Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Minimalist Program posted:

Season 8 isn't on US netflix, from what I can tell. And season 8 is rly good.

poo poo I knew it. The last season on Netflix only has like 3-4 episodes too but they were longer than the episodes in previous seasons so I figured it was intentional or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

OctoberBlues posted:

Hi Hector, do you think I could talk about Murder, She Wrote in here, or do you think it's deserving of it's own thread?

Why not, if it has good discussion start a thread of your own n get that forums gold!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
"It's me Bob Columbo! I'll solve the mystery and crack the case!"

I used to love it when he said that!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Really I've always felt that the biggest mystery aspect of Columbo, the tv show, is exactly trying to figure out the character of Columbo himself. Like does he really have a wife? and Is he really that person that he seems to be on-screen? Since we only ever see him "in character" and interacting with his suspects, we, like the bad guys, never really get to see Columbo "outside" of that mode of interaction. LIke every now and then during the final reveal you'll catch a tiny glimpse of something "else" in him, like a subtle rage or anger, when he's dismantling the lies of whoever happens to be his perp of week. Like there's something really dark behind that character he pretends to be whenever he's with a suspect.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So much better than The Commish imo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ibogaine posted:

Sorry, you're right of course.

My only excuse is that my initial reaction was "HOLY poo poo!!! A THREAD ABOUT COLUMBO!!!", so in my excitement, I missed it.

All is forgiven my friend, on one condition! Tell us about your favorite Columbo episode.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Really I've always felt that the biggest mystery aspect of Columbo, the tv show, is exactly trying to figure out the character of Columbo himself. Like does he really have a wife? and Is he really that person that he seems to be on-screen? Since we only ever see him "in character" and interacting with his suspects, we, like the bad guys, never really get to see Columbo "outside" of that mode of interaction. LIke every now and then during the final reveal you'll catch a tiny glimpse of something "else" in him, like a subtle rage or anger, when he's dismantling the lies of whoever happens to be his perp of week. Like there's something really dark behind that character he pretends to be whenever he's with a suspect.

This always fascinated me, too.

For all we know it's a total fabricated persona. You never see his wife ever and you're right you never even really see him interact in a non-professional casual manner. At best he jokes politely with other officers, at worst he totally ditches them and befuddles them. He could be a total psychopath and you have no real glimpse into anything but the one face he presents to the world.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
LIke the only actual mystery or problem solving pleasure you get from watching Columbo is from trying to figure out what Columbo is thinking at any given moment. It's the only detective show in TV history that puts you in the shoes of the perp from the start and asks you to try and solve a murder mystery in reverse by pitting you against a completely inscrutable superhuman crime solver whose thoughts, emotions and logic patterns are completely obscured by an impenetrable facade of good-natured bumbling idiocy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Uhhhhh.....

\

LIke the only actual mystery or problem solving pleasure you get from watching Columbo is from trying to figure out what Columbo is thinking at any given moment. It's the only detective show in TV history that puts you in the shoes of the perp from the start and asks you to try and solve a murder mystery in reverse by pitting you against a completely inscrutable superhuman crime solver whose thoughts, emotions and logic patterns are completely obscured by an impenetrable facade of good-natured bumbling idiocy.
gently caress. You're right. This was like the only crime drama I liked when I was 7 when I barely understood the world. If it can capture me then, there's got to be something there.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 11, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Like does he really have a wife?

If he didn't have a wife buying him bad shoes, why do you think he would always be asking about them...?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

For all we know it's a total fabricated persona. You never see his wife ever and you're right you never even really see him interact in a non-professional casual manner. At best he jokes politely with other officers, at worst he totally ditches them and befuddles them. He could be a total psychopath and you have no real glimpse into anything but the one face he presents to the world.

Exactly. I really like the movie director episode because in some of the set-piece metaphors where Columbo is sort of "hunting" the perp through various movie sets, it's sort of like you get a bit of a glimpse of Columbo being genuinely frigthened, which was fascinating enough to me that I remember the episode 10 years later.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Moridin920 posted:

That's one of the more interesting aspects of the show. The most private moments you get are Columbo driving to a crime scene or whatever. It's impossible to say where the persona ends and the man begins. Goddamn Peter Falk rules.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Why not, if it has good discussion start a thread of your own n get that forums gold!

You've inspired me Hector.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That, too.

What a good show dang.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
It's so good and it's the exact same thing dostojevskij does with detective porify in crime and punishment and I don't even care if anybody thinks im a nerd for typing that out.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hitchcock figured it out a while back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xs111uH9ss

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I remember one episode where Columbo was sure that a big building contractor buried someone at a construction site that was about to be filled with cement. He had the building stopped to get crews in to excavate where he thought the body was, but it wasn't there. It's one of the few times I remember seeing him frustrated and not just having the flashes of righteous indignation sometimes. I might be hazy on those details though.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I remember one episode where Columbo was sure that a big building contractor buried someone at a construction site that was about to be filled with cement. He had the building stopped to get crews in to excavate where he thought the body was, but it wasn't there. It's one of the few times I remember seeing him frustrated and not just having the touches of righteous indignation sometimes. I might be hazy on those details though.

