Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Combat

Bleu and Tura take stock of the mediraptor before them, then, with a thought shared across two bodies, dart forward and swipe at their foe. There is a deep pause as the earth takes a moment to breathe, both master and pet held in their attack stance.

The mediraptor isn't impressed, but this samurai scene is enough to drop the miniraptor behind the pair from the sheer cool of it all.

Will doesn't need genre references to be cool, because he rides a motorcycle. He bull rushes the giant lizard again, ramming it off balance. The big monster stumbles backward. It's surrounded now. That could be bad. For it, not you. Probably good for you.

Angered by this continuous mechanical onslaught from the angry kobold(s?) around it, the raptor is apparently overcome with with rage issues and it gnashes its teeth impotently above Nemo's head.

Miniraptor C dies.

Will rams the Megaraptor, deals 2 damage to its right leg, and shoves it north.

Stop slowing and weakinging my monsters, god dammit! :argh:

By the by, the Megaraptor is down many HP. Do you guys want me to keep this mystery HP bar thing for the full Monhun experience, or just have it tick down normally?

Megaraptor goes. Megaraptor tries to bite Nemo, misses.

Gwen and Radios are up, followed by another Megaraptor turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The megaraptor sprays foam and saliva all over Nemo's perfectly groomed fur, but our hero is unfazed. "Haha! Again! Again! Quickly now, our foe seems at the end of its mental rope, strike the decisive blow!"

I say finish the encounter as-is but use visible HP for the next one, then we can see which we liked more.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Still annoyed with the malfunctioning carbine, Gwenivyn pulls out her machine pistol, flipping its carry case around and snapping it into the back of the grip. She peers over the edge of the pillar, then shoulders the weapon and fires down at the two raptors. She walks her bursts back and forth over them. That should give them something to worry about, especially with her comrades closing in on them from all sides.

Attack Action: Area Denial, firing at the megaraptor but putting the 3x3 area as shown to include the raptor. Rolled a 2, used both of my Miss Tokens to bump it to a 4. Deals 3 damage to megaraptor. Anything that ends its turn in that zone takes 3 damage.

Just gonna stick to where I'm at for now.

I'd like to try visible HP, but a middle ground could be indicating a creature at 1/2HP or less, or go by 3rds.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rather than do the "nurr nurr monster is at ten percent health now it's limping" thing, I'm going to play up how wounded it is once it hits bloodied, if that pushes folks one way or the other.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

Rather than do the "nurr nurr monster is at ten percent health now it's limping" thing, I'm going to play up how wounded it is once it hits bloodied, if that pushes folks one way or the other.

I was going to suggest that, just a vague indication that it's now 'hurt', especially since some mechanics may key off the bloodied state. It both signals progress and keeps the precise amount unclear.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Paging my man Radios

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.

"drat, just look at those flanks!" Radios' glee is showing, but he's too excited about the thought of megaraptor steaks to care. "We'll be eating better than stew for we-mghoiven!"

For a few, brief moments, Radios takes the time to appreciate the vivid colours that paint the skyline. Really, the subtle mix of blues and reds between thick, grey clouds hinting of storms in the humid air is sublime. Maybe he should take some time in the future to metaphorically take off his sunblocker-specs and just enjoy nature every so often.

He hits the ground and rolls in a heap of dirtied, rock-covered limbs and squishy flesh a moment later, and instead opts to appreciate his thought in having his sunblocker-specs wrap around his head instead of serving as natural glasses!

Instead of getting up like a good soldier, Radios continues to lie on the ground and let the soothing sensation of rocks digging into his back and dirt filling his mouth ease his pain. It works terribly, but serves to pass the time until the thumps of megaraptor feet and giant cat paws threaten his sense of not being squished enough to motivate him back up. Using said giant cat as a brace, Radios pulls himself to his feet, then looks at the slingstaff still in his free hand.

Huh, held onto it. He digs into his pants pocket and pulls out another sticky bomb. Neat.

