Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Toilet Mouth posted:

School districts don't share stadiums with each other.

Exactly as Jesus commanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Kids need more activity and guidance for proper exercise, but 62 million dollars for a football stadium a handful of miles away from a 50 million dollar stadium us pretty absurd. Whats the population of this town and what did the other 150 million go to?

also i say this project is silly as a fit 'n handsome goon who deadlifts fatties and bench presses barrels of lard

Most of the rest went to renovating all the other schools in the district as well as building various new facilities and whatever. Looked like a fairly decent proposal aside from the $62m stadium but hey TX wants what it wants I guess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

skander posted:

Exactly as Jesus commanded.

Well, it's really tough to share because pretty much every game in the state is played Friday night at 7:30 every week. Sometimes when several schools in a district share a stadium somebody ends up having to play Thursday night at 7, but that loving sucks. Saturday is college football, which is basically church, and Sunday is church, so you can't play either of those days.

Moridin920 posted:

Most of the rest went to renovating all the other schools in the district as well as building various new facilities and whatever. Looked like a fairly decent proposal aside from the $62m stadium but hey TX wants what it wants I guess.

A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Texans are so loving weird about football.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just thought I'd remind you guys Texas is last as in 50th place among all these glorious United States in high school graduation rate. See you on Friday night!

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

fyodor posted:

Just thought I'd remind you guys Texas is last as in 50th place among all these glorious United States in high school graduation rate. See you on Friday night!

Mississippi rejoices as it is no longer the worst in literally everything.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jim Barris posted:

Texans are so loving weird about football.

If I can make a more serious post than is merited, high school football football is a pretty big social event for the community, with generously 40% of the crowd actually engaged in the game. Pretty much every high school is going to have the following at every single game- dance team, cheerleaders, band, those people that wave flags and streamers along with the band, maybe ROTC, and maybe some kind of miscelaneous spirit team that does pushups and rings a bell and whacks each other with pool noodles after every score. They have all of this not just at the home games, they take them to every road game too. And most all of these people's parents go to every game to watch them, home and away. A high school football game is a huge production that probably half the school's students participate in one way or another. It's centered around football, but the football really doesn't even matter that much.

Except for a lot of people it's the only thing that matters, just in general.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I hope Texas keeps building stadiums. more stadiums. until every square foot of texas is covered by high school football stadiums; until the whole state is one giant, endless stadium

By 2030 the whole world will be a giant high school football stadium.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toilet Mouth posted:

If I can make a more serious post than is merited, high school football football is a pretty big social event for the community, with generously 40% of the crowd actually engaged in the game. Pretty much every high school is going to have the following at every single game- dance team, cheerleaders, band, those people that wave flags and streamers along with the band, maybe ROTC, and maybe some kind of miscelaneous spirit team that does pushups and rings a bell and whacks each other with pool noodles after every score. They have all of this not just at the home games, they take them to every road game too. And most all of these people's parents go to every game to watch them, home and away. A high school football game is a huge production that probably half the school's students participate in one way or another. It's centered around football, but the football really doesn't even matter that much.

Except for a lot of people it's the only thing that matters, just in general.

Football is big since Texas is a sahara desert for the fine arts.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
when are they gonna build a $69 mil computer lab for training our future e-athletes??

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Everyone should watch Friday Night Tykes on netflix and see how serious we take football down here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65FiMgJ4pCc

Spoiler: The black kids won

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
It might be within spitting distance of the stadium that's already up, but that one is not sticking around.

The miscalculated dead load has and will continue to fracture the foundation. An additional live load could trigger a total failure, so there will never be another crowd in there. You can't just glue that poo poo back together. Plus you have to redesign the support columns to properly disperse and support the correct load. It might not even be safe to attempt a disassembly, it will require a total demolition. They're just waiting to see who foots the bill. This gently caress up is covered by professional liability insurance, but the original contract was technically fulfilled so knows if it even qualifies. The firm won't have the money to finance a new one out of pocket and the insurers will try to say it's not their problem. Even if the city sues and wins, they might not be awarded the value that it will take to demolish the current building and rebuild the whole thing over again.

So lol Texas. $60 mil for two years of football. If you spent that on making sure your schools weren't poo poo then maybe your architects would know how to add and divide numbers right.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What nobody has mentioned, so far, is that football rulez and it's not even loving close.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dreddout posted:

Have you ever been to a Southwestern town? There is nothing to loving do, unless you like to get high your only other option is football!

