Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
You strain your mind to think what could have happened. Only two possibilities seem to stand out to you. Either that guy whose arm she stole was out for revenge. Was Mikel his name? You hadn't believed the story at first but then you'd actually seen him in the boys dorms. He didn't seem happy (perhaps understandably) although you'd never talked to him. The other possibility was Walder. Since your first day you'd felt that he always had paid attention to Estarielle. If only because whenever you stood up to get a book you occasionally caught his eye on her or other times he studied late with you and Estarielle even though he wasn't engaged with what he was reading. But you never took him for someone who might take drastic action. One of those two would plausibly have some reason to have interfered with Estarielle.

A: The man missing the arm. Revenge made sense. You'd seen him around the dorms and he never seemed at peace.
B: Walder. Whatever was eating him had obviously boiled over and he'd done something drastic. You can't imagine what he'd do though.
C: The girls dorms. This could all just be a big misunderstanding. Maybe you'll drop by and get some reasonable explanation.
D: Something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
relax and C. This might sound meta-gamey but our line of thinking seems weirdly paranoid and given to considering plots over more plausible explanations. Don't succumb to the lord of change.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

be heAlthfully pAaranoid.

The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

be heAlthfully pAaranoid.

The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!

It's just an elf. Move on with our stuDies.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
B that dork has been gooning it up all year.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A. See if we can convince him to tell us what happened. It seems like it'd be an interesting story, if nothing else.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Let's Check out the dorms first before we freak out too bad.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

C
No need to jump to conclusions yet.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
C

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The strong prosper. The weak perish. D.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

The strong prosper. The weak perish. D.

Do you mean give up on the hunt and choose some other way to spend your time?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C, but frame it in the sense of "Wanted to say bye, it was nice to have someone else in the class focused on their studies. Oh well, nice meetin' ya!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Apocron posted:

Do you mean give up on the hunt and choose some other way to spend your time?

'Give up' is perhaps the wrong way to phrase it. The Elf sealed her fate. Why should we intervene?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
You leave the study. It feels weird to walk outside during the day. Having committed months of your life to working dawn till dusk now you're suddenly free to walk around the campus. Students mill around smiling and laughing, obviously happy to be on break. Some carry bags with their belongings planning to spend time back home. You wonder what your dad would think if you were to turn up now. Three months of lost income from scraping people clean and the only thing to show for it to him would be your new ability to read the words inscribed on the coins he so carefully stored in the lockbox under the fake floorboards of your apartment.

As you reach the entry of the girls dormitory you see a nearby warden keeping an eye. Perhaps because people were packing up and leaving they had increased security or perhaps they always had security at the girls' dormitories, you didn't know because this was your first time visiting, but it was clear you couldn't just waltz in. Walking back to the quad you see groups of boys and girls picnicking in the quad. Maybe if you could talk to one of the girls they could answer your questions or help you to get inside. Sweat beads on your forehead. You try to move your feet but your legs feel numb. There's a burning feeling in your chest even as you think of having to speak to any of these strangers. drat! Why was this happening?! You simply wanted to know if Estarielle was okay, but you felt so stupid. What would you even ask one of these people if you had to try and interrupt their conversations?

"Excuse me, I don't suppose you know where the elf girl is?"
"Could you help me get inside the girls dormitory so I can check on Estarielle?"

Your skin crawls with anxiety. You don't know how long you stand there. Looking at groups, taking half steps when you feel that perhaps there's a break in conversation you could step into, only to retreat when anyone gives you the briefest glance. The stress is painful and now your stomach begins to hurt telling you that it must be well past lunch time.

Giving up on approaching any of the other students you walk back to the girls dormitory entrance. The warden still stands there, a supremely bored look on his face. Unlike the other students you feel nervous but approaching him doesn't seem as impossible. You make your way toward him and as he senses you closing he breaks out of his reverie.

"Yes son?"

His tone is gruff.

"I uh, was, uh, hoping, maybe..."

He looks at you with puzzlement mixed with annoyance.

