Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
This week we are finally having our new kitchen fitted, part of this has involved removing all the old tiling units etc. Today the plasterer is in and making the walls good for fitting and tiling. Professional fitters will be coming in tomorrow to finish off the units, worktops and flooring as well as fit all the new appliances.

However, the walls will be left bare as they were quoting £300 for tiling so I was all "Pchah I'll do it myself" as my parents used to do tiling and I can kinda remember how to do it. Not done it all myself before though so very green.

Was hoping people might have some advice on how to tile, or have any stories of DIY gone wrong so I can learn from these mistakes.

Can always advice me to just find another £100 and find a cheaper tiler which I also thought I could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
would that you were dead

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Post pics of your kitchen.

As a professional tiler with over 40 years experience, I need reference photographs to advise you.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Expect it to come out perfect on your first try because tiling is super easy and is impossible to do lovely.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Retile my kitchen? hell, i did that 10 minutes ago

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I cant remember what the hell i was doing 10minutes ago

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Expect it to come out perfect on your first try because tiling is super easy and is impossible to do lovely.

Cool I thought that was how it would work :thumbsup:

Still not hearing any horror stories to tell me otherwise.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
300 is chump change as it is and a great price for a tile job, pay them to do it. If you try to wing it it'll look like a 3rd grade art project about learning perspective.

*plus you'll make little mistakes here and there, and in a few months grout will start chipping out in spots. Then you'll be forever patching it in and it'll look all mismatched and poo poo. And the spot where you misaligned the corner a bit that threw the whole thing way off by the end of the row will gnaw away at your mind every night when you try to fall asleep... Eh. Go for it, actually.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 10, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
tiling seems really hard. i try to DIY when possible but i know when ive met my match. tiling, and pretty much anything to do with electrical work.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

I cant remember what the hell i was doing 10minutes ago

i lost a year last year and its weird brother

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Hell, by the time you pay for the tools and materials you'll be well on your way to the 300 they're asking for anyways.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn how to do something, heck if you end up enjoying it you could go onto other interior design stuff.

However, with anything, especially tiling which can get messed up easily, you should practice first before you actually do your kitchen.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
maybe encase every inch of your flesh in tile until you are suffocated and become a piece of modern art in turn OP food for thought stay wild

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Shaquin posted:

maybe encase every inch of your flesh in tile until you are suffocated and become a piece of modern art in turn OP food for thought stay wild

I have much to think about

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Trojan.exe posted:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn how to do something

I hate to be serious in GBS, but I wasn't trying to be a negative Nancy. The thing about doing tile is that there's a million little tricks to make the job go better, and a million little potential problems that have a way of compounding into a big clusterfuck. It's the kind of thing you want to learn on a smaller scale than tackling a whole kitchen by yourself unless you have someone around that knows what they're doing to give you pointers.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Frankenstyle posted:

I hate to be serious in GBS, but I wasn't trying to be a negative Nancy. The thing about doing tile is that there's a million little tricks to make the job go better, and a million little potential problems that have a way of compounding into a big clusterfuck. It's the kind of thing you want to learn on a smaller scale than tackling a whole kitchen by yourself unless you have someone around that knows what they're doing to give you pointers.

My only claims to knowledge are the bits I helped with when I was younger (quite long time ago now as a teen) and that I know my Mum, Uncle and Dad would want me to do it since they all can. They don't mind coming over to give me a hand though.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Blackfyre posted:

My only claims to knowledge are the bits I helped with when I was younger (quite long time ago now as a teen) and that I know my Mum, Uncle and Dad would want me to do it since they all can. They don't mind coming over to give me a hand though.

Oh, okay. Them buy 'em some beer and go for it. You'll do fine.

...but it'll take longer than you expect so buy enough beer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

literally every single thing you think you can do yourself as a home owner is harder thank you think it's going to be

I don't care how many youtubes you watch

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRt3E1g6LM4

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

life is not an episode of house hunters renovation on HGTV

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Try a more helpful forum like CC/DIY.

These days, small tiles often come on sheets like a giant sticker so it's hard to gently caress up the alignment. You could also look into kitchen paneling that works with magnets.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model

Frankenstyle posted:

Hence why I said something about practising first? And the fact that OP knows someone who could help?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the best part will be all the money you spend in extra labor and material after you do it all lovely and get mad and give up and hire someone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get mexicans I mean poles to do it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

OP one thing to ask yourself is, "how valuable is my time?"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ehud posted:

OP one thing to ask yourself is, "how valuable is my time?"

If youre posting here i think you already know the answer to that one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
for something like tileing would watch at least 3-4 hours of youtube tutorials before making an attempt

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
tiling is very easy op you lazy gently caress

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you should start the project witha kiln and fire your own tiles. hardware store tiles are extremely expensive and may run you in the dozens of dollars. i know a DIYer like yourself appreciates the value of home made tiles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nation posted:

tiling is very easy op you lazy gently caress

youre one of my favorite posters. i like ur jokes. im durn. k. bye

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XizEuy1tq68

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Orkin Mang posted:

youre one of my favorite posters. i like ur jokes. im durn. k. bye

lets get high

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nation posted:

lets get high

this guy

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Pics or GTFO

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hey sup

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

pics of his kitchen and tile or GTFO.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

pics of his kitchen and tile or GTFO.

whats up

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

op you should be able to draw upon the hours of experience you have from that time you rasterbated the orly owl on your dorm room wall. good luck.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling how the OP is to broke and can't afford a £300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

lolling how the OP is to broke and can't afford a £300

so where am i bro

• Locked thread