Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Never heard of a tap and gently caress it pay method but I'm intrigued.. how could that be secure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

jBrereton posted:

lol where do you live where chip and PIN hasn't been standard for like 10 years now

fuckin' goddam 'MURICA. Where the average idiot can't remember a 4-digit pin so we took out half the security. Now lets all go out with our chip and sig cards and buy more victory guns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Chip and PIN is trivial to hack anyplace where you have unrestricted physical access to the payment terminal (i.e. not a gas pump or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0SOn8hjG8

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Apple and Android Pay are the same they use EMV via NFC.
They do the one time code thing and use a different card number then your actual card. Plus you need to unlock your phone via pin or fingerprint.
Samsung pay is different, it works on any terminal by replicating a magnetic strip. So they advertise it as "working anywhere" I think it also uses a one-time code and pin, but it's not a big global standard, its just Samsung's thing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
All the places around me got these installed a few months ago however whenever I ask them if I should use that they say "no, it's not set up yet" what's up with that?

Must suck to work retail and get asked about it hundreds of times a day.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
There are six self checkout stations at the CVS I go to. Five of them let you swipe your card even if it's got a chip, whatever. One of them insists when you swipe your card that have to you use the chip reader instead. If you try using the chip reader first it tells you to swipe, then it tells you to use the chip reader instead. The guy who watches the self-checkout tells me it's broken. I believe him.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

lurklurklurk posted:

If I understand correctly it's doing a challenge and response thing. The chip has some hidden key inside of it, the machine gives it some random integer, and the chip passes the key and integer into a cryptographic hash of some kind returning anther integer. The card company is expecting this specific integer, but only this time. They pass a different input integer every time, so stealing the result of a single hash gives no information about the hidden key. This means that a man-in-the-middle attack can't be used to steal your card info. It still doesn't help if someone steals your card, which is why they require a key in EU countries. IDK why we don't do it here, it's kinda dumb.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Makes sense, except why does it need to be a chip to do this? Couldn't they just as well pass the key or whatever using the magnetic strip?

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

jBrereton posted:

lol where do you live where chip and PIN hasn't been standard for like 10 years now

I always so euro idiots online talking about pin and chip and how good it is and how americas in the stone age and then my new card has the lovely chip thing and surprise its garbage.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
you have to put it in the loving card reader for like 10 years before it reads and theres no sense of feedback if it worked or not. lol. ITS poo poo!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Revenants Return posted:

you have to put it in the loving card reader for like 10 years before it reads and theres no sense of feedback if it worked or not. lol. ITS poo poo!

Actually it does let you know by sounding a loud alarm that makes it seem like it is about to explode.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

for everyone else in the world this thread is like a time machine

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Revenants Return posted:

You don't get the noise that sounds like a loving fire alarm and makes it seem like the thing's gonna explode, but actually it just means that it worked?

Edit: LOL I didn't even read the post just below this one, I guess it's the only way to describe it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Vulture Culture posted:

Chip and PIN is trivial to hack anyplace where you have unrestricted physical access to the payment terminal (i.e. not a gas pump or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0SOn8hjG8
Cool video. Fraud is cool.

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!
I'm pretty sure my debit card information got stolen during that Target thing a while back. It was a big shock, because they managed to spend all my money during a weekend, and all the transactions showed up on Monday. It was obvious fraud and the bank fixed it quickly.

The real problem is that I've been boycotting McDonalds for almost 15 years. Guess what, they bought a bunch of McDonalds with it. God drat it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

T8R posted:

I'm pretty sure my debit card information got stolen during that Target thing a while back. It was a big shock, because they managed to spend all my money during a weekend, and all the transactions showed up on Monday. It was obvious fraud and the bank fixed it quickly.

The real problem is that I've been boycotting McDonalds for almost 15 years. Guess what, they bought a bunch of McDonalds with it. God drat it.

Why have you been boycotting mcdonalds?

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
in before rfid chips in your wrist

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why have you been boycotting mcdonalds?

why wouldn't any right minded person boycott mcd's?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Outpost22 posted:

why wouldn't any right minded person boycott mcd's?

one dollar unsweetened tea

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Why are you still just not paying by holding your phone up to the reader?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Because all* the companies involved in the US want to own the standard and make everyone else pay them to use it :shrug:

*at least, enough of them to prevent consensus, which doesn't have to be a whole bunch, but it is a whole bunch iirc

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My new ATM card has the chip and now when I withdraw money, it takes the card into the machine and doesn't give me the money until I take the card back at the end of the transaction.

I wonder how long until someone takes their card back and leaves the money hanging in the slot that you're supposed to take it from as they drive away.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

ThaGrandCow posted:

My new ATM card has the chip and now when I withdraw money, it takes the card into the machine and doesn't give me the money until I take the card back at the end of the transaction.

I wonder how long until someone takes their card back and leaves the money hanging in the slot that you're supposed to take it from as they drive away.

The machines usually start beeping like crazy after the money's been hanging out of it for a couple seconds. After a minute or so the money is taken in again, and a no-collection report with the sum is sent to the bank for later followup with the dumb customer.

Last year, some dumb rear end in my country went to the police to report that foreigners had robbed him of $300 at the ATM. A day later he got a phone call from the bank to inform him that the $300 he had forgotten to collect had been added back to his account. Of course now he was too embarrassed to inform the police of his error so the charade went on for another couple weeks before he got figured out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

i never use cash unless its for drugs true story

Last time I bought weed I used a check as both the gas stations by my guys house had busted ATMs and I for some reason had a few checks in my glovebox.

