Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

That dunkey review is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Dustoph posted:

Guessing Cassie is OP because I just played this for the first time and went about 10 rounds with just her getting most eliminations, damage, solo kills and multi kills. Every. Single. Round.

She is reallllly good yea. Being able to shoot 700 damage a shot with crazy good accuracy makes her a bitch to deal with. Whenever I'm in a game Cassie and Skye are the first 2 targets I try to kill just because they will wreck you if you don't.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
I am a big overwatch fan and I like free games so I tried this and boy is it mediocre in just about every way. There is no weight behind anything.

Woodburger fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 21, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Woodburger posted:

I am a big overwatch fan and I like free games so I tried this and boy is it mediocre in just about every way. There is no weight behind anything.

pretty sure there is weight behind some of the keyboards involved

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Skye is so broken she is a lot of fun to play.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Knifegrab posted:

Skye is so broken she is a lot of fun to play.

I got a quint kill with her ultimate the other day :allears: so utterly ridiculous. It's a better version of Viktor's artillery strike.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Woodburger posted:

Thanks to all the bitter Overwatch fanboys this thread has actually exceeded it's weight limit

I saw Lutha's reply but clicked the button anyway because he was too easy on your non contributing post.

TIME TO PLAY SOME PALADINS!, add LONGBEARD if you want to play a game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I dunno if calling people who are trying out this new game, this new game that needs new people to succeed in a currently very competitive market, fanboys is a great idea. I'm downloading the game and plan to give it a try and you better believe I'll be making comparisons to TF2 and Overwatch in my trip report because they're the current gold standard for the genre. It's great if you love a game, don't get shrill about any criticism.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

extra stout posted:

Thanks to all the bitter Overwatch fanboys this thread has actually exceeded it's weight limit

I saw Lutha's reply but clicked the button anyway because he was too easy on your non contributing post.

TIME TO PLAY SOME PALADINS!, add LONGBEARD if you want to play a game.

I won't poo poo up your safe thread anymore with my valid criticism. I admit I could have gone on a bit more about what I disliked about it but I'll go and let you enjoy your moba-fps.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Verranicus posted:

I dunno if calling people who are trying out this new game, this new game that needs new people to succeed in a currently very competitive market, fanboys is a great idea. I'm downloading the game and plan to give it a try and you better believe I'll be making comparisons to TF2 and Overwatch in my trip report because they're the current gold standard for the genre. It's great if you love a game, don't get shrill about any criticism.

As he admitted in his post above mine just now 'overwatch good 'this game mediocre' is not really helping anyone decide if they want to play Paladins or not. Legitimate criticism: If you're from Dota you'll have to deal with game using a League of Legends system to unlock two heroes a week or whatever the speed is for an average amount of game time, the better skins typically can't be bought with the gold currency easily grindable from playing the game, the social menu has a few bugs. Honestly for a beta the game is really smooth, I paid the 13 bucks to unlock all content and get the bonus goodies, but I would have unlocked all of the heroes pretty quickly even just playing for fun every night.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

extra stout posted:

As he admitted in his post above mine just now 'overwatch good 'this game mediocre' is not really helping anyone decide if they want to play Paladins or not. Legitimate criticism: If you're from Dota you'll have to deal with game using a League of Legends system to unlock two heroes a week or whatever the speed is for an average amount of game time, the better skins typically can't be bought with the gold currency easily grindable from playing the game, the social menu has a few bugs. Honestly for a beta the game is really smooth, I paid the 13 bucks to unlock all content and get the bonus goodies, but I would have unlocked all of the heroes pretty quickly even just playing for fun every night.

Like I'm not saying the game is bad or good but you've gotta be less defensive with this coming out on the coattails of Overwatch which was a massive success. Mediocre isn't even that bad when put beside Battleborn which was just terrible.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Verranicus posted:

Like I'm not saying the game is bad or good but you've gotta be less defensive with this coming out on the coattails of Overwatch which was a massive success. Mediocre isn't even that bad when put beside Battleborn which was just terrible.

I replied to a post that served no purpose with a mild joke that served very little purpose, I'm fine with people thinking "Well I already paid 50 bucks for Overwatch and it's Blizzard, I'd better not quit!"

But I'm gonna keep playing some casual Paladins, today brings yet another free skin code and this one requires zero social media or effort, enjoy

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/paladins-evie

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Paladins: Evie + Black Ice Skin Giveaway
Your unique activation code:
PBEA2E603AF560909

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Add Etreri if you want some company.
Also Berik gets pretty nasty with some of his cards.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Goon Bruddies! Add Dustoph.

I'm coming from the situation where I started playing TF2 again about a month before Overwatch came out, after a 5+ year hiatus. Overwatch looked interesting, but I'm tired of throwing down money on games I quit within a week. TF2 was currently scratching that itch so why bother. This is free. It's fun so far and feels a lot different than TF2.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Back already to say forcing players to play against bots until level 5 is stupid.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Verranicus posted:

Back already to say forcing players to play against bots until level 5 is stupid.

Especially when those bots are quite literally following you through walls.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

I'm fine with people thinking "Well I already paid 50 bucks for Overwatch and it's Blizzard, I'd better not quit!"

lmao sick burn bro :xd:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Been playing this inbetween hating myself in WoW and doing actually useful poo poo. (And forgetting about an LP. Oops.) It's alright, I've enjoyed playing the two jumping around wildly assholes in the game, Buck and Pip. Balance is all over the place in the game though and I'm wondering if it's going to be the same shitshow that GA was at some points. Free to play/13 bucks for everything though. The sheer number of people that play like they're confused by walking and aiming at the same time are kind of funny. Orthrus in game.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Todd Harris, Hi-Rez's co-founder, made an effort post detailing why Paladins is totally a unique game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Paladins/comments/53qusf/a_brief_history_of_paladins_as_response_to/

Todd Harris posted:

As a last point, it would be almost impossible for a studio of our size to 'clone' Overwatch in a year, but Overwatch did have some nice features that we decided to incorporate into Paladins (Kill Cam, Improved Lag comp, some verbiage like 'eliminations')
Straight from the horse's mouth

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My last game had a Brazilian Grover who spent the entire game calling the Sniper Lady on our team a noob (I presume it was because the sniper was not standing on the objective but hanging back and, you know, sniping).

