Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Curvature of Earth posted:

I still think "consumers don't like poo poo on their face" is a barrier that needs an overwhelmingly good product to overcome. And we're not there yet; again, this is VR's PalmPilot moment, not it's iPhone moment.

I also heard that line.

I largely agree. I have the Vive and I would probably buy it again, but it has been hands down the most trying and unstable technology purchase I have ever made. It is 100% not good enough for normal people. I mean gently caress the camera doesn't even work with a bunch of USB chipsets and most of the fans are just accepting of all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SwissCM posted:

It's less that the camera doesn't work with the chipsets and more that the chipsets themselves aren't up to spec and are basically broken. Latency is the main problem, bandwidth a close second and tolerances are super tight with VR, those chipsets simply can't cope with the load.

Right but if a tentpole feature on your product doesn't work with a large percentage of systems, it's your problem.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Well as you said most of the fans are just accepting the problem so I guess it actually isn't.

I said most, but tbh I don't have any proof of that; it just seems like everyone on reddit lives to poo poo on the Rift and worship the Vive, and ignore all the latter's (not insubstantial) issues.

Also, it's definitely something I'll think about when the inevitable second edition comes about.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

This is actually a really good choice for a VR environment. IKEA's stores are designed to disorient you in a large, maze-like building, perceptually cut you off from the outside world, and overwhelm you with so much stuff. And the next thing you know you're walking out wondering how you spent $500 dollars on a desk, seriously, the base model is just $120 and that was such a good deal, how did that even happen? You swear your choice in accessories was reasonable!

Rather than attempt to design a "video game world" from scratch that immerses you in a separate environment, they picked something that already does that in real life. It's actually the ideal showcase how much more "complete" a VR experience can be versus a traditional video game.

Plus they already had the 3d models / environments, as they stopped using real photography in their catalogs a while ago.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lol my vive was torture to set up, it took hours and barely works.

My rift just came in and it's broken out of the box (was planning on keeping the best one)

gently caress vr

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

abigserve posted:

The next generation of consoles is going to have VR as the gimmick I reckon. And to be honest I'd pay 900 bucks for a console with VR attached, knowing that I never have to worry about software or obscure hardware issues.

Yeah PSVR is going to be huge imo. Nintendo will do whatever weird thing they end up doing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Once the technology is solid I'll be interested. Needs eye tracking and depth of focus.
I don't think the 4k resolution they are struggling for is worth the extra hardware cost IMO. I have an original beta Oculus Rift, it's bad, but the resolution is a small part of why it's bad.

I think the increased resolution is worth it; I still like my Vive but I'd probably use it occasionally as a monitor replacement / theater too at a higher res.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tbh I'm waiting for more untraditional poo poo. Like a murder mystery where guests are being offed and you're under limited time to figure out who it is. Maybe you find an old secret love letter in her collectibles box and realize that the person who sent it was at the dinner! poo poo like that. I mean some of these things could be done in regular games - and have been - but VR gives it the kind of emotive depth that really grabs you by the balls (not a pork joke).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Dammit, that was my idea.... And the scary part is that anyone might be it and you can get shanked any time. This all set on an old steam train....

Haha exactly. I do prefer games that are more mystery and less terrifying though because they make me pretty uncomfortable in VR.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ahaha that guy is a douche. He's floating around the correct answer in re: sickness, but it's not quite that. Either way, I've been getting sick from playing video games since like Wolfenstein goddamned 3D, and I haven't been on a murderous driving rampage in years. Also, I get waaaaay less sick in VR than in any normal 3D game.

Also: I drove to a friend's place out of town this weekend, and decided to bring the Vive since we'd be hanging out for a few days. There was a party on Saturday and people played the Vive for like 10 hours straight, then thanked me for bringing it because it was "incredible." An art teacher started crying after playing around in Tilt Brush.

I mean I know this sounds like a mega nerd post, and I guess it is, but you guys, this poo poo really is something special.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This all said I think VR has the potential to be another Wii.

flavor posted:

I'd actually say that VR in general can't be overhyped, but that we're all still waiting for that first product that makes it really affordable and great for >90% of all people.

Yeah, I agree with both of these. I'm really curious to see what Google's new product is going to be, and I want to see how well the PSVR does; those two will better inform me personally on how well be is doing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

Has Sony indicated if they're going to make the PSVR compatible with the PC at all or is it without question going to be PS4 exclusive?

