Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

"Well, I do need space... I don't think Tura would want to be outside all day on rainy days. I mean, he's a member of the team, too.", Bleu says, even though restaurants like this still tragically deny him access. She wipes her hands with her napkin, her burger finished. "And if we're a good enough guild, people will come t'us wherever we are... is there any way we can get land? Renting's fine, but we'll want to build sooner or later, especially 'f you all are looking for a crawler."

She quiets, though, looking over to Gilfrey as they're interrupted. It's really no surprise for him to be lugging around something around like that. "Always prepared, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Poor House

The schaf reaches out for Gilfrey's medicine, only to have it cruelly drawn back from his hand. The little guy's face goes from beaming to sullen in the space of a heartbeat.

"Ah. I see. You are hunters, after all." He straightens his bow tie and smooths his tux shirt. "Well. Perhaps sir would be gracious enough to donate his pharmacology to the house this evening, in exchange for comped meals for sir and sir's companions."

There's nobody who can be politely rude quite like high end wait staff. Still, free meal for some nifty drugs? That sounds like a...wait, that's not an equal deal, Remedies cost a hell of a lot more than the whole table's tab. That's a crappy deal!

Does Gilfrey cough up the cough medicine, or does he push for another solution?

Meanwhile, final decision time. Buy out part of Riverside, or set up shop on the surface? First to reach three votes wins.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"If we have to chain ourselves down somewhere," growls Will, "Let's at least make it interesting and ours. No renting."

He gives the evil eye to the greedy waiter. "And definitely no freebies. GIl, if you save their asses on this one they owe us a much bigger favor than a free meal."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

"If we buy up these properties on Riverside we can move in right away, and still be able to reconfigure it as we want along the way. That's my vote."

"And Will's right, we should be get an equal exchange," she adds. Gwen would have been happy to let it slide as generosity, generate some good will. But the rudeness changed her mind.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

"I don't quite share your enmity toward renting, though I can't say ownership sounds too bad either, and the soil there would be adequate for any minor farming needs we may have," Nemo nods once, approvingly. "Then it's settled, Riverside it is."

While that issue may be decided, it seems as though his partner has gotten himself into an entirely new one. In a rough, whispered (yet strangely more cute than ever) tone, Nemo instructs, "Gilfrey, we need renown and reputation more than coin right now, give him the vial."

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.

"Yeah, yeah, free pots for free grub." Radios doesn't bother to lower his voice anywhere below his usual, boisterious, outside-voice level, even if a restaurant that has sober entertainment. He leers over the waiter at the current attraction and immediately understands why the house might want a well-tended act. Turning his eyes back to the schlaf, Radios leans forward—over the table—and points at the stubby waiter. "I"m with Gilfers, though. Why don't you point us alchemically-inclined helpful folk to your ailing act, mate? Can't be too safe when it comes to the staff safety, n'all."

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"I cannot.." Gilfrey frowns for a moment, looks at the remedy in his hand, and sighs. "..cannot in good conscience profit off of the ailing health of another. Perhaps we should look at your sickly friend to see if anything is truly wrong- these remedies are largely symptomatic treatments after all, the way they- well it's somewhat technical but they revert one's personal aetherial and alchemical balance towards a neutral state, and often this allows the body to, uh, n-naturally, uh.. w..well-" He withers slightly under the increasingly impatient gaze of the schaf waitstaff "-r-right, perhaps the explanations can wait."

He hops down from his seat, remedy in hands. "In any case, I will give you this for the very generous price of a free meal, and hopefully you will remember us if ever you encounter trouble again, yes? We are a new Monster Hunting Guild, and we will be setting up uh.. offices, sort of, near the edge of town very soon. We are... uh..." Gilfrey pauses and suddenly gets a sour expression. Right, right- the name thing. Did we ever even..? "..the, uh.. b.. wait-" He closes his eyes and rubs the bridge of his stubby snout with his equally stubby fingers "-u..uh, cl.. the uh- guild- Well, just ask for the guild led by Gilfrey. Later. I mean, after this- when we uh-"

He quickly motions towards the stage. "-let's just go find the sick guy, okay?"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

As Gilfrey and the staff trundle off elsewhere Nemo buries his face in his paws in a rarely-seen expression of embarrassment. After a moment he regains his composure. "Urgh, he's right, you know, we do need a title to display above our door. How else will potential clients know where to find us?"

He shoves another wad of rice and what is probably fish into his mouth. "Wfhf afbfout The Mispfthbreakfurs?" He swallows. "It has a nostalgic ring to it, don't you think?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Poor House

The waiter heaves a great, heavy sigh, like Gilfrey's just diagnosed him with a terminal disease. "I can assure you, sir, I am unlikely to forget this transaction for quite some time. Follow me, please."