Cash rules though, don't want the government knowing how many times a day I stop and buy coffee.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

visiting america from the uk and the atms were really weird and it's freaky not entering a number when buying stuff. also why the gently caress do your supermarkets give you like 500 plastic bags and only put like 2 things in each one?

complimentary soap
Nov 29, 2014
have not swiped a card in like 5 years maybe more, dont know what 3rd world countries still use that poo poo
chip much easier and faster u just stick it in and done in 1 second just like, well u know

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Geeze, technology is supposed to make our lives easier. These pins and chips are a pain in the rear I tell you what. I'm convinced that the devil is a computer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've started using Samsung pay everywhere. Everyone supports it, I've been shocked. The bodega down the street even accepts it. The only (and I mean only) place I can't use it is buying gas. It's amazing. Way faster than the stupid chip.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Stuffguyman posted:

Makes sense, except why does it need to be a chip to do this? Couldn't they just as well pass the key or whatever using the magnetic strip?

Magnetic strips are read only, think like a barcode.

The chips actually have circuits and poo poo in them so they can take inputs and spit poo poo back out.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

texaholic posted:

Pretty sure everywhere in America? Also all you need is the card, only have to use my pin with the actual bank.

Even in Backwater Baton Rouge, Louisiana you have to put in a PIN

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

visiting america from the uk and the atms were really weird and it's freaky not entering a number when buying stuff. also why the gently caress do your supermarkets give you like 500 plastic bags and only put like 2 things in each one?

Old ladies demand this

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
At walmart they released a software update to the POSes that finally enabled the chip and pin on the scanners that have been there for years and years. If someone swiped a card that also has a chip, the computer flips out and DEMANDS that the person use the chip instead, refusing to complete the transaction.

Like what the gently caress computer, the card has already been swiped just loving take it. The average Walmart customer is very retarded and can't figure out a new way to pay just loving take the card like you did 24 hours ago goddamn.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
POS EMV NFC CVS. Too drat many acronyms and initialisms.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

I've started using Samsung pay everywhere. Everyone supports it, I've been shocked. The bodega down the street even accepts it. The only (and I mean only) place I can't use it is buying gas. It's amazing. Way faster than the stupid chip.

Why is this poo poo only available on Samsung devices. I mean I get why(buy a Samsung phone!) but it apparently actually does work everywhere like they claim? Apple and Android pay use NFC and like no places have terminals that support it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I was reading that apparently in Sweden now more than half of banks don't deal in cash anymore, as in they don't have a single bill on the premises because nobody uses it. I mean hell these days if two people have a mobile phone you can send money directly person to person for like, barely any fees. Even email transfers are like, a dollar lol. What do you need it for other than cabs because their debit and credit machines are often conveniently "broken", and even then thanks to poo poo like Uber all the cab companies are getting their own auto payment apps.

I don't know what busted rear end card readers they're using in the states but a Chip and Pin transactions take like, less than fifteen seconds. Pretty much anything under $100 people tap to pay anyway.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bradzilla posted:

Why is this poo poo only available on Samsung devices. I mean I get why(buy a Samsung phone!) but it apparently actually does work everywhere like they claim? Apple and Android pay use NFC and like no places have terminals that support it.

Did some reading up and it actually broadcasts a magnetic signal to the magstripe reader and makes it think a card was swiped. If the terminal is NFC then it uses NFC instead. Brilliant!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A local burger joint I go to has a proprietary app that functions as a rewards card kind of thing where you can scan codes to build up credit and eventually get free food, and so many times I have gone there only to have the line held up by someone trying to use lovely smart phone garbage to pay for their food.

The trouble is not with the app, from the ads they have up it looks like it's well-designed. The problem is that pressing any button or touch input on a smart phone even in 2016 has around a 50% or less chance of working and it turns out that's really important when you only have a small window to enter how much you're paying for your food. The credit card chip is annoying, but it is nowhere near as annoying as that, I assure you.

.random
May 7, 2007

Sooo... the "chip" is actually a mini cryptographic processor. It is doing the challenge/response calculations ON THE CARD ITSELF and not on the POS (point of sale? piece of poo poo? you decide) terminal into which you insert the card. That is where the actual security comes from vs. magstripe which just passively stores some value in itself.

The reason for the chip "crack" is that some chip card manufacturers (not all providers) implemented the whole process incorrectly. Oops. This is tragically common when it comes to cryptography v:shobon:v

.random fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 11, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Because all* the companies involved in the US want to own the standard and make everyone else pay them to use it :shrug:

*at least, enough of them to prevent consensus, which doesn't have to be a whole bunch, but it is a whole bunch iirc

I like how people say this as if Visa/MC don't already own basically everything

Visa has 52% of market share, MC has 30.2%, and AMEX has 9.1%, Discover has about 9%

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I was reading that apparently in Sweden now more than half of banks don't deal in cash anymore, as in they don't have a single bill on the premises because nobody uses it. I mean hell these days if two people have a mobile phone you can send money directly person to person for like, barely any fees. Even email transfers are like, a dollar lol.

lol and now we pay financial institutions rent to use our own currency and it is normal and good

quote:

Chip and Pin transactions take like, less than fifteen seconds.
must be the same ones in Germany then because they are equally poo poo

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The point of the chip is that the banks issued you a chip card and all the stores near you only do chip readers now so that's what you have to do because we're all slaves to the system. Hope that clears it up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
NFC is faster than chip but slower than swipe, I say we dump the chip.

• Locked thread