These aren't small town cities, they're loving dallas suburbs. There is plenty of other stuff for them to do. And the third monster stadium mentioned is a houston suburb so they don't get a pass for nothing to do either.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Texas sure is stupid

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
All this makes sense if you switch the town name from Allen to Arlen.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

Does that mean they have 330lb, 28 year old tackles who are still juniors?

And dating 15 year old freshman?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fyodor posted:

What nobody has mentioned, so far, is that football rulez and it's not even loving close.

Resting on it's laurels.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have this idea that the money will be spent locally. I don't know what high school football is like in Texas. There aren't a bunch of assholes getting rich off the students like in college football, right? Its not being swept away to pad the pockets of billionaires like in pro football, right?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FogHelmut posted:

I have this idea that the money will be spent locally. I don't know what high school football is like in Texas. There aren't a bunch of assholes getting rich off the students like in college football, right? Its not being swept away to pad the pockets of billionaires like in pro football, right?

in this instance the assholes getting rich are the people who are going to take massive cuts of that $60 mil and build the stadium for like a tenth of that amount of money

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

in this instance the assholes getting rich are the people who are going to take massive cuts of that $60 mil and build the stadium for like a tenth of that amount of money

Pretty much this.

Watch, in 2 years this stadium will go the way of the first one that was built, deemed completely unsafe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

FogHelmut posted:

Yes there are people making money. Just not legally or officially. We now have agents for high school players they just don't call themselves that. I think one of the Brown brothers that went to K-State had one and it made news because the dude was a little flamboyant about it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Personally I think it is worth it to give kids brain damage because their retarded parents decided to move to McKinney.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Should be spending all that money on discovering undetectable performance enhancing drugs. Bunch of idiots.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Pawn 17 posted:

Do you know the odds of becoming a pro football player? it's like winning the loving lotto. Of all high school football players, only 6.7% go on to compete on NCAA teams (only 2.6% compete in D1). Of that 6.7% that makes it to NCAA teams, only 256 players are drafted by the NFL. That's 1.6% of NCAA players. So, yeah, a 0.1% chance of becoming a pro if you play HS football.

It's like the plot to every HS football movie ever.

I'm gunna turn pro and get out of this town!

*ends up as a broke and depressed laborer with a drinking problem*

I'm gunna raise my kid to be a pro football player so he can get out of this town!

I don't want your life!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Personally I think it is worth it to give kids brain damage because their retarded parents decided to move to McKinney.

Finally a good opinion

texasmed
May 27, 2004
texas is cool

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Guy I know played for Rice and is now in the NFL. He was a really good mid lane in League of Legends. Made platinum when that was an accomplishment of sorts. Good at sports, good at video games

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

texas is the reason that the president's dead!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

texasmed posted:

texas is cool

Don't mess with it, tho

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SaltLick posted:

Guy I know played for Rice and is now in the NFL. He was a really good mid lane in League of Legends. Made platinum when that was an accomplishment of sorts. Good at sports, good at video games

Speaking of League of Autism, apparently 3 top teams got kicked out of Riot's own league for massive rule violations and now have to sell their spots.

eSports: no better than regular sports

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Texas rules so hard i cant even be mean to the nerds hating on it it wouldnt even be fair like forgive them, LBJ, for they know not why they suck

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like to show people my big weiner just like lbj used to do

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
open up your purses,for the boys to reimburse us
with a goal!! line stand on 4th and 2

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fyodor posted:

Yes there are people making money. Just not legally or officially. We now have agents for high school players they just don't call themselves that. I think one of the Brown brothers that went to K-State had one and it made news because the dude was a little flamboyant about it.

That's an extension of college football, which is what he was talking about.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
we kill the best presidents but we replace them with the best too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3GT9UN7nDo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

whoflungpoop posted:

town proposes building for popular activity requiring fitness socialization and hard work, here's a misanthropic group of tubby computer janitors with the hot take

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jim Barris posted:

Mississippi rejoices as it is no longer the worst in literally everything.

MIssissippi is like in the top three for childhood vaccination compliance

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

whoflungpoop posted:

we kill the best presidents but we replace them with the best too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3GT9UN7nDo

Arguably he was great and did some noble things but what is not up for debate is he was an ice cold motherfucker. See every single page of this book:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
My favorite part was when LBJ grew out long hair in the last years of his life.
http://imgur.com/95I69je

• Locked thread