Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, generally it's kind of a breather point. If there is a specific thing you wanna do, now is the time to either signal it in your posting or just straight up do the thing. There's an unspoken agreement that the GM doesn't do "and then a dragon attacks" and the players don't go "I usurp the town and murder all the inhabitants," but beyond that, this one's pretty sandboxy. If you're not wholly sure about a thing you wanna do, ask first. Ideas you guys have mean less prep time for me, which is always nice.

Message Board

The guild halls are open 24/7, because you never can tell when you'll get back to town after chasing an angry lizard across the countryside. Those so inclined can drop by whenever they like to check the jobs board.

Hunter jobs open up on the regular, because sometimes the world is a scary place and nobody's had any better ideas yet. They're separated into classes, based on the relative experience of the hunters in question and assigned a rank based on a complex series of formulas administered by the guild staff. You're all freshly inked into the ledgers of the guild, so you qualify for rank one jobs.

There's always a couple jobs posted that are sketchy - some offer preposterous amounts of money for taking out a miniraptor, some just ask you to be in a place at a time which tend to turn into sales pitches or cult recruitment efforts, and there's always one at every board asking for strong, able-bodied hunters to stand around with no clothes on, for totally innocent purposes, you can't arrest me for that.

Among the legit jobs are the following:

Easy ca$h ca$h ca$h!

Hunters wanted! Go on the prowl for an easy mark*! Inquire at desk for more details. Bring your weapons!

Medical Supply Gathering

Local alchemist seeks gathering party to acquire five orgel caps. Payment upon delivery, keep anything else you find.

LOOK Make Your Name With Big Hunting Events LOOK

You wanna make it big, you wanna hunt for us! Only the biggest names, biggest rewards, and biggest monsters! The only way to earn reward is through risk!! - Rein

Which in out of character terms means option 1 is an easier combat mission, option 2 is a gathering map without combat where you can farm mats, and option 3 is a harder combat mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

Nemo taps his foot impatiently and groans, trying to peek between the legs of his taller counterparts to see the posted jobs. Finally he manages to squeeze through the crowd and read the message board. A moment later he freezes up and does his best to not look at Gilfrey, knowing full well that the alchemist has to be positively brimming with nerdy excitement at the second mission offering. Still, Gilfrey did save him the trouble of filling out those dreadful documents, and he doesn't yet have a bead on what sorts of quests the other hunters are interested in...

He clears his throat. "Perhaps now that we've endeared ourselves to the local Lords and Ladies, we should do some service for the peasantry and artisans. Here, a listing from a local brewer looking for help to gather medicinal flora." The tiny thespian has yet to actually turn around and face his guildmates, mostly because he doesn't want them to see him gritting his teeth as he barely manages to spew forth such unambitious rhetoric. "Besides, if we procure some of that fungi for ourselves, coupled with the bulbs we were so graciously gifted before, we may be able to start delving into our own horticulture."

Nemo is suggesting the second quest as his primary choice, though a careful listener (or someone who just happens to recognize his flair for combat) would likely pick up on his desire to also do the third quest.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

"Oooh, I thought nobody else would be interested!" Gilfrey clasps his hands together excitedly and gives Nemo a broad smile. He almost wants to give the little guy a hug, but that might seem inappropriate at this precise time. Maybe later. "How perfect! This would give us time to bond as a team outside of a combat situation, and give me- I mean us, the chance to endear ourselves to a fellow Alchemist! It'll be good to get the old herbalist gloves out once again!" He clears his throat, and subdues the smile slightly. "More seriously, it would also let us define ourselves as a broadly skilled guild rather than only a combat-capable one. Still, that one with the multiple instance of Look in the title would be a good way to prove ourselves as being the uhm, 'Real Deal' as they say."

Gilfrey strains to reach the board for a closer look. "Hmm, one of you will have to recover the bills for me... ah well, this gives me time to adjust my equipment and fill out more of that paperwork." He sounds a little more than excited at the idea of both. "Keep thinking on a name!"

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Radios

Radios doesn't quite grimace when he reads the second job offered, but he doesn't exactly smile like sunshine and rainbows. A 'local Alchemist' doesn't have a lot of options in Blue Valley, and Gilfrey is already here and mostly requestless. Which means the only Alchemist in Blue Valley that he probably hasn't offended(?) or been offended by couldn't have put up the job request, which means...