Gilfrey, and whoever chooses to tag along to see the sights and glamor of backstage at a sensationalist cabaret, is brought back behind the curtain. It's...drab. Exposed brick walls, power lines stapled into the bare brick and left uncovered, unshaded bulbs hanging from wires high above, with dust and graffiti everywhere. You're fairly certain some of the propositions on the walls and profanity within them are not actual things.

Most of the people back here are human and kobold stage hands, dressed for manual labor. They all give you the hairy eyeball, but let you pass in the wake of the waiter.

Eventually your trip brings you to a door with two stars and half a coat of paint on it. Behind it are a human male and a schaf woman. He's leaning against the makeup table, smoking a cigarette, and he raises a well-manicured eyebrow as you enter. She's sprawled in one of the makeup chairs, and it takes a few seconds for you to register the fact she's not dead. You're pretty sure, at least.

The waiter is beyond the poor-put-upon-me routine at this point. Perversely, as deadpan as he is, he may be not actually be able to sound more apathetic if he tried. "May I present," he drones, "Arthur and Angeline, our headliners."

"I'm impressed, Hubert." The man speaks, and his baritone voice is almost as sultry as the brilliant sequined dress he's wearing. "You actually swallowed your ego long enough to find someone who knows what they're doing."

The waiter "hmms" in response. The woman is content in her unconscious state to make a horrible gurgling noise, very close to the sound of a clogged sewer, and drools a little on the collar of her suit, which is not quite as radiant as her partner's attire.

The human fellow gives you an appraising look, then takes another drag. "My esteemed colleague here can't lay off the bottle, among other examples of life's finer things. We're on stage in a little under ten minutes now, so if any of you have any brilliant ideas, we'd be ever so delighted to hear them."

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Yes, hello Arthur and Angeline. My name is Gilfrey- alchemist, scholar, and uh.. hunter, as of recently." Gilfrey sets his bag down with the chiming sound of glass, and cracks open his book. "Believe it or not, cures for the effects of.. over-consumption of certain beverages is a very commonly sought thing from alchemists, so I am unsurprised to find it requested once again even out here."

The first vial up on the hastily cleared counter is labeled 'cleaving agent', and is brilliantly clear. The next five that follow come in various colours- some filled with fluid, others with powder or dried herbs. "Alright- so usually these things take some time to brew, very much an overnight thing-" He snaps and sparks fly from his fingers, igniting a very small and somewhat cute burner. "-but, I can easily create an accelerant for the fire which should allow me to create a catalyst that bypass the long crystallization time for the cleaving agent at the cost of a fair amount of the bulk material. What's most interesting about this, really, is-" He continues on for a few minutes, vials clinking together and some ungodly mixture frothing away, but at the end he holds up a thin vial filled with a swirling blue mixture.

"Ah- here we are! This will neutralize the alcohol into what we commonly know as ether- the overdose effects of which the remedy I showed you earlier can easily counteract. Although I do not see much of it out here overdosing on ether was an extremely frequent problem from where I am from. Haha." His laugh dies pretty quickly. It's probably not that funny. Gilfrey clears his throat and holds both the bag and the vial out. "Okay, so administer the potion, wait about a minute, then follow with the remedy, and you'll feel good as new for several hours. More than enough to do what you need to do!"

Sorry for the late reply, wanted to give people a chance to tag along if they wanted. I rolled 3 in RD20 for my trained skill of Potion Brewing, which is success with a cost. I propose that the cost be disadvantage to making other potions until Gilfrey has a chance to reload and restock his supplies, since this one proved to be uncommonly tasking due to Gilfrey's own recklessness and the requirements to make a potion very quickly, although as always the final call is the GM's.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Backstage

Hubert the waiter takes the bag and vial like he's picking up a bomb. "Thank you for your efforts," he says, which may be the least sincere thing you've heard out of any living being. The human tips you all a respectful nod, then stubs out his cigarette with a grim expression. Perhaps this isn't the first time his costar has required emergency resuscitation.

You find your way back to your table, where a bill has appeared. It's signed right over the total part, which reads "Z0." Guess the staff made good.

To Arthur and Angeline's credit, they don't rest on their laurels as a drag act - they're actually pretty good! Arthur is a little wobbly on her feet, maybe, but she can belt like even a champion human singer. Angeline's no slouch either, and his performance of "Canary Princess" gets a few heartfelt sobs from the audience tonight. Even the backing band's pretty decent. A hunter could get to enjoy this dive, provided the money holds out...

Brennon: No worries. I was hoping we'd get a few untrained skill checks, but alas. Your cost sounds good to me, but for your attempts to hustle others along and because describing a burner as "cute" is killing me, take a free advantage on your next alchemy-related non-combat skill check.

