Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaquin
May 12, 2007
hell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Did Columbo ever go to Columbia or Columbus

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Ibogaine posted:

In "Forgotten Lady" he figured it out, but in the end acts as if he wouldn't have done so yet. Does that count?

Oooooh, and can we talk about our favourite episodes, as well? Because Forgotten Lady is one of mine.

Long suppressed feels emerge from within me ;_;

Best episode is the one where the Prisoner runs an army academy. Show was classy as gently caress

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I enjoyed hearing Columbo talk about his wife that we never saw

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Theshby posted:

Best episode is the one where the Prisoner runs an army academy. Show was classy as gently caress

Also featuring a young Bruno Kirby and the star of The Incredible Melting Man!

Pretty sure I'm a Columbo autist guys

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I remember one episode where Columbo was sure that a big building contractor buried someone at a construction site that was about to be filled with cement. He had the building stopped to get crews in to excavate where he thought the body was, but it wasn't there. It's one of the few times I remember seeing him frustrated and not just having the flashes of righteous indignation sometimes. I might be hazy on those details though.

You're forgetting the details.

The guy was trying to trick Columbo into thinking he hid the body there, so that he would put all that effort and money into digging the site up, and embarrass himself completely in the public eye at great expense, so that Columbo would be forced by the city to stop pestering him. Then he was going to dispose of the body there and have the cement fill up the site again, knowing that there would be no way anyone would get permission to look there again.

But Columbo knew that he was being tricked, and also knew that this was the only way the guy would bring the body out of it's hiding place, so he just pretended to fall for it and get frustrated.

Don't worry, the episode still ends with Columbo getting to make a smug face at a rich murderer who thought he would get away with it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

kuddles posted:

You're forgetting the details.

The guy was trying to trick Columbo into thinking he hid the body there, so that he would put all that effort and money into digging the site up, and embarrass himself completely in the public eye at great expense, so that Columbo would be forced by the city to stop pestering him. Then he was going to dispose of the body there and have the cement fill up the site again, knowing that there would be no way anyone would get permission to look there again.

But Columbo knew that he was being tricked, and also knew that this was the only way the guy would bring the body out of it's hiding place, so he just pretended to fall for it and get frustrated.

Don't worry, the episode still ends with Columbo getting to make a smug face at a rich murderer who thought he would get away with it.

Ah, that's right. drat, Columbo. You're more inscrutable than I thought!

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Poop

Barnum Brown Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 12, 2016

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

_

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I think one of the weirder things about the show is that all of columbos wardrobe was actually Peter Faulks clothes from home. he just usually went around looking like a hobo detective

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

And yet Mrs. Columbo with Captain Janeway was no good.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 12, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

djwetmouse posted:

And yet Mrs. Columbo with Captain Laneway was no good.

I never heard of this until this thread so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

djwetmouse posted:

And yet Mrs. Columbo with Captain Janeway was no good.

It was her favorite holodeck program

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Snark posted:

YESSSSSSS^^^^^

I remember him furiously slamming his fists on the desk Leonard Nimoy: Murdering Heart Surgeon. He was more pissed than I've even seen him.

That was a great episode: Columbo comes out and accuses the doctor that he thinks something is up, and then....well, I won't ruin it, but it's one of the best endings of a Columbo episode ever. I caught the ending and the way it was handled was just fantastic. Not as great as 'Any Port in a Storm,' but fantastic nevertheless. Also, am I the only one who gets a kick out of the ending of that Roddy McDowall one where he's a oil company genius with a knack for explosives? The ending for that was quite good as well where Columbo was just smooth as hell.

And honestly, I don't think Columbo was putting on an act as much as he was using his innate ability to annoy. The guy is brilliant but he's naturally a schlub: his old car, his outfit, his dog....he doesn't have to put on airs or prove anything. He's nothing but brutally honest. I never took him for making up bits and parts about his family, I just thought he worked it into the act. He's good at reading people and so he takes them off-guard by being his own self. And while he's happy at the end for getting the mystery solved, it's not a matter of ego for him, it's a chess match that he's happy he won. I think that's why he's really stayed in the public's mind for so long: if he was a jerk about it, nobody would care for him being smug. But he's not some mastermind putting on an act, he's just a schlubby guy who knows human nature very well. That's what makes him so interesting: the same guy who can figure out a complex murder is also the guy you would find at a diner trying to figure out if he ordered the chili or not.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Billy Connolly was in an episode of Columbo as an orchestra conductor that murdered someone or other.

