Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Ah, and it's doing the old thing of alternating english and romaji subs for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
!!!

yuri!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kaori is fun. Fourth wasn't as good as the opening ep, but it was still fun and stylish.

Oof. There's a lot of episodes of this. Old anime is hard. I'm liking this, but unless the fifth episode really wows me, I suspect it'll end up towards the bottom of a long to-watch list.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
!!!

yaoi!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Dang. Makimura seemed cool. :rip:

Yeah, good show. If if was maybe a couple cours it'd find its way to the upper parts of the list, but as it is, it's a maybe. Glad I watched what I did, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I definitely want to watch some Cat's Eye, but that might also be delayed, perhaps until the weekend.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

(*Translator's note: Mokkori is onomatopoeia for popping a boner)

Things make more sense now.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
I forgot that City Hunter was one of the things in this thread. It's one of my favourite shows, but in case it makes any difference, I didn't think they really got into the established formula until about episode 6, although 4 is pretty close to it. Revisiting the first ones, they seem weird by comparison - I don't remember five very clearly, but I think 3 is about the only time in the entire franchise that Ryo wilfully kills someone. Six is also the one where Umibozu shows up, if memory serves.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5in0X-Ic_Rw

Cat's Eye

Every rich man fears them. A group of master thieves calling themselves Cat's Eye. Toshio Utsumi is tasked with taking them down, but is the threat closer to home than he ever imagined?

Cat's Eye is a sitcom set up. A master thief is dating the detective on her case. It goes beyond this, however, in the mind games aspect of the show. The thief knows that her fiance is looking for her, so she's able to plan ahead and gently caress with him. It's a bit empowering that way, the woman is fully in control of their relationship, and she can choose when and where he can best her, if he ever does. Unrelated, but this show has the best ED of any show ever, it's the vid above

Tonight at 7, we learn why it's important to be open and honest with your spouse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I underestimated the amount of packing I still had to do for my trip so I won't be able to catch tonight's eps live, but I'll have plenty of time to watch anime while out in the countryside tomorrow so I'll post my thoughts then

It's not as good as City Hunter in this gamer's opinion but it's certainly just as 80s :cheerdoge:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

magic play is dancing

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Seen a little of Cat's Eye before, but it was in French, so I only had a vague understanding of what was going on. Quite looking forward to seeing some more of it.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Srice posted:

As Ryo he does an amazing job switching from a goofball to a serious man. He sounds noticeably different as each but I never have any doubt that they're both the same person.

Yeah it was well done and the goofball detective protecting a hot babe gave me more Police Story than Lupin vibes. Pretty cool the voice actor played both that and anime Bruce Lee

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bummed that I missed this thread so far, but that's cool. I can't make time for Tuesday, but I'll be starting this Thursday with Los Caballeros del Zodiaco, the Latin American dub for Saint Seiya.

For a bit of background, my primary experience with spanish dubbed animes has been Dragon Ball (Z, GT) and Digimon. My older cousins were big into Saint Seiya, but because the episodes airing were in the middle of their big long shonen arcs I never understood what was going on.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for running this simulwatch, Crow. It's giving me a reason to watch all these shows that have been on my mind for awhile. I'm definitely going to watch the rest of Otokojuku after this.

I'm not sure how I feel about City Hunter. It's very stylish, I love the music and the visuals (for some reason the subway scene in episode 4 resonated with me visually, I think it was the tiles), and in general I really love a lot of 80's Japan at Night type stuff, but it's just not clicking with me for some reason. I think it's more enjoyable after Kaori is introduced, though, and I understand why you chose the episodes you did.

I'm going to watch Cat's Eye tonight. I've been hesitant to watch it before because it seems like a show that'd be entertaining to watch an episode every once in awhile, but not a show you'd binge watch all 70-odd episodes of, and I already have a lot of those shows on my plate already.

I'm really excited for Saint Seiya. It's one of my favorite shows ever and definitely my favorite shonen battle anime. I wish we could watch more than three episodes, because even with an incredible beginning it just gets stronger and crazier from there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think Cat's Eye is the more interesting of the two, at least from a direction standpoint. Lots of quick cuts and images while City Hunter is kind of...I don't want to stay standard, maybe action-movie? That said, there's pretty much no way I could watch all 70+ episodes of Cat's Eye if they're all like the episodes we sampled.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

Bummed that I missed this thread so far, but that's cool. I can't make time for Tuesday, but I'll be starting this Thursday with Los Caballeros del Zodiaco, the Latin American dub for Saint Seiya.