I remember this episode. He pulled a lot of favors to get it dug up, but no body!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

quote:

Excuse me sir. I couldn't resist trying your pinball machine. I guess I tried a little too hard. But that's an old problem with me sir — the way I keep steering and pushing and pulling at things. Someday, the whole sky's gonna light up and it's gonna say, "Tilt". And that's gonna be the end of the world!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Name something Peter Falk did that was bad

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

signalnoise posted:

It was bad when he died.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

All is forgiven my friend, on one condition! Tell us about your favorite Columbo episode.

Alright, it's also the first one I've seen.

It's "Any old port in a storm" with Donald Pleasance. As the story unfolds, I always develop so much sympathy for Donald Pleasance's character that I just wish Columbo would just let him go. I also love how Columbo maneuvers Pleasance into unwittingly proving his own guilt. And of course it's really tragic, because you get this feeling how this unlikely pair shares so many characteristics, and that they could be good friends. The comic relief elements are perfectly timed as well.

I don't want to be too specific though, because I genuinely, unironically think that every goon who hasn't done so yet should watch it. And I don't want to spoiler it.

I agree. A lot of his talk about cousins, nephews, etc. is definetly just made up stuff that he uses to introduce a new angle or simply to annoy people.

This darker aspect of his character also makes the episodes when he is up against people who ridicule and underestimate him all the more entertaining. I think there is a bit of revenge fantasy for the viewers going on here: When he pulls down the mask in the end to bring down the priviliged rear end in a top hat who looked untouchable and acted accordingly, it's enjoyable because Columbo gets do what is often mere wishful thinking for the rest of us: getting even and demonstrate your own superiority after having been humiliated.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

signalnoise posted:

The Secret of the Purple Reef

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

signalnoise posted:

Sorry to say it, but Columbo goes Undercover was really bad.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Suarian episode is a tiny bit racist

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I like the one where he solves a crime in London with marbles.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

ElGroucho posted:

I like the one where he solves a crime in London with marbles.

The guy with the shrapnel in his leg is my favourite character. He looks and behaves as if he came in from a Monty Python sketch.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I want to know why the Blu Ray version of columbo was released in Japan but nowhere else.

Favourite episode is hard, but the one where he fakes his wife's death is good. Alternatively any of the ones with Patrick McGoohan are classics.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Doug Sisk posted:

any of the ones with Patrick McGoohan are classics.

Be seeing you!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzKehvXNBus

Peter Falk is great and this is really funny.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Columbo owns.

I still wonder how they got so many celebrities for a random NBC murder mystery show

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ramadu posted:

Columbo owns.

I still wonder how they got so many celebrities for a random NBC murder mystery show

No one wanted to be known as a TV dad forever. Same deal with Roots.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Have you guys read the wiki for this show?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo

They have a massive section about all the stuff he says about his family and stuff.

Also apparently Captain Janeway from Voyager was cast as his wife in Mrs. Columbo haha

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ramadu posted:

Also apparently Captain Janeway from Voyager was cast as his wife in Mrs. Columbo haha
I knew my fanfictions had been inspired by a higher power, haha

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

Have you guys read the wiki for this show?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo

They have a massive section about all the stuff he says about his family and stuff.

I've seen Mrs. Columbo. It's terrible and I pretend it doesn't exist.

My favorite season of Columbo is the one where he catches a Senator I think. The great thing about it is all the other episodes of the season have him working on the Senators case in the background. I just think it's a neat bit of story telling and it shows why Columbo always gets his crook in the end. He just doesn't let up no matter how long it takes him.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Why isn't this in tviv?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Why isn't this in tviv?

Because TVIV is also terrible. Possibly even worse than Mrs. Columbo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ibogaine posted:

Alright, it's also the first one I've seen.

It's "Any old port in a storm" with Donald Pleasance. As the story unfolds, I always develop so much sympathy for Donald Pleasance's character that I just wish Columbo would just let him go. I also love how Columbo maneuvers Pleasance into unwittingly proving his own guilt. And of course it's really tragic, because you get this feeling how this unlikely pair shares so many characteristics, and that they could be good friends. The comic relief elements are perfectly timed as well.

I really like that episode because it shows how loving smart Columbo is. It takes him about 24 hours to become a wine expert, which he needed to do in order gain Pleasance's confidence.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the show. My grandmother (RIP) and I used to watch it together all the time.

Another good episode guest stars Martin Landau. He plays twins. One of them killed the dad, but they both have great motives for doing so. Amazing acting by everyone, especially Landau.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doug Sisk posted:

I want to know why the Blu Ray version of columbo was released in Japan but nowhere else.

You made me look up japanese fanart of Columbo, and it's great :

also there's a torrent for the entire series and oh boy it's 42gbs, didn't know there was so much stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If it didn't have Frank Vincent in at least one episode playing a mobster, piss on it.

• Locked thread