Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

a hole-y ghost posted:

TribalWar.com

That is not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ahundredbux posted:

i never got deep into ns2 can someone break down what they did wrong with it?

The biggest problem is the engine. they spent years and shitloads of money making their own engine which turned out to be a mistake because it was a buggy pos with poor hit reg and hitboxes, and ran like complete rear end. those years could have been put into making source work a lot better (and to be fair, source improved A LOT since hl2 has come out which is when they decided not to do source). It was a huge waste of time, resources and ultimately didn't work out since no one is licensing their piece of poo poo "spark" engine like they were hoping.

Then gameplay and mechanics wasn't very good, sometimes as a result of the lovely engine. Adding alien commander was dumb, they tried a mix of combat and classic and it just didn't work. And this is from someone who really liked both Combat and Classic from NS1, and I think they should have done a similar thing focusing on well-built out combat mode, which had a ton of potential that some people tried to follow up on with lovely /xmenu retarded plugins but it wasn't a bad idea. And then put in classic as well instead of some lovely hybrid that appeased neither.

And there wasn't really any strategy and made a bunch of baffling design choices from NS1, which I get, it's a different game but some of it was just like HEY WOULDNT THIS BE COOL?? and added it damned all else. They kept making wildly stupid balance changes back and forth and who knows what they ended up doing because I stopped playing when it was apparent it was just going to be an unfun buggy clusterfuck ad nausea

Then the community devolved into the most toxic incestuous cesspool and pretty much lost like 90% of the players over a few months.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
yeah that basically sums it up nicely

they should just remaster ns as a mod

i'd definitely play that again

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

"These terrorists" ahhh the imagination of white people.

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug
Spent untold thousands of hours on ns1, mostly on the combat servers, FORD and g4b2s I think were some of the more popular combat servers.

They also had those custom ns_siege007 maps that were a blast to play.

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007
NSArmslab was a best hangout place. Probably one of the few servers were I wouldn't get banned for solo carrying entire teams.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kashekya posted:

Spent untold thousands of hours on ns1, mostly on the combat servers, FORD and g4b2s I think were some of the more popular combat servers.

:hfive:
yeah I used to play g4b2s when I first started playing. actually a really nice tight community. I was an admin there for a little while but I eventually ended up disliking siege maps and 32-player clusterfuck classic servers as I got better so I stopped going there, but I'm still friends with people from there and that was how I found SA when someone linked PPPowernotebook back when that happen.

DuoGodOfDeath posted:

NSArmslab was a best hangout place. Probably one of the few servers were I wouldn't get banned for solo carrying entire teams.
I was banned from NSArmslab a few times but I was a really loving good shot and knew how to exploit spawn camping for maximum assholeness, and i had an f1 join script that i would just mash to always get on marines every game over and over. people got really mad when you never play alien.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 13, 2016

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
day of defeat needs the global offensive treatment

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Just posting to say how great Natural Selection was. I wish they'd been able to fully recapture it with NS2, but it never felt quiet the same.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I played pretty much every half life mod and exploited or cheated as much as I possibly could

I'm not sorry

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm one of the reasons why early counter strike had to use CRC checks

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

COUNTER-STRIKE GOING STRONG MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RocktheCaulk posted:

BF1942 had a pretty good variety of mods. Forgotten Hope was one of the best mods I've ever played, and might be the best WW2 reality style game made.

Yeah, Forgotten Hope was so good. We do still bust out Desert Combat in the office , although its been a while :(

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Best mod for me is Action Quake 2, and it'd definitely be the game I've spent the most time playing (though the various incarnations of CS could be close at this point).

Reliablely getting headshots from your zoomed in sniper-rifle while bunnyhopping around at 1000mph might not have been realistic but gently caress it was fun (not to mention a real skill when you have a 200+ ping in a game where there was no clientside prediction of shots). Every other gun in that game had its place too, and gently caress it was satisfying to use the handcannon to blast someone clean across the map.

I moved onto CS after that and for me its golden years were beta 5 and 6, I loved the more experimental maps, and the vehicles, as clunky as they were, were a lotta fun too. I got turned off from CS by beta 7 because every gun balance problem seemed to be solved by nerfing the stronger weapons - by the time beta 7 came out there was a lot more randomness to the gunplay and I didn't like it (I enjoy CS:GO these days though).

