Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
God Columbo is so awesome.

One of my favorite scenes in all of television is the opener to an episode where they are in a school and the dean is kind of laying into him about how lazy his kid (it seems like !!!) is, but they're actually just ripping on the dog.

I might go as Columbo for Halloween this year. Gotta work on my lazy eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I too am a lazy millenial and the few times that Columbo has come up in discussion with people over 50, the older person is amazed that I've even heard of Columbo, let alone that I like it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I too am a lazy millenial and the few times that Columbo has come up in discussion with people over 50, the older person is amazed that I've even heard of Columbo, let alone that I like it.

Haha, I spent a good half hour with my friend's mom one time chatting about Columbo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

hexenmexen posted:

And in all the Halloween movies he is stuck either waiting in the bushes or hitchhiking.

drat that Pewmaman!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
We were binge watching Columbo and found out a bunch of my friends had never watched it. So we had them over and had a Columbo party. We watched the next episode in the queue, and it ended up being some BORING episode with computers or a tv station or something. It had like thirty minutes of a CRT monitor making shapes, it was probably amazing back in 1950 or whatever, but all my friends fell asleep watching it and it was so embarrassing.

Also, I don't believe there's a Mrs. Columbo. It's pretty clear he's a single crazy person living in a studio apartment and she's just a construct he uses for solving crimes.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Are you sure you were watching Columbo instead of the title sequence for Halloween 3: season of the witch?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Also, I don't believe there's a Mrs. Columbo. It's pretty clear he's a single crazy person living in a studio apartment and she's just a construct he uses for solving crimes.
Sorry it's cannon. Though technicaly she only talks about Columbo so they could both be delusional.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

lol if you think columbo doesnt live in his car, just lol

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

We were binge watching Columbo and found out a bunch of my friends had never watched it. So we had them over and had a Columbo party. We watched the next episode in the queue, and it ended up being some BORING episode with computers or a tv station or something. It had like thirty minutes of a CRT monitor making shapes, it was probably amazing back in 1950 or whatever, but all my friends fell asleep watching it and it was so embarrassing.

Making the Perfect Murder. Watched that one yesterday, haha. Yeah that scene was p boring, but I thought it was a good one over all.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its a special car, its french

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he talks to her on the phone when no one else was in the room during the wine episode. he tried unsuccessfully to learn what day they had gone out for a picnic. if his wife isnt real, he fakes it for more for himself than for murder investigations.

i think that pretending that mrs. columbo doesnt exist would make more sense, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

djwetmouse posted:

Sorry it's cannon. Though technicaly she only talks about Columbo so they could both be delusional.

Where is the canonical proof that she's real? She's never in a single ep, right?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Where is the canonical proof that she's real? She's never in a single ep, right?

Weird most of my post was missing.
http://www.imdb.com/find?ref_=nv_sr_fn&q=mrs+columbo&s=all
Though Columbo never appears on that series so they both could be delusional.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like his nephew who does needle point to calm himself before his bodybuilding contests.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Serious Frolicking posted:

he talks to her on the phone when no one else was in the room during the wine episode. he tried unsuccessfully to learn what day they had gone out for a picnic. if his wife isnt real, he fakes it for more for himself than for murder investigations.

i think that pretending that mrs. columbo doesnt exist would make more sense, though.

True, but this could have been to cover his rear end if Carsini came out of the cellar since the cellar door was open and he may have overheard Columbo. Also, Carsini's secretary was in the next room. But that definitely gave me pause too since he's not really within earshot of anyone as far as we can tell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

True, but this could have been to cover his rear end if Carsini came out of the cellar since the cellar door was open and he may have overheard Columbo. Also, Carsini's secretary was in the next room. But that definitely gave me pause too since he's not really within earshot of anyone as far as we can tell.

he could have been talking to anyone, but he actually wanted to know what day that picnic happened on because his entire investigation hinged on the date of that unseasonably hot day. like, why pretend to be talking to his wife about something that innocuous? thats the act of a compulsive liar, which i dont think fits columbo at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also i really like how he finds suspects by pointing out inconsistencies and then pressing the people who defend their version of events when they should have no reason to do so.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love how he gets people to help him 'investigate' the whole time thinking 'lol you dumb fucker, your interest in the case just makes me positive you're the murderer I was suspecting and now I'm going to trip you right the gently caress up.'