Everybody else: Give us a quick run down of what you do to move into your new digs down by the river. As long or as brief as you like. After that, we'll move on to selecting your next job.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere moves quickly and decisively, securing control of the field and fortifying it rapidly. Her target: a pair of spacious rooms - not too big but not cramped either - with lots of natural light, a good breeze, and basically nothing else in them, a large but easily secured closet, and a small but comfortable bedroom. This leads her up a few floors, to dodge the expected workshops and garages of the others. Her materials are relatively easy to bring up and down stairs, after all.

Having staked her claim, Gwenivere brings in her gear. Most of it is stuff she's collected over time, or bought second hand, but there are few new pieces. At first it looks like the expected - wrenches and gauges and the like. A drafting table. And then it turns into bolts of fabric, thread, a dressmakers dummy. Before long she has two very different small work spaces set up.

Once her space is squared away, she lends a hand to anyone else who needs it. And makes a few proposals. "We should set aside a few rooms for group purposes. A dining hall, a meeting room, maybe a trophy room."

Sorry, got both busy and sick last week, and it seemed like Gilfrey had it handled.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will swiftly claims the largest garage, into which he immediately moves his bikes.

Yes, bikes.

"Look," he says when someone asks, "Did you think I just had one I kept going all the time? That's just plain stupid. You got one you're riding, one you're repairing, and a third for when one of the first two just up and dies. Then you part that sucker out and get another."

An adjoining wall is occupied with carefully arranged shelves of parts and various smelly, oily liquids.

The space is surprisingly ordered and carefully maximized. Will has a simple motto for home life: You don't do your maintenance right, and you die. So do it right.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Taking up the shack facing the river, Bleu sets it up with a hammock. Despite all of her talk of soft beds, actually putting one in isn't quite practical while she's sharing a space with the largest shedding source in the city. Expanding it slightly with awnings over Keu's nest, a ladder is affixed as she starts on the basics of a second floor to follow. Other than that, fishing equipment follows, as well as making sure there's a decent firepit prepared for everyone.

It's almost like backyard camping, but she's obviously working on turning shack into cottage. Eventually.

"Good idea!.", she offers to Gwenivere. "Should make sure we have shacks for drying and tanning, an' set aside a garden plot, too. Other stuff, I'm sure. Maybe a dock? Nothin' too fancy, just enough to row off of."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nemo's new room is a bit overwhelming. He's not used to having so much space to himself and has basically nothing aside from his armor, weapon, and futon to decorate the space with. "Hm, well now..."

Seeing his team put their own personal touches the small swordsman sets out to find something to make his space a home. The first stop: The shed. Digging through and stumbling over piles of dried soil, farming equipment, old tarps, and several unidentifiable objects which offended senses both olfactory and tactile, Nemo manages to find exactly what he was looking for; A humble ceramic pot.

Next he takes a trip down to the shore, bumping into some of his neighbors along the way. As they ask him about his work and his hobbies, Nemo politely "hm"s and nods along, scouting the shore for... yes! The perfect soil! With the practice and focus of a seasoned samurai, Nemo scoops up handful after handful of the damp dirt, placing it firmly in the pot. As he walks off to his destination he offers his certainly-offended onlookers another firm nod.

Finally he stops by the quarters of his traveling companion, Gilfrey... Or he would, but after knocking several times on his door Gilfrey appears to be indisposed. Oh well, there's at least one other would-be alchemist to visit, he thinks as he makes his way to Radio's room. After barely tapping on the door Nemo is immediately swept up into a typhoon of sales pitches and pseudo-scientific jargon for a good half hour before eventually stumbling back out the door with his ultimate goal - A single solblossom.

Back in his room and thoroughly exhausted, Nemo places his prize just off center against the far wall and tucks himself into his futon. Tomorrow, we'll find you a brother.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

There's a lot of rattling and clanking as Gilfrey moves his things into one of the small rooms near the back of the building- you know, the one suspiciously close to the kitchen, and adjacent to the basement that has now been carefully labeled LABORATORY - Please be careful. Thanks! Once he's got everything in there, he's absent from the house for awhile- that is until he comes back with a small cart full of the most aggressively modest furniture you've ever seen. Plain, square tables and chairs, a podium, a small bulletin board, a few trophy mounts, a used weapon rack, complete with notches commemorating someone else's long forgotten hunts- it's all there, and it looks like it probably cost a few coins at most to boot. "Humble furniture," he would explain to anyone that asks "for humble beginnings! We'll get cushions and all that soon enough."

There's a long list of things to do; stock the kitchen, get a garden running (although he will need the help of the more physically inclined members of the party.. his is the constitution of an Academic, after all), ensure proper security systems are in place, probably stock the kitchen some more... but for now, Gilfrey is content to just sit down in the main hall and work on some good old fashioned bookkeeping!