Not quite willing to use bravado and big-man words to taunt the giant raptor that just bitch-tailed him across the canyon grounds, Radios grabs the sticky bomb with both hands and starts stretching it out until it's loose and floppy. The floppy white disc soon soars through the air, then explodes into a bunch of sticky, white marbles that coat the faces and legs of both the megaraptor and the mediraptor.

Mechanics
  • Move Action: None
  • Attack Action: Sticky Bomb (turned into a burst 1 marked on map thanks to role), w/ a 3 on Megaraptor (choosing effect instead of damage) and a 1! on Mediraptor, but BEGGING for Gilfrey's fix for it to be a 5 instead.
  • Role Action: None

Sorry; been dealing wih some really lovely human beings who serve as my management. Sorry for the wait!

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 13, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The reroll was used by Will the turn prior, though admittedly that's hard to notice. From now on I suggest people bold and make a big deal about using the reroll.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat

Gwen lays down another withering curtain of fire, pocking the the Megaraptor's thick hide with machine pistol rounds. It doesn't kill it, but it does leak a bit, and it definitely pisses the monster off. Hmm, perhaps laying down suppressive fire above friendlies' heads is unsafe?

Eh, screw it.

Radios, likewise, has a total disregard for the safety of anyone, let alone his allies, and flings yet more explosives around. One can only hope he and his inventory are never subjected to an unplanned fire.

Meanwhile, the bombardment is less than effective. One bomb is a dud, bouncing off the mediraptor's snout in an amusing fashion, which draws confused blinks from its intended victim, while the other puffs weakly along the megaraptor's flanks.

At least nobody got hurt who wasn't supposed to!

These annoyances compound upon each other, and the Megaraptor decides to address its grievances in a systematic and thorough fashion. Starting with the little hairy squealy thing with the sharp stick. The giant slavering maw once again descends on Nemo, determined to make the otherworldly kobold(?) have an unpleasant day. It's to Nemo's disadvantage that he's portable, and the big lizard decides to take him for a walk as it clamors over its friend to seek shelter further away from the crush of hunters. The little hunter dangles from the monster's mouth by one foot - that hurts, dammit!

Sorry for the lack of updates, life kind of happened all at once. Please accept my apologies.

Megaraptor eats 3 damage from Gwen's attack, starts in a zone.

I'm going to switch Radios' attack to deal damage instead of the effect on the Megaraptor, because it's a champ and doesn't fail saving throws until it's bloodied, which it is not. It'd be a wasted action otherwise.

Megaraptor is not having any of this and bites Nemo, Grabbing him. Deals 3 damage to the moogle, and Abductor triggers; Megaraptor moves over the mediraptor dragging Nemo with it.

Nemo is up, then Megaraptor again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

As Nemo is carted across the battlefield, again draped in monster slobber, he can't help but ponder his life choices for a few brief moments. He quickly snaps back to reality though as his transport comes to a screeching halt. "Aha, tired already? And here I thought you a worthy adversary! Now, suffer!"

Nemo begins a rather fevered, unpracticed assault against the lizard's snout. Kicking and flailing, he manages to poke it in the nostril and kick it in the eye enough times to - somehow - deal some significant damage. Perhaps function over form has its place after all, though don't expect him to ever admit that. The megaraptor seems pissed about being disrespected so thoroughly and, if not just for a few moments, seems to focus all its enmity on the swordsman.

"Quickly, before this creature can summon more of its brood, we must topple it!"

combat
  • No Action - Nemo Rallies, healing 4 HP (now at max health) and regaining his Sucker Punch encounter power.
  • Free Action - He uses Sucker Punch, rolling a 3 and dealing 2 damage.
  • Attack Action - He then performs a Basic Melee Attack, again rolling a 3 and dealing 2 damage.
  • Move Action - Trap on the Megaraptor.
  • Role Action - Marking the Megaraptor again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat

The Megaraptor stares down its snout at the angry stabby little thing in its jaws. Blood trickles out of one scaly nostril. If one can anthropomorphize a giant hell-beast, it could be said to look affronted.

Apparently, it's had enough of that. The raptor breathes deep, nearly sucking Nemo's hat off his head while he's still between the thing's teeth, and bites down. That hurts like hell! And to add insult to injury, this thing's nosebleed is staining the kobold(?)'s good tunic!