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Yo, I'm a now a Colum-bro (just made that up! Woah! Haha!!) because of this thread.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rasta_Al posted:

Yo, I'm a now a Colum-bro (just made that up! Woah! Haha!!) because of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Columbo is the first thing my Kindle predicts I'm typing when I type in a capital C. True Story.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Columbo is the first thing my Kindle predicts I'm typing when I type in a capital C. True Story.

Not Cock?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Remember when Columbo met Robby the Robot

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
was that the episode with the autistic home security designer?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

happyhippy posted:

First, you know who the murderer is, which defeats the point of a loving cop show.

By that logic Alfred Hitchcock was a lovely director.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

was that the episode with the autistic home security designer?

Nuclear war simulation programmer or something like that. It also has a genius kid who programs Robbie

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rasta_Al posted:

I smell a new gang tag

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

happyhippy posted:

Columbo is poo poo.
First, you know who the murderer is, which defeats the point of a loving cop show.

praxis posted:

By that logic Alfred Hitchcock was a lovely director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xs111uH9ss

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol if you think columbo doesnt live in his car, just lol

He tricked a guy into planting evidence in his apartment once. It looked exactly like you'd expect. It had like a chair in it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What the gently caress happened to Robbie's legs

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Exactly. I read an interview where Hitchcock said it's the difference between having a bomb blow up and kill everyone or revealing to the audience at the beginning that a bomb is going to go off if someone doesn't stop it.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

He tricked a guy into planting evidence in his apartment once. It looked exactly like you'd expect. It had like a chair in it.

That wasn't Columbo's actual apartment. He rented it specifically to catch this guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well that is an impeccable fake. no one would ever doubt that columbo really lived there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's Mrs. Columbo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

armchair DAs who have no idea about poo poo lmao

if you walk into a police station and confess to a murder they're not going to be like 'well poo poo we didn't read you your rights first guess you're free to go...'

You only need to be mirandized if you being questioned in a formal setting and you definitely don't need to be mirandized to answer the kinds of basic questions Columbo asks 95% of the time.

actually its because columbo's solutions are all based on circumstancial evidence, and spergs intentionally harassing the suspect into confessing to a crime that they might not have even commit, just to get him to stop

in Columbo's case the only reason he wins is because he manages to guilt the suspect into confessing, without the confession nothing holds up in court

neither of those make the shows any less entertaining to watch, just something worth talkin' aboot

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Has anyone ever watched those "Don't talk to police" youtube vids?

All the murderers have to do is not talk to Columbo and just say "I have nothing to say". :D

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

i just watched that ep recently. thats the one where he sets up the cop, right?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maldoror posted:

Has anyone ever watched those "Don't talk to police" youtube vids?

All the murderers have to do is not talk to Columbo and just say "I have nothing to say". :D

"Oh i understand sir, blah blah blah" he will annoy them to death unless they start talking. The rich jerks he investigates dont have the patience for that kind of treatment

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Heh yeah that was the other episode I had in mind when I was talking about how they used pointless musical filler. It didn't even make sense. Colombo randomly slapping buttons in a production booth making oscilloscope images dance around and play a jaunty tune while Columbo is all :allears:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched Double Exposure yesterday, and it's probably one of the more patently ridiculous episodes I've seen. Subliminal cuts!

Also, arguing over whether or not Columbo's methods or findings would hold up in the real world is far spergier than any of Columbo's behavior. It's a TV show jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched Double Exposure yesterday, and it's probably one of the more patently ridiculous episodes I've seen. Subliminal cuts!

Also, arguing over whether or not Columbo's methods or findings would hold up in the real world is far spergier than any of Columbo's behavior. It's a TV show jesus christ

nobody has actually said it hurts the shows, people just like talking about things

I mean, we the omnipresent viewer know that they are guilty and should be ok with them incriminating themselves, its just a neat thought experiment to consider if you never saw the suspects' actions.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 17, 2016

• Locked thread