This game is really starting to grow on me, it's actually kinda fun despite its flaws and I'm enjoying the nuclear salt I encounter every other match. :allears:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lmao sick burn bro :xd:

My posts are like Fernando mashing that F and holding his left click til it's all over.

FrostyPox posted:

My last game had a Brazilian Grover who spent the entire game calling the Sniper Lady on our team a noob (I presume it was because the sniper was not standing on the objective but hanging back and, you know, sniping).

This game is really starting to grow on me, it's actually kinda fun despite its flaws and I'm enjoying the nuclear salt I encounter every other match. :allears:

Just by picking grover he was probably helping your team more with his passive aoe heal than any dps character in this game could do, I for one would like to befriend A Brazilian Grover, or maybe pay to change my in game name to that.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 22, 2016

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

extra stout posted:

My posts are like Fernando mashing that F and holding his left click til it's all over.

Just by picking grover he was probably helping your team more with his passive aoe heal than any dps character in this game could do, I for one would like to befriend A Brazilian Grover, or maybe pay to change my in game name to that.

Oh, for sure he was contributing just by existing, it was just funny to see him get mad at the sniper who was actually doing a decent job. Hell, it was more my fault for being a medicore flanker/counter-flanker.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

tried playing earlier this morning, first game disconnected me from the server halfway in, second game froze up during loading. also the game doesn't run very well on my laptop. maybe i'll try again after a patch or two

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Just did a couple matches against actual people and can confirm the game is still mediocre to below average at best. Everything feels really cheap and movement feels floaty, attacks have no weight to them and hitboxes are absurdly big. The UI is painful to look at and the card system feels tacked on and janky.

Maybe it'll get better after beta but for now I have to echo the sentiments of other posters in here: It's a budget Overwatch clone. If you're looking for a team shooter like this but with way more polish play TF2 or Overwatch.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's not really grabbing me either. If they plan on supporting the game and developing it more into something unique, it could be good though. The card system is one area they could get creative, even if right now there are a lot of "get 5% more of X" modifiers. I think I'm going to amend my previous post though, and just uninstall it until the proper launch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If they plan on supporting the game and developing it more into something unique, it could be good though.

It's HiRez so the moment it isn't bringing in the big bucks they'll drop it like it's not so hot.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Orv posted:

It's HiRez so the moment it isn't bringing in the big bucks they'll drop it like it's not so hot.

Yeah, Smite was a bizarre fluke in how well it's doing, they don't exactly have a great track record.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah Smite's the only reason I gave this game a chance

Orv
May 4, 2011
A moment of silence for early Global Agenda beta PvP.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I had to stop playing this.... Not for lack of fun but apparently there is a glitch with the patcher that causes a lot of trouble with your memory that has been around as long as smite has existed and they've never fixed it...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I had to stop playing this.... Not for lack of fun but apparently there is a glitch with the patcher that causes a lot of trouble with your memory that has been around as long as smite has existed and they've never fixed it...

What does it do?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
The updater ends up eating up all your memory space

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I like this game. Yeah, it's similar to Overwatch, but I dunno. It's different enough for me to enjoy it. Pip is fun as gently caress too.

I'm Tsurupettan in game.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
PCGamer has a good review on why this game feels mediocre, mainly the effects/feedback lack a bit of oomph right now. And the weapon hitboxes for the weapons that do 700+ damage per shot are way too lenient. The card system is interesting and could be more interesting if they don't worry about balance and just increase the card selection. Curiously all the heroes unlocked from the start also basically have their best cards unlocked for free while most of the locked heroes like Buck, the turtle and the tree are vastly, vastly improved if you buy their locked cards instead of using their garbage starter selection.

In as VanillaMint

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Not being able to invite people to a party because they are in a match is stupid. Or being able to leave a queue / lobby.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 23, 2016

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Yey! The memory problem that I was having with this game was fixed today!

Only took them 5 years but whatever!

SomewhatMystia
Sep 9, 2016

I'm also somewhat hungry.
Played a few games off/on over the week. Pip is probably the most fun I've had as a support in an FPS outside of Anna in Overwatch! The stealth girl (Skye?) is also pretty fun. Helps that she's got a DoT. I'm not so hot on Fernando, though; his design is... weird. Like, they should've went full on chivalry knight man instead of sticking him with a flamethrower as his weapon. It just feels weird and out of place.

Oh, right, is there only one map right now or am I just *really* unlucky with the rotation?

My in-game name is SomewhatMystia, if anyone wants to give it a go over the weekend.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's only one map for like the first five or six player level. Likewise you only face AI for your first few player levels.

Self Note: Don't try to be cute and switch to picking a frontliner after two was already picked because it was terribly silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It's only one map for like the first five or six player level. Likewise you only face AI for your first few player levels.

Self Note: Don't try to be cute and switch to picking a frontliner after two was already picked because it was terribly silly

This game is really growing on me after I realized the entire population usually only wants to play damage or flankers when one or two frontliners is what really wins matches.

I find Evie quite fun but with a high skill ceiling; Fernando is hilarious.