Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pham Nuwen posted:

I need a couple feet each of at least 3 different sized hoses. I'm also trying to figure out why the lines at the rear have that mesh outer coating... is it to prevent the line from breaking if a rock gets kicked up?
Yes, you are correct. Those are wear sleeves for abrasion. Hose is cheap, I'd buy a 10' roll of each size (or whatever it comes in) and spare the poor bastard behind the counter the effort and likelihood of loving up and charging you inflated prices for cutting to size.

quote:

I'll probably buy a roll of vacuum line, though, since it seems to be the same size in most places. Edit: a roll of vacuum line to replace vacuum lines, not fuel lines, c'mon people.
As you know vacuum hose is not fuel hose, HOWEVER, some fuel hose is perfectly fine as a vacuum line. If you buy it in a pack it might even say its PSI/"Hg rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gates hose usually has its psi rating printed directly on it. :teach:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There's a check valve on the return line. Is this strictly necessary? I can't find a replacement, and if the existing one has gone bad it seems like it would be better to go without rather than use a broken valve that e.g. blocks all flow.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You could probably just replace it with any fuel check valve of the same inlet/outlet diameter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nubile Hillock posted:

You could probably just replace it with any fuel check valve of the same inlet/outlet diameter.

I tested it by blowing through both sides... Air flows in one direction only. Seems like it still works.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Score! Always nice when there's one less thing to replace.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Update: I've been in Italy for the last week+ so nothing has been happening. I return soon and progress will resume.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What part of Italy? Whole drat country is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9RX0mBZ0HA

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What part of Italy? Whole drat country is great.

I love Italy because the whole drat country feels like it should fall apart, but it never does.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Shampoo posted:

I love Italy because the whole drat country feels like it should fall apart, but it never does.

People have probably been saying that for 1600 years

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shampoo posted:

Driving in Italy is the same way. It shouldn't work, there should be accidents everywhere, nobody will stay in a lane, but somehow it all just works.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Quick Italy story, then I'm done with the derail:

When my wife and I were flying out of fiumicino she had a ton of little ceramic tiles from the Amalfi coast in her carry-on. We didn't check them because A: we had no more room because booze and B: she's been in Italy before, she didn't want them smashed. I got through security first and was watching the security lady watch the X-ray screen. I saw her backpack go by, and naturally there are a TON of little dark circles and squares from the tile, but they looked a little sketchy on the monitor. The woman did a double take, rolled the conveyor back, looked again, then shrugged her shoulders and said "eh" and passed it on through.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shampoo posted:

Quick Italy story, then I'm done with the derail:

When my wife and I were flying out of fiumicino she had a ton of little ceramic tiles from the Amalfi coast in her carry-on. We didn't check them because A: we had no more room because booze and B: she's been in Italy before, she didn't want them smashed. I got through security first and was watching the security lady watch the X-ray screen. I saw her backpack go by, and naturally there are a TON of little dark circles and squares from the tile, but they looked a little sketchy on the monitor. The woman did a double take, rolled the conveyor back, looked again, then shrugged her shoulders and said "eh" and passed it on through.

When we flew into Milan the customs/immigration desk was unoccupied except for a sign saying effectively "back in 15"

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Yesssss. I am watching this thread with great interest.

Let me know if you need any 280ZX parts. I've been stockpiling them for almost ten years :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ironblock posted:

Yesssss. I am watching this thread with great interest.

Let me know if you need any 280ZX parts. I've been stockpiling them for almost ten years :v:

Nice... Could use a rearview mirror for reasons the first post should make abundantly clear :haw:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nice... Could use a rearview mirror for reasons the first post should make abundantly clear :haw:

Hmm. We only have one car with a red interior, and I'm not sure if it's got spares. If you don't care about the color, I've got a black one (which you could always Duplicolor spray red if you care).

Also now that I'm properly caught up on your thread, it's a good thing that you were able to save the gas cap. As you might have been able to tell, it's a weird design specific to this car, and since it's not covered by a flap, there's no $2 Stant down at your local AutoZone that Just Works™. I lost one of the caps to a ZX Turbo by leaving it on top of the :krad: louvers and driving off, and then discovered that you have to go somewhere like MSA to get a new one. In fact, looking this up made me mad because they used to be like $85 so I was collecting them from every Pick N Pull I went to.

Anyways MSA is great, and I also recommend Black Dragon for interior stuff and Z Car Source for the "right" version of something.

fake edit: PS let me know when you're ready to swap in an L28ET with a massive turbo :getin:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pissssssss:

Pictured: my new fuel pump, and the new fuel line coming from my gas tank. With the filter, I haven't been able to get it to connect without bending the fuel line so much that I'd be worried about flow or eventual breakage.

Do they make 90 degree fuel filters for cars?

I've already moved the fuel pump as far to the side in the bracket as I feel comfortable. The curved shield thingy is removable, and in fact I was wondering why it's even there since it's not angled correctly to protect the fuel line from rocks flying up or anything... if I remove it, I might be able to get enough gentle curve to hook it all up. As you can see I've already trimmed away most of the fuel-pump side of the line in an attempt to make it work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Assuming that's the discharge side don't be stuck on putting it there, you can put it anywhere. Also, if that's the discharge side is it rated for enough pressure and do you want a plastic body filter that close to the rear wheels? Is it exposed to any debris there?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Assuming that's the discharge side don't be stuck on putting it there, you can put it anywhere. Also, if that's the discharge side is it rated for enough pressure and do you want a plastic body filter that close to the rear wheels? Is it exposed to any debris there?

