

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

i like that australia is like what would happen if the south won the civil war

Now hang on a second, we're so racist we deported our slaves. Can the South say the same thing? :smug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baka-nin posted:

This, answers my question perfectly, thank you.

Oh and hey guys let's not be too hard on the good Baron, he's not lazy, he was just playing a long game and has finally brought in a series of reforms that will bring Nauru into the 20th century!

All hail the breaker of chains! and the father of... wild dogs.

What's the pedo fine now?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

canyoneer posted:

I'm sort of surprised to learn that it's difficult to immigrate to Australia.
It's the destination of choice for my white South African cousins because it's way easier than getting into the US.
I'm guessing the"white" part is the important bit.

Honestly the most amazing thing about white South Africans who move to Australia is that most of them manage to be so racist that they creep out the average suburban Australian hick. I used to work with this one guy who was laughing about the fact that back in South Africa he trained his dog to attack black people and got really mad when people told him that was hosed up

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.tristandc.com/newsfamily2012.php

An instructive link on the dangers of isolation and inbreeding.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
why not discover why Tristan da Cunha IS Love Island,
by reading on below ....

To begin at the top.... Tristan da Cunha's 2062m high Queen Mary's Peak is a mecca for lovers as it offers this stunning view of its heart-shaped crater lake, photographed by Captain Peter Holloway of London Offshore Consultants who is supervising the oil rig salvage operations on behalf of the Insurers.

http://www.tristandc.com/loveisland.php

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
USPol is a burning tire fire. AusPol is that ever burning pit of natural gas in Russia or that town on top of a still burning coal mine in the US

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Now hang on a second, we're so racist we deported our slaves. Can the South say the same thing? :smug:

Kind of

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Xelkelvos posted:

USPol is a burning tire fire. AusPol is that ever burning pit of natural gas in Russia or that town on top of a still burning coal mine in the US

The This American Life ep described Nauru as similar to an Appelachian town that strip-mined its way to poverty, and it don't sound too far off from Valkenvania.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What a fascinating thread! I have submitted a rating of five with no regrets!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Honestly the most amazing thing about white South Africans who move to Australia is that most of them manage to be so racist that they creep out the average suburban Australian hick. I used to work with this one guy who was laughing about the fact that back in South Africa he trained his dog to attack black people and got really mad when people told him that was hosed up

https://twitter.com/UPFOfficial/status/736460276523016192

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

:catstare:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The Seventh Day Adventists in Tonga are pretty funny because they consider the international date line to be in a different place. They're one of the only denominations who have church on Saturdays and they couldn't convince Tongans to go then instead of Sundays because church on Sundays was pretty ingrained in Tonga by the point they showed up. So they just redrew their world maps so that the international date line was on the other side of Tonga, thus making Sunday Saturday.

Interesting thread. When I was growing up in the SDA church there was a special interest in Pitcairn Island as most (all?) of the inhabitants were SDAs. There were several ham radio operators in my church who made a point of regularly working the Pitcairn station.

Hilarious and sad that a bunch of them turned out to be kiddie diddlers. My mother left me several books on Pitcairn that I need to read sometime, but I suspect they won't mention this aspect of island life.

Praise Jesus and save me a 10 year old!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

I'm gonna say what we're all thinking. Pick is sensitive about this subject because she regularly eats human meat.

Pick is an active cannibal.

I uh dont think you're wrong actually. This was from March

Pick posted:

Whoops, it's actually illegal to eat your own flesh?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/20/the-worst-ive-seen-trauma-expert-lifts-lid-on-atrocity-of-australias-detention-regime

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jesus Christ.
I think I liked this thread better when we were just making guano and fat jokes.
No wait I know I liked it better when we were all making guano and fat jokes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Tomorrow Australia decides if we continue the torture of refugees in concentration camps closed off to the media, or if we continue the torture of refugees in concentration camps closed off open to the media.

Possible progress!

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE
So Amnesty International, having been denied access to Nauru on multiple occasions by Australian/Nauruan Gov'ts, snuck in and reported on it anyway and surprise it's still a lovely hell on earth

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/08/australia-abuse-neglect-of-refugees-on-nauru/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Serak posted:

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Woah, I forgot the interesting obscure islands and horrific human rights abuses thread existed

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Nauru files: 2,000 leaked reports reveal scale of abuse of children in Australian offshore detention

More than 2,000 leaked incident reports from Australia’s detention camp for asylum seekers on the remote Pacific island of Nauru – totalling more than 8,000 pages – are published by the Guardian today. The Nauru files set out as never before the assaults, sexual abuse, self-harm attempts, child abuse and living conditions endured by asylum seekers held by the Australian government, painting a picture of routine dysfunction and cruelty.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...shore-detention

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN10S0QL?il=0

No word about Nauru, but PNG site is to be closed (and none of the refugees are to be allowed to immigrate to Australia).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

this loving guy

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

please don't wish ill on nauru's concentration camp, it makes up about 95% of the country's gdp.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Everyone see the Kiribati weightlifter dance? Why couldn't Nauru be cool like other Pacific Island micronations facing imminent societal collapse?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Spurdo IRL this guy is great

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

But he just said "WOOOOOOO"?!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how is nauru doing at the olympics

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

leader gay so what

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Every time i see this I think of a wet fart.
http://soundbible.com/690-Bronx-Cheer.html

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

i think of wise shitashi

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Nauru that's what i call music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

All hail the breaker of chains! and the father of... wild dogs.

Tbf, marital rape wasn't a crime in England until 1991

• Locked thread