Megaraptor rallies, regains 4 HP. Uses Crunch, deals 3 damage outright to Nemo, no roll.

Gilfrey is up. What's the word, brennon?

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"H-hey! Let him go, he's not food! He's a friend! Well- I mean, to us- not- never mind, just-" Gilfrey makes a dash eastward, propping his gun up on a rough outcropping and firing a shell right towards the Megaraptor's head. It rebounds off the lizard's skull with a meaty thud, and air bursts into a carpet of fire. Gilfrey whispers a small 'Yes' to himself alongside the explosion.

"There. You keep this up and I'll put the next one in.. in your eye! That's right!"

I first do a full move eastward, moving next to the difficult terrain and taking partial cover against anything attacking from the other side of it.

Next, I fire an attack at the Megaraptor, rolling 4. I create a zone that will last a single turn, and deal 2 damage to the Megaraptor.

Without a 5 or 6 I don't recharge anything, and I'm out of available role actions and have no AP, so that's my turn.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat
Strikes: 2 you, 3 them

The Megaraptor is having none of Gilfrey's reasoning, so it's time to resort to the ultimate argument of kings. The magitech shell scatters debris in the raptor's eyes, causing it to grind its teeth in frustration and pain. Which is less than optimal for poor Nemo.

The mediraptor Tura keeps trying to nosh on launches itself forward. The creatures aren't bright, but they're perceptive enough to notice when someone's calling the shots, figuratively and literally. It collides with Bleu, much like its counterpart hit Gwen earlier, and launches the beastmaster into Gilfrey as the little fellow bends to grab another shell from his pack. The two bounce comparatively gently off each other, and Bleu is able to scramble back to Tura's flank, but now there's a potentially live explosive in play all of a sudden. Hooray! Everybody wins!

Especially Will. The kobold biker has the two little raptors scuttle up to him, attempting to flank him, but they manage to trip up on each other's tails and bounce off his front fender with a surprisingly musical noise.

Raptor 2 attempts to use Living Missile, rolls a 1. Oops.
Miniraptors A and B scamper up to Will.
Miniraptor A and B both roll a 1. WTF.
Bleu and Will are up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bleu HP: 4 | Tura HP: 8

As she stumbles, Bleu calls out, "His back is turned! Pounce!" And with the raptor distracted, Tura's eyes glint, not being the roaring sort, before he springs into the air, bringing all his bulk and claws down on the thing - and not just to hurt it. No, the tiger's trying to stay on top, go for the bite, for the neck... to try and finish this!

Bleu will use the encounter ability Boosted Buddy, which Tura will land with a 5 for 3 damage, and inflict a Grab with 2 ongoing damage if he isn't thrown off. As the target of role effects this action, Tura will regain 1 hit point to no effect.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

K, 24 hours.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will deftly defies both miniraptor's feeble attempts to keep him in place. They're just not worth his time! The big guy is still biting back, no time for little idiots!

Too far in the back, in fact. The drat thing has lept the river and barring any more convenient rocks that means no no for the bike. Will snarls in frustration.

At least there's the Medium rear end in a top hat still available. Deprived of his real prey, Will angrily slaps one of the miniraptors upside the head with a prybar. Repeatedly. He then throws the bloody prybar at the Medium Jackass, starling and distracting it more than hurting it.

Not moving to avoid exposing Gwen to miniraptor pursuit. MBAing and killing one of the miniraptors- doesn't matter which. Weakening the medium raptor.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sorry this wasn't up earlier. I've been trying to get a lost cat back to its owner since last night. Please put a collar on your pets if you let them outside, folks.

Combat

Tura bites the mediraptor's tail, holding it in place and gnashing his teeth. Lotta biting going on today.

Someone who is not biting people is Will! Instead he is stabbing them. Technically an improvement. One of the mediraptors goes down under the biker's onslaught. The death of its little friend and the giant cat trying to eat it demoralizes the mediraptor tangling with the kobold's compatriots.

The megaraptor decides it's done with Nemo, apparently. It takes one last bite, then hucks him right off the ledge into the bottom of the canyon. The teeth hurt more than the fall, or his pride.

