Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The 1980s are the most important era in modern shonen. It's the beginning of every shonen cliche. The biggest shows in history began here. More importantly for us, if you live in the West, these shows are the reason why you like anime. 80s shonen broke down the doors for anime to gain a following in the West.

Despite all this, I've noticed that while everyone knows these shows off of reputation, not a lot of people have actually sat down and watched them. Sure, it's fun to make fun of Saint Seiya's popularity in Latin America, but have you actually watched it to see why it's so beloved? Everyone around here has a Lum avatar, but do you actually know what her voice sounds like?

That's why I've come up with this simulwatch. In the spirit of the forum, we'll do a three episode test of the biggest and brightest of 80s shonen. I'm skipping some episodes because these shows start a little slow, and I want to give you the best estimate of what the show is actually about. These shows run the gamut from available on every streaming site to never before released in English. I'll help you out with releases to the best of my ability, but :filez: is the name of the game here.

Do you speak Spanish, Portuguese or Italian? Grow up in Latin America? Many of these shows have old school dubs in these languages. It would be lovely if one of you brave folks took one for the team and watch the Spanish or Portuguese language dubs.

SCHEDULE

Week 1: Sweaty Men, Sweaty Punch
5/17 Hokuto no Ken (available on crunchyroll) 1,2,3
5/19 Sakigake! Otokojuko (availablehere) 1,3,4

Week 2: Tsukasa Hojo Week
5/24 City Hunter 1,4,5 (available here)
5/26 Cat's Eye 1,2,3 (available here

Week 3: Beloved, but not in the US
5/31 Captain Tsubasa 1,2,3 (here, here and here)
6/2 Saint Seiya 1,2,3

Week 4: #ShonenFeels
6/7 Kimagure Orange Road 1,2,3
6/9 Touch 1,2,3

Week 5: Lum Invasion
6/14 Urusei Yatsura Movie 1: Only You
6/16 Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer

Week 6: Movie Night
6/21 Space Adventure Cobra
6/23 High School! Kimengumi the Movie

Week 7: THE END???
6/28 Dragonball 1,2,3 (available on hulu)
6/30 ?????

You can watch these shows at any time those days, but I recommend you watch them collectively at 7 pm EDT, if you can. Quit using spoiler tags for things that happen in the episodes after 8:30, and be sensible around spoilers for things that will happen in these shows down the line. Remember, these shows are over 30 years old, some plot twists are common knowledge now.

It's the summer, get sweaty and watch some shows for MEN

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looking forward to it, though work will prevent me from liveposting.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Wow, the forums ate my post.

Looking forward to it. Won't be able to livepost, bit I'll enjoy checking these out alongside you guys.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hokuto no ken is also available on hulu

hope this helps

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

ill do it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
This sounds like fun.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is really cool!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Smoking Crow posted:

It's the summer, get sweaty and watch some shows for MEN

Tuesdays and Thursdays work great for me, I'll be watching!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A good idea for a simulwatch!

Of these, I think I've only seen the first ep of KGO, the first and maybe one other of Otokojuku, Beautiful Dreamer, and of course Dragonball. I'll probably follow along intermittently, though pretty much never on Tuesdays.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm excited, I think I'll be able to follow along with this one!!!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this is a very nice idea, but this

Smoking Crow posted:

Everyone around here has a Lum avatar, but do you actually know what her voice sounds like?

I find very offensive

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is gonna be good and I can't wait to effortpost on some of the things I like a lot.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

remind me when its time to watch the urusei yatsura movies

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It's always time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally, I might be able to get beyond episode 2 of Saint Seiya.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this sounds cool

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

The earliest captain tsubasa stuff i've found in english for the first series start at 30 something. I did see something earlier on some chinese language site but I downloaded the first few movies instead

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Zas posted:

this is a very nice idea, but this

I find very offensive

nobody here is brave enough to attach ~datcha to the end of their posts

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brp-JIwGciM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zpl4m_captain-tsubasa-episode-2-english-sub-waoanime-t_fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRQGL42JAoA

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 13, 2016

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ah thank you :waycool: i couldn't find it on streaming when i searched a couple years ago

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NEVER MIND WATCH THE 'TUBE

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Can we watch Lum the Forever so someone can finally explain that movie to me?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
This sounds great, I'll try to follow along assuming I don't have work.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Gonna try to watch these at the listed time but I'm tempted to skip ahead while I still have some free time.

Is the final entry a mystery video, or no idea yet?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gonna try to watch these at the listed time but I'm tempted to skip ahead while I still have some free time.

Is the final entry a mystery video, or no idea yet?

Mystery

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

space adventure cobra is one of my favorite things, and i don't remember where i first saw it, but its one of those special pieces of culture that embodies a genre.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nice idea, I'll try to catch some of the series I've never heard off. Thanks for pointing out FotNS is on Crunchyroll, maybe I can finally finish it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Good Op. Most of the stuff here is new to me so that's good. I've only seen a couple episodes of Cats Eye, fist of the north star and Urusei Yatsura.

Gonna watch Saint Seiya in Spanish though.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
sign me up because i love saint seiya and never watched fist of the north star or city hunter

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fist of the North Star

Kenshiro's had a bad couple of weeks. The atomic bomb went off, his girl's gone and now he's trapped in the desert. The last thing you'd want to do is make him angry...

Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) is the shonen show. Kenshiro's quest through the wasteland is the prototypical shonen quest, the quest to which all other quests are measured. Kenshiro's fantastical fighting style and his overall power can be seen in everyone from Goku to Gon. Hokuto no Ken the manga came out in 1983 and the anime is from 1984. We're watching two shows from before this time, and you will know them. They just feel weird compared to modern shonen.

Tonight, at 7, you are already dead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not big on live posting so I will say words either later tonight or tomorrow but I will say that it's pretty neat that the version on Crunchyroll translates the credits instead of the OP lyrics.

I suspect it's because Toei handled those subs and CR just used the existing subs because why spend money subbing something twice. But it's still a cool thing to do.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You should have already started...

Why haven't you?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first episode of Fist of the North Star is one of the strongest openings to a shonen anime, I feel.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also one thing I will always love about this show is the episode titles, they're all incredible

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am starting now. I've seen the first episode many, many times already so I'm going straight to episode 2.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I love the designs of the murderous goons in this show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I love the designs of the murderous goons in this show.

Same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I also love how creative Ken can get when he's murdering random nameless goons.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Anyone else love the op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

i can't believe i only use 30% of my power.

• Locked thread