Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

This thread is to talk about the greatest TV show ever made, Columbo!

For those that don't know, Columbo is a police detective. That's all you need to know. Go watch Columbo, you fucks!

It's on Netflix, the first episode was directed by Spielberg.

Hungary loved Columbo so much the erected a statue of him and his dog in his honor.

Please talk about how great Columbo is and try to convince others to watch it for the first time!

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Yeah but why did he kill all those poor Natives?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Columbo is good.

Masterful trolling.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Moridin920 posted:

Columbo is good.

Masterful trolling.

This is no troll. Columbo is amazing!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Why is that statue in the street?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This is no troll. Columbo is amazing!

No I mean Columbo is a masterful troll.

ChrisHansen posted:

see my previous response

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
its a shame what those disturbed young men did at Columbo

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This thread is to talk about the greatest TV show ever made, Columbo!

For those that don't know, Columbo is a police detective. That's all you need to know. Go watch Columbo, you fucks!

It's on Netflix, the first episode was directed by Spielberg.

Hungary loved Columbo so much the erected a statue of him and his dog in his honor.

Please talk about how great Columbo is and try to convince others to watch it for the first time!

What kind of a shameful Columbo OP doesn't end with "And just one more thing"?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Moridin920 posted:

No I mean Columbo is a masterful troll.

You got me!

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

ChrisHansen posted:

A dubious connection between the family of the actor who played him and Hungary.

Show owned though.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Marketing New Brain posted:

What kind of a shameful Columbo OP doesn't end with "And just one more thing"?

All of the posts that follow are "just one more thing". You are the one more thing!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Uh, jive, please don't turn this into another thread about what happened at Columbo

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Dude looks like kramer

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Uh, jive, please don't turn this into another thread about what happened at Columbo

I cant seem to let go...

RoxiesMD
Oct 20, 2013

by LadyAmbien
Isn't columbo a mafia?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

RoxiesMD posted:

Isn't columbo a mafia?

no, he's a detective with a glass eye and star of the best tv show ever

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh wait, OP. One more thing

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yogurt

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did he ever fail to figure a case out? Can't remember.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
*walking out of thread* This is a great thread op - great job. looks good. Thanks for your time, see you later.

*walks back into thread* Although i just have one question...

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I love how episodes of Columbo never end in some kind of dramatic shoot-out. I think it's actually more naturalistic feeling that the criminal, who typically is genuinely remorseful to some extent, just gives up cause they know their crime has been exposed.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Columbo is my favourite TV show and I'm not lying or being ironic.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Columbo is strongly modelled on detective Porfiry from Dostojevskij's Crime and Punishment and is, to me, the best TV detective ever.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
In the case of the upset wife ... he has left out one big clue.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Minimalist Program posted:

Columbo is my favourite TV show and I'm not lying or being ironic.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Did he ever fail to figure a case out? Can't remember.

In "Forgotten Lady" he figured it out, but in the end acts as if he wouldn't have done so yet. Does that count?

Oooooh, and can we talk about our favourite episodes, as well? Because Forgotten Lady is one of mine.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ibogaine posted:

can we talk about our favourite episodes

YES!!!! How bout that one with Johnny Cash trying to kill his family in an airplane?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
My favourite episode is the one with the movie director that has Columbo walking through a lot of set pieces that act as both cinematographic and narrative metaphors for both the murder plot of the episode and of some of the inner tensions of the Columbo character in general.

this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097087/

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't think I could make myself watch Columbo, because growing up my parents played it in heavy rotation at our house, so I grew up hating it because it wasn't Pinwheel.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
It's such a goddamned good piece of television I am going to see if I can find it and watch it again right now. Thank you hector beerlioz, for reminding me about how good Columbo is.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

YES!!!! How bout that one with Johnny Cash trying to kill his family in an airplane?

Swansong! Awesome!

I loved how Cash basically played this facetious parody of himself.

Have you seen "Murder by the Book"? It was the first regular episode of the show, about a talentless co-writer who murders his partner, because he wants to split and the murderer doesn't want everybody to figure out that he's just a hack. It was directed by Stephen Spielberg when he was 25. Another fantastic one.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Minimalist Program posted:

It's such a goddamned good piece of television I am going to see if I can find it and watch it again right now. Thank you hector beerlioz, for reminding me about how good Columbo is.

The majority of the episodes are on Netflix, RIGHT NOW!!!! Even the ones with Dick van Dyke, Donald Pleasance and the husband from Green Acres.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The majority of the episodes are on Netflix, RIGHT NOW!!!! Even the ones with Dick van Dyke, Donald Pleasance and the husband from Green Acres.

But not all right? I went through the Netflix ones recently and I was like 'I swear these aren't all of them.'

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's not on netflix in my region and they finally figured out how to beat unblock.us for non-US viewers.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

But not all right? I went through the Netflix ones recently and I was like 'I swear these aren't all of them.'

Season 8 isn't on US netflix, from what I can tell. And season 8 is rly good.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ibogaine posted:

Have you seen "Murder by the Book"? It was the first regular episode of the show, about a talentless co-writer who murders his partner, because he wants to split and the murderer doesn't want everybody to figure out that he's just a hack. It was directed by Stephen Spielberg when he was 25. Another fantastic one.

Ugh!, read the OP!

JK. Yeah, it's great! I believe this was the gig he had right before he did Duel which made his career take off.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Columbo is the best detective show ever made, with Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Homes just below it. Does he really have a wife? How old is his adorable basset hound? How can he drive around in his old jalopy with a glass eye? All riveting questions on Columbo.

Also it had a dope af scene where a murder played out in the murder's glasses. Really cool editing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Homes just below it.

HELL YEAH, my friend!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hi Hector, do you think I could talk about Murder, She Wrote in here, or do you think it's deserving of it's own thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Ugh!, read the OP!

Sorry, you're right of course.

My only excuse is that my initial reaction was "HOLY poo poo!!! A THREAD ABOUT COLUMBO!!!", so in my excitement, I missed it.

• Locked thread