I played a lot of the other mods mentioned here but those are the two that I always went back to.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, Forgotten Hope was so good. We do still bust out Desert Combat in the office , although its been a while :(

I still play FH2, it's only got one active server left that is populated during peak Euro times, and not quite as fun, but god drat if those developers didn't do a hell of a job making that game. They should honestly make a WW2 stand alone game on a modern engine, but seeing as they're still adding onto FH2 I don't see that happening.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Did someone mention Afraid of Monsters and Cry of Fear?

If not, go download and play these mods, they literally may as well be their own games but they are free HL mods and are :krad:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RocktheCaulk posted:

I still play FH2, it's only got one active server left that is populated during peak Euro times, and not quite as fun, but god drat if those developers didn't do a hell of a job making that game. They should honestly make a WW2 stand alone game on a modern engine, but seeing as they're still adding onto FH2 I don't see that happening.

They're gearing up for a big release soon and I think I'll give it a shot when it's out. They've got some sort of free version of BF2 you can use for it too.

SealHammer posted:

Did someone mention Afraid of Monsters and Cry of Fear?

If not, go download and play these mods, they literally may as well be their own games but they are free HL mods and are :krad:

Cry of Fear was really impressive for what they did to GoldSrc but I found it really boring and borderline unplayable. Plus a lot of the monster design was just silly; wasn't there a flying bed that tried to eat you or something?

AoM is legitimately freaky though, in part because it's actually more limited.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I miss science & industry so much

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cry of fear was boring as poo poo and took about ten hours to get going.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
did someone say cry of fear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9O8MpB4doA

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Fuzz1111 posted:

Best mod for me is Action Quake 2, and it'd definitely be the game I've spent the most time playing (though the various incarnations of CS could be close at this point).

Reliablely getting headshots from your zoomed in sniper-rifle while bunnyhopping around at 1000mph might not have been realistic but gently caress it was fun (not to mention a real skill when you have a 200+ ping in a game where there was no clientside prediction of shots). Every other gun in that game had its place too, and gently caress it was satisfying to use the handcannon to blast someone clean across the map.

I moved onto CS after that and for me its golden years were beta 5 and 6, I loved the more experimental maps, and the vehicles, as clunky as they were, were a lotta fun too. I got turned off from CS by beta 7 because every gun balance problem seemed to be solved by nerfing the stronger weapons - by the time beta 7 came out there was a lot more randomness to the gunplay and I didn't like it (I enjoy CS:GO these days though).

I played a lot of the other mods mentioned here but those are the two that I always went back to.

We had fun playing Actionhalflife dont forget.

But yes, the old CS before beta 7 were the good old days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xaris posted:

The biggest problem is the engine. they spent years and shitloads of money making their own engine which turned out to be a mistake because it was a buggy pos with poor hit reg and hitboxes, and ran like complete rear end. those years could have been put into making source work a lot better (and to be fair, source improved A LOT since hl2 has come out which is when they decided not to do source). It was a huge waste of time, resources and ultimately didn't work out since no one is licensing their piece of poo poo "spark" engine like they were hoping.

Then gameplay and mechanics wasn't very good, sometimes as a result of the lovely engine. Adding alien commander was dumb, they tried a mix of combat and classic and it just didn't work. And this is from someone who really liked both Combat and Classic from NS1, and I think they should have done a similar thing focusing on well-built out combat mode, which had a ton of potential that some people tried to follow up on with lovely /xmenu retarded plugins but it wasn't a bad idea. And then put in classic as well instead of some lovely hybrid that appeased neither.

And there wasn't really any strategy and made a bunch of baffling design choices from NS1, which I get, it's a different game but some of it was just like HEY WOULDNT THIS BE COOL?? and added it damned all else. They kept making wildly stupid balance changes back and forth and who knows what they ended up doing because I stopped playing when it was apparent it was just going to be an unfun buggy clusterfuck ad nausea

Then the community devolved into the most toxic incestuous cesspool and pretty much lost like 90% of the players over a few months.

i really really really don't understand why they made their own engine. i followed the development pretty closely and the whole time i'm thinking what the gently caress. you have gaben himself registering and posting on your forums i think he coulda helped you with source poo poo. i think the reason they didn't wanna use source was because dynamic infestation wouldn't work?? but just don't include it what the hell.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Kashekya posted:

oh yeah siege maps forgot about those

loved gorging it up in those

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One of the more memorable mods I played for Half-Life was Half-Quake Amen which was this bizarre single-player thing. It was the Stanley's Parable of it's day, except it made even less sense.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just posting to say ricochet was god tier and someone should remake it

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

de_jeepathon2k was the best worst map and running over all the snipers from behind ruled.