"Ugh, count me out of meeting the client if we take the collection job." It's even worse because he'd love to gather some olgel caps for himself, especially after seeing the sorts of concoctions that Gilfrey worked with, not to mention Will's cycle-tron. Ideas of different, temporary even, types of fuel are already racing through his head, but if it's really for one of the Alchemists he's thinking of, would it really be worth it? "We should focus on big rewards while our names' on people's tongues. Gotta capitalize on fickle word of mouth while we can..."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bleu Cornflower

"Yes, of course I know how to cook! Wildbreaking includes breaking bread!", Bleu points out at the end of the meal to Nemo. Well, hopefully her cooking is better than her wit.

-----

"I like 'Clear Sky Union'.", she points out to Gilfrey as she stares at the bounty board. "And gathering seems simple, with Tura's nose." Granted, how good he is at finding mushrooms isn't so well-tested. Rubbing her neck, she says, "Nothing says we have to take only one, but..." She looks to Radios. "... do you really think we're ready for something like that? It seems a little shady, too..." She narrows her eyes as she looks forward, as if examining the board for any suspect signs.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will

"Man, name it whatever." Will looks at the signs on the board. "We gotta at least check out this Rein guy. Big monsters are way more fun than little piddling raptor. Like, yeah they're a bit more dangerous but come on guys, we trounced those raptors, no sweat at all! If we don't challenge ourselves we'll just stagnate as boring ol'... exterminators."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Gwenivere looks up from perusing the sketchy ads for amusement's sake. "I'm with Will. And even if it turns out shady, we'll still get a good fight out of it."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios

Radios shrugs at Bleu's hesitance, his own insensitivity overriding any legitimate concerns she might be raising. "We might be somewhat outclassed in terms of overall power, but there's nothing in Blue Valley that's so potent that we couldn't just lock it down long enough for us to run away." He laughs, looking pleased at the thought of making use of another sticky bomb. "At that point, it's just a matter of harassing it and running away over and over again until we outlast it. Patient hunting pays off sometimes."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

Nemo does his best to not jump for joy - It seems he's dodged yet another dreadful trip to forage with Gilfrey - and offers a stoic nod to Gwen. "There's certainly something to be said for building our reputation as slayers before branching out. Mission the third it is, then."

He again scoots through the legs of the taller guild members and makes for the exit. "If you'll excuse me, I must got sharpen my blade in preparation. I shall rejoin you shortly." Now, what Nemo actually plans on doing is spending some time in his quarters working out new special attack names, but no one needs to know that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rein's Office

Your new contact is apparently down on Riverside. Really down. You have to take a rickety iron stairway instead of one of the city stair-avenues to get to where he's set up shop. Unlike most of the buildings down by the river, which are made of sturdy stuff to resist the occasional monster attack, your new benefactor has chosen to set up a tent on top of an old miner's supply store. It is kind of nice down here, though - cooled by the running water just a few feet away, and comparatively quiet for the part of town most likely to have explosions going off underneath it.

As soon as you take a step onto the roof, the kobold you assume is Rein bursts out of the tent. "Hello, hello, hello, I hope you're here about the job offer! Otherwise this is going to be kind of awkward!"

The kobold rushes forward to shake each of your hands in turn, affirming that he is in fact the Rein you're looking for. His grip is warm and a little sweaty. He's wearing a purple suit, which shimmers slightly in the indirect light this far below the surface. He is also bald, which is not something any of you have seen before. Mangy kobolds, sure, but not bald. It is entirely possible you're about to get a job from a kobold who has intentionally shaved the top of his head.

"Listen, glad you're here, glad to make new contacts with a group of adventuresome individuals like yourselves. I know there's a lot of hunters out there, they'd turn up their nose at a raptor hunt, too good for it and all, but let me tell you this is a unique opportunity with unique potentials! This isn't just any job and it isn't just any raptor you're after, and there's no reward without a little risk, am I right? Of course, of course. Listen, let me be up front - I'm a start-up, a new playmaker on the scene, but don't let that dissuade you!"

The chattery kobold pushes a piece of paper at you, which appears to be a notarized letter of credit from one of the up-town banks, authorizing him quite a stake. You have you wonder what collateral he put up to get a loan like that, but his paper looks good.

