Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VladimirBox
Oct 21, 2010
So good, in fact, that I have developed a very high tolerance for the nice booze. I work a really stressful job, stressful in the "I'm going in to work today and someone may stab me to death before the day is out," fashion. I've been on the sauce every day now for 7 months. Soon though, I'm going to have a nice baby, and I don't want my life, and the child's life, to be about how drunk I am all the time. What is the best way to not die from the DTs? I've been drinking between 6 and 10 beers every night for 7 months. The only day I didn't drink was because I had a rifle qualification the next day and shaky hands are not good for gun shooting. So I laid in bed for hours and felt like I was going to throw up all over the place and got hot flashes. How do I handle this? Should I try and taper off? I work a second shift sort of job and cant stand the idea of just watching tv until I am ready to go to sleep, which used to be about 4 in the morning. I'm alone most of the time and I don't remember what to do at night that doesn't revolve around getting knee walking drunk. Thank you in advance, you monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

quit your job!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Probably try tapering. Or you can suck it up and get some benzos from a doctor but that goes on your record.

Edit: Found a whole thing on tapering, http://www.hamsnetwork.org/taper/. Good luck dude.

Falun Bong Refugee fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 12, 2016

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Start using opiates to fall asleep

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
drink more

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

try yoga

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
7 months lol

For like a week drink half the previous's night intake until you hit 1 beer then the next day just drink 0

You will need actual willpower and desire to do this. Don't half-rear end it, don't make excuses

6-10 probably isn't enough to trigger the shakes if you went cold turkey unless you've been drinking like 12%++ beers. So you're probably freaking yourself out over nothing, and this is also, if you're being honest with yourself, probably a strategy to go "It's too hard to quit drinking" and continue on along the path you're on

Good luck goon

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Edit: Found a whole thing on tapering, http://www.hamsnetwork.org/taper/. Good luck dude.

This is good listen to this and follow it

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao that u consider 6-10 beers a night "really good at drinking". maybe stiop being a pussy and pop a xanny if ur too big a bitch for life

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lol, I'm really good a drinking guys, I can put down upwards of 10 beers a night!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
A few cool things to keep in mind

1. Being "good at drinking" actually sucks hard you don't get to have as much fun as other people, it's expensive, and it quickly becomes miserable boring and causes health problems

2. Even if you're having trouble tapering off or cutting off completely you can at least cut back to drinking only on the weekends or something. Go with one or two nights a week without any alcohol and eventually work your way back down to a sensible schedule. This, again, will require willpower and committment

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What does good at drinking mean in this context. ten beers every night is like two and a half cases a week which seems insNe

VladimirBox
Oct 21, 2010
I keep myself at about 10 beers. I seem to find willpower on beer 10. I can keep drinking until it's all gone when I'm in the mood. An 18 pack or a whole bottle has not been out of the question before I realized where I was headed. I figured out that I was going the wrong way when I started waking up after 10 or more and feeling fine. I know in the grand scheme of goon alcoholism, I''m not near touching bottom.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

have you tried not being a baby?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
First, cut your beers then get to the good stuff: State-governed moonshine!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
We got at this in a thread in TGD - Seems a better place to have your thread as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765731

IMO, you're not too deep in. I doubt you'd have much trouble with a managed taper over a week.

I'm still struggling, and the health effects are mounting. Be careful.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

VladimirBox posted:

I keep myself at about 10 beers. I seem to find willpower on beer 10. I can keep drinking until it's all gone when I'm in the mood. An 18 pack or a whole bottle has not been out of the question before I realized where I was headed. I figured out that I was going the wrong way when I started waking up after 10 or more and feeling fine. I know in the grand scheme of goon alcoholism, I''m not near touching bottom.

i cant pee that much man

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

If you start a thread with "so" just kill yourself for fucks sake

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
i like to drink lots of beers and spirits

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dynastocles posted:

quit your job!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
ive got a "chronic illness"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VladimirBox posted:

So good, in fact, that I have developed a very high tolerance for the nice booze. I work a really stressful job, stressful in the "I'm going in to work today and someone may stab me to death before the day is out," fashion. I've been on the sauce every day now for 7 months. Soon though, I'm going to have a nice baby, and I don't want my life, and the child's life, to be about how drunk I am all the time. What is the best way to not die from the DTs? I've been drinking between 6 and 10 beers every night for 7 months. The only day I didn't drink was because I had a rifle qualification the next day and shaky hands are not good for gun shooting. So I laid in bed for hours and felt like I was going to throw up all over the place and got hot flashes. How do I handle this? Should I try and taper off? I work a second shift sort of job and cant stand the idea of just watching tv until I am ready to go to sleep, which used to be about 4 in the morning. I'm alone most of the time and I don't remember what to do at night that doesn't revolve around getting knee walking drunk. Thank you in advance, you monsters.

im not like you i take night off night on but night on, im about 24 drinks in and im blasted. its pretty lol. hehehe. peace out, jabroni. your kid will be a nobel laureate, yeh in sucking. haha. peace

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

ive got a "chronic illness"

my chest pains are nonfatal but symptomatic of something

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

my chest pains are nonfatal but symptomatic of something

im blessed that up till now everything in my life has been nonfatal

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

im blessed that up till now everything in my life has been nonfatal

my heart sometime feels like the changepurse of a paranoid jew

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
or like a dumpling rolled by a paranoid jew

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
or a chinamans bagel

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
you should get a golden heart of the finest craftsmanship

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Lol. When I stopped drinking I had a series of massive seizures that led to 3 weeks in a comatose state, because I had been drinking a liter of vodka a day. Go call your momma about your 6-8 beers a day.

Actually, just taper like everyone else said. Detoxing on your own is miserable as hell, probably the worst feeling I've ever had. If I had I could have saved myself a hell of a hospital stay. Benzos do help like you wouldn't believe, although it sounds like you consider yourself an alcoholic so be careful popping pills.

Best of luck!

ps: trust me on this: after a while being sober stops being so drat boring. Pot helps.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

Lol. When I stopped drinking I had a series of massive seizures that led to 3 weeks in a comatose state, because I had been drinking a liter of vodka a day. Go call your momma about your 6-8 beers a day.

Actually, just taper like everyone else said. Detoxing on your own is miserable as hell, probably the worst feeling I've ever had. If I had I could have saved myself a hell of a hospital stay. Benzos do help like you wouldn't believe, although it sounds like you consider yourself an alcoholic so be careful popping pills.

Best of luck!

ps: trust me on this: after a while being sober stops being so drat boring. Pot helps.

did u get chest pains

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Orkin Mang posted:

did u get chest pains

None that I recall, but that whole day was pretty hazy. Shakes, profuse vomiting and a very distinct type of light-headedness, that sort of thing. I did have a heart attack while I was comatose, but that was later explained to be from a congenital heart defect exacerbated by the alcoholic withdrawal.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Best of luck!

i just started tapering and it sucks. drug and alcohol people want me to get off booze and benzos at the same time and my doctor thinks i should stay on the benzos, if only there were more fo them

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
haha this guy thinks theyre good at drinking, I'M good at drinkng . 6-10 beers a night how about 6 thousand

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stay hydra

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

None that I recall, but that whole day was pretty hazy. Shakes, profuse vomiting and a very distinct type of light-headedness, that sort of thing. I did have a heart attack while I was comatose, but that was later explained to be from a congenital heart defect exacerbated by the alcoholic withdrawal.

:/ i see

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
all my organs are perfect except in the 2 hours after i get up my lungs really got alot to say

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

all my organs are perfect except in the 2 hours after i get up my lungs really got alot to say

i have a 'cardiac' issue. hahaha. but whatever

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

i want to drink more but i cant be hosed moving. you understand my dillema,

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Uhm, you're not a cop, right op?!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

i want to drink more but i cant be hosed moving. you understand my dillema,

sometimes ithink this then im kind of blacked out for a minute and i got a brand new drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

Uhm, you're not a cop, right op?!

i have a picture of me in a cop uniform but its an actual cops uniform i dont know where it came from so we better just keep this on the down low

• Locked thread