Tura bites Mediraptor, damage is ongoing on the raptor's turn.
Will kills Miniraptor A, weakens Raptor 2.

Megaraptor moves east, deals 3 damage to Nemo, and drops him off. Nemo is out of LoS to his teammates and has to spend a move action just to get back to the top of the canyon.

Gwen and Radios are up.

Again, I apologize for the late post.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere judges the distance to the big raptor from her perch, and realizes its a bit too far to hit. On the other hand, there is one much closer. Maybe she can shoot a path open for her companions to help Nemo.

Hooking her SMG to her webbing belt, she un-slings her carbine again and takes aim. "Better work this time, you bastard," she mutters to it, then squeezes the trigger.

Shooting at the nearby mediraptor. Rolled a 6, so dealing 6 damage (doubled from 2 from crit, +2 more from striker damage boost). Zone from Area Denial is up again as well.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios whistles in a mix of appreciation and trepidation for the unruly majesty of the wildlife as Nemo is sent careening over a ledge and out of sight. This is, of course, from his relatively much safer position behind the giant fuzzy cat that his guildmate apparently is partners of some sort with. No need to attract any giganto-jaggi attention with whistling, after all.

"Stay safe, little fuzzball." Radios sends his luck and wish across the canyon, then turns his attention back to things he can actually deal with. "Alright, materials! Time to stop resisting and accept your fate!"

Another green-tinted arrow enters the sky and bursts just as it is about to descend. The majority of the green shards crash into the wounds of the larger raptor contending with the giant cat, but a few veer off course and manage to riddle a nuisance near Will's motorcycle right in the face.

Mechanics
  • Move Action: S -> S
  • Attack Action: Venom Shot primarily to Mediraptor for 2 damage + 1 Ongoing Damage (save ends) + -1 to Resistance, if any. Because I rolled a 4 and didn't turn Range (10) to a Burst 1, also dealing 2 Damage to the Miniraptor needling Will. (Please check to make sure I didn't misunderstand this, thanks!).
  • Role Action: None

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat

Gwen's rifle shot and Radios' horrible burning magic arrows strike the bigger (but not biggest) raptor at the same time. The results are gruesome, to put it mildly - you won't be harvesting anything off that beast from the neck up.

The little raptor pestering Will is turned to see this grisly fate, and dies from fright on the spot.

You monsters.

The Megaraptor, having disposed of its hairy mouth-cargo, decides to bolt. It starts south, hooting mournfully as it beats its taloned feet. Two more little raptors answer the call. More pests to deal with!

Gwen and Radios overkill Raptor 2, Radios' splash from Multitarget kills the last miniraptor.

Megaraptor moves straight south, summons two more Minis, which appear to the west of the map. It is not actually going to escape, but it is maneuvering in an attempt to get to cover.

Nemo is up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

As he plummets off the canyon's lip Nemo's companions can hear a variety of words which only Gilfrey would understand, though the uncharacteristically crass inflection makes the meaning fairly transparent.

Still, despite being treated as an used-up chew toy, Nemo manages to keep his wits about him and grabs a clump of roots sticking from the rock wall, abruptly stopping his descent before becoming a fuzzy smear on the ground below. He quickly scurries back up the cliff, fire in his eyes, and seeks out his scaly rival.

"You--!" He locks eyes with the giant creature. "Such devious tricks, and now you try to flee? You dishonor yourself and your clan!" Nemo bolts at the megaraptor, longsword trailing behind him - He may not look it, but the little guy has a talent for combat and has been able to divine the monster's attack and movement patterns enough to where, even in his slobbery, dusty state, Nemo can still weave between its lashing tail and kicking feet to get a few cuts in. He leaps into the air, driving his blade across the monster's flank in a single, beautiful upward slash, landing safely a few feet back.

"Now, allow me to end this charade."

Combat
  • Move Action - Scale the cliff.
  • Attack Action - Charge the Megaraptor (with Advantage from Trap last turn). Rolled a 1 and a 3, taking the 3 and dealing 2 damage and healing 1 hp. (hp total: 7)
  • Role Action - Mark the Megaraptor.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat

Nemo climbs up a cliff, carrying a grudge with him. There's some violence involved.

