Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Lord_Magmar posted:

I vote for Necrophages because they're the race I tried when the game was free and would like to see how they'd actually play out. Also devouring your enemies sounds fun.

TravelLog posted:

Necrophages please!

Awww yis, I'd love to see Necrophages too, especially because I want to see Speedball tackle the absolutely batshit angle these guys have versus the rest of the world. Their diplomacy screens are absolutely insane when they're AI, and though they lack most conventional diplomatic options, they still can tell you just how they see you, kinda like how responses from Civilization leaders would differ depending on trade embargos and longstanding peace between peoples.

Actually, maybe we can see something from Necrophages that isn't sheer military domination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Broken Lords look badass so they have my vote.

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
Allayi are mothmen? Awesome.

I've played heaps of the base game but have not gotten any DLC.
Keen to see what has been added :)

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Necrophages.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The Allayi sound like an interesting mix: they can't afford to turtle, have a good reason to avoid wars before winter, and have an even better reason to go batshit during winter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Allayi simply because I don't have that DLC. This game is awesome, by the way. Alternately, Roving Clans because I have absolutely no loving idea how to play them.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 13, 2016

TicTacOops
May 23, 2014
Cultists because there's simply not enough games with cult management mechanics in them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Allayi simply because I don't have that DLC.

:same: Winter is a neat mechanic but it is also boring and these guys seem cool and new

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Allay!
Don't have the DLC either and they sound pretty interesting

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What a lovely turnout! So far it looks like Allayi are in the lead.

Oh, and I probably won't be updating at my typical breakneck pace I used to, I'm not all better yet, plus I work this weekend, so you all have a few more days to vote. Gonna take this one slow and steady and have fun with it.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Aw yeah, been anticipating this LP for a while.

Let's go with the Broken Lords.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Allayi look pretty interesting!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Speedball posted:

I'm not all better yet

Aw man did something happen? Or is it just the fallout about the big depression you had during the XCOM thread?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Aw man did something happen? Or is it just the fallout about the big depression you had during the XCOM thread?

Yeah, basically. Been running on fumes mentally for months. Just now starting to be functional again, thanks to new therapist and MEDS.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Necrophages sound really cool to watch.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
This is such a charming game.

As for factions, i don't really care overmuch as long as we don't play the wild walkers. But I guess I'll throw in a vote for the Angry Wizards.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know this is a vague non answer, but Whichever Faction traditional 4X players hate to fight most

But it's okay, because you'd be the one playing them. Nevermind that it's single player, you can point out "And for those of you who are terrible at these games, this would REALLY piss off a Civ Player right now"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cultists

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Broken Lords, mostly because they look really cool

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Good game. The whole series as a whole is great and I love how Legend took what is on the surface a fantasy sword-and-sorcery looking civ game and made it into a sci-fi adventure that fits in with their other games. Excellent developers.

I personally really love the Dragons special political powers but Broken Lords are my favorite for plot reasons so go with them.

Edit: Also for frames of reference to the other Endless games the meta plot goes:

Dungeons Of The Endless -> Endless Legend -> Endless Space -> Endless Space 2

Meta plot spoiler time, each race has it's own story as you play the game that is revealed by quests and techs so I won't spoil those
The humans on Auriga being descendants of your characters in Dungeons of the Endless; the Vaulters are the direct descendants who cling to the old ruins of the crashed ship, the Clans are an off-shoot that wandered off to do their own poo poo, the Forgotten are descendants of people cast out of the Vaulters early in history for eeeevilll crimes and forced to live in the harsh alien world without the benefit of familiar technology, the Ardent Mages are descendants of Vaulters and Clanners who learnt how to control Dust to do magic and finally the Mezari are the ancestors of all humans on Aurgia being the literal survivors of Dungeons (don't ask how the handful of playable characters in Dungeons managed to have a whole diverse species descend from them, I imagine there were a bunch of no-names who crashed on the surface while the playable's escape pods ended up in the Dungeons)

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 14, 2016

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Speedball posted:

Yeah, basically. Been running on fumes mentally for months. Just now starting to be functional again, thanks to new therapist and MEDS.

Ahh therapy and MEDS, those helped me a lot back in the day. still on the meds actually, they help like nobody's bussiness.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Oh man I love this game.