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

It's with a sense of satisfaction tinged with curiosity that Radios sees Little Fluf—Nemo, rather—off, solblossom plant in his furry, little hands. While he's not sure what the boastful fuzzball wants it for, there's little reason for Radios to hold onto it with the plans he has in mind, so the little kobold(?) might as well take it.

As soon as the door closes and Radios can't hear the pitter-patter of Nemo's padded feet anymore, the strange inventor turns back to his work in progress. The torn-up planks of wood that were once his floor and the gaping hole in their place had thankfully hidden well enough under a stray sheet, apparently, as Nemo either hadn't seen or hadn't cared about it enough to call him out. Tossing the sheet off to sit on the rest of his supplies and kicking a few boards out of his way, Radios hops back down in his self-made hole and picks up his shovel again.

Once he's got his new basement more or less structurally secure and ready for some of his more light-sensitive experiments, he'll repair the floor.

Probably.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Riverside

As you settle in to your new digs, you get to know your new surroundings and neighbors. Specifically, the mine next door, and the kobold family on the other side of your complex, the Lamarches. You're not quite sure which is noisier - the mine makes a hell of a sound around shift change, between the steam whistles and the occasional explosion coming in through the walls, but the Lamarches are kobolds. They tend to settle things with arguments or long, drawn-out debates, and their kids are mostly left unattended, as is the traditional kobold parenting technique of learning by doing. Still, both Mrs. Lamarches and one of the Mr. Lamarches stop by with a crew-sized vat of bouillabaisse and a bottle of brandy, and while the local ingredients mean it barely tastes like the real thing from home, everybody who isn't Will is fully capable of enjoying the housewarming gifts.

Those of you socially-inclined notice the adult Lamarches tend to avoid Will, although the kids are just as fascinated by whatever he does as they are towards anyone else, or particularly shiny bits of rock, or chunks of broken glass, or exposed electrodes, or dead birds, or all the other delights of childhood.

Reconnaissance into town and the local loitering spots turns up some job listings. Even if no one from the bank's come back to reclaim Rein's paycheck, you're not quite famous enough to have people coming to your door with job offers. Yet.

As always, there's a request out for gathering medicinal herbs from the local countryside. A couple different alchemists and medical practices have put out variants of the same job posting, so you'd be free to take your pick of employers, and it'd be a quick job. Maybe not glamorous, and the pay would be mediocre, but you'd be able to take care of the whole thing in a day, without more travel than strictly required.

One of the researchers out on East Bank is looking for a team of explorers to head due south for a period of no less than two weeks. You'd be out of commission for a month, but the apparently trusting scientist is offering you a per diem. That'd work out to a pretty decent chunk of change, but it's a heavy investment of time and you're not entirely sure what you'd run into out in the wild for that long.

Finally, the Atelier Zerstrutheit is looking for feathers from croakanoles in quantity. If you wanted to make friends with an uptown clothier by cutting parts off comparatively helpless animals for money and the sake of fashion, that'd be the job to take.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

"Mail call!"

Radios swaggers into the main entryway of the newly-procured joint, looking as if he wasn't trussed up like a roast sans apple in a garish display of ribbons and lace. The look on his half-painted face is exuberant, while the only things not fitting in with his apparent new fascination with becoming a clown are his usual boots on his feet and the twin pages of leaflet crumpled in his fist.

"Well, not really mail, seeing as I don't think anybody even knows we live here sides the new neighbors." Radios admits to the first housemate he passes by, depositing the sheets of paper into their hands. "But check it! ~job offers~."

"We got one from those alchemists wanting us to fetch 'em some grass, and then we got somethin' from some hoity-toity tailor-folk from uptown looking for some down! And ~finally~, we got another long-term investment. Exploration of some sort."

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 28, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere looks over the jobs on offer, and the one from Atelier Zerstrutheit immediately draws her attention. "This one looks best to me - more pay and more challenge than the herb gathering, and it won't take up nearly as much time as this exploration job."

"Hm... I wonder if we could do some herb gathering while we look for croakanoles?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Aw, where's your sense of adventure?", Bleu says to Gwenivere, holding up the exploration job. "All we've been doing is hunting! This'd help let people know we're more than just a bunch of arrow-heads!" She puts her wrists against her hips. "And it'd help us build a rep for reliability, and... well, who knows what we'd find out there! Right?" She looks to Gilfrey, as if expecting him to back her up for some reason.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey snaps out of his daydream about the herb (with a soft h) gathering with a jolt. "Oh- Well.. I-I mean.. that is correct, in some senses- but there are advantages to be found in, uh, also making, uh-" He quickly sneaks a peek at the other bills "-okay, yes, I agree in the sense that the exploratory assignment would be better for us in comparison to another routine hunt, but I also do also think making connections with the city's alchemists would be advantageous too. I would gladly be party to either job, really- I think it is good to a reputation for our cunning, intelligence, and resourcefulness- not just our martial skill."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Alchemists are boring," opines Will. "Exploring is fun."