"What is it then?"
"I, uh, uh, there's a girl, who's in my class. Was in my class. I mean class is finished but. She's not there."
"Son, you are not making a lick of sense."

You realise that you are doing a pretty poor job of expressing yourself and decide to be more direct.

"I just... if I could look inside for a minute."
"You want to look inside the girls dormitory?"
"Yes! That's right!"
"No can do."
"But..."
"Didn't you hear me?"
"Well yes I did hear you but..."
"Then you should get out of here."

This isn't working out at all. But you're so close. If you can just get inside and see her room you could settle if she's ok. You'd be able to get some peace.

"I can't... she might be in danger."

With the mention of danger the warden arches an eyebrow.

"Oh really. There's someone in danger in the dorms? Are you saying I'm not doing my job?"
"No sir. I mean. She didn't come to the study and the chair was in the wrong place. It's... it's not like her."
"Like who?"
"Like Estarielle."

He breaks out into a toothy smile.

"Oh! One of THOSE are you? I thought you boys all quit after one of you lost an arm! What's your name?"
"Konrad."
"Ok Konrad. Run along. I'll let Estarielle know that you dropped by."

The Warden nudges you twice with his elbow and winks.

"I... I..."
"Konnie!"

From the doorway emerges a girl with fiery red hair, vivid brown eyes and an easy smile. She steps up beside you and wraps an arm around yours. You recoil and almost push her away before she says.

"Karl, stop bully Konnie. I've been promising him all semester he can see inside the mysterious girls dorms. You can tell he's hopeless but maybe if he can do this he can get a little respect."

Karl the Warden looks critically at the girl.

"You know it's not allowed Sophia."
"Have a heart! Not only did he have the courage to face stoney old you but he's set his sights on conquering the clockwork queen herself. This boy will be a legend here soon enough. He's had enough time facing his bridge troll. Maybe it's time you let him past."

Sophie's insistent pleas leaves Karl with only the power to sigh.

"Alright alright. But no crying to me if he loses a leg!"
"Cross our hearts!"

She all but drags you inside. Her hands on your arm feel very warm but as soon as she brings you inside she swings you round and now those eyes seem to burn into you.

"Go on then. What's wrong?"
"W-why?"
"Do you have time for that?"
"I-I-, ok I'm in Estarielle's class."
"Oh, the special class."

The slight patronising emphasis on special makes you want to retort but you restrain yourself.

"Yes, the special class."
"Don't be like that. You're the class of elves, runaways and people killing each other over accents."

Runaways? Killing each other? Some pieces fall into place and you realise that the runaway must be the blonde boy, but did she mean Massimo had killed Isabella? You barely spoke two words to him, but a killer? Why hadn't he been put in jail? Sophie begins swinging her hand around motioning you to continue.

"Well, Estarielle didn't come this morning. I thought that was weird."

As you say that Sophie frowns.

"Actually, that is weird. She was leaving after breakfast right on time as I was coming in. Same food, same clothes an armful of books. Just like always."

Your eyes widen and now you clasp her arms.

"When? When?!"
"She always finishes breakfast by first bell."

First bell! That meant that if she had gone to the study then she would have gotten there before you. Something weird was going on.

"Please tell me you can remember which books she had!"

Sophie's face wrinkles up as she does her best to recall.

"Conquest of Larry..."
"The Conquest of the Lord Sire, and other Tales by Captain Devries?"

Her eyes widen in surprise.

"How did you..."
"I was thinking about reading it myself."

That had been one of the books you had considered back when Gerome offered you a gift. Had she seen it in your hands? Was that why she was reading it? What did that mean?

"Well what now?"

You look out the dorm door. Already the afternoon light is fading. She had been captured for most of the day. There was no more time. You weren't certain who but you had to jump to some conclusion and act.

A: Mikel
B: Walder
C: (Do something else)

A: Ask Sophie to come.
B: Ask Sophie to stay.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C

Loot her belongings for anything that might further our career then abandon her to her fate.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A and A

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

C

Loot her belongings for anything that might further our career then abandon her to her fate.

