Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw
$500 dollars
and then 40 bucks for games like this LOL

Remember when some goons were saying that it was gonna be big a few months ago despite all facts being it wouldn't be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

actually i think they're different like one goes on your head and one doesn't

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

actually i think they're different like one goes on your head and one doesn't

but they both belong in the garbage.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure it will be at least as successful as the virtual boy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
it'll flop once people realize that one more exotic toy is still not enough to fill the void in their soul created be modern society

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Full disclosure: OP is a Microsoft employee working on the Hololens

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
VOUYA!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rutibex posted:

it'll flop once people realize that one more exotic toy is still not enough to fill the void in their soul created be modern society

Someone post the walrus leg man comic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
BE THE BIRD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLHIusLWOc

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Some Gizmodo "journalist" got pinkeye at PAX after trying out a VR headset.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Be careful not to immerse yourself too deeply into The Matrix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E42mNt_vsz8

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I think it may survive and grow as a platform but I've seen quite a few reviewers be like 'most of the games aren't great' or that they are gimmicky. Think Jeff from GB said it already felt like VR came and went.

It is reminding me of the Wii currently. Just way more expensive.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Some Gizmodo "journalist" got pinkeye at PAX after trying out a VR headset.

He was not worthy

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The Google cardboard apps were fun to use, despite being a total gimmick. The expensive VR is basically Wii games with a mouse attached to your head to function for looking in the game.

EDIT: Virtual Boy had a class-action lawsuit because it gave a bunch of kids glasses. LOL

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Wii was an enormous success and did a great job at penetrating markets which traditionally don't buy a lot of games.

This is nothing like the Wii.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Microwaves Mom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw
$500 dollars
and then 40 bucks for games like this LOL

Remember when some goons were saying that it was gonna be big a few months ago despite all facts being it wouldn't be?

haha youre getting old

lol if you think this wont be part of everybody's lives every year going forward. kids willl be going by on their turbo bikes drooling into their full body VR suits and the OP will be some naked old idiot on the porch jerking off and scowling at everyone cause nobody can see him

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Honestly even the sex games look kind of lame and those are probably the ones that make the best use of the tech - largely fixed in place and with complex 3d scenes hard to fit into a single camera angle

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
can you touch the anime boobs yet?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Rutibex posted:

Tbf im pretty sure that the soul void wasn't created by modern society, it was always there but everyone apart from royalty was just trying not to die so they didn't notice so much

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

chaosbreather posted:

Tbf im pretty sure that the soul void wasn't created by modern society, it was always there but everyone apart from royalty was just trying not to die so they didn't notice so much

Not really. See: living your life surrounded by family and childhood friends as part of a community bound by strong shared identity and religion vs. living as an atomized economic labor unit constantly shunted around the country with limited personal interactions beyond a strict and regimented workplace

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cubone posted:

can you touch the anime boobs yet?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghJS2FYDA9U

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Remember when stereoscopic 3D gaming was supposed to be the next thing four years ago?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Hell, the nintendo name is the only thing keeping motion controls alive.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

Not really. See: living your life surrounded by family and childhood friends as part of a community bound by strong shared identity and religion vs. living as an atomized economic labor unit constantly shunted around the country with limited personal interactions beyond a strict and regimented workplace

Sounds like you just want to live with your folks, nobody stopping you from doing that.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Airborne Viking posted:

Remember when stereoscopic 3D gaming was supposed to be the next thing four years ago?

That was the loving worst.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

VR is gonna be kinda cool for racing and flying games.... but that's about it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Noyemi K posted:

That was the loving worst.

Seriously who even bought those stupid 3d tvs

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

error1 posted:

Full disclosure: OP is a Microsoft employee working on the Hololens

god I wish. I would just sit in my chair all day spinning around and posting on SA making six figures for doing dick all.

Blackfyre posted:

I think it may survive and grow as a platform but I've seen quite a few reviewers be like 'most of the games aren't great' or that they are gimmicky. Think Jeff from GB said it already felt like VR came and went.

It is reminding me of the Wii currently. Just way more expensive.

In order for it to be good. you have to spend several thousand dollars more on one of those treadmill things.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

same idiots who bought VR stuff

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Be careful not to immerse yourself too deeply into The Matrix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E42mNt_vsz8

That's what you get when you hang out with Krusty the Clown

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hemale in pain posted:

same idiots who bought VR stuff

Please everyone else also pray for the megaquake

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mange Mite posted:

I did, but only because it was on sale for cheaper than a comparable non-3D tv

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

when i was a kid i got a vhs tape of magic eye puzzles so ya i guess we were always doomed to genetically drift into autism

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

VR is cool in my opinion but it belong to some kind of "arcade" kinda place then a home setup.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I have to say DOOM is looking awful. I'm watching it on twitch right now at https://www.twitch.tv/amazongames and holy poo poo no good music, it looks like a bland generic FPS.

I know its not VR but it looks terrible.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

My parents got one, though I don't think they ever even took the goggles out if the box. My dad is the kind of guy who buys the HDTV package and TV then watches SD broadcasts stretched out to 16:9.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

social vegan posted:

when i was a kid i got a vhs tape of magic eye puzzles so ya i guess we were always doomed to genetically drift into autism

magic eye is the only true 3d

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

My parents got one, though I don't think they ever even took the goggles out if the box. My dad is the kind of guy who buys the HDTV package and TV then watches SD broadcasts stretched out to 16:9.

That's a classic dad move

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Haier posted:

The Google cardboard apps were fun to use, despite being a total gimmick. The expensive VR is basically Wii games with a mouse attached to your head to function for looking in the game.

I remember back when I was in college I saw some homebrew hacks using the Wii for head-tracking

in that case you'd be playing on a regular TV screen, you'd be wearing a smaller equivalent of the Wii sensor bar on your head, and there'd be a Wiimote sitting under your TV pointed at you, and you could move your head around to look

and I think you'd be using another wiimote/sensor bar combo to control your "gun"

• Locked thread