Also, I know that HTC and Oculus are selling everything they can make so there is no need for a price drop, but has there been any indication of that might be? Or is the thought they'll take the other high-end electronics route and just keep the same price point (more or less) and just improve the features/specs as gens and time goes on?

I'd be stunned if the PSVR works with a PC without some hackers helping out.

As for Rift Vive stuff, my bet is that they'll follow the iPhone model, selling new at a similar price, older at a reduced price, with the total prices falling over time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lDDQD posted:

VR isn't anywhere near where it needs to be, in order to be an actual thriving industry. It very well could be at some point in the future, but it's not there now. Or it could prove to be a fad that ultimately goes nowhere again, like it did in the 90s. You never know with these things, really.

Partially, of course, you've got a chicken-and-egg problem: nobody wants to commit millions to making content for the platform, because the market is so tiny; and the market isn't growing because there's no content.

But there are serious technical problems to solve, too. The headsets are way too big, and too heavy. It gets sweaty inside them quickly, and just uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They need to become much lighter (minimally, to the point where the don't require a strap). Displays aren't performing quite as well as anyone would like, either. Both pixel density and latency need to improve. These are problems that can be solved quickly (~2 years or so). The cost also needs to come down. But that's an economics problem, more than anything else.

Much worse is the problem of motion sickness. This is a problem that modern technology can finally solve, but it's very much in an experimental, proof-of-concept state right now. I wouldn't expect it to be mature enough to be ready for mass production in a 2-year time frame. Maybe in 5 years, or so?

Motion sickness is about as solved as it's going to get for a long time if you've got good devs. I have truly awful motion sickness in traditional 3D titles - even super Mario world makes me want to hurl.

In most vr games, however, this problem just doesn't exist. I was really worried about it and it's been a complete non-issue. I get that one anecdote isn't very compelling but it was a big deal for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsten posted:

It depends upon what causes your motion sickness as to what will make you suffer. There are several kinds in addition to the "Ear Fluid and Eyes Don't Agree" version. On top of that, each condition is individualistic - the precise symptoms and extents depend on the person suffering moreso than the cause.

This is why its a hard problem to solve in any medium, not just VR. (Also, Super Mario World? The SNES title?)

No, I understand all that, but based on my and others' experiences I think vr overcomes or solves a lot more lotion sickness problems than it causes, barring terrible locomotive inputs for the game.

And I meant super Mario 64, sorry. I'm an idiot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

$60 is a great price for that, drat.

Speaking of Oculus, finally got the rift working after owning it since April. I've been playing the Vive since then and jeez, the Rift is a huge letdown for me. The headphones don't reach my ears (I have a big head, but c'mon) so I have to use my own. Which is fine, but having integrated headphones is so, so much nicer in terms of taking the headset on and off. The so-called 'God Rays' are way more noticeable too. That's all minor, though; the lack of tracked controllers makes everything feel less enticing than on the Vive.

Having said that, most of that should get fixed when Touch comes out, and the Rift is muuuuch more comfortable to wear. I suspect I'll appreciate it much more in six months.

Still wondering how ps vr will compare; I suspect it'll be a case of weaker hardware but not mattering because of developer support and sonys leverage.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SwissCM posted:

A big thing that people seem to be missing re: PSVR is the utterly terrible motion controls. They're positionally tracked via the camera but rotation is still handled exclusively by the gyro and accelerometers. This means drift, reportedly quite bad drift that requires frequent recalibration to fix. Think Wii Motion Plus but more annoying because they're supposed to be representing the actual position of your hands.

Yeah, this is definitely the first I'd heard of that. As annoying as it is, if the calibration is super quick and easy to do with a button press, it might not be that bad (but I'm sure it will be). The Vive requires calibration half the time I use it as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I just remembered one more thing that I really hate about the Rift - this whole pointing your head to select is MADDENING. It's nauseating.

HalloKitty posted:

Huh, I never have to re-do this. If it ever gets off (usually floor height, even that's uncommon) I just restart SteamVR and it's fine again.

Yeah, it happens a lot to me, and to a couple people I know who bought one after me. It's definitely gotten better over time, though.

• Locked thread