I haven't seen the full episode, I have only seen the end, and I was surprised to see Billy Connolly as I didn't think he was famous in America until he took over Head Of The Class.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I enjoyed hearing Columbo talk about his wife that we never saw

there was a pilot of Mrs columbo don't ya know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPclZ0cNgA

and holy gently caress it was janeway lol

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gender illusionist posted:

there was a pilot of Mrs columbo don't ya know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPclZ0cNgA

and holy gently caress it was janeway lol

VOYAGER has been lost in space for a long time, Captain Janeway can spend her time in the holodeck as she pleases.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Hector Beerlioz posted:

VOYAGER has been lost in space for a long time, Captain Janeway can spend her time in the holodeck as she pleases.

yeah, it's less weird than what the rest of them get up to in there. hell, i'd lke to be mrs columbo :)

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
I just remembered the ep where the murderer is a super healthy guy who owns a chain of gyms. You get a big ol slice of the fitness trends of the 70s. Wheat germ, dudes lifting weights in thick gray sweatshirts, and everyone on treadmills secured to the machine by that awkward belt lest they fly off the back

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think that's why he's really stayed in the public's mind for so long: if he was a jerk about it, nobody would care for him being smug.
I especially appreciate that now because the current trend of the House/Sherlock brilliant antisocial hypercompetent rear end in a top hat is starting to wear thin

Columbo ruled because he would slowly drive some condescending murdering prick into a frothy rage and then completely disarm them by apologizing.

I GROW TIRED IF YOUR BUMBLING ANTICS COLUMBO

*throws up arms*
Yer absolutely right and I can see you're under a lot of stress. Ya know mrs Columbo tells me I can be annoying too so don't worry I'll show my self out

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Snark posted:

I just remembered the ep where the murderer is a super healthy guy who owns a chain of gyms. You get a big ol slice of the fitness trends of the 70s. Wheat germ, dudes lifting weights in thick gray sweatshirts, and everyone on treadmills secured to the machine by that awkward belt lest they fly off the back

I love how each episode Columbo explains in such detail that a 2nd grader could understand it how the central piece of mcguffin technology works. Like, you get a lesson on electric typewrites or touch-tone phones. It's great!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Snark posted:

I especially appreciate that now because the current trend of the House/Sherlock brilliant antisocial hypercompetent rear end in a top hat is starting to wear thin

Columbo ruled because he would slowly drive some condescending murdering prick into a frothy rage and then completely disarm them by apologizing.

*throws up arms*
Yer absolutely right and I can see you're under a lot of stress. Ya know mrs Columbo tells me I can be annoying too so don't worry I'll show my self out

just one more thing though sir if you don't mind, see I just can't stop thinking about it...

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Snark posted:

It was also always a highlight when he would tell the murderer he knows they did it, he just needs to prove it before he arrests them. All pretence of niceness gone.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Columbo owns.

My fave episode is probably the one set in the nerd club where he actually can't work out how the guy committed a certain part of the crime so he just irritates and annoys him enough to where the murderer actually just completely snaps and goes "NO THIS IS WHAT A GENIUS MURDERER WOULD'VE DONE" and then grins like an idiot before Columbo just arrests him.

Also has anyone watched Furuhata Ninzaburo? Apparently it's like some Japanese version of Columbo, even down to the celebrity suspects (with Chairman Kaga being one of them).

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I love how each episode Columbo explains in such detail that a 2nd grader could understand it how the central piece of mcguffin technology works. Like, you get a lesson on electric typewrites or touch-tone phones. It's great!

There was even one where they explained how speed cameras worked when the perp had someone in a mask of his own face deliberately get caught speeding to provide an alibi.

Columbo is a Sunday afternoon staple in our house.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I have the DVD box set. It's got like three episodes of Mrs. Columbo on it. They're bad.

They never made a final episode but I read somewhere that it was gonna be about Columbo solving a murder on a reality show. So, yeah, that's weird.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I liked the episode with the IRA dude smuggling in guns. He'd notch a whisky bottle with his diamond ring and drink only that much of the bottle. "To here and no more".

