Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

how do you do foreign keys in excel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you know you can just save it all to csv and probably load it into an sqlite db in about 5 seconds right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql express is fully featured sql server w/ a 10gb/db limit. its real good for small timey personal things

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

postgres

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

sql express is fully featured sql server w/ a 10gb/db limit. its real good for small timey personal things

sql express train directly into my ballsack

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

but there are better dbs out there that don't have limits and run non-poo poo-tier OSes that don't require you to buy expensive licenses

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

akadajet posted:

but there are better dbs out there that don't have limits and run non-poo poo-tier OSes that don't require you to buy expensive licenses

for example

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

for example

your mother

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i mean if you're making some awful hobbyist website then you can easily get away with mysql or even sqlite, or basically loving anything since it doesn't matter

but if you care about enterprise features for example not complete dog poo poo replication and failover then you should be seriously considering investing some money into what's going to be one of the most critical technologies in your business

and microsoft is putting sql server on linux soon anyway so the windows requirement won't even be a thing eventually

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

no there aren't

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ok so he was talking about personal project things anyway but since there's no reason to use mysql in the real world then you're should probably learn how to make dbs the correct way, else you may as well just check plaintext csv files into svn because who cares

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres also mssql embedded which is weird and doesn't have stored procs so its not very good.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

so it's at least equally as useful as mysql

nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the other cool thing w/ sql express is once u decide to upgrade to a licensed version you just stick the license in there and it magically turns into that version.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

one thing that annoys me about sql server is SSMS 2014 is horse poo poo and doesn't save connection parameters in the dialog box so the program disconnects from the DB every 5 minutes and you have to type out the loving connection string again.

SSMS 2016 fixed that though so once again SQL server is the best

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

one thing that annoys me about sql server is SSMS 2014 is horse poo poo and doesn't save connection parameters in the dialog box so the program disconnects from the DB every 5 minutes and you have to type out the loving connection string again.

.csv files don't need connection strings and as such are superior

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qhat posted:

doesn't do that on my pc.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

doesn't do that on my pc.

we use multisubnetfailover and idk if you use that but apparently it's a known problem, since without that option half of the connection attempts will just fail. they should just do the logical thing and have that setting as a checkbox somewhere like in visual studio, but they don't so idk. at least the connection parameters are actually saved between connection attempts now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no we aren't doing multi subnet failover.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

the other cool thing w/ sql express is once u decide to upgrade to a licensed version you just stick the license in there and it magically turns into that version.

lol so it's like a 200mb download with a fragile installer, instead of a tiny library like sqlite3, gg msft

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you want an embedded db you can use sql embedded which is the equivalent of sqllite. sql express is a real db and has all the features of fully licensed sql server which is why u download everything.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

our oracle "dba" contractors are claiming you can't "trust" rman backups and that we have to also stop the db's to do a cold file capture every week. I suspect they are idiots.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Percona-Server-server-57-5.7.11-4.1.el7.x86_64.rpm

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

why can you not trust the tool that has been provided by the exact same company that creates the database

apart from the fact that that company happens to be oracle

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

qhat posted:

why can you not trust the tool that has been provided by the exact same company that creates the database

apart from the fact that that company happens to be oracle

I believe this is due to: a furious waving of hands. but if anyone has info on exactly how the oracle vss writer service works and how to control it, I would appreciate it. because our DBAs don't know poo poo and the thing ends up consuming all memory until the system deadlocks

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
didn't you mention shitcanning a 45k "dba" not too long ago? because i think the rest of them could use the same treatment. being able to do backups of the db you maintain is kind of a pretty basic+important skill imo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

YeOldeButchere posted:

didn't you mention shitcanning a 45k "dba" not too long ago? because i think the rest of them could use the same treatment. being able to do backups of the db you maintain is kind of a pretty basic+important skill imo

these are contractors but yeah, its awful and I hate everyone involved. we should be paying someone a bajillion dollars a month to host oracle db's for us because our in house people don't know what the gently caress and I'm touching the poop as little as possible

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's cool how you can make a boatload of money while knowing next to nothing about your primary trade

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

contracting sounds like an awesome racket and I should get on it for megabuxxx, yes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have a consultant with us right now whos contracted for 6 months cause hes actually really goddamned good. first consultant I've ever met who knew what he was doing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Contractors who know what they're doing are the dumb ones because it means that they weren't smart enough to get a job with free training that is just over their head enough to not get fired. I'm pretty smart, so you'll never catch me working a job where I'm totally qualified.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I bet shaggar is good at his job lol...

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

we have a consultant with us right now whos contracted for 6 months cause hes actually really goddamned good. first consultant I've ever met who knew what he was doing.

this is how i imagined it should be, you pay more money and you get someone who can do the job right now. evidently not though.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oracle dbas are garbage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

oracle dbas are garbage

you say this while Tori is on probation? Coward. Bitch.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

a lot of them are really bad, like amazingly so

this doesn't mean they ALL are, but holy poo poo some of them cling to some really dumb ideas they picked up out of a readme.txt file they read back in '98 and think of it as the unchanging word of god

Thats called The Bible.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive used rman before. even in the cli and not the gui one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
YOSPOS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zen death robot posted:

The Bible didn't tell them it was OK to set the systems max shared memory size to be absolute maximum a 64 bit OS would ever allow and go hog wild with SGA sizes and then bitch to me that the storage speeds are loving trash because they're swapping the loving DB cache out to disk constantly like a bunch of loving idiots/

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zen death robot posted:

I mentioned they could just allow orcale to automatically handle the memory management and they argued with me that there's a "bug" that wouldn't allow them to use more memory than existed on the system.

Lmao

• Locked thread