"There's my backing, and here's my word on the matter: you make this kill, you'll be rolling in it! I've got a whole portfolio of futures established on this beastie, and you guys are gonna be the ones to take it down, I can see it in your eyes! This is my chance - your chance! to make it big!"

He does a fist-pump, and then holds it. It is unclear if he expects questions, or for you to join in on his lack of movement, but if you needed to actually get a word in edgewise, now would probably be a good time for it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

In Gwenivere's experience, the sudden appearance of dubious characters with big plans and plenty of enthusiasm immediately precedes some kind of military disaster. The question is whether it's just an every day misadventure, or the sort of truly spectacular fiasco that becomes enshrined in cynical barracks yarns for a generation.

When Rein finally winds down, she does what any good subaltern would and asks the obvious questions. "What kind of raptor are we talking about, and where do we find it?"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 18, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rein

Rein holds his fist-pump after Gwen finishes speaking for a heartbeat too long to be comfortable.

"Glad you asked, good question, great question. It's one of the big raptors, not sure exactly what it's called, since I'm an ideas guy, not a biologist. Big frill on top, long tail on the bottom, usually surrounded by a bunch of the little guys. What I do know is that there's a big fat caerulite deposit that thing's nesting on, and I've got the title to the land. Hard to get in there to get the useful stuff out of the ground with a big angry lizard on it, though, and that's where you go-getters come in."

Big frill, attracts a lot of little raptors? Sounds like another macroraptor. Also, that sounds like a whole lot of money he might be sitting on if his claim is true, in all senses.

"The nest is out in Byers canyon, about a day's walk east. Passed over in the first couple of prospecting waves on account of being full of monsters and pretty deep. But where there's danger, there's opportunity! Your danger. And my ample financial and logistical backing. I'd bring climbing gear, or at least a helmet, if you wear that kind of thing."

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

Gilfrey's had a bit of time to come down from his disappointment over not getting to do the botany contract, and the frequency of his worried 'hmm' sounds has decreased sharply along the way. At least, they did until the group met their contractor. He sighs as he takes out a small notebook and quill.

"Well then Mister Rein, do you know anything of instrumental value for us here? It sounds like you're familiar with the area, so do you know if there are any agreeable approaches or terrain advantages we should be aware of? If these raptors are as dangerous as your advertisement has led us to believe I would like to hold whatever advantage I can over them." He flips to a blank page and looks at the Kobold expectantly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nemo is less about questions and more about solutions. "I'm sure we will be able to figure it out on our own, we're a capable unit."

"Now, give us our supplies and we will be on our way. We are here to slay, not to stay." It's hard to know why he's so grumpy all of the sudden, but hopefully harvesting some nice meat and leather will ease his addled mind.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 18, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rein

"There is one thing I know," Rein says. He bumbles over to Gilfrey and puts his hands on the foreigner's shoulders, reaching up a little to do so.

"I know you can do it, buddy. Now go get 'em, tiger!"

Rein chucks Gilfrey in the arm and backs off.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"I uh, well.. thank you, Mr. Rein." It sounds very sincere. "I do hope you'll put in a good word for us with your colleagues, yes?"

Gilfrey looks to the others. "Does anyone else have any questions or concerns? If not, I say we prepare our things and set out at dawn. Sounds like we might have quite the walk ahead of us.."

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

"Naw, I'm with Little Red on this one. Let's get this show on the road!"

At first, Radios had been keeping away from the client, just in case Rein ended up being related to one of the many, many, ignorantly upset shopkeeps and artisans that he'd somehow offended in the past. Or actually was one of them, but once the boisterous—almost overly-emphasized at that—kobold confessed to being less a maker or a bookstudy and more of a dreamer, Radios had strolled back into the open to join his new guildies. Ideas-men were good to have around, especially the kind with lots of money to toss around.

No big bets on this one being all that trustworthy, or upfront about everything related to the job, but betrayals were what sleep powder and truth serums were for.

"'Sides, sooner we get this Lizzie hauled up, sooner we get back and get s'more work. Not like those olgels are going anywhere anytime soon."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bleu is quiet for a long moment, resting against Tura as she watches the kobold. After a moment, she yawns, which is apparently infectious enough to make Tura yawn, too. After a moment, she rubs her head and stands up straight. Slapping her cheeks, she seems to wake herself up.

"There's nothing you've forgotten, is there?", Bleu asks the kobold forwardly. Well, looks like she was paying attention, at least. "I mean, it doesn't seem possible, but since your whole future's riding on this, you should make absolutely sure!" She looks to Gwenivere, as if seeking agreement. "So if there any other details you've missed in your excitement, now's your last chance!"

She may be rubbing it in a bit, but she smiles, waiting for a moment.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"So, what happened to the hair?" says Will, appearing uncaring about the job and any potential risks thereof. "Was it on purpose or did you have a nasty encounter with the Giant Lice that live out Blackdown way? I had a nasty run-in with those guys once. Was missing a big patch on my back for about a month." He scratches the spot, unconsciously. "Of course, the next one almost took my head off so I didn't even notice until I got back and the doc started laughing at me."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere goes over to stand next to Bleu, nodding. "We wouldn't want any misunderstandings. Any complications cropping up, which could have been avoided with a more thorough briefing."

Bleu might have been the one yawning, but Gwenivere's the one who seems blase now. It's about as reassuring as Bleu's smile, though. It's not so much that the former soldier doesn't care, as that she's seen it all before, and is short of patience for any sort of nonsense. The way she's idly making adjustments to her carbine certainly doesn't make her look any more approachable.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey waves his hands in a small panic. "Now now now, please! I am sure if our employer knew information that would better our odds he would have provided it; after all, it would cost nothing and only increase the likelihood of a good outcome." He turns to face their prospective employer. "Isn't that right, Mister Rein? In any case- if you do think of anything we should know, you can find us in the same place you posted that bill while we put our things together. Does that sound okay? Alright, good."

"Now-" Gilfrey adjusts his ears "-it is a long walk back up those stairs for me and I need to make adjustments to my weaponry. I feel very bad about the poison incident so I will be.. uh, tooling it out of use. I'd rather not risk long term effects to my hopefully long term friends." He gives a broad wink to the team before trundling off.

Just as he goes out of sight, Gilfrey peeks back around the corner: "Feel free to come along, I like to talk when I walk and it's better with someone to listen!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nemo looks around for a moment and then shrugs. "... I shall go make sure he doesn't lose our supplies." The samurai takes off after his friend, begrudgingly.

"I encourage you all to follow once your business with our employer is complete," he gives his guildmates a glance of desperation, well aware that his ears are about to be talked off. "With haste, if you please." Nemo then scurries ahead, keeping just a few steps behind Gilfrey as he counts the bumps in the clouds or some such thing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rein

If Rein has noticed the women threatening him with loaded guns and tigers, he doesn't let it show.

He does however loop one arm around Will's shoulders. "Good eye," he says, extending his index finger and thumb. "You're a shark. Sharks have good eyesight. You know what sharks don't have? Hair. Slows them down, keeps them hot. Gotta keep a cool head if you want to succeed in business.

"I mean, ha ha, I'm not weird about it or anything, I'm not shaving anything else, ha ha." Rein smiles brightly. "You want to give it a whirl, shark?"

Rein does not have any further information for you, because he's an idiot. But he does have enough money to make sure you get paid. If you're looking to do a little bit of crafting before you head out, now would be the time.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

It's with a heavy heart and conscience that Radios leaves Rein's ample supplies and money in favor of his guildmaster and pet murderfluff. While the urge to make as much use of the workshop supplies that Rein is doubtlessly wasting is strong, sadly, Radios' own desire to keep his sanity about him proves stronger.

Soon, I'll return for you, sweet materials. And with plenty of friends to combine you with, too! Making a vow in his heart, Radios catches up—not that it's hard, given his walking pace easily matches their shuffling and waddling—to his guildies who favored wits over PR.

"So, Boss-man." Radios eyes Gilfrey and, more importantly, his strange lobber-gun with undisguised interest. "What was up with the splash-n-dash in the gardens? Butterfingers or somethin'?"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

As the group walks Nemo does his damnedest to dig into his memories of the Mage's Akademy. Not those dreadful lectures or pointless seminars, but the after-parties. Now, what was it again? Half beastkin blood and half Cadoanian rum? Hm... His mind races; If this mission is truly as dangerous as he gets the feeling it is from the Kobold's nervousness, it might not be a bad idea to bring along a brew that packs a punch. No beastkin here, but maybe that raptor blood from the last mission would work...?

Nemo wants to use some amount of the common materials we have to make a consumable bomb. Something like this:

Ranged 10
Attack action
Damage: 3
Effect: The target is Dazed until the end of its next turn. All creatures adjacent to the target must make a saving throw. If they fail, they are Dazed until the end of their next turn.

Would that be acceptable for 2 common materials (pending party approval)?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere pulls out a map book as she walks along, finds the canyon, and makes a few marks on it. "Looks like a pretty good march out there," she says. She almost sounds excited about that.

"So, how far off the mark do you think that guy is about this?" She says to Bleu.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey cuts his one-sided discussion with Nemo on local echo-grass analogues short, and gives a small wave- "Ah, hello Mr. Radios." -and slows his walk a bit at the question. "Oh, butterfingers? No, it's uh- uh.. well, s-somewhat.. listen, Nemo can attest that I am usually possessed of a very steady hand you know, I am just not familiar with the style of weaponry I am using right now." He sighs. "Let me explain."

"I devised this weapon as a means of easily transporting alchemical mixtures to opponents at range. It used to be one had to rely on their throwing arm alone to do so really, as the mixtures responded, uh.. very poorly to conveyance via magical means, that and most other foot-portable weapons were woefully inaccurate with a vial strapped to a missile." He digs out one of the shells he uses, and pops a small vial out of a compartment. "But this loads easily, and the size of the shell insulates the payload from the explosive propellant. In any case, I am using it because the theoretical effect of a theoretical soldier using this weapon loaded with theoretical alchemical ammunition is a paradigm shift in infantry power, but I worry that the inherent.. uh.. risk, may outweigh the advantages. Thus, as a proper Scholar and Academic-" You swear you can hear the capitalization "-it is my duty to put my theories to the test and refine them before I introduce them to the world at large."

"Nevertheless, I will endeavour to ensure that my tests are minimally dangerous to everyone else, even if this requires the occasional 'cheating' via magic. Besides, I minored in White Magic at the academy, and curatives have always been my area of specialty; in case of accident, you will be in good hands."

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Where Radios is pretty sure most people would've tuned Gilfrey out before the kobold(?) was even halfway finished, mostly because drat was that a lot of words, the eccentric inventor actually found himself pretty drat content with a conversation for once. Sure, there was a bit more moral quandary content in Gilfrey's words than he'd ever personally care about, but that was probably the difference between the two of them and what they felt strongly about. More to the point, though, here was another inventor who didn't seem to think he was some nutcase sticking his nose where it didn't belong!

"I reckon I see where you're comin' from." Radios reaches back and rifles through his satchel, digging until he pulls out what looks like a folded up bundle of sticks. He whips it forward, revealing the bundle to actually snap and form the long, slightly curved stick that Radios'd used to hunt in the garden, with a slingshot-esque wrap between the wishbone formation at the top. "I set about with the Slingstaff here so it wasn't just lobbing sticky bombs and salting gas with my bare hands, but for anyone without the strength and eye for trajectories, I suppose a machine to do the hard part for 'em would pay off..."

"Still, I reckon people whine Something Awful whenever you'd have to work that White Magic stuff." Radios shares in his guildmaster's particular emphasis for a particular subject as his friendly smile twists into a grimace for a second. "drat, ungrateful bastards. It's not the machine's fault they're using it wrong! Right?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will looks at Rein quizzically for a moment.

Then he bursts out laughing. "Of course! That's such a good idea! Why didn't I think of that!"

He slaps Rein on the back as well. "You are a smart fellow! I think we're going to go far together!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will trundles along the ground, tuning out the incredibly boring talk of inventions. "I dunno," he says to Gwen, preempting Bleu, "I'd bet there's probably.... 2, maybe 3 raptors in a canyon that size. Usually they show up in breeding pairs or more when they're trying to nest in canyons."

He shrugs. "Just means more loot, right?"

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Ah, how interesting-" He claps his hands together in excitement. Gilfrey always loves seeing something new at work. "I was rather engrossed with my own efforts in the fight, so I didn't see your.. device in action! You know, I had considered the value of telescopic parts in my own weapon, as the large tube can be very unwieldy, but I am not as much the inventor as I am scientist and scholar. If you ever have any ideas for improvements I am, heh, all ears my friend!"

Gilfrey tilts his head. "Well, no, most people do not complain when I am treating them. Perhaps it is out of courtesy, or perhaps they do not wish to distract the person treating their wounds. In any case, I feel that a properly designed device should be hard to use improperly; it is why I appreciate the humble potion. Uncork, and pour it out somewhere. On a wound, in your mouth, on an object- what could be more elegant in an invention than simplicity of use?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Byers Canyon

Byers Canyon is a lonely hike a couple of days from town. It's definitely off the beaten path. Once you're on top of the mesa and Blue Valley recedes into the earth behind you, the only sounds to keep you company are your own chatter and the quiet whirring of Guillaume's autocycle. Once, in what might be the most exciting thing to occur on your journey out, you spot a dust cloud from a crawler train just over the horizon to the north.

The canyon itself appears abruptly before you.

What began as a little divot in the earth got scraped out and washed away by spring flooding and the steady trickle of the river that lies in the center of the canyon. If you can call it a river; it's mostly a stream with delusions of grandeur.

The easiest thing to do is to simply follow the canyon's lip until you reach Rein's claim. No sense clamoring down and going the twisty, dusty way when you'd probably just have to climb right back over some of those switchbacks. So starting the third morning of your trip, you do just that.

It takes you until just after lunch before you find the claim site. It's a wide spot in the canyon, where the walls become sheer. Fortunately, being the savvy hunters you are, you brought your climbing gear for this expedition. Even more fortunately, you won't be forced to ask Radios to come up with a mechanized climbing contraption on the spot.

Stone pillars dot the canyon floor, and scree deposits have piled up in drifts about half the height of a human. Chirping and squawking noises greet you as you survey the surroundings - sure enough, there are more raptors in there. There's the little guys, microraptors, playing and flailing around as usual. A pair of larger raptors, with droopy frills and languid attitude, can also be seen strolling along the canyon floor. Definitely a nest - perhaps even some egg clutches hidden in the lee of the rock pillars. Those could either make a fantastic breakfast or a really gross surprise, depending on how recently they were laid.

Still, this should be the place. Time to get to work.

There is a new map up in the game. Check your page dropdown for Byers Canyon. If it isn't there, if you don't have full control over your token, or something else has gone horribly horribly wrong, please let me know.

Go ahead and roll initiative and position yourselves along the canyon lip as you see fit. I'd also like those with monster-relevant knowledge and skills to roll a check for me. Don't start a fight just yet, though.

Map key -

Pale pink around the canyon edges is the lip of the canyon. You'll need to take a full move to climb up and down it.
Orange-brown is the canyon floor. That's the majority of the map. No special terrain modifiers.
Light orange is the rock pillars. Impassable terrain, unless you spend two consecutive turns climbing up the pillars. This is probably not worth it.
Yellow flecking is piles of loose rocks. Difficult terrain, and you can use this as partial cover.
Blue is the river. Difficult terrain.
The dark zone to the upper right of the map is a sudden drop down. Don't fall off! It'll hurt and take you a turn of moving to get from the edge of one zone to another.

Aaaand I just realized I should have checked before using limited color gradation - is anyone colorblind?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nemo looks down the canyon's edge when it occurs to him that he forgot to tell his companions about his crippling fear of heights. It's going to take the poor creature a few seconds to work up the courage (or in his case, bravado) to climb down, but that gives him time to survey the battlefield.

"I was under the i-impression that this was supposed to be a challenging hunt, but all I see are mothers and their children playing idly at the park!" He does his best to sound cocksure, but the slight hesitation in his voice probably shows his true colors. "A-anyroad, let's get this over with. Uhm, age before beauty, of course." He gestures wide, letting his companions take the lead.

Nemo rolled a 1 for initiative and will be taking his sweet time acting this combat.

Also I am not colorblind.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Is that it? Finally!? Oh thank goodness, we've been walking for days!" With their destination finally in sight, Gilfrey empties his canteen, peels off his hat, and wipes the sweat from his brow. "Okay-" He hits the safety on his weapon, and levels it down the ridge "-let's get this job done, nice and clean. Don't do anything silly."

Rolled a 3 on Initiative. Again a friendly reminder that if you make a bad roll and have a burning desire to reroll it, I can use a my role action to let you do so. Just let me know.

Also not colourblind

brennon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 21, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Thankfully, Bleu and Keu have a tiger to ride on, which Tura takes with a stoic sort of irritation. He's used to carrying all the supplies, but that doesn't make it pleasant. And well, the fact he puts up at all has a lot to do with centuries of carefully bred trail tigers. She draws one of her swords, twirling it once. "Careful. Mothers in their den are dangerous...", she says, having some hesitation herself. "... well, more dangerous than your usual sort of raptor, anyway!"