The megaraptor flinches far harder than you might expect from a knife wound. It reels back and limps away from Nemo, dragging its tail in the dirt... before it reels around on the little fighter, teeth bared and eyes flaring.

All the damage must be catching up with the armored lizard. Its teeth crash into the dirt of the canyon floor, but Nemo is snagged on its way back up - he's caught by the collar on the thing's nose. Curse his sartorial extravagance!

Megaraptor is suspiciously hamming up how hurt it is. If you didn't read the post.

Raptor attacks Nemo, rolls a 3. Grabs Nemo, no damage.

Gilfrey is up.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey lets out a rather high pitched gasp as his friend is hurled over the ledge, but enjoys a hearty sigh of relief when his diminutive and furious friend reappears. "Oh dear, thank goodness you're okay! Falls like that can kill people you know!"

He makes a quick dash to open ground, stopping short of the water to take a knee. "Alright, I warned you! Next one's going for your eye!" True to Gilfrey's word, the next shell does indeed impact the Raptor in the eye, dousing its head and neck in clinging fire.

"Haha, magnificent! Now, Nemo! Press the advantage!" Gilfrey lets his launcher fall onto his back, snaps open his book, and makes a quick gesture towards Nemo. For just a moment, Nemo feels very fast.

Gilfrey moves southeast two squares, and then fires at the Megaraptor, rolling a 6.
This deals 4 damage and creates a cross-shaped burning zone that lasts for one turn.
The 6 recharges Tactics, which I then use on Nemo to grant him a free Move Action.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo will use his granted Move to use Trap on the mega raptor.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

:objection:

Combat

The whoomp of Gilfrey's cannon and the screech of the shell's travel attract the megaraptor's attention. Just in time for it to swing to face the noise. With Nemo still stuck on its snout. Right in the path of the shell.

That's gonna hurt, and hurt some feelings.

Megaraptor uses Interrupt! Uses Human Shield - Nemo takes the damage instead of the raptor, although presumably the zone still applies.

Bleu and Will are up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Seeing the cannon's tragic impact across the river, Bleu looks over, pointing. "Nemo needs our help-", she starts, and manages to grab ahold of Tura's gear as he takes off, pounding through the water. Bleu hangs on, cartoonishly almost trailing after before swinging off on the shallows of the stream. Thankfully, Tura's a tiger and not a cat, and though he doesn't love water, it's hardly fearsome for him They swing over to the opposite shore, looking over as Bleu calls out, "Get- off- him!", flinging a knife at the feet of the terrible lizard.

Doing a double move and then marking the Megaraptor. Best plan ever!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Well, someone's going to have to save the little bugger. And from the look of things, it ain't gonna be his bud.

The bike chugs as it barely fords the river- much more depth and it'd be flooded. But make it it does, and Will pauses fractionally to shake the water out of his fur before he tests the pedal for slickness, decides it'll do, and slams his foot down.

A glob of aquatic vegetable flips up and slaps the biker in the mouth, rendering his words incomprehensible, but it doesn't really matter- the effect is what matters, as he charges directly into the raptor's tail and shoots it right in the cloaker.

Or whatever that thing is called. Will vaguely remembers a lecture.

That has to hurt.

Move across the river, Rush into the megraptor's buttocks. Not going to push, but did get a crit, dealing 4 damage, slowing it, and weakening it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rules query: does a subsequent Mark override previous Marks, or are they able to be active at the same time?

Combat

As Bleu and Tura lope towards the megaraptor, Will uses the power of modern technology to slap himself in the face with river grass, and also to grievously injure the beast by ramming into it. That's a sturdy bike.

The little raptors, called by their much larger cousin, act with ferocity heretofore uncharacteristic of their kind. One bowls into Radios from behind, jabbing him in the kidney with its ridged head. It hurts quite a bit! Meanwhile, there's a soft popping noise from behind Gwen - the other little raptor jumped straight up the rock column! It's shocking enough that it gets in a bite on her, although she won't be sitting gingerly for the next couple of days like Radios will.