Voting for Cultists.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Gridlocked posted:

Dungeons Of The Endless -> Endless Legend -> Endless Space -> Endless Space 2

Meta plot spoiler time, each race has it's own story as you play the game that is revealed by quests and techs so I won't spoil those
The humans on Auriga being descendants of your characters in Dungeons of the Endless; the Vaulters are the direct descendants who cling to the old ruins of the crashed ship, the Clans are an off-shoot that wandered off to do their own poo poo, the Forgotten are descendants of people cast out of the Vaulters early in history for eeeevilll crimes and forced to live in the harsh alien world without the benefit of familiar technology, the Ardent Mages are descendants of Vaulters and Clanners who learnt how to control Dust to do magic and finally the Mezari are the ancestors of all humans on Aurgia being the literal survivors of Dungeons (don't ask how the handful of playable characters in Dungeons managed to have a whole diverse species descend from them, I imagine there were a bunch of no-names who crashed on the surface while the playable's escape pods ended up in the Dungeons)

I vote for anything that lets you fit Wes Davoun into the game. And Rakya Pulmoni. And Elise Ness. But mostly Wes. That said, I'm bolding: Speedball's Choice in case there's a tie or something. I'm too lazy to check.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
I normally play Vaulters, but since they're lagging in votes (and I don't like their story as much) I vote Broken Lords. They're just so COOL and their story is amazingly deep.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I know I'm tremendously outvoted but I like the Drakkhen...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

There's no race of hyperintelligent pugs? Absoute garbage

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Cultists

One city only is the best way to play a Civ game!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Archenteron posted:

There's no race of hyperintelligent pugs? Absoute garbage

Maybe they're the secret masters of the Roving Clans.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Allayi. I've never got the DLC they are in, but they look quite interesting.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
Vaulters. If they were the canon ending, we should see the ending the developers went with for the sequel. Also lets you transition into the sequels if you want to.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Louispul5 posted:

Vaulters. If they were the canon ending, we should see the ending the developers went with for the sequel. Also lets you transition into the sequels if you want to.

this is a prequel, actually; endless space came out first. :eng101:

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Balanced Broken Lords

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Allayi.

Show off that Pearl mechanic, and also one of the better winter races.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the new things you can do with pearls is craft pearl accessories that make the unit immune to winter. Expensive but possibly worth it. So you don't have to hire the winterproof minor factions.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Cultists sound cool!

Interesting how most of the race pictures are more portrait-style with one subject, but the Wild Walkers and Cultist ones are more scenes. Is that big spike on the guy in the right of the Cultist picture an article of clothing, or do the cultists shove cybernetic implants into their converts?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ShiroIchida posted:

Cultists sound cool!

Interesting how most of the race pictures are more portrait-style with one subject, but the Wild Walkers and Cultist ones are more scenes. Is that big spike on the guy in the right of the Cultist picture an article of clothing, or do the cultists shove cybernetic implants into their converts?

That's because I couldn't find clean art of the leader screens for some of them so I used other art. And the Cultists are... Ambiguous. Many of them are indeed robots, but others among them are people who dress up just like the robots.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Endless Legend Pt 2: Go Forth, Young Mothmen!

Okay! The votes were in favor of the Allayi, with Broken Lords and Cultists being runners-up. Good thing I’ve love playing as all of them.

There’s no way I could do the intro to them justice in screenshots, so make sure you watch this amazing intro from the official Youtube channel.

And let’s get started!

The select screen. You can make custom factions too on a point system, and all the various different traits that make up a faction’s abilities and units are listed below, with tooltips explaining them. Each side only gets three native unit types, plus a settler. However, we can upgrade and expand this as we go; there’s always a lot of leeway for every faction in the game despite their specialties.

There’s a lot of different game generation presets available, including some funky ones like “New World” where everyone starts off clumped together on one continent with only basic strategic resources, and the advanced stuff on a distant unpopulated continent. We’re just going to stick to basics for now, but “New World” would be practically cheating for Allayi since they start out able to cross oceans before everyone else.

AAAH! Don’t do that!

Yeah, Drakken start out the game with everyone’s phone number and location marked on the map, so starting a new game with a Drakken player in the mix assaults you with their hello screen before you can even see the terrain.

Get outta here, scale breath!

Are you kidding me?!

One thing I miss from Civ is that it prioritizes making all factions different by default. Well, at least that makes two of our five rivals known.

We start the game with one Army, led by a hero, containing a Settler unit and two of our basic warriors, Seekers. Units stack in this game, a mechanic carried over from Endless Space’s fleet management system.

The glowy things are Ruins, which contain surprises and treasure, but unlike Civ, they don’t disappear when explored and you can’t build over them. Building right next to them is not advised unless you’re playing as Drakken, who generate Influence for doing so.

Here we can see the FIDS, the Food, Industry, Science and Dust of the land. Settling in one spot exploits a tile and all surrounding tiles, and we want at least some of everything. That anomaly to the left there looks tasty.

Anomalies are terrain that have weird properties that boost their FIDS. Sometimes it’s floating rocks, sometimes it’s alien buffalo we can eat, and sometimes it’s glowing moss that makes us trip out and have visions when you eat it. Fun!

And so, our first city is built! All around the city is the “exploitation” radius, which looks like farmlands and such. One thing to note is that, usually, building a city district over the terrain lowers its food value by 1, because you’re paving over stuff, of course. (Broken Lords naturally don’t give a crap about that).