Initiative is a 1. What if we leap off the edge of the canyon? What if we leap off the edge riding atop a tiger? Would that be faster? Not that I ask for any particular reason.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere spares Gilfrey a pitiless glance. "It was only a three day march, and not even a forced one." She doesn't look too hard done by the trek either. In fact, she spent a good chunk of it whistling or singing. It put truth to the saying that it's easier to keep Kemrian soldiers from breathing than it is to stop them singing while on the march.

Now though Gwenivere keeps nearly silent as she moves to the edge of the canyon to study the raptors below, her carbine at the ready. "Should try and take down the nearer big one fast, even the odds. I'll get it's attention."

Rolled a 6 for initiative.
No colorblindness here.

Also wondering about jumping/sliding down.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 21, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Yeah, seriously." Will preps the motorcycle. "I've been out 3 weeks avoiding worms before. If that makes you sweat, you won't last out here."

Will ignores the fact that he spent most of the distance here riding ahead or behind, doing aimless loops in the wilds to avoid ditching everyone.

"I'll take the close one and cripple it so we can finish it quickly."

Rolled a 1.

Would like to know the opinion on... ramping.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios doesn't exactly join in with the picking on Gilfrey's obvious civvie status, but he's not eager to comment in either direction about the hike. He hadn't slacked off from his training, even while hiding out in Blue Valley, but from Gilfrey's reaction, maybe that was the proper way for an untrained person to feel about a three day hike? In any way, at least Gwenivere had kept up the tunes enough for the both of them. It would've been a hard three days resisting such fun on his own!

"Mm, we were told there was a real big Lizzie out here, weren't we?" Radios peers ahead using a small spyscope that clips onto his slingstaff, eyeing the various Jaggis, micro and macros. "Considerin' Ol' Rein was making such a big deal about a big Lizzie, so don't suppose it'd just be one of 'em macros, do y'all?" He glances back at Will's cycle, already hearing its engine as though the kobold was racing down the dirt. "...Figure it'd hear us soon as you take off, regardless of how fast we take 'em out?"

Initiative 6, no colorblindness

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Wow, that's a hell of a spread. First dibs on Gilfrey's reroll to whoever claims it.

As far as getting down Fast - call it a skill check if you can finagle it. Just don't whiff your dice.

I suppose combat's starting, if nobody is gonna go for the knowledge roll. Initiative order, Radios and Gwen are up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Radios, pin it down and I'll tear it apart!" Gwenivere slings her weapon and grabs the edge of canyon before swinging out over the edge, holding onto the lip with both hands. Then she drops down to the canyon floor, rolling to bleed off her momentum. Rising to a crouch, the takes her carbine in both hands again.

Gwenivere studies the situation, then takes off at a sprint, heading for the nearest pillar. She flattens herself up against it on the far side, bringing her weapon to bear. As soon as she has the raptor in her sights, she opens up, getting hits immediately. She keeps firing, the cracks of the rounds breaking the stillness of the scene.

Rolled a 5 on Area Denial. Blitzer makes that a 6. I deal 6 damage to it, and if it doesn't move out of the 3x3 square I drew, it takes 3 more. Radios, if you can lock it down, that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

"Understood." It's easy to fall back into old habits, especially when he gets to mix his old passions with his new. Radios unfolds his slingstaff and loads a sticky bomb in its sling, whipping the staff in a circle overhead a few times before letting the bomb loose in an overhead arc towards the nearby Jaggi's head. It connects with a sound like an overripe melon landing on a helmet, but by that time, Radios is already rolling down to the next level.

"Looks like the Lizzie's got egg on its face." Radios reports with a grin, pleased as all get-out to see his inventions working as intended. He knew there wasn't anything to Gilfrey's words about 'simplicity of use,' despite his guildmaster's oddly sensible logic. It was all about the handling, no doubt about it!

Mechanics
  • Attack Action: Sticky Bombs (1d6=4) the nearby Big Jaggi / Raptor 1. 2 Damage and Saving Throw vs Prone for Raptor 1.
  • Move Action: S -> S -> S
  • Role Action: None

• Locked thread