Across the field, the Megaraptor lumbers forward, dazed and confused, kind of gnashing and biting all around itself in general. Nemo gets clipped, but he's endured worse today.

Raptor takes damage, is weakened and slowed.

Miniraptor E uses Striking Strike on Radios, Crits. Radios suffers 3 damage.

Miniraptor F uses Mobile Strike to get to Gwen. Deals 1 point of Schwartzenegger damage.

Megaraptor attacks Nemo, eating a point of damage. Deals 1 damage to Nemo. Moves 2 squares north. Nemo is down to 2 HP.

Gwen and Radios are up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Seeing the megaraptor concentrating on Nemo, Gwen realizes she needs to get closer to the fight. She twists a toggle near the muzzle of her gun, pulls a canister shaped object out of her bag, attached to a spool of rope, and quickly twists it onto the end of the rifle. Gwen turns and fires it into the top of the spire next to her. The canister comes apart as a spike launches from it and buries itself into the rock, trailing a line.

Grabbing the line, she swings over the edge of the spire and rappels down as quick as she dares. When she hits the canyon floor, she takes off towards the megaraptor at a run, switching the toggle back on her rifle as she does. As soon as she's in range, she shoulders the weapon and opens fire at the raptor.

Move Action: Rolled a 3 with Soldiering to try and get down the pillar quickly. The description I used is just for fluff.
Attack Action: Blitzer. Moved closer (E-NE-NE-NE-E-E), ranged basic attack. Rolled a 6. Dealt 6 damage.
Have 4 movement in reserve I can use later with Sprinter.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

"Biiiiiiiiiiitch!" Radios hisses, falling down on the ground and rolling in pain after somehow living through a jaggi trying to make love to his kidney with its upper head. It's like spilling a mixture of somonion juice and venomidrer acid in his eyes and then staring into the sun, only in his back and under his skin because loving little jaggi poo poo with a head like a loving rock!

Facedown in the dust, Radios contemplates just laying there and pretending he's been killed by the jaggi. It's not a great way to go, but it would hopefully give him enough time to get past the ungodly pain of thousands of needles laced with meteor peppers gouging into his kidney for just a little bit!

After a moment, he opts for a compromise that hopefully doesn't earn the ire of his guildies. A green arrowhead is crunched in his fist—it's much easier when he's envisioning the arrowhead as the jaggi's head—and then thrown into the air. It bursts within seconds, sending a scattering of green, poisoned shards into every horrible beast around him. At the same time, Radios more or less digs himself into the soil, reaching a softer, slightly damper ground beneath and turns to place his injured back in it.

Within seconds, Radios is moaning in slow-but-amazing-relief. The rest of the fight can wait. It's not like he ever said he was a front-liner, anyway!

Mechanics
  • Move Action: None
  • Attack Action: Venom Shot to hit both Mini Raptors, with a 3 (damage) and a 4.
  • Role Action: Turning his own location into Low Cover

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat

Cool soldiers don't look at explosions, as Gwen rappels down the rock face as Radios' poison grenade goes off behind her. The little raptors hiss and screech as the poison fragments lacerate them, and the megaraptor snarls as Gwen's rifle shots impact its hide.

Logically, the most sensible thing for a giant monster to do when shot in the rear end is bite the small angry thing in front of it, and it does. Fortunately for Nemo, the wounded beast is on its last legs, and the bite is barely worth noting.

Gwen's and Radios' turns happen as described.

Megaraptor takes chip damage from the zone. Megaraptor attacks Nemo, Nemo takes 1 damage.

Nemo is up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

After being battered, exploded, bitten, dropped, and thwapped, Nemo's once-pristine coat is looking a bit shaggy, to put it politely. And on top of that, his fighting spirit has began to wane a bit, with his usual bravado merely a raspy, adorable squawk. "On your last legs, I see. Well *cough* my worthy foe, let us end this properly."

Once more Nemo runs his sword across the chest of the Megaraptor, covering them both in blood as the raptor threatens wildly. Still, while somewhat invigorated by the blow, Nemo can't bring himself to unleash his usual verbal barrage to keep the creature focused on him. Instead he merely takes a moment to study the beast's flailing, hoping to glean enough information on its frenzied behavior to figure out how best to fell it.

