Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Sully still best character

Nadine is in the running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

As someone who has played them all on hard, does this spike the difficulty much? Is it better to do a moderate run first?

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
So this game certainly has the best graphics ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They really did an amazing job of hiding some of the Treasures this time, I missed apparently five of them in the tiny early chapters alone. What the hell.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Stormgale posted:

As someone who has played them all on hard, does this spike the difficulty much? Is it better to do a moderate run first?

I don't think so, the difficulty doesn't seem too bad. The combat is the most polished of any of the games, that's for sure. There's a larger emphasis on stealth than in previous games though so I'm not sure how difficult the game would be in all-out firefights.

And yeah the graphics in this game are insane.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

They really did an amazing job of hiding some of the Treasures this time, I missed apparently five of them in the tiny early chapters alone. What the hell.

I missed like 5 out of 9(???) in chapter 6, I thought I was doing well until then.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Boy this game is pretty. And those faces.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Is the gameplay much different in this than the previous ones? I think I got about 80% of the way through 2 before becoming bored with all the "move from handhold to handhold across this wa-- WHOOPS ONE BROKE time for QTE" sections. I got 3 for free from PS+ and the game started off with a awesome looking bar fight that would have been tons of fun to play, but instead it was another QTE cut-scene and I lost interest in watching the game play itself.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

FallenGod posted:

Is the gameplay much different in this than the previous ones? I think I got about 80% of the way through 2 before becoming bored with all the "move from handhold to handhold across this wa-- WHOOPS ONE BROKE time for QTE" sections. I got 3 for free from PS+ and the game started off with a awesome looking bar fight that would have been tons of fun to play, but instead it was another QTE cut-scene and I lost interest in watching the game play itself.

It's still an Uncharted game through and through. You'll be doing plenty of climbing and swinging and the like. I will say, though, that it seems to be broken up by more unique sections that shake things up. To use your example, that bar fight in 3? If it had been in 4 you would have been doing the fighting yourself. They don't take control away very often.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FallenGod posted:

Nice meltdown

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Thanks, if it's still the same core game I guess I'll hold off.

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FallenGod posted:

Thanks, if it's still the same core game I guess I'll hold off.

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

Okay, if we're going to have constant meltdowns here, move the thread to E/N

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

It's still an Uncharted game through and through. You'll be doing plenty of climbing and swinging and the like. I will say, though, that it seems to be broken up by more unique sections that shake things up. To use your example, that bar fight in 3? If it had been in 4 you would have been doing the fighting yourself. They don't take control away very often.

Even the one in three isn't really a qte. It's more like a batman combat section than anything.

4 definitely has way better combat though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What I really hated about Last of Us was all the stealth and the QTE's when you got in trouble. Hopefully there isn't TOO much stealth in this because I'd much rather just fight. I don't know why I made plans to hang out with a friend tonight. We're both sitting at work with our Uncharted 4 copies already delivered to our respective houses. We'll hang out, watch some netflix and play non-Uncharted games, then go our separate ways and stay up late playing the beginning of the game.

Edit: I saw that digital foundry called it the best looking console game ever.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Easter Egg tip for Chapter 11: Check out the long lines at the customs desk when you're in town. Nate and Sully reminisce.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PantsBandit posted:

The fight in 3 is very much an extension of Naughty Dog's attempts to add more cinematic flare to basic actions in their games, and it sounds like they did a better job of it in 4.

It's far from perfect, mostly because all of the neat animations they put into the fight don't seem to blend very well, on top of certain interactions with the environment feeling inconsistent. It probably is one of the worst moments of UC3 as a whole, but I'm going through the games again to get myself properly set up to play 4 and I can safely say the fight hardly "plays itself." You can definitely end that fight with the bar considerably less thrashed if you play it with the intent to do so, and the dialogue does seem to change somewhat depending on how well you perform during the brawl itself.

I don't quite remember anything like the barfight happening anywhere else in 3, but I'm still playing through it again so it may crop up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I like that Rafe's eyes are always glazed over and unfocused. He also never has his eyelids fully opened. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in a game before!

e: Also hot drat, the encounter at the end of chapter 9 was really cool!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 10, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is the coop multiplayer in at launch? I remember it being so good in 2/3.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

DeathSandwich posted:

So is the coop multiplayer in at launch? I remember it being so good in 2/3.

Nope. There aren't any co-op story missions like the ones in the last two games and there's no co-op arena modes either. The multiplayer component of the game is really barebones this time round which is weird considering how much this game was delayed. Apparently they're adding some form of co-op for free later in the year however, but we have no idea if it will be co-op missions or just the arena mode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is the pirate nobody can remember the name of Guybrush Threepwood?! :eyepop:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I love the Uncharted games. I'm only about an hour in and I'm already absorbed by it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Leave it to me to already have Doom 4 preorders and good to go at the end of the week with a new Uncharted game out as well. I'm so going to play the gently caress out of it once I slay me some hell-demons.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

CJacobs posted:

Is the pirate nobody can remember the name of Guybrush Threepwood?! :eyepop:

I thought the exact same thing. The "that's the second largest cistern I've ever seen" line also got a big laugh.

