Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Director David Simon brought us The Wire, widely regarded as one of the finest TV shows ever made. But another creation of his, Treme, is often overlooked or simply not known by many people. It depicts the aftermath of post-Katrina in New Orleans and highlights the vibrancy and resiliency of the beautiful city of New Orleans and fantastic for education of black culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrO7ISerVf8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I was there in November and New Orleans is kind of a shithole. I went to one bar that had a malt liquor on tap though, that was cool. The food actually is good.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New Orleans is exactly like New York in that the only people that give a gently caress about it in any way at all are the self centered cunts that live there. Everyone else is getting on with their normie rear end life because you're city is nothing more than 10 pictures in a Facebook album and one really bad memory

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
heysoos kristos

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Too slow with no resolution beyond "poo poo sucks, but that's how we do" which kinda describes the show.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
*two minute long guest performance with primary actor stating how fire this set is*

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Americans jealous of the one city in the U.S. that has a unique culture ITT

Yes OP, Treme was actually legit good. Made me want to go to House of Dance & Feathers when I was in NOLA but it was closed.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Too slow with no resolution beyond "poo poo sucks, but that's how we do" which kinda describes the show.

suckin'& fuckin'

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Anything with Kim Dickens is good

Well, almost everything

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
treem

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Dely Apple posted:

Anything with Kim Dickens is good

Well, almost everything

how did she get suckered into fear the walking dead?

i hope the bucks were worth it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it was an ok show.

but if the wire is up here:

then treme is somewhere down here.

PS. gently caress new orleans, gently caress their "culture" nobody finds it interesting at all i certainly dont give a flying gently caress about them sewing indian costumes for 50% of the show. so you wanna be an indian too huh? poor and black and made homeless by natural disaster coupled with government incompetency and generally not giving a gently caress about you because youre poor and black wasnt enough?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

thathonkey posted:

PS. gently caress new orleans, gently caress their "culture" nobody finds it interesting at all i certainly dont give a flying gently caress about them sewing indian costumes for 50% of the show. so you wanna be an indian too huh? poor and black and made homeless by natural disaster coupled with government incompetency and generally not giving a gently caress about you because youre poor and black wasnt enough?

Yeh. The woeful under representation of white people really turned me off of the show too, thathonkey.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeh. The woeful under representation of white people really turned me off of the show too, thathonkey.

not sure you can read or comprehend the point i was making but that reminds me it's also funny that they actually still managed to make at least half the characters white if not more

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

thathonkey posted:

not sure you can read or comprehend the point i was making but that reminds me it's also funny that they actually still managed to make at least half the characters white if not more

Yeah. I wasn't serious. You username just goes well with accusations of racism, is all.

Plus I was going for backhanded self deprecation, since there was no shortage of white people, even though there probably should have been.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i wanna make babies with the chick that plays the violin

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah. I wasn't serious. You username just goes well with accusations of racism, is all.

Plus I was going for backhanded self deprecation, since there was no shortage of white people, even though there probably should have been.

sorry, it's early, i'm a sputtering idiot before i've had my meth fix

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the best character is that goofy rear end white boy (not the drug addict guy) who thinks he is the cultural guardian of new orleans etc

even though the actor annoys me i thought his character was good because i know some white people from new orleans or that "rebased" (ie. moved) there and claim to be from new orleans and act just like him even though they have contributed 0 to the culture other than planting their white rear end in a mostly black neighborhood. not sure if that lack of authenticity was intentional part on the writers or if they really thought he was a righteous character but it worked out well for me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

thathonkey posted:

the best character is that goofy rear end white boy (not the drug addict guy) who thinks he is the cultural guardian of new orleans etc

even though the actor annoys me i thought his character was good because i know some white people from new orleans or that "rebased" (ie. moved) there and claim to be from new orleans and act just like him. not sure if that lack of authenticity was intentional part on the writers or if they really thought he was a righteous character but it worked out well for me.

Best character because he was so perfectly annoying that he convinced me to not take a chance on the show midway through the first episode.

I ended up watching Deadwood again a few more times instead. Thanks Treme!

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
isnt bunk from the wire in this, ive always thought about watching it but it seems sort of slow and boring

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

isnt bunk from the wire in this, ive always thought about watching it but it seems sort of slow and boring

yeah as is lester. tons of HBO shows have the same actors.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Why isn't this in tviv?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thathonkey posted:

even though the actor annoys me i thought his character was good because i know some white people from new orleans or that "rebased" (ie. moved) there and claim to be from new orleans and act just like him even though they have contributed 0 to the culture other than planting their white rear end in a mostly black neighborhood. not sure if that lack of authenticity was intentional part on the writers or if they really thought he was a righteous character but it worked out well for me.

I always assumed he was supoosed to be a buffoon

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the casting was so good in treme. all the main characters were great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
spoiler alert: John Goodman commits suicide in the season 1 finale.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I kind of thought it was over appreciated in the sense that critics said it was really good but it wasn't very enjoyable to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

NotWearingPants posted:

I kind of thought it was over appreciated in the sense that critics said it was really good but it wasn't very enjoyable to watch.

Watching paint dry is more enjoyable than Treme. Added bonus: paint is never going to randomly kill itself by slipping its fat rear end into the sea.

• Locked thread