He shrugs. "Also, my bike tend to scare off croakanoles and I have no idea what any plant I can't eat looks like."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere frowns. "I guess I'm not against exploring...." Visions of feathers dance behind her eyes. "I wanted some of those feathers for myself though."

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Boring!? Well excuse me, Will- not all of us can be captivated by a motorized bicycle- and, and- just- say that again when your life is saved by a potion. Hmph." Gilfrey folds his arms. "Maybe the exploration would be good for some.. team building."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apologies for disappearing, I was moving out of state. I'm settled in now!

"The last thing we should be doing is some camping trip when we're trying to make a name for ourselves." Nemo scowls (internally, of course), and then sighs (externally, of course). "But it is as Gilfrey says - perhaps some time together without driving steel through scales could do us some good." He doesn't mention it, but Nemo is also pretty thrilled for the opportunity to actually see the land itself. Getting a feel for the surrounding area could give them some much-needed intel to enjoy in the future.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Looks like exploration takes it.

Setting Out

Setting out on a journey takes preparation. Here, you'll need to be prepared for nearly a month round trip. That's a lotta work.

The Lamarches agree to watch your new property for you, water the plants, and so forth, so that's taken care of. Presumably the kids won't burn down the block by the time you get back.

Getting your contract set up is pretty easy - Doctor Gazle heard about this lunatic kobold from down by the riverside who had his big score come in with the help of a bunch of hunters, and that's apparently enough to put you on the map. Your per diem will cover your expenses at home and out on the trail, if you live off the land a little, if you're keen to make some money on this trip. Paperwork all signed and set, plus a little extra on top for your supply run.

Speaking of, you need some orienteering gear, local cartographic info, camping gear for six plus animals, food and fodder, plus anything else you want to have for the duration.

Who gets what?

Here's a setup. Every successful skill check here, in whatever field you like, can be turned into an advantage for your trip. You'll need to tie in how flower arranging is going to help you on a long hike, though.

Successes with bonuses can be used to help the next person down the line. Costs will do something, once I figure out something interesting to do with them.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Once the group settles on the exploration mission, Gwenivere reaches out to some former comrades from the army to see if anyone has a line on surplus equipment. The tents, sleeping bags, and tools the armies had provided hadn't exactly been of the highest quality, but they'd been rugged and easy to maintain. Plus, a lot of them had been made but not distributed before the war ended, and were just sitting around in warehouses gathering dust these days.

While waiting to hear back on that, she turns her attention to area of particular talent - clothing. If they're going to be out there for a month, they need to be ready for everything the climate wants to throw at them. Gwenivere gets measurements for everyone, hits up the local stores, and puts together a selection of outfits that will ward off the weather, from rain to sun to hail to wind.

Rolled a 2 (Twist) with Old War Buddies to try and get surplus camping gear on the cheap.
Rolled a 4 (Success) on Fashion Designer to put together good heavy weather gear/traveling clothes for everyone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nemo understands that some resources are best procured from less than savory merchants. With this in mind he recalls some tasty tips that his loudmouth neighbors "offered" during one of their many squabbles about a vendor who meets at a nearby corner and who specializes in "perishable goods". While Nemo isn't exactly sure why the couple kept throwing up air quotes every time they said that phrase, he knew he might be able to get something out of this individual using some of his older methods.

The next night, Nemo dons a familiar old cloak and hat - they look mundane, but something about them just feels... otherworldly. Otherworldly, and dangerous. He slips out unseen, masked by the night and his own shadowy, fairly rusty magicks. Eventually he arrives at the destination and, sure enough, a Schafe in a bizarrely-ragged trenchcoat is standing just outside of the streetlamp's glow. Hunched over and alternating between counting his cash and his wares inside his coat, Nemo manages to float up behind the man and, with the added length of his cowl, cast a rather menacing shadow over him.

"Do not turn around if you know what's good for you." The Schafe doesn't, though you can tell he really wants to. "I know what you sell, and I need it. You will deliver it to me, unless the thought of being skewered upon the ancient Blade of the Kumo (means Cloud) and then immolated by a blast of sorcerous flame from the Archmagus' Defender sounds like a good time to you. If I do not find what I want on my doorstep in the morning, demon children will spin stories of how hot you burned." Before the merchant can say anything Nemo is gone as silently and swiftly as he arrived... though he was courteous enough to leave a rather well-penned address on the ground.