Finished the story last night, and it's pretty goddamn great. The acting and writing feel completely natural. Nate and Sam actually sound like brothers, and the way both guys get the giggles after every calamity is really endearing.

I want to say the combat is a touch too hard? Lotta guys with helmets and the enemy camouflage actually works. I couldn't hit a target for poo poo. The way your just constantly flanked makes for some deaths that feel pretty unfair.

Tremendous game, and a perfect end to the series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GlenMR posted:

Finished the story last night, and it's pretty goddamn great. The acting and writing feel completely natural. Nate and Sam actually sound like brothers, and the way both guys get the giggles after every calamity is really endearing.

It helps that Nolan North and Troy Baker have an intense bromance in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Wu6ggWj-M

Any panel with both of them on it is gold.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 11, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

God drat this game is pretty as gently caress.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

God drat this game is pretty as gently caress.

It really is gorgeous the people at Naughty Dog are unbelievable

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The game does indeed look amazing but I seems I have have encountered the mother of all graphical glitches:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nathan Jolson

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Renting this from redbox but I'm wondering why they went back to Gears of War style sticky cover when Last of Us had the push up against a wall cover which was great

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lakbay posted:

Renting this from redbox but I'm wondering why they went back to Gears of War style sticky cover when Last of Us had the push up against a wall cover which was great

i think they want you to be more mobile vaulting poo poo and moving fast so having you decide to hunker down is made a more definite choice for the player

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Give a raise to whoever suggested the option to hold down buttons instead of mashing. And then promote them to the highest position for the snap-to easy aiming. I'm not playing my first game with it but it'll make crushing bearable.

fivegears4reverse posted:

The fight in 3 is very much an extension of Naughty Dog's attempts to add more cinematic flare to basic actions in their games, and it sounds like they did a better job of it in 4.

It's far from perfect, mostly because all of the neat animations they put into the fight don't seem to blend very well, on top of certain interactions with the environment feeling inconsistent. It probably is one of the worst moments of UC3 as a whole, but I'm going through the games again to get myself properly set up to play 4 and I can safely say the fight hardly "plays itself." You can definitely end that fight with the bar considerably less thrashed if you play it with the intent to do so, and the dialogue does seem to change somewhat depending on how well you perform during the brawl itself.

I don't quite remember anything like the barfight happening anywhere else in 3, but I'm still playing through it again so it may crop up.

I'll tell you this, they perfected whatever animation magic they have going on in the background. Other characters will seamlessly interact with Nate whether it's tackling an enemy into the ground or kicking a dude who has you in a full nelson. In one segment I ran up to a guy, clotheslined him, then as I was turning around to face a guy behind me who was half obscured by a railing I leap over the thing with one hand to flying kick him away. That wasn't a canned animation, they have some kind of animation engine like Euphoria running this thing.

lelandjs posted:

The game does indeed look amazing but I seems I have have encountered the mother of all graphical glitches:

C'mon Sully, I know you've got jungle fever but blackface was never funny.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

al-azad posted:

I'll tell you this, they perfected whatever animation magic they have going on in the background. Other characters will seamlessly interact with Nate whether it's tackling an enemy into the ground or kicking a dude who has you in a full nelson.

There was a moment where I was just running around with Sam and I turned into him by accident and he and Drake did that "oop which way you goin oh I'll go this way you go that way" split second thing without taking control from me and I fuckin lost my mind

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Every now and then the camera will focus on Sam and I swear to god it looks like a photo of James Van der Beek wit a receding hair line. Who was Alan Tudyk going to play before quitting, anyway?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally dipped into multiplayer today.

Good Lord, it's awesome. I'd say it's quite a distinct improvement over 2 and 3 in every way.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Every now and then the camera will focus on Sam and I swear to god it looks like a photo of James Van der Beek wit a receding hair line. Who was Alan Tudyk going to play before quitting, anyway?

I keep seeing John Cusack but according to my wife I'm a bit face blind so

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: Nathan's half of the closet.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Man, no Arena mode? I love Arena mode. :(

Did they include any classic maps from 2/3? I loved the one that was the tops of two skyscrapers.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Luke Perry from Beverly Hills 90210. You won't be able to unsee it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The level design in this game is off the charts, a platforming wet-dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The level design in this game is off the charts, a platforming wet-dream.

You might almost say it is

uncharted levels of quality

• Locked thread