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Coldumbo is ok i guess

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Who would win in a fight between Columbo and Quincy M.E. is what i want to know

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I liked the episode with the IRA dude smuggling in guns. He'd notch a whisky bottle with his diamond ring and drink only that much of the bottle. "To here and no more".

That was the last episode of 70's Columbo, the best Columbo.

OK, some of the 80's / 90's episodes were OK. Some.

There used to be a youtube comparing William Shatner's faked 911 call from the 90's Columbo episode he was in to his real 911 call when he found his wife drowned in the pool. Gone now it seems.

On the Port in the Storm episode, the wine that Columbo picks that was exposed to high heat is a port. Port is a sweet wine fortified with brandy, which means it's pretty much already oxidized. In other words, it's really tough to wreck a bottle of port by exposing it to heat like you would with regular wine (which develops a flat and unpleasant "stewed" kind of taste). When Donald Pleasence says something along the lines of "I'm about only one in three people in the world who could have told you that wine was spoiled" he wasn't kidding.

The other thing about the Port in the Storm episode is it was filmed before the Judgement of Paris, which means at the time it aired people knew about California wine, but not widely, and the wine world didn't consider it to be on the same level as French wine. (In other words, no one in their right mind in the early 70's would spend something like $100 on a bottle of California wine, whereas nowadays there are tons of so called "cult" California wines, such as Screaming Eagle that today usually sells for over $3,000 a bottle and takes the average person well over a decade just to get on their offering list to buy direct from the winery.)

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 13, 2016

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Doug Sisk posted:

I want to know why the Blu Ray version of columbo was released in Japan but nowhere else.

I would guess because it would cost them too much to make an English edition and they don't think enough people will buy it. Disc sales have been decreasing in recent years in favor of streaming.

The Japan Blu-Rays are new HD transfers and they are the source material for Netflix, other streaming, and HD airings.

Columbo is really popular in Japan, I'm guessing because he is very much in line with their bureaucracy... "Don't worry about us, we are no threat, we are your friends! This is just a formality, nothing to worry about!" That was pretty much Japanese policy in WWII. You even see that sort of thing in Yakuza movies like Outrage / Outrage 2.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Columbo is poo poo.
First, you know who the murderer is, which defeats the point of a loving cop show.
Second, he's a cop, hes meant to do cop poo poo. And tards think he's amazing just because he asked cop questions like 'where were you...'.
Third, it's not a loving super power to remember poo poo what other people said the day before.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Oberleutnant posted:

Who would win in a fight between Columbo and Quincy M.E. is what i want to know

Quincy would kick one eye's rear end every time, and still have time to 'Cosby' a woman 1/3rd of his age on his lovely boat afterwards.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Snark posted:

*throws up arms*
The best episodes are the ones that end with Columbo trying to incriminate him, and the guy, so overwhelmed with anger at being antagonized by a bumbling idiot, shows how Columbo's theory is completely stupid and wrong, which in turn makes him actually incriminate himself.

Of course, that also means in real life half of Columbo's cases would get thrown out of court. "Well judge, I don't have any real evidence, but I did trick him into confessing after I planted fake evidence."

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

happyhippy posted:

Columbo is poo poo.
First, you know who the murderer is, which defeats the point of a loving cop show.
Second, he's a cop, hes meant to do cop poo poo. And tards think he's amazing just because he asked cop questions like 'where were you...'.
Third, it's not a loving super power to remember poo poo what other people said the day before.

I think showing the murder is what makes it so good, as in it's a cat and mouse game instead of a whodunit

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Minimalist Program posted:

Columbo is my favourite TV show and I'm not lying or being ironic.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I had some long flights recently and they had Columbo on the inflight entertainment... I watched it for hours until I passed out.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

kuddles posted:

Of course, that also means in real life half of Columbo's cases would get thrown out of court. "Well judge, I don't have any real evidence, but I did trick him into confessing after I planted fake evidence."
Ya thats why I don't think a modern reboot would work. All of the murderers would lawyer up instantly.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Columbo is poo poo.

I've never wanted anybody drowned in port so badly in my life

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I haven't seen Columbo but I've watched The Cheap Detective a million times, y'all should see that (late 70's Neil Simon parody of Casablanca/Maltese Falcon with Peter Falk, Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn and a bunch of other famous people.) Anyway that's all I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
T J Hooker was better.

• Locked thread