Sure enough, a plain-looking box is waiting on Nemo's stoop the next morning. Inside appears to be... uh... some rather strange-smelling foodstuffs. Packages of pungent salted meats and other aromatic goodies stacked messily, almost as if it was trying to mask something scent. Below that are some veggies, though just mushrooms and greens, it seems. Well, whatever, he can spin a salad out of it.

Rolling Chuuni Intimidation: 6 - Success with a Bonus! Nemo managed to get some food for the trip, as well as a little something extra. Who knows, those strange items, whatever they are, might come in handy on the road.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As a Wildbreaker, Bleu is no stranger to distant journeys. Taking up the maps, she plots the proper route - away from migration routes of megaturtles, through the shallows of rivers and, yes, actually taking paved roads now and then. Taking the comments of those worried about the time taken, she aims for a few more… creative routes. Dangerous, maybe, but probably not as dangerous as letting their beastman get bored.

Thankfully, she brought her own pack animal (and one of no apparent use whatsoever), and Tura is a good one for carrying the heavy load of camping gear. Bleu also volunteers to carry the maps, naturally, given she’s probably the only one who might understand all the scribbles she’s put on them. “What, it isn’t a map until you've broken it in!”

Rolling Navigation and coming up with a 5. Which is a success!

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

It takes a few hours and requires the early consumption of the delightful lunch he packed for himself, but Gilfrey makes it to a particularly verdant patch of land south of the city. It turns out to be a lovely day for the careful art of the herablist, and he manages to nearly fill out out his list of 'common herbal precursors'; these kind of plants can, or easily reduce to a potion that can, treat a wide variety of common ailments. While they aren't about to cure a chest wound or venomous snake bite, they can treat things like nausea, food poisoning, blisters, heat stroke; most minor travel or exposure related illnesses really. He arrives back at the guild hall in the evening a bit sweaty but no worse for wear.

The first things he does when he arrives (other than steal a cookie from a plate in the main hall and say hi to everyone) is take off his traveling hat, put on his maroon Alchemist's hat, and sequester himself in the laboratory. He tinkers with the explosive gels he has been perfecting for his own launcher to create shaped charge flasks, ones that detonate only when delivered the correct chemical payload instead of just from kinetic shock. He holds one up to the lamp in the dimness of his laboratory, inspecting the swirls of orange and brown playing on the bottom surface of the glass.

"There! This," he says, turning to an imaginary audience. Gilfrey always dreamed of being a lecturer, you know. "-should be perfect for the controlled destruction of rocks, trees, or any other matter subject.. or.. s.. susceptible, yeah- susceptible to explosive force. Also safe to travel with, since they should only detonate when mixed with the catalyzing agent and left to sit. I suppose this leaves them unsuited for any direct weaponized application..."

He shrugs, and grabs a pair of rose coloured potions labeled with a duo of scribbled hearts on his way out of the lab. Leftovers from an unsuccessful experiment in trying to make a true love potion; he figures the Lamarches might still appreciate them. After all, he does feel like the Guild should say thanks to their surprisingly affable neighbours, especially considering what kind of rogues or scoundrels they could've encountered in this part of town!

Rolling Herbalism to collect the herbs needed to treat minor afflictions, rolling a 4 for a Success

Rolling Explosives to adapt common explosive potions to non-weaponized shaped charges, rolling a 5 for a Success

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Preparing is dull but needed. After making sure he has his basic long haul kit stowed in his bike, Will waffles a bit. Then takes the plunge.
Will tries to call on some old friends that are still talking to him.

Tries.

The staff of the Majestic Irrelephant are perfectly happy to finally pay up on the bet he made last he saw them, so that's good. Or so it seems, at least. The glares he completely fails to catch as he walks away speak to trouble looming, but Will loves trouble so he pays it no mind. Maybe they're still mad that he bet them something he never had in the first place- a bike he'd sold anyway. Sure, he won, but what if he hadn't?

But his old crew?

Well. Maybe it's the way he sorta used their entire supply of fuel for pyrotechnics last time he was in town.

Maybe it's the way he was always late to work- had to take the long way to hit the fun ramp.

Maybe it's just the way he was never there for them if something exciting was happening.

Whatever it was, they feed him. For old time's sake. They have a laugh.

But they don't pay him the money they owe him.

Will tries to get some spare traveling cash, in case of trouble.

3, success with a cost on Crawler Connections
1, twist with a cost on Crew Connections.
Both taken with disadvantage to earn two Broken Tokens for Will's inability to take things cautiously.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Vel, you want a shot or should I move on?

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

It's a strange thing to have others capable (to a point) of getting things prepared so that he doesn't have to. It's especially strange, but not unpleasant, when the considerations of others are things he never would've even bothered with, like Gwen's really comfy new clothes. Prior to this, Radios'd only really owned his usual set of clothing along with a few lab necessities like gloves and the such. Having a new set was actually nice.

