Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive used rman before. even in the cli and not the gui one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
YOSPOS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zen death robot posted:

The Bible didn't tell them it was OK to set the systems max shared memory size to be absolute maximum a 64 bit OS would ever allow and go hog wild with SGA sizes and then bitch to me that the storage speeds are loving trash because they're swapping the loving DB cache out to disk constantly like a bunch of loving idiots/

Lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zen death robot posted:

I mentioned they could just allow orcale to automatically handle the memory management and they argued with me that there's a "bug" that wouldn't allow them to use more memory than existed on the system.

Lmao

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Idk is Oracle one of those DB that expects you to start loving around with resource and memory management? I know some of our systems guys do that for Vertica but still end up blocking users out of the clusters when some team runs a huge data load.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

zen death robot posted:

HP Nonstop SQL

nice

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

zen death robot posted:

I mentioned they could just allow orcale to automatically handle the memory management and they argued with me that there's a "bug" that wouldn't allow them to use more memory than existed on the system.

me in a room full of postgres people arguing to vacuum full a table with 99.99999% bloat like 140GB vs 16mb

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qhat posted:

Idk is Oracle one of those DB that expects you to start loving around with resource and memory management? I know some of our systems guys do that for Vertica but still end up blocking users out of the clusters when some team runs a huge data load.

for any serious application, yeah, that's my understanding. you can tune the poo poo out of an oracle db if you really want to

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zen death robot posted:

oh yeah when you've got a huge DB and you're concerned about every bit of performance you can get you need to

Is this the sort of thing that sounds interesting because I don't know anything about it orrrrrr

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
just use postgres because you aren't a dba at a fortune 100. and even if you are, probably still use postgres. h t h

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just use postgres because you aren't a dba at a fortune 100. and even if you are, probably still use postgres. h t h

just remember it's a multi-value so uh there is no speed advantage to update in place :shrug:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

berkeley db op

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

zen death robot posted:

oh yeah when you've got a huge DB and you're concerned about every bit of performance you can get you need to

when it's test/dev and the dba's are low rent and don't know what they're doing unless they've got a howto explicitly spelling it out it's probably better to just let it do its own thing

also oracle on Windows is awfullllll

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

I didn't post the Nonstop SQL thing as a joke, we actually have some customers that demand that kinda poo poo

It's loving overkill and expensive as gently caress, but hey they're paying us so whatever

they don't want their data to ever stop

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

you know you can just save it all to csv and probably load it into an sqlite db in about 5 seconds right

business people can't edit it then though!!! or put hosed up references to random sheets in

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oracle for the extreme loss

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

Oracle for the extreme loss
its actually real good aside from a few weird design decisions like no boolean/bit datatype

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

and the weird alternative join notation

apart from that its great to develop on

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

zen death robot posted:

I didn't post the Nonstop SQL thing as a joke, we actually have some customers that demand that kinda poo poo

It's loving overkill and expensive as gently caress, but hey they're paying us so whatever

is nonstop sql distributed across datacenters? because my favorite in that category is google's f1 which is a sql db with synchronous multi-datacenter replication they use for their ads backend

"oh, the us west coast just fell into the sea? whatever, no biggie, we got 3 datacenters left so it's all good. gotta keep those ad dollars flowing!"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sql server can do that also

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

YeOldeButchere posted:

is nonstop sql distributed across datacenters? because my favorite in that category is google's f1 which is a sql db with synchronous multi-datacenter replication they use for their ads backend

quote:

"oh, the us west coast just fell into the sea? whatever, no biggie, we got 3 datacenters left so it's all good. gotta keep those ad dollars flowing!"

the story i know about nonstop machines is a probably non-existent moment when tandem got a weird support call

"hi, there was a car bomb outside and our machine has fallen over"

"oh. right. i'm not sure what to do about restarting after a bomb"

"no, it fell on it's side, it is still running, we want to know if it's safe to move it"

tef fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 18, 2016

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

zen death robot posted:

sounds about right, the only reason to get one is because you never ever ever ever want an outage even in case of nuclear war

the old tech reports are rad http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/tandem/

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/tandem/TR-85.7.html ahem

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"Why Do Computers Stop and What Can Be Done About It?" Lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i remember reading this a while ago. the key thing to take away from this is that the most common source of errors is fleshy imperfect meatbags and we need to get rid of them asap

the dbas mentioned in this thread seem to corroborate that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

YeOldeButchere posted:

i remember reading this a while ago. the key thing to take away from this is that the most common source of errors is fleshy imperfect meatbags and we need to get rid of them asap

the dbas mentioned in this thread seem to corroborate that

yeah but then you're using an ORM, or worse, stuffing machine-generated JSON dumps into mysql/postgres/mongo without regard for internal schema

it will then be irreducably complex and youll find your colleagues have become Young DB Creationists

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i can see where they're coming from. i've seen db schemas with so much poo poo in them i wouldn't be surprised if they'd been created 6000 years ago

lol at them being intelligently designed though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
im the key value table in your terrible database.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you know, the one that houses all the critical business logic in undocumented string fields

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
schemas and migrations are great when you can do them without downtime

backfilling is pretty much what always happens in practice anyhow with live data

and you end up resolving the ambiguity in the application, as ever

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ask your dba about "the table of numbers"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
here's a database riddle: how do you do PRODUCT(column), i.e c1*c2*c3*c4...

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

very carefully

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

most sql databases are actually good. at least when you compare with the nosql competition

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

tef posted:

schemas and migrations are great when you can do them without downtime

backfilling is pretty much what always happens in practice anyhow with live data

and you end up resolving the ambiguity in the application, as ever

yeah that's why I'm that thing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I really don't want to have to learn SQL but I bet I will have to at some point.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql is great.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

tef posted:

here's a database riddle: how do you do PRODUCT(column), i.e c1*c2*c3*c4...

code:
postgres=# create aggregate product(numeric) (sfunc = numeric_mul, stype = numeric);
CREATE AGGREGATE
postgres=# \timing on
Timing is on.
postgres=# select product(n) from generate_series(1, 100) as n;
                                                                            product                                                                             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 93326215443944152681699238856266700490715968264381621468592963895217599993229915608941463976156518286253697920827223758251185210916864000000000000000000000000
(1 row)

Time: 2.447 ms
:confused:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
nice

the old fashioned way is to do exp(sum(log(col))) :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hahahaha oh man i never would have thought of that, and if i saw it in existing code i wouldn't have understood the purpose either. it's perfect

• Locked thread