Works for me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sure.

Also I kinda like Sophie, we should be friends with her if we gently caress up and never see the elf again. Or even if we do this right.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
AA works for me

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ack Ack

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

A A

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
B A

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
"Sophie! It has to be him!"

"Who?"

"The boy who lost his arm! M..."

"Mikel?"

"Yeah! Wait... how do you know his name?"

"Well I was in Estarielle and Mikel's class. Everyone knows what happened. But you really think Mikel would do something?"

"I've never met him but it makes sense! She hurt him. He must be taking his revenge!"

"I suppose it makes sense. Ok, well it's time you repay the favour. You get me into the boys dormitory and we'll go check out Mikel's room.

You nod, honestly feeling a bit excited that someone is joining you on your quest to try and help Estarielle. The two of you race across the quad, the light is growing dimmer now as the lamplighters make their way around campus. You feel embarrassed as you quickly start panting for breath even though the pace doesn't bother Sophie. As usual there aren't any guards outside the boys dormitory. You wonder faintly if that counts as sexism. Racing through the entrance and up the stairs to the dorm rooms you look around. Since you had never really socialized with anyone you find yourself at a bit of a loss as to which room might be Mikel's. Sophie sees your consternation and sighing good naturedly knocks on a door. A boy with tousled blonde opens the door squinting.

"Soph? What are you doing up here?"

"I need to see Mikel."

"Armwrestler?"

"Yeah armwrestler."

Shrugging his shoulder he leans out and points down the corridor.

"Second to last on the left."

"Thanks Burt."

"Whatever."

The two of your make your way down the hall to Mikel's dorm room. Your heart is beating and you feel your pulse pounding in your ears. Here you are, now is the time! Time for... Sophie knocks on the door. You stare at her incredulously. After a minute a boy with red hair who is missing an arm opens the door. He appears to be in foul humor. Through the crack you see his room is spectacularly messy.

"What the... Sophie?! And who's this?"

His momentary curiosity is overtaken by his irritation.

"Look whatever you want, push off and leave me alone."

He makes to close the door.

What do you do?

A: Stick a foot in the door. You've got questions.
B: Kick the door in and save Estarielle!
C: Let the door close. He doesn't seem to be in the process of kidnapping someone. Go to Walder's room?
D: Give up.
E: Something else.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Also, if this guy isn't the kidnapper I want to become friends with him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
E

Seriously, go back and loot that precious elf merch.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Seriously, go back and loot that precious elf merch.

Patience, we'll still have time for elf loot once we interrogate this punk. He knows something, and no secrets should be kept from us.

A

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Steeling yourself you put your foot in the door. It slams on the soft leather of your boot squashing your foot and causing you to grit your teeth. Mikel is surprised by you but his eyes narrow with malicious purpose and he opens to door wide readying himself to slam it on your foot once more. Taking this opportunity Sophie barges into the door knocking Mikel back onto his bed.

"Mikel you rear end. Are you trying to break his foot?!"
"You guys are the ones breaking into my room!"

You take a few hobbling steps forward and take a look around the room. In form it is much like your own but while you carefully manage your desk and shelf space to make things easier to study Mikel could hardly make it harder for himself to study if he tried. His books like in messy dusty piles not only his shelves but also on the floor. An ink stained desk speaks of how many careless times he has bumped his inkwell and the penmanship on the pages that lie before you is abominable. And that's coming from someone who only learnt to write in the past few months!

The worst part of entering his room though is the confirmation that Estarielle is nowhere to be seen. Your eyes flit over every object in the room but there is no sign that she has been here. Sophie has Mikel well under control by now. She's climbed onto the bed putting Mikel into a headlock and is giving him a rough noogie.

"Get off you manish trollop!"
"Aha, the manish trollop unmans the heavyweight champion with a headlock into a demonic death trap."

She jumps forward planting Mikel right in his straw pillow. He lets out a muffled cry of pain.

"Sophie, can you let him go for a second I need to ask him about Estarielle."