Nice enough that Radios opted to wear it to a few bars and spread the word of their guild's latest and possibly greatest—easy when this was the 2nd ever—adventure. Sadly, exactly how that went he doesn't remember all that well...

...In fact that last thing he remembers before waking up in front of his own room's door was stumbling after their employer.

Rolled a 3 {Success with a Cost} on "Boasting to a bunch of drunks of varying degrees" and a 2 {Twist} on "Stalking our employer to see if they kept anything from us.

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 4, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Setting Out

Gwen's shopping trip turns up some good clothing, even a couple of kids' rain slickers for Will and Nemo. It's not realistically possible to account for every kind of weather, but mail storms are pretty rare in this part of the world, and the normal levels of hot and cold are taken care of. Provisioning for the camp itself is less successful, however. The good surplus has been picked clean, either by hunters or obnoxious fashionistas. It's hard to find even a good entrenching tool, and those were barely worth carrying around to brain someone with. All that's left are the seconds and broken stuff.

Gwen can elect to have tents and gear for everyone, or pick the one item that isn't lovely.

Nemo has a better deal of success, although his goods are maybe three or four times removed ill-gotten. Two wrongs don't make a right, but maybe if you keep going it works out? Still, there's enough to be had that the little guy has trouble hauling it all inside after delivery.

You have food. Good food! Maybe food that is good for special things.

Bleu may have reduced your maps to illegible scribbles, but on the plus side, she's practically internalized the things. Which is good, because now they're not really usable pieces of cartography for anybody else.

And somebody who kinda knows the area.

Gilfrey gets to go gathering after all. It's pleasant, in its own way. It almost seems reasonable that people would want to spend their time out here, in idyllic weather and soaking up the sun. But by the end of his scrounging session, Gil is happy to be back inside where it's not sweaty and there are fewer nettles and biting insects, and substantially more in the way of intellectual achievements and comfortable places to sit. There will be plenty of time for nature soon, and not much at all for alchemy or explosives. Well, presumably. Who knows what Radios can do out in the countryside, away from civic ordinances and law enforcement.

Gilfrey has healing supplies and bombs. A good combination.

Humans describe coffee as bitter, but warming, and with something in it that makes you feel alert and happy, for just a little while. Will wouldn't know, because it tastes like battery acid to kobolds, but visiting his old crew seems pretty similar. There's tension behind everyone's smiles, and the jokes cut like broken glass.

He doesn't get his money. Hell with them, then, he's got a new crew.

I couldn't think of anything interesting to do with Costs. So for this time, they're gobbling successes.

It's a good thing Gwen bought rain-proof clothing for everyone. When Radios wakes up in the gutter, it's a simple matter to hose all the dirt and puke off of himself and then go about trying to piece things from last night together. It's a little difficult, since his thoughts keep swimming around in his head like something that swims a lot. Bolts? Bolts swim in oil. That makes sense.

The bolts of his thoughts drift around, and he's occasionally able to pick up some details. He accosts someone on the street to read a paper for him, and it sounds like the note in the police blotter about someone stumbling around uptown in a raincoat while it's not raining demanding to know where the science nerds are might involve something tangentally related to his quest. Whoever that guy was, he had the right idea, because it was harder than anything to track down information after the first couple of bottles. As the news-kobold scampers away to safety, Radios continues to lurch down the street, looking for a chemist's. He's got to buy something that he can smash together to get rid of a headache.

-

Time to head out! I want to try something and we'll see if it flops.

There are going to be a few parts to your journey. They're Navigating, Surviving, Moving, and Thriving.

Navigating is not getting lost while you're out.

Surviving is making sure you ration your food and water properly, hunting new sources, making sure your camp is secure, and so on.

Moving is keeping up your pace, moving around obstacles, etc.

Thriving is a bonus category. It's the part where you make an especially tasty meal on the campfire, or tell a great story, or things like that. It's the part of a hike people actually like, instead of the parts with blisters and tromping through the rain.

The parts of your trip will have outbound, turnaround, and inbound phases. They should be pretty self-explanatory.

Here's the rub: you can test each part only once. Success or failure there determines how your trip goes. Thriving successes can be spent on Advantages for your roll, or you can hoard them all for a bonus once you get back. You also get your initial pool of three advantages to start with, from your preparation.

Count already got you guys a Thriving success with his check for supplies. GG, Count.

We're in the outbound phase right now, and you need a Navigating, Surviving, and Moving check. Who wants to do which?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo is going to attempt to kill two birds with one stone, going for a Thriving success and using his Wayfarer kit feature "Itinerant Artist" to sing a song (for an AP).