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016

Saucer Crab posted:

de_jeepathon2k was the best worst map and running over all the snipers from behind ruled.

I was a regular at a server called Road Rage, which had a whole selection of vehicle-based maps and the ability to vote for a melee-only mode. The physics were hilariously broken a lot of the time, and it wasn't uncommon for a vehicle to randomly spaz out/clip through a wall and kill everyone inside

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Runaway Train was pretty cool. It was King of the Hill except the Hill was a train that you rode, complete with janky physics.

You could throw cinder blocks at people and it'd make that ridiculously meaty SPLORTCH gib noise.

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit

Captain Video posted:

I was a regular at a server called Road Rage, which had a whole selection of vehicle-based maps and the ability to vote for a melee-only mode. The physics were hilariously broken a lot of the time, and it wasn't uncommon for a vehicle to randomly spaz out/clip through a wall and kill everyone inside
func_vehicle now, func_vehicle forever!

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Like couple of mention already, the Desert Crisis remains as one my my all time favorite mod/game ever

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

it's almost as if the golden age of X is whatever was popular when you were in middle school/high school/college

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Groovelord Neato posted:

i really really really don't understand why they made their own engine. i followed the development pretty closely and the whole time i'm thinking what the gently caress. you have gaben himself registering and posting on your forums i think he coulda helped you with source poo poo. i think the reason they didn't wanna use source was because dynamic infestation wouldn't work?? but just don't include it what the hell.

Yeah basically. I think they were hoping to become the next source/unreal/unity (tho unity wasn't a thing at the time but prolly would have been a poor choice too if it was), and just used excuse of ~dynamic infestation~ which, while cool, it wasn't necessary and I'm skeptical that source couldn't have done it if they actually tried.

Not that source is perfect and also kind of sucks in some ways, but way better than a buggy lovely performing engine with awful netcode.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

it's almost as if the golden age of X is whatever was popular when you were in middle school/high school/college

Heh, yeah, thats propably it
But DC was different damned :argh:
Also the action half-life was pretty drat good too and there was some strange football mod that was fun as all hell

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tuxedo Gin posted:

nah there's no game you can buy now and just play like 100 different games in it (or p easily make your own). the 3d modeling software used for goldsrc was even easy as hell to use.

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016

Just a Fish posted:

some strange football mod

You may be thinking of International Online Soccer. I played it very briefly and found it amusing that the "kill" command worked

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Don't get the whole rose tinted glasses thing. Revisiting some old games and STILL having a blast with the game and all the mods it has.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

They should have used the StarCraft engine.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah basically. Im not under an illusion that things were better but it's fun to reminiscent and think back to "simpler times" being young with way too much free time and still having reflexes is always the best time. Now we are old hateful spiteful mentally unwell jaded farts that hate everything.

back then there really weren't that many games compared to now so people revolved around HL/WC3 communities with mods. Compared to now where there's insane amount of cheap/free games for everything and a ton of drat good ones to play and move on. I'd say golden age is probably an ongoing spectra right now after a relatively sad lull in mid to late 00s. This is partly why sc2 customs never took off like wc3 just because there's so drat much good stuff to compete with (and blizz did some dumb stuff but that's an aside). Just we are no longer young to enjoy everything out there as much

To be fair tho, the encouraged modding and open tools back were simple and communities around them then were unparalleled with a "critical mass" population to keep them sustainable compared to today because devs don't want to put the effort (understandably, they want to keep poo poo secret Inhouse and get people to buy their next game), and they're complicated as gently caress now, and there's too much out there so there never builds up a big population so it turns into lovely hostile 40 player incestuous communities at best.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

you forgot kindergarten and elementary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Games were experimental back then, but now that bigger cooler games require an insane budget to hire an army of graphic artists and poo poo to make your flashy new graphics, the priorities have changed. The dudes in charge of profits are calling the shots now, and it's really starting to show these days.

Sometimes I wonder if there will be a 'collapse' in the world of gaming.

• Locked thread