It's the pickup side, there's another filter (pressure rated) way up by the engine.

The problem is I had to discard the filter on the in-tank intake (see pictures up thread) so I want to put something here to avoid ruining my fuel pump.

Edit: as for debris, I thought I'd wire / zip-tie some mesh around the area to protect it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It looks like that pump has a threaded barb fitting on it. Put an elbow there.
e: Pull out that fitting with the hex on it, replace it with either a 90 or a 90 barb.

I'd rather a metal body inline filter than a piece of mesh around this, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

It looks like that pump has a threaded barb fitting on it. Put an elbow there.
e: Pull out that fitting with the hex on it, replace it with either a 90 or a 90 barb.

I'd rather a metal body inline filter than a piece of mesh around this, but I guess it's better than nothing.

I think in order to get it connected with a 90 on the pump, I'll need to remove that little shield thing, to get the fuel filter far enough back to make the connection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can you not just remove the barb (arrow) and put in the 90? It looks far enough back from the photo to not interfere with the shield..?

Or, worse case, but a 90 barb in the hose, but that looks amateur

e: OOH, I think I see what you mean. Yeah, the filter won't literally fit under the shield where that line is.

If there is nowhere else to put the filter, yeah, look for a filter with a 90. They exist. And try to find one with a metal body.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 25, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do they make 90 degree fuel filters for cars?
I know you are in the US, but yes you can get fuel filters with 90 degree outlets

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/part/index/part/Z174K

There's probably an American equivalent of Ryco filters

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mercedes+W123+Diesel+Fuel+Filter+Primary+Replacement/22553

Would something like that work? Looks like something you would be able to find inexpensively.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Keep in mind you want something unrestrictive before the fuel pump. Holley recommends 10 microns with their pumps, but you can hit in that region pretty easy. Wix part number 33481 is a metal filter with a 4 micron rating and a m16x1.5 thread female inlet and outlet on each end. Find some barb fittings that get you lined up and you should be good to go.

Also, that ryco filter crosses to a wix (oreillys and napa) part number 33087, but its a 5/16ths nipple on each end, unsure about the micron rating.

Edit: I will freely admit that I'm gay for wix since they have an awesome illustrated catalog at work.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 25, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wix makes good filters.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I hit up the biggest Napa in town and they didn't have a right angle filter or a 90 degree fitting for the pump, so I decided gently caress it, I'll just make a loop to get it connected. Bought another foot of fuel line and a steel filter.

I'd like to do something cleaner eventually but right now I just want the fucker running. The tank is pretty clean but not perfect, so I expect I may have to change the filter in a while anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IT RAN!

I finished up the fuel system and put in two gallons of gas. Then I replaced cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

It started on the first try.

I then shut it off immediately because I haven't changed the oil or coolant yet... The existing oil seemed oily enough to run for a few seconds though so I took a chance.

Really drat excited. Next up: fluids, vacuum lines, tires. Needs new shocks at some point but I want to just get it the 3 miles to my new house first.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know people slam the old jetronic EFI systems but in those things it really is a workhorse and the L-series is super robust.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQGBvWpZdE8

That's post-oil change.

I think the next thing to fix is the clutch. It doesn't return when pressed, it just stays on the floor. If I pull it up by hand, it will stay. slidebite, any thoughts? Do I need to bleed it? I thought if there was air in the line, it would be really hard to press the pedal, not really easy.

I checked and both springs seem to be in place. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1982/1982%20280zx%20FSM/cl.pdf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Negative, air in clutch lines feels like it's pretty dead and just not hooked up to anything except maybe the return spring until it comes on to actual Clutch Pressure over an inch or so of travel, then feels like a normal clutch rest of the way, at least in my numerous experiences with blowing every component of the clutch circuit in my 240sx.

What I would do is watch the slave cylinder arm at the same time that you're slowly pushing the clutch. They should have a linear relationship.
(didnt you pick up an inspection camera?)

$5 on the clutch lines being dry and because of this air has hosed the slave cylinder seals at least, possibly master. I'd replace at least the slave and possibly also the master before I started worrying about actual clutch issues

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 26, 2016

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I agree with Jonny 290. Any time I've had a slave cylinder die the pedal always stuck to the floor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My money would be on the slave and/or master. You might be able to get a reman unit for cheap which I would recommend over rebuilding yourself.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm seeing slave and master cylinders for under $20 each on Amazon. Any reason not to buy these or something like it?

https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-072-1191-Clutch-Cylinder/dp/B000CAVUR0/

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-CM39275-Clutch-Master-Cylinder/dp/B001PYG2D4/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nope that is exactly what you should do.
e: Don't forget to check the condition of your lines while you're at it and invite a "friend" over for the enjoyable bleeding process.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I checked both of those and they're on rockauto too, so I went ahead and got them from Amazon so I get 2-day shipping.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

This loving rocks.

Also I can't help you on the clutch front as I'm a firm supporter of the cable clutch :colbert:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Congrats on the start, that's awesome!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jesus, I just destroyed my neck crawling around in the footwell of this car trying to get the pin back through the clutch pedal.

My neck is absurdly stiff but at least I've got the new master cylinder in. Slave cylinder once I can turn my head again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I gave myself a mild hernia replacing the exact same slave cylinder, but on my 240sx. Leverage is hard! (dont try to replace it without jacking up the car, as i did)

• Locked thread