Less than two days into their trip, spirits are already beginning to falter and tempers are starting to flare up. Gilfrey is doing his best to not sound like a bother and failing magnificently at it, Radios won't stop pointing out every single pebble or pine needle which ends up in his boot, Bleu and her troupe keep asking questions about Nemo's past which he is growing increasingly tired of answering, and Will and Gwen are... well, they're quiet, but it's a scary quiet this time.

Finally, Nemo stops the group dead in the middle of the road. "Enough! Our trip is to be long and arduous, but we must not dwell on that nagging feeling of endlessness," Having everyone's attention (and scaring away several treefulls of birds with his outburst), Nemo clears his throat and continues. "Instead, let us think of how far we've come. Let us keep our spirits up, ku--*cough*"

He takes a very deliberate step forward, then another, and then another, marching in time to an imaginary drum beat. And then, he begins to sing.

We started fresh, we started new,
We didn't know, what we'd get into.
The risk was great, the pay was not,
But hunt we did! Without a thought!

Noticing the sound of footsteps falling in behind him, he continues even louder;

Our first task was nothing grand;
We helped to clear a bougie's land!
Some beasts were felled and others fled,
So we took the raptor's head!

The others star to hum along, providing an impromptu backup group. They need practice.

Next up was a canyon crawl,
A behest by a kobold bald!
Scale met steel and sparks alike,
But Gwen ended with a decisive strike!

Our name is fresh, if even real,
Our fees are cheap, a bargain steal!
Look out world, we're here to hunt--

Before he can finish the final verse, he's interrupted by Gilfrey - "Isn't that a bit too blunt?"

The interruption stumbles everyone up, causing a domino-like escapade of people falling over one another and culminating with Nemo eating a face full of dirt. So much for that.

Rolling Singing (Unskilled) - 1 horns.aiff

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Going to go with enough lovely things for everyone. Maybe we can try and patch them up as we go.

Once they untangle themselves from the pile-up, Gwenivere retrieves the sun-hat she made for Nemo and plops it back on his head. She looks considering for a second, then says, "I kind of liked the tune. Maybe come back to it when we have a few more hunts behind us." Then she jogs off, having spotted some berry bushes alongside the road - good to eat themselves, and likely to attract small game.

This trip is turning out a lot nicer than Gwenivere expected. Of course, her first experiences of living out of doors for extended periods had involved muddy trenches, round-the-clock snipers, and alarm-clock regular heavy bombardment - and those had been the quiet days. Compared to that, her threadbare sleeping bag and dodgy tent were paradise.

In part to make up for the less-than-reliable gear and in part because she's actually enjoying herself, Gwenivere goes all out in keeping the group stocked with provisions and the camp well secure. Maybe even a little overboard. The roll of barbed wire she insists on stringing up each evening is a bit much, really. Plus, its a weird juxtaposition with how she regularly returns from her foraging trips with flowers woven into her hair.

Got myself a 6 on Foraging. (Rolled in Roll20)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"We've lost time," says Will a few days in. "Let's take a shortcut. Or something. Let me see what's ahead."

With those words, he zooms off into the wilderness, alone and unafraid, though frankly he probably should have been.

It's another day or so before he returns.

There are branches stuck in his fur, and a bloody scrape covering much of his right arm.

"I thought it was a bush, but it was a gully," is all he'll say in explanation.

Rolled Crazy Ideas to navigate, planning on disadvantaging it for another broken token, and got a 1 on roll one out of two. sorry lads and lasses.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Whereas Radios isn't the luckiest or the most skilled member of the guild, he proudly holds to the claim of the loudest.

It's that same loudness that he used to (kinda) bully his way into leading the guild after Will's impromptu scouting journey. Sure, it's been a few years since his last scouting missions from command, and yeah, it's been a pretty dry spell of just letting adventurers go out and do the dirty work for him, but Radios dismisses all of those concerns with a loud, bold claim and a boisterous attitude.

When Will makes it back, bike in questionable condition and self slightly worse, Radios happily drugs him with poultrices and vulneraries, eager to prove himself while he's still on a roll. What kind of roll it would turn out to be, however, was a little concerning, but Radios' ego had no time for that!

Mechanical
Rolled Boasting w/ a 4 in roll20, but in consideration, Boasting seems like a stretch for Moving, so I'm cool with it being an unskilled Success w/ Cost if that makes things more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, it may be a little tough as far as journeys go, but Bleu and Tura do their best to take up any extra slack ,whether that's lugging spare food gathered on the road or gathering extra herbs to treat injuries. And reading the map when people aren't charging off into the unknown. I'm talking about you, Will. Still, they're at least old hats at traveling, and seem pretty comfortable on the road. About the only issue is Tura's appetite, but Bleu at least has packed enough to keep him fed proper, presuming there are no disasters.

And what're the odds of that?

• Locked thread