Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is gonna be good and I can't wait to effortpost on some of the things I like a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not big on live posting so I will say words either later tonight or tomorrow but I will say that it's pretty neat that the version on Crunchyroll translates the credits instead of the OP lyrics.

I suspect it's because Toei handled those subs and CR just used the existing subs because why spend money subbing something twice. But it's still a cool thing to do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first episode of Fist of the North Star is one of the strongest openings to a shonen anime, I feel.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also one thing I will always love about this show is the episode titles, they're all incredible

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I love the designs of the murderous goons in this show.

Same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I also love how creative Ken can get when he's murdering random nameless goons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Anyone else love the op?

It's a classic and if anyone doesn't like it they're already dead!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The movie is on Crunchyroll and it's a pro watch, highly recommend if you want more but don't wanna watch such a long series

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I always found it incredibly amusing that Cromartie was a parody of a parody.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff came up so I can't watch tonight, will watch tomorrow and post my thoughts then.

Until then, everyone please remember the immortal words of the principal of Otokojuku:

I AM THE PRINCIPAL OF OTOKOJUKU, EDAJIMA HEIHACHI!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm ready to get wild and tough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Will I be ready to get chance and luck? I'll know, tonight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Just so you know, the guy voicing Ryo is the same guy who does Kenshiro

Akira Kamiya is my favorite VA, he rules

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As Ryo he does an amazing job switching from a goofball to a serious man. He sounds noticeably different as each but I never have any doubt that they're both the same person.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One thing I will say though is that for my money's worth I prefer the variety found in Lupin. A little bit of City Hunter really goes a long way for me since most episodes follow a few certain patterns pretty closely. I definitely like it but it's the sort of thing I'll pop in when I'm in the mood for it. I think marathoning it can be a bit rough.

But to look at it from another perspective, if you enjoyed tonight's episodes then you will definitely enjoy the rest of the show!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For what it's worth the character dynamics do change a fair amount once Kaori is introduced. When I saw that that we weren't watching episodes 1-3 I immediately knew why.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I underestimated the amount of packing I still had to do for my trip so I won't be able to catch tonight's eps live, but I'll have plenty of time to watch anime while out in the countryside tomorrow so I'll post my thoughts then

It's not as good as City Hunter in this gamer's opinion but it's certainly just as 80s :cheerdoge:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The youtube links for Tsubasa are regionlocked, rip

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Tsubasa is one of the few things I haven't seen in this simul. I liked it enough. I'm not wild about it but I can tell it's the sort of show that became a big trend setter for the genre, so I can forgive it not feeling completely fresh.

I might hit up the manga sometime since apparently the first series is fully scanlated (tho the picture quality looked a bit rough). The pacing of those early episodes definitely made it obvious it was based on an ongoing work so I'm not sure if I could take over 100 episodes of it. I could see the movies being a fun watch sometime though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saint Seiya is on Hulu so I plan on using Rabbit to stream it at the simul time for anyone who wants to join in. Stay tuned for details!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getting it set up and will post the link shortly :cheerdoge:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://lets.rabb.it/886j/pUYPGmVfTt

Here is, the link

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Its length is intimidating but I really do want to sit through the show sometime, if only to see how faithful that one Saint Seiya episode of Gintama was.

Hell, I think I'm gonna wind up watching more. I'm feel like right now I'm in the perfect mood to want to watch something like this.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This was fun. I've no particular desire to watch long-running shounen battle shows, even seminal ones, but I would have eaten this up if it aired here when I was a kid. Thanks for streaming it, Srice, I almost certainly wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

:toot:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tentatively planning on using a synchtube for Kimagure Orange Road tonight at the simul time. Will post a link when it's close to the time!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://io.synchtu.be:8443/r/Srice

Here's the room, and KoR will be queued up shortly!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pro as hell clicks right below

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...d-op-1_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...d-op-2_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...d-op-3_creation

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only way I won't be streaming Touch tomorrow is by an act of god.

Even if you're turned off by sports I implore yall to at least give the first episode a shot. There's like less than a minute of baseball stuff in it and heck in general those early episodes focus more on the characters than the sport.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I'll write about this tomorrow

Cool. I like those little writeups you've been doing for each session by the way!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://io.synchtu.be:8443/r/Srice

At the top of the hour I'll start streaming Touch!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poo poo! Looks like I'm going to be ~10 minutes late!

It doesn't look like attendance will be wild or anything so I'm fine with pushing it back 10 minutes!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Touch is a really good show that I gotta resume. I stalled at the end of Part 1, which is when a major change to the status quo occurs, but not because it was bad. Rather I had just become quite busy at the time. Revisiting those early eps definitely motivates me to pick it back up though.

It's slow but there's just a lot of heart behind the whole cast. Adachi's art is cool so the manga is always an option but personally I find that the anime adds a lot to the experience. The soundtrack is great at setting the mood, lots of voice actors that are still well-known today, and the slow pacing just plays well in anime format. I've read other Adachi works in manga form and binging them makes it a bit repetitive, but slowly going through one of his stories in anime form just works out so well.

K. Flaps posted:

Seriously

The gently caress is this.

That's Punch!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also, while I have not watched them myself, I've heard that the Touch movies feature new animation and are an acceptable alternative to the tv show. If you liked what you saw but aren't sure if you want to commit to a long journey, those could be a decent substitute.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sadly I won't have the time to watch it tonight but I will definitely watch and type words about it at some point this week!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I won't be able to finish watching it tonight, but I have seen the movie before. I saw it subbed the first time but this time I'm going with the Manga UK dub, that replaces the soundtrack with music by Yello

My initial impression is that it fits the movie incredibly well!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pretty much everything but the movie is up on Crunchyroll, iirc. The revival in the late 2000s was pretty deece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The early Dragonball anime is still quite fun. I prefer the manga but I do have some nostalgia for catching the anime on Toonami.

I always liked it more than Z due to the adventure aspect. Once Goku grows up the series loses a lot of that, and it's a shame.

It's weird to think of its Journey to the West origins today, considering what it turned into.

• Locked thread