"Gilfrey, take it out. For real this time, kupo!"

Combat
  • Move Action - Trap, gaining Advantage if the Megaraptor ends its next turn within 5 squares of Nemo.
  • Attack Action - Basic Melee, rolling 4. 2 damage and healing 1 from Defender Boost.
  • Role Action - None

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Combat

Nemo's wild thrashing bops the Megaraptor on its snout. That might be the secret, because the beast is dazed and can't manage to even get its teeth onto the morsel hanging directly in front of its mouth. It is, in its own way, kind of heart-wrenching. But you get over it when you remember the multi-ton lizard wants to turn you into hash.

Megaraptor tries to bite Nemo, rolls a 1. Horns.aiff.

Gilfrey, Bleu and Will are up. I will be shocked if you guys can't put this thing in the ground.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"That wasn't my f-fault!" Gilfrey angrily works the action on his launcher, trying to get it to eject the spent casing. How dare that stupid lizard make him look foolish- how dare it do so while also hurting his friend! It's all- That's just simply.. "..unconscionable! It is high time we put an end to this silly hunt!"

He puts the launcher down on the ground carefully, snapping open his book. "Let us dispense with the testing and get down to the brass tacks of combat!" Gilfrey folds down a page, and draws a glowing geometric diagram above his book with a quill. Little motes of fire flicker into being around the Megaraptor. "This is what I based the shells off of you know. Direct aether-combustion. Observe." With a gesture, it's as if a small bomb detonates right on the tip of the raptor's nose. It's a dazzling display, more than enough to give Nemo an opening if he so desired to take it. True to Gilfrey's word, it does seem remarkably like the shells too, just.. better. A lot better.

From my current position I fire at the Raptor, rolling another 6.
I deal 4 damage and create another fire zone. The six also recharges Tactics,
and for lack of a better target I just immediately grant it to Nemo once again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

In lieu of a full post, the megaraptor is not dead, but there's basically one more hit on it. Scramble for the kill, I guess?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will charges after the fleeing creature, and promptly hits a rock and catapults himself into the only bit of thorny vegetation in this barren land.

He emerges, snarling and cursing, in full knowledge that he'll miss out on the last of the fun!

I rolled a one. All you, ARB

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bleu and Tura come out of the water and charging after, as Bleu points at the tiger. "Get 'em, Keu!", she calls out, and the bird just goes prone on Tura's back, hiding under its straw hat. Bleu comes to a halt, trying to pull the hat back up. "Come on, you can be a hunter too!"

Nope. Rolled a 2.

Edit: may as well mark the megaraptor again, tho.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 23, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey clasps his hands on the side of his head as he watches his allies fumble around the raptor. He's got the world's biggest frown on.

"What are you doing!? Just- just push it over or something, please! Before Nemo gets torn to bits!"

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios stirs from his dirt nap and peers over the river's edge. The blurry sight of the giant Jaggi and what looks like a red and muted grey dishrag is still taking up space, far longer than he ever imagined it would.

Maybe he didn't sleep long enough? It felt like he was feeling less achy...

"Alright, Radios...Up and at'em." It's not easy getting back to his feet, but he somehow manages. "Oh, if we make it through this, I'm doing pushups again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Well, this took a silly turn.

Combat Never Ends

Maybe it's exhuastion, maybe it's delerium, maybe it's just a great deal of cussedness on the raptor's part, but battered and bleeding as it is, it still stands. Will botanical proclivities and Bleu's bird just aren't enough.

As what is likely its last defiant act, the raptor manages to flip Nemo up into the air, spinning him like a flapjack at the grill of a greasy diner, and puts the bite to him. It's enough to make the poor little guy black out. Surely, though, his doughty comrades will come to his rescue.

Right?

Raptor uses Crush, reducing Nemo to zero HP. Nemo is Incapacitated.

Radios and Gwen are up. You guys have to get through two HP without gaining another Strike. You can do it. Probably.

• Locked thread