Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

witness whiteboard coding in front of the jury, one juror has head in her hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i don't think Google has a chance in hell of getting fair use but hearing about the trial idiocy is quite fun.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

anthonypants posted:

amazingly enough the judge does, and if the appeals court knew anything they wouldn't have decided he was wrong and sent the case back to him
you have it backwards. the judge ruled that apis aren't copyrightable, and the appeals court overruled him to say they were

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't think Google has a chance in hell of getting fair use but hearing about the trial idiocy is quite fun.

they certainly won't if they don't actually bother to make a fair use argument at some point

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

you have it backwards. the judge ruled that apis aren't copyrightable, and the appeals court overruled him to say they were
what part of that is backwards

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

what part of that is backwards

the judge does not believe in the fundamental premise of the case he is ruling on. you said that he does.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
random tweets are ok but has anyone published the transcript yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i can't get transcripts, but there is this order that came out today

quote:

To accommodate the press, counsel shall each place five thumb drives containing copies of any trial exhibits they used (and for Monday, all prior exhibits as well) in the press room on the eighteenth floor after trial adjourns each day. (Alternatively, the parties may collaborate to provide a joint compilation on one set of five thumb drives.) Exceptions can be made in extraordinary circumstances. To be clear, the parties need not provide copies of electronic devices, books, or other cumbersome exhibits or exhibits that are not easily conveyed in a digital format.
Members of the press are expected to share this resource and to leave the thumb drives in the press room for retrieval by the parties.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 14, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the northern district of california restricts access to transcripts for the first 90 days so i can't just pull them up on pacer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

the judge does not believe in the fundamental premise of the case he is ruling on. you said that he does.
whoops, i misread the post i quoted. i thought they were asking if anyone understood the premise, my bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the thing is, apis should be protected in some way. the best way we have to handle that right now is copyright. goog is gonna lose hard on this and it's their own drat fault. they had legal avenues that would have arrived at the same end result but deliberately chose not to.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Mr. Nice! posted:

the thing is, apis should be protected in some way.

:wrong:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

the judge set out to learn java just for this case. so he should be able to complete typing in an API without suffering an RSI, but would he recognize a bad programming language with its bad syntax if he saw one? i think not. i'd trust his opinions on API Design as much as i'd entrust a meal to a cook with no taste

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/xor/status/731282545682210816

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

I'm not sure anyone in the room actually believes the fundamental premise that this lawsuit is founded on, which is that APIs are actually copyrightable

but that's what the law was determined to be, so here we are

this is the standard reductionist misunderstanding of the law, it is not an enumeration of what categories of things are copyrightable, it lists often deliberately vague criterias on which to judge it

obviously an api *can* be protected by copyright (they may at the very least indirectly encode a lot of the details about a much broader work), and equally obviously *most* apis certainly aren't sufficiently elaborate works that they deserve it (the case here i expect most people, including me, feel)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I mean no one on that hey is going to understand anything, it's about whether they like computer autists or blood-sucking lawyers more

could go either way really because people don't much like either

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Google has rested its case

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

Google has rested its case

did they ever really present a fair use defense?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

did they ever really present a fair use defense?

they kinda touched on a few parts of one today

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
did anyone bring up that sun sued Microsoft for the same thing and won?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

everything about this case is super dumb

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm happy to have found out that writing method signatures is like playing the violin though

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hopefully the judge will make the correct decision and dissolve both companies and imprison their senior leadership

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don't know why y'all keep bringing up the judge, this is a jury trial.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the judges middle name is haskell btw

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stymie posted:

hopefully the judge will make the correct decision and dissolve both companies and imprison their senior leadership

happy cultural revolution day, everyone!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

did anyone bring up that sun sued Microsoft for the same thing and won?

wasn't it more because Microsoft was trying their Embrace, Extend, Extinguish thing with Java by adding proprietary poo poo and introducing subtle incompatibilities, and Sun pulled their license over it? Or at least their license to call it Java?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doc Block posted:

wasn't it more because Microsoft was trying their Embrace, Extend, Extinguish thing with Java by adding proprietary poo poo and introducing subtle incompatibilities, and Sun pulled their license over it? Or at least their license to call it Java?

+5, insightful

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there was nothing subtle about the incompatibility, delegates generated .class files with incompatible byte code

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao google https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/732584341168001024

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the legal contortions both sides are pulling here (much moreso Oracle) are goddamn hilarious.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

:pusheen:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

it was because of the incompatibilities which is one part of the oracle v goog suit. goog is trying to argue sun (who owned java at the time) was ok w/ partial implementations but clearly they weren't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Iridium posted:

the legal contortions both sides are pulling here (much moreso Oracle) are goddamn hilarious.

oracle isn't doing anything crazy. their position is 100% supported by statute and case law. Google was loving stupid and had a host of legal avenues to accomplish their goal and explicitly chose against pursuing any of them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah oracle is 100% correct here

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

google was a deliberate bad actor with shaky legal claims from the onset.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
when you have emails being passed around going, 'couldn't sun sue us for this?' 'nah they won't have the balls lol' you sort of lose a lot of escape avenues

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they litterrally thought "its better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission" was a viable legal strategy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Necc0 posted:

when you have emails being passed around going, 'couldn't sun sue us for this?' 'nah they won't have the balls lol' you sort of lose a lot of escape avenues

p much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jury trial was probably a mistake tho. they're gonna decide on brand loyalty.

• Locked thread