Lot to take in, but I’ll try to explain it. Unlike Civ, the game world is broken up into “regions,” and putting down a city in a region claims the whole thing for yourself. You only pull FIDS from right next to the physical city, but Strategic Resources and Luxury Resources can have a distant extractor built.

The city/region name, and a lot of blanks here. Each region has a Minor Faction, which we haven’t discovered yet, resources which we haven’t discovered yet, and can generate money/science from building roads, which we ALSO don’t have yet. We’ll fill in a lot of those blanks this chapter.

On the left, the city’s happiness level, its population and time to growth, how much money we’re losing a turn to basic maintenance costs, and its security level, which is how likely we are to catch a spy if they try anything in our city. The Roundup Button has us drop everything to try to catch a spy manually, but that halves our Industry for a few turns.

On the right, the FIDS. With an I at the end, for purple Influence. Usually you don’t create Influence except manually and a little bit extra for certain buildings. Think of it like culture points from Civ; you can live without it, but you probably wouldn’t want to.

Also, unlike Civ, we don’t assign a worker to one of the eight tiles around our city. We exploit those naturally and constantly; we manually assign the worker to generate any other FIDSI we want to make up for any shortfall. If we were in the middle of the desert, we’d assign a worker to make food for us to make up for the lack of food, or to Industry to make up for the lack of production.

The Garrison! Right now, it’s automatically filled with three free Militia units, who are cannon fodder, but keep us from instantly losing when the city is attacked. We have four more slots for proper units and can also pull our Hero away from the army to act as a governor for the city.

For now, we’re just going to build this thing, the Founder’s Memorial. You only get one, but it gives you a bit of a boost to everything to get you started. Now, let’s get to the research!

This is radical. Every other 4X game in the universe has research take place on a sort of tree, here it’s a wheel. It’s broken up into six such tech wheels, one for each era, and new eras open up every time we research eight things. They can be any eight.

Earlier techs are more “basic,” but also more essential; the ones in later eras are often more specialized and while powerful, usually require a lot of strategic resources to pull off. Plus, the science cost for every tech goes up every time we research anything, so earlier stuff can take as long as later stuff if you wait until the end of the game.

So, don’t research frivolously, is the key. Find out what you want, what you need, and what you’re good at and focus on that.

The wheels are broken up into four quadrants: Top is always military stuff, right is science, industry and strategic resources, left is food, money and luxuries, and bottom is all the rest of the stuff, mostly happiness/politics/exploration stuff.

To the left of each wheel is something new that was added in the Guardians DLC: Legendary Quests. There’s always one military quest, one economics quest, and one quest related to building a World Wonder, the so-called “Legendary Buildings.” Like Civ’s World Wonders, only one faction can have it. These quests unlock whenever anyone hits the next tech era, and they give out substantial rewards, so it’s often in your best interest to pursue them.

The objectives tend to differ from game to game. This one, Visionary Leader, right now is set to give us a bonus to initiative in combat if we wipe out ten armies. However, in other games, it might be instead for pacifying villages, which can be done peacefully. No two games are identical and nobody can just always shoot for the same objectives.

Right now, we’ll start with this, which is good to get as soon as possible, since we’re going to be exploring a LOT and getting a lot of villages pacified will serve our needs. Following that we’ll get food techs since it’s vital to get our food production up, as Allayi reproduce slowly and need twice as much food as everyone else.

While all that is cooking, let’s investigate some ruins!

Some money, and a pearl! Allayi are special, they can find pearls in ruins. Usually other factions have to wait to the first winter to get started on pearl-collection.

We also found the first mystery deposit in our region, Titanium. Titanium is good for a lot of stuff, and if used in making weapons, creates weapons that are brutally powerful.

After the first turn, our Faction Quest kicks in and gives us our first objective, which is to search that ruin (again) to get a Skyfin. There’s also a lore narrative.

quote:

”…When Auriga brings forth her fruit in winter it will be a sign that once again, our time has come…”
The Epistle, page 4

——

So the burden, and the glory, fall to me.

We have taken the return of the Guardians as a signal; from the forests and the mountains we come together to rebuild our culture. In my hands sits the waxed and oiled leather pouch, black with age, that contains the Epistle of Vros Grayspire and the Euchologion, the ways of prayer.

Through all the Silent Years we have guarded these scrolls, handing them down from father to son, waiting for the moment when we could once again serve our role as sentinels of Mother Auriga. We are together except for the flying Skyin, a symbol of our power and freedom. With its strength we can reclaim our place by her side.

These Pearls, the ‘winter fruit’ of the Epistle, signal our resurgence. We will harvest them, and use them to build an altar to Auriga. As we do Her bidding, we will grow our own strength.’

Searching the ruins again grants us a Skyfin, our second unit type of three! These things are pretty special and amazing.

For starters, they have the “Solitary” capacity, so they can’t stack inside an army like a normal unit (they can participate alongside one as a reinforcement, though). They fly over terrain, making them good scouts, and have the Auriga Affinity Rank 2 capacