Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Americans never have realized that the murder mystery show is the only thing that has kept European TV going for all these years. (It's a good way to psychoanalyze the poo poo out of your own complacent but still somehow inadequate society.) If you want to really get into it, try the Swedish ones. A deep deconstruction of the welfare state combined with amazing skill for good filmography is really the best thing, everyone should be watching Beck movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't that the show about the small town that has tons of murders happening constantly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Naxuz posted:

Americans never have realized that the murder mystery show is the only thing that has kept European TV going for all these years. (It's a good way to psychoanalyze the poo poo out of your own complacent but still somehow inadequate society.) If you want to really get into it, try the Swedish ones. A deep deconstruction of the welfare state combined with amazing skill for good filmography is really the best thing, everyone should be watching Beck movies.

I read somewhere that Germany has one of the largest TV fiction industries in the world but that might've been old news. A lot of German crime shows aren't murder mysteries but police procedurals though.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My wife listens to Murder, She Wrote with a little bluetooth earbud every night while going to sleep. Every night. For 9 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Naxuz posted:

Swedish

Also that one constantly coked-up actor is in every one of them in some role.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Naxuz posted:

The BBC's Wallander is the best thing on tv.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's weird because here if a popular American show is on TV on a commercial channel, one of the state-run channels usually buys the rights and airs the original European/Asian/whatever show which is always better (and doesn't have commercial breaks obviously).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I also like the Danish version of The Killing though I only saw the first season. I understand the later seasons did 10 episodes instead of 20 which was probably a good move. As good as the first season was there were too many fakeouts and cliffhangers.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Goddamn, I grew up on this show. Between this, Magnum P.I, and Columbo I was set.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I watched two episodes tonight. It's such a good show, so much better than Columbo, and I'm not even saying that ironically.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

OctoberBlues posted:

I watched two episodes tonight. It's such a good show, so much better than Columbo, and I'm not even saying that ironically.

Just one more thing, sir.

Do you think the show gets better or worse when it moves to NYC?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Kilo147 posted:

Just one more thing, sir.

Do you think the show gets better or worse when it moves to NYC?

I don't even remember those episodes?! Apparently it caused the ratings to go up, were they actually good??

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of childhood, this was of course the ultimate detective TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ikxZoItP0

I agree. It's really good, which is even more surprising considering how crap most of the popular culture was in post-war Germany. (I mean, Peter loving Kraus was considered the German Elvis, for crying out loud!).

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I love MSW--I love gentle murder mysteries and this one reminds me of being a little kid and those pleasant evenings when I'd watch TV at my Nana's house.

I also remember watching Father Dowling, but I never hear anything about that one anymore--was it actually any good?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nessa posted:

Agreed. I mostly enjoy the earlier Poirot when they still had Hastings and Miss Lemon.

Yeah Hastings and Lemon were great and allowed for some of the more subtly hilarious scenes. To be fair to the series, Lemon was in very few of the books iirc and they made her character much better in the show. Hastings also disappeared eventually because Christie started to hate Poirot and took his friends away.

I'm reading Black Coffee right now, it's too bad they didn't include it in the series early on. To be honest, they should have done as many episodes as they could early on, because the last 5 seasons are so over-the-top stylized and melodramatic that they lost all the charm of the early episodes, which were fantastic :(

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

I love murder she wrote my favourite thing is seeing at least half the cast of star trek voyager and ds9 acting in it looking all 90s

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah MSW was even better than L&O for low level actor appearances

Poirot had Michael Fassbender and Brody from Homeland, as well as the bald Dr Who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ibogaine posted:

I agree. It's really good, which is even more surprising considering how crap most of the popular culture was in post-war Germany. (I mean, Peter loving Kraus was considered the German Elvis, for crying out loud!).

Well better Peter Kraus than Rock-Jerry or Little Gerhard.

• Locked thread