For a bit of background, my primary experience with spanish dubbed animes has been Dragon Ball (Z, GT) and Digimon. My older cousins were big into Saint Seiya, but because the episodes airing were in the middle of their big long shonen arcs I never understood what was going on.

I'm really glad we've got someone watching the Spanish dub.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Captain Tsubasa

In this world, there are people born to play a sport. People with all the natural talent to do whatever they want on the field. In basketball, it's Lebron. In football, it's Cam Newton. In soccer, it's Tsubasa.

Captain Tsubasa is one of those shows/manga that for whatever reason become stupidly popular in Japan and nowhere else. Captain Tsubasa is a cultural touchstone, and the defining sports show of the 80s. I'm going to level with you, I do not like this show. To me, it is bland as bland can be. This is a pre-HnK shonen show, and you will immediately see why. Tsubasa has more in common with Tatsunoko super heroes than with the more modern looking and sounding characters that follow in HnK's wake.

Tonight at 7, we'll sail the seven seas and try to make our son's JV soccer game.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry for getting on this so late, I intended to join the simul but things kept getting in the way. I only have Cat's Eye now until i've caught up, and i'll probably watch both that and Tsubasa tomorrow as it's getting a bit late. Also, it turns out FotNS isn't available in sweden on crunchy, so i skipped that one. With that said, here are a couple thoughts about what i've seen so far:

I didn't much care for Otokojuku tbh. It wasn't really my style of humor and that kind of hypermasculinity isn't really my thing even if it is a parody. City Hunter however was very cool. The action was good, the characters were fun and the aesthetics were nice. Once this simul is over I might get wild and tough again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The youtube links for Tsubasa are regionlocked, rip

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like Captain Tsubasa. Once again Latino anime fans prove their superior taste.

It has a lot of little goofy things about it, such as the samey character designs and the shaking pupils that are really endearing to me. I don't know if its fair to compare it to a Tatsunoko show; I think it comes more from the sports drama mold than from kids action shows. Even in the few episodes we watched it covers a lot of the themes and archetypes that recur in sports drama anime; income disparity, the international nature of sports, rivals with tragic backstories and friendly neighborhood kids. They aren't as overt or extreme as they are in a Ikki Kajiwara manga, and it's all in a package for elementary school students, but I think there's enough to it to make its popularity deserved. I just don't know if I'd watch all 100+ episodes of it over other sports anime, especially since the latest group to take it on has seemingly disappeared from the internet, 13 episodes from finishing the show entirely.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Tsubasa is one of the few things I haven't seen in this simul. I liked it enough. I'm not wild about it but I can tell it's the sort of show that became a big trend setter for the genre, so I can forgive it not feeling completely fresh.

I might hit up the manga sometime since apparently the first series is fully scanlated (tho the picture quality looked a bit rough). The pacing of those early episodes definitely made it obvious it was based on an ongoing work so I'm not sure if I could take over 100 episodes of it. I could see the movies being a fun watch sometime though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I am now caught up!

Cat's Eye was fun, but I saw it had 70+ episodes, and it seemed pretty formulaic so I doubt i'll continue it.

I didn't really like Captain Tsubasa, each episode felt longer than it was, and not in a good way. I don't really care about soccer though so that might have something to do with it.

Excited to finally be able to simulwatch for real and for tonight's Saint Seiya eps!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Saint Seiya

Many people want the cloth, mystical sets of armor created by Athena. Many would do anything for them. With a new tournament coming up for the Sagittarius Cloth, who will attain it? And just who is that purple haired woman anyway?

Saint Seiya has a different vibe from the rest of the shows we're going to watch. It's much more melodramatic than the rest of these shows. No other shonen show has the same serious, semi-mythical tone that Seiya has. That's the best word I can use to describe Seiya, mythical. Greek gods are everywhere in Seiya, and the show makes sure you understand their gravitas.

I mentioned that no shonen series has the same tone as Seiya. There is another series that comes close, and was directly inspired by it. Sailor Moon the manga is very similar to Seiya. The battles are structured in a similar fashion, and the sailor senshi even dress like female saints. Remember, this is Sailor Moon the manga, this show is more like Crystal than the old show.

Tonight at 7, we learn about the power of intercessory prayer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saint Seiya is on Hulu so I plan on using Rabbit to stream it at the simul time for anyone who wants to join in. Stay tuned for details!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

Saint Seiya is on Hulu so I plan on using Rabbit to stream it at the simul time for anyone who wants to join in. Stay tuned for details!

Well?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getting it set up and will post the link shortly :cheerdoge:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://lets.rabb.it/886j/pUYPGmVfTt

Here is, the link

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Took me a bit to find the Latino dub, since everything I looked through was the European Spanish dub. I'll try to put together a couple of webms after my watch.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya is one of my favorite anime ever. I'll watch tonight, but enjoy everyone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I started watching because a friend translated a part of the Italian dub. I'll post that translation later tonight.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This was fun. I've no particular desire to watch long-running shounen battle shows, even seminal ones, but I would have eaten this up if it aired here when I was a kid. Thanks for streaming it, Srice, I almost certainly wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This was pretty cool! I will admit i'm not a big fan of fight shonen in general, but I had fun with this. With that said though, much like cat's eye it feels like it's very formulaic and apparently it goes on for 100+ episodes so i'm not sure i wanna continue it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Droyer posted:

This was pretty cool! I will admit i'm not a big fan of fight shonen in general, but I had fun with this. With that said though, much like cat's eye it feels like it's very formulaic and apparently it goes on for 100+ episodes so i'm not sure i wanna continue it.

This show changes trust me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

It gets really, really good. I wish we could have watched more because it gets crazier and more intense as the show goes on.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Its length is intimidating but I really do want to sit through the show sometime, if only to see how faithful that one Saint Seiya episode of Gintama was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Its length is intimidating but I really do want to sit through the show sometime, if only to see how faithful that one Saint Seiya episode of Gintama was.

Hell, I think I'm gonna wind up watching more. I'm feel like right now I'm in the perfect mood to want to watch something like this.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This was fun. I've no particular desire to watch long-running shounen battle shows, even seminal ones, but I would have eaten this up if it aired here when I was a kid. Thanks for streaming it, Srice, I almost certainly wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

:toot:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUV1Ry9q7Q

I realized I've seen the 3rd episode at some point, but I never had context for it until now. I also know that the show really ramps up as it goes on, and I'll probably make it a project to run through the whole series. The copy I have has slightly delayed audio, but it's the best I could find without delving into the exceptionally shady Mexican torrent sites.

Anyway, here's some snippets of the dub that I liked:

Seiya equipping the Pegasus armor (cloth? I guess) for the first time
https://jii.moe/VyrKp3Kmb.webm

Seiya chatting with Miho
https://jii.moe/NkO9T0F7W.webm

Hyoga vs. Ichi
https://jii.moe/EJlopCYQW.webm

the 4th episode preview
https://jii.moe/V1zqpCFQ-.webm

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I encourage everyone to watch episodes 4 and 5 as well because they're a good example of how the show escalates very quickly.

Saint Seiya is one of those shows that appears to be long but goes by really quickly, it's very well directed and scripted and it handles multiple fights going on at the same time with mathematical precision. It's a masterclass effort on all levels, with excellent sound, music and visuals at every step. It also has the best filler arc in shonen battle anime, one that meets and at times exceeds the excitement and drama of the original show. The fact that the filler arc is now considered canon, and even had a new sequel anime should clue you in to how well received it was.

If I had any advice for any potential Saint Seiya watchers, it would be to take care watching the 2004 OVA that finishes off the series. While the production team does a good job translating the style and goofiness of the 80s show over to a 2004 show, I can't help but feel like it still lost something in the transition, which isn't helped when it becomes increasingly obvious that the original author was losing interest in the source material at the same time. It has a couple of standout moments that are among my favorites in the whole series, and my favorite villain of the whole show, but overall I would say stop with the 80s series unless you become a diehard fan like me.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Cat's Eye and Captain Tsubasa weren't really my thing, but Saint Seiya is. Probably won't watch all 100+ episodes but I'll get a few in.

• Locked thread