Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Anyone else love the op?

It's a classic and if anyone doesn't like it they're already dead!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Smoking Crow posted:

Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) is the shonen show. Kenshiro's quest through the wasteland is the prototypical shonen quest, the quest to which all other quests are measured. Kenshiro's fantastical fighting style and his overall power can be seen in everyone from Goku to Gon. Hokuto no Ken the manga came out in 1983 and the anime is from 1984. We're watching two shows from before this time, and you will know them. They just feel weird compared to modern shonen.
I've read somewhere, though I can't recall the exact source, that Akira Toriyama originally envisioned Goku as "The Jackie Chan to Kenshiro's Bruce Lee."

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
It's interesting to see the power-aura thing even when watching a shounen from 1984. The Bruce Lee screams are as entertaining as from the real deal.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DraconicImpulse posted:

It's interesting to see the power-aura thing even when watching a shounen from 1984. The Bruce Lee screams are as entertaining as from the real deal.

This is where that started

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Smoking Crow posted:

This is where that started

That's even cooler. I didn't want to make any assumptions because, like with many things, I don't know much about shounen besides what the average, every-day dude on the street might.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26kWVTHLaB4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who wants a quicker taste of what FotNS eventually becomes should watch the 1986 movie which is a kind of summary of the first third or so of the series but with a bunch of stuff moved around and changed. It also has a hilariously bad dub if you're into that sort of thing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe you should have told people that the two times i streamed it, nerd

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought you only streamed the Star Wars prequels

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The movie is on Crunchyroll and it's a pro watch, highly recommend if you want more but don't wanna watch such a long series

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone who wants a quicker taste of what FotNS eventually becomes should watch the 1986 movie which is a kind of summary of the first third or so of the series but with a bunch of stuff moved around and changed. It also has a hilariously bad dub if you're into that sort of thing.

The dub isn't that bad. It's not really any worse than most dubs of the time and I'd argue it's the kind of bad that loops into good.

Also the dub is on youtube.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

FotNS is great

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZOEcfIrECY
Sakigake!! Otokojuko

Somewhere in Tokyo, there exists a school for young men who can't make it anywhere else. These men are too violent and unruly for any ordinary high school. Otokojuko is no ordinary high school.

Otokojuko is great fun, to a point. It starts off as a gag show, but slowly becomes something unrecognizable. Originally, it was a parody show satirizing classic delinquent manga. A headstrong young man with a good heart joins together with other hot-blooded young men to make a place for themselves in this cruel world. It does not turn out like that in the slightest.

I'm not going to spoil how it changes, but if you watch the episodes we are going to watch carefully, you will see how the show changes. A bit of reading between the lines is required, but I know that you will figure out what happens after this! Just remember, the two series most indebted to Otokojuko are Cromartie High School and Ouendan.

Tonight at 7, we become leaders of culture, business, politics and industry.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Smoking Crow posted:

5/19 Sakigake! Otokojuko (availablehere) 1,3,4

For some reason this automatically opens episode 34. Don't be an idiot like me and watch part of it thinking it was episode 1.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I always found it incredibly amusing that Cromartie was a parody of a parody.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Not having logged in for quite a while, it seems I turned up at the right time - I've circled around Otokojuku a few times in the past, but never actually taken the plunge, so I'll give it a go later on.

Fwiw, I enjoyed the first arc or so of FotNS, but I burned out on it long before the end. Got to about episode 50 or so (inc. the film) and got stuck, never felt the urge to go back to it. Doesn't help that I was inadvertently spoiled on the ending.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I'm going to post about FotNS now because delinquents are never on time

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Anyone else love the op?

YOU WA SHOCK

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff came up so I can't watch tonight, will watch tomorrow and post my thoughts then.

Until then, everyone please remember the immortal words of the principal of Otokojuku:

I AM THE PRINCIPAL OF OTOKOJUKU, EDAJIMA HEIHACHI!!!

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Not even 20 minutes in and we have :redass:

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Only had time for one episode of Otokojuku so far, but it is already the best thing.

I laughed particularly hard when they went into the town and I realised it wasn't actually set in the post-apocalyptic future.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I love Momo's facial expressions

And by that I mean his only one

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Did you figure it out? What turn does Otokojuko take after this?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Does it drop the gags? That's the feeling I'm getting from the episodes selected.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DraconicImpulse posted:

Does it drop the gags? That's the feeling I'm getting from the episodes selected.

You are correct! For bonus points, what is the main theme of the show going forward?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Smoking Crow posted:

You are correct! For bonus points, what is the main theme of the show going forward?

The conflict between choosing loyalty to your country or loyalty to your mentor.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Oh hell yeah, episode 4 is where manly engrish comes from!

It's not hiding the ultra nationalism though. Heihachi needs strong young men to purge western influence.

I'll probably watch this until the funny goes away.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

:hellyeah:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8d36wQy9w

City Hunter
Ryo Saeba is a sweeper, code name XYZ of the City Hunter agency. A sweeper is someone who makes problems go away, whether it's by assassination, detective work or threat of violence. And he's the best in the business.

City Hunter is my favorite 80s show and in the running for my favorite show of all time. It's a very beautiful show. The way it contrasts the neon 80s fashion and lights of Harajuku with the blackness of night is wonderful. You'll notice that quick--85% of City Hunter takes place at night. Ryo Saeba, the main character, does not act like your average shonen protagonist. He has more in common with Lupin than with Seiya or Goku. You'll see the Lupin influence almost immediately.

Tonight at 7, we'll get our mokkori* chance.

(*Translator's note: Mokkori is onomatopoeia for popping a boner)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm ready to get wild and tough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Will I be ready to get chance and luck? I'll know, tonight.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Just so you know, the guy voicing Ryo is the same guy who does Kenshiro

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Just so you know, the guy voicing Ryo is the same guy who does Kenshiro

Akira Kamiya is my favorite VA, he rules

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As Ryo he does an amazing job switching from a goofball to a serious man. He sounds noticeably different as each but I never have any doubt that they're both the same person.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One thing I will say though is that for my money's worth I prefer the variety found in Lupin. A little bit of City Hunter really goes a long way for me since most episodes follow a few certain patterns pretty closely. I definitely like it but it's the sort of thing I'll pop in when I'm in the mood for it. I think marathoning it can be a bit rough.

But to look at it from another perspective, if you enjoyed tonight's episodes then you will definitely enjoy the rest of the show!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am now starting City Hunter.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Saw the first ep of city hunter but it's not really grabbing me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For what it's worth the character dynamics do change a fair amount once Kaori is introduced. When I saw that that we weren't watching episodes 1-3 I immediately knew why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm watching City Hunter tonight instead of yesterday, because I'm a rebel like that. First episode down. It's a lot of fun so far. '80s sensibilities, an alternately ultra-manly and goofy protagonist, and a solid grasp of what's cool: babes, guns, and cars. I wonder if it's going to be mostly episodic, or introduce longer plotlines? I suspect the former, especially for what I'm watching tonight.

Onward, to episode 4 of lovely Hunter!

• Locked thread