Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Professor Shark posted:

If you want to see a good example of a show like MSW done right, the BBC's Hercule Poirot is both the best Mystery and, at least for the early seasons, one of the best comedies of the 90's, if only because there were exactly 3 good jokes per season

The episode where Hastings wants to take a crack at solving a mystery on his own and how it played out was amazing. Both Murder She Wrote and Poirot are really good, but I think a Touch Of Cloth goes a bit deeper into the psychology of crime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOnQG-ZYyM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Cubone posted:

im glad this is on netflix because every time i catch it on tv all the commercials are targeted at old people. "are you dying? did you get tricked by a dog food company? would you like to see where they buried jesus?"

"How would you like a catheter that you can stick up your dickhole with up to 5% less pain and discomfort?!"

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Jessica Fletcher is a real socialite. In every episode she personally knows someone.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Not lying, I am a big fan of Murder She Wrote, when I was unemployed and got up at 2pm it was on.

Everyone thinks each episode is standalone, but no, it has small sub story threads throughout it.

For example a cop in one episode that helps Jessica solves poo poo, is the murderer in the next episode.

Also, good rule of thumb, the 1st Passive Aggressive person is meant to make you think he/she is the murderer, the 2nds one you see usually is.

Also 'Hey I read your books!' isn't the murderer.

Nor is anyone related to her.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I saw a re-run episode with Bruce Jenner and it felt weird IDK.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is that the same as "Agatha Chritie's Poirot"? i know they did a ton of different media with his character.

also early poirot owned but the later stuff is weirdly intense. dont know what the changing point was (maybe the source material i guess).

also tim curry was in an episode

Yeah, same show, and I completely agree with you about the series shifting from a quaint, quirky little well done show into a melodramatic mess. IIRC the show switched to a different production company, so we got circling shots of Poirot monologuing about the nature if evil. Murder on the Orient Express and Labours were terrible for this

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, same show, and I completely agree with you about the series shifting from a quaint, quirky little well done show into a melodramatic mess. IIRC the show switched to a different production company, so we got circling shots of Poirot monologuing about the nature if evil. Murder on the Orient Express and Labours were terrible for this

They also started to change the plots themselves to accommodate more and more drama. I remember some episode's reveal being changed from your typical upper crust Poirot murder to a weirdly shoved-in Forbidden Gay Love Murder-Suicide type deal that just felt insanely weird in the context. Also, this started to be a constant thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFzABv0xMU

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
So, how many seasons should I watch before Poirot turns bad?

Incidentally, I think it's a common problem of a lot of BBC shows that at some point they desperately try to be edgy and topical, which usually means that they lose their initial charm.

That's why "Life on Mars" was so good. It was over before it was able to introduce tedious subplots.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ibogaine posted:

Incidentally, I think it's a common problem of a lot of BBC shows that at some point they desperately try to be edgy and topical, which usually means that they lose their initial charm.

That's why "Life on Mars" was so good. It was over before it was able to introduce tedious subplots.

Poieot never turns bad. It hkust changes. Wathx it all and make up your ow. .jbd.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ibogaine posted:

Poieot never turns bad. It hkust changes. Wathx it all and make up your ow. .jbd.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
reruns of that loving show will probably exist until the heat death of the universe

as the universe collapses on itself, cabbot cove will finally find peace.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I dunno I think the internal conflict they add in Murder on the Orient Express is a pretty good change. It definitely strikes me as out of character in the book that he just kinda smirks and says 'You killed this guy but it was righteous so I won't tell' at the very end. I suppose that could be because I saw the show before I ever read the books.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Really we should be discussing Miss Marple since she is kinda like Jessica Fletcher, except really lame.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there any 90's shows that are similar to MSW or Poirot? I need something quiet and boring to help fall asleep to when I'm out of beer

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

Are there any 90's shows that are similar to MSW or Poirot? I need something quiet and boring to help fall asleep to when I'm out of beer

Jonathan Creek fits the bill, I think. It's quite entertaining and humorous, and the cases are usually interesting.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Professor Shark posted:

Check out Inspector Morse

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There's always DIAGNOSIS: MURDER

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Cadfael is a medivel monk Poirot.
Midsomer Murders is probably most like MSW, as all the murders happen in a small posh place in England.
Dalziel and Pascoe is a lower class version of Midsomer Murders.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Touch of Frost is like Murder She Wrote in that the protagonist is an annoying short ugly old person.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

A Touch of Frost is like Murder She Wrote in that the protagonist is an annoying short ugly old person.

You are hereby banned from this thread Jerry Cotton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh and Vera is even more like Murder She Wrote because the protagonist is an annoying short ugly old woman with a voice that makes you want to murder someone yourself. But it's not 90s I think?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Dorothy L. Sayers Mystery featuring Lord Peter Wimsey is very much like Poirot because it's a gay guy solving crimes with the help of his boyfriend in England like 100 years ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hope all these help :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Murder She Wrote is on TV right now. I'm not sure 2:30 is the best time for such a show though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Murder She Wrote is on TV right now. I'm not sure 2:30 is the best time for such a show though.

That's dinner time for old people

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I used to watch Murder She Wrote and other mystery shows all the time with my mom. I love a good murder mystery show.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is that the same as "Agatha Chritie's Poirot"? i know they did a ton of different media with his character.

also early poirot owned but the later stuff is weirdly intense. dont know what the changing point was (maybe the source material i guess).

also tim curry was in an episode

Agreed. I mostly enjoy the earlier Poirot when they still had Hastings and Miss Lemon. The multi episode storyline with the alphabet killer was great.

I really enjoyed the newer Miss Marple series. My mom said she had to stop watching it because there were "too many lesbians". There happened to be 2 episodes back to back early in the season that featured lesbians. I think they were the second and third episodes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Cadfael is a medivel monk Poirot.
Midsomer Murders is probably most like MSW, as all the murders happen in a small posh place in England.
Dalziel and Pascoe is a lower class version of Midsomer Murders.
If I like The Name of the Rose will I like Cadfael?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Poirot, he is wondering, why OP recommends Murder She Wrote when it is known to all that this show is, how you say, gay trash, when compared with Poirot's show? And then, ah! It is fortunate he has had a fish breakfast, and Poirot wonders more: why is OP so fat and gay, eh?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I will have you know that I love Poirot as much as I love anyone except maybe Rebus, and I fully admit he is better and cooler than Jessica Fletcher in every way.

This thread was just to let everyone know that Murder, She Wrote is better than Columbo.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Can this replace Krusty steak as the new thing that gets posted in every thread? Because it owns.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
Spoiler alert:

She wrote murder

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Poirot, he is wondering, why OP recommends Murder She Wrote when it is known to all that this show is, how you say, gay trash, when compared with Poirot's show? And then, ah! It is fortunate he has had a fish breakfast, and Poirot wonders more: why does the OP make Poirot nauseous? Alas, Poirot has but one flaw - the allergy of the human being.

Did the obvious fix there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And before some dumb-rear end probates me, it's loving canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjkNSUZ7TA

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5czCiOpsk

Lol if this wasn't part of your childhood's background music

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWwAWbZlmyo

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Oh Jerry Cotton, you're good people.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5czCiOpsk

Shame on you for not posting the 2-hour loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSQIx8lt0Y

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

:negative:

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Murder she wrote was the best part of being home sick (except for the price is right, duh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of childhood, this was of course the ultimate detective TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ikxZoItP0

• Locked thread