Sophie looks up at you and shrugs. She lets him go and stands up off to your side. Mikel looks up panting heavily, a venemous look in his eye. Sophie merely pats her bicep promising a clothesline. Before she can deliver you stand between them and interject.

"Mikel! Do you know where Estarielle is?"

The question obviously confuses him.

"What? Why? I? G-get GET OUT!"

The mixture of exertion confusion, exertion and emotion seems to get the better of Mikel as his face turns bright red his eyes starting to well up. You look awakwardly at Sophie and can see she's a moment away from calling him a crybaby so you grab her arm and drag her out. Mikel slams the door behind you leaving the two of you standing in the corridor with a couple of passing boys looking at you awkwardly as they make there way to the canteen for supper.

"Well that was a bust Konnie. Shall we call it quits?"

What do you do?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Agree, then go loot the elf's belongings.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Fine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Under the pretense that we're... safekeeping them when we come across her again.

Totally.

That's exactly what we're doing. Just holding onto her stuff, and not using her material to learn magic that is extremely advanced. That's what we're not doing, no way.

(We're doing that)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hell no we're going to go beat up that other nerd kid and save the elf girl

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
DO NOT STEAL MURDER-ELF'S poo poo

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Grognan posted:

DO NOT STEAL MURDER-ELF'S poo poo

Uh, I think you mean murdered-elf

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Skellybones posted:

Hell no we're going to go beat up that other nerd kid and save the elf girl

say and do that.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
"Well, that's about enough excitment for one day. I'm gonna head back to the dorms."

Sophie shakes your hand.

"It was nice meeting you Konnie. Hopefully we'll see more of each other around after the break."
"Yeah, I hope so to."

There's a slightly awkward pause before you work up the courage to ask.

"Actually, do you mind getting me into the girls dormitory again?"

Sophie cocks an eyebrow.

"Uhhhh, why?"
"I want to search Estarielle's things again."

Her eyes widen a little.

"Konnie you're obsessed! We've been running around for half the day on this wild goose chase! Give it a rest. Maybe she'll be back again tomorrow morning!"
"I.. I guess."
"Anyway, good night!"

With that she turns and leaves. Looks like if you want back into the dorms again it won't be so easy.

What do you do?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

"Konnie"?

I guess there are only two viable options here, either Bugs Bunny style drag or praying to the Ruinous Powers. Maybe both.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Apocron posted:

"Well, that's about enough excitment for one day. I'm gonna head back to the dorms."

Sophie shakes your hand.

"It was nice meeting you Konnie. Hopefully we'll see more of each other around after the break."
"Yeah, I hope so to."

There's a slightly awkward pause before you work up the courage to ask.

"Actually, do you mind getting me into the girls dormitory again?"

Sophie cocks an eyebrow.

"Uhhhh, why?"
"I want to search Estarielle's things again."

Her eyes widen a little.

"Konnie you're obsessed! We've been running around for half the day on this wild goose chase! Give it a rest. Maybe she'll be back again tomorrow morning!"
"I.. I guess."
"Anyway, good night!"

With that she turns and leaves. Looks like if you want back into the dorms again it won't be so easy.

What do you do?

Go home and sleep.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Grognan posted:

Go home and sleep.
Yep. Bad end to this sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The thought of trying to make your way past the guard again sours your stomach. Even if you did manage to get into the dorms how would you explain your presence there without Sophie? You let go of the desire to pick through Estarielle's belongings with some difficulty and sigh. Your stomach rumbles to remind you that the day has raced by and you haven't really taken care of it. You make your way to the dining room and eat the meat and potatoes on offer. Normally the food here is of distinguished quality but obviously the chef is half-assing it because the holiday is about to start.

After filling your stomach you make your way back to your room and collapse onto your bed. Well, even if this day was a bit of a waste it's still only the first day of your break. You'll have plenty of opportunities to have fun over the next few weeks. As you drift off you smile at this new life that you're building yourself. The last thing that teases your heart before the night takes you is the memory of Estarielle's chair. Just a little out of place.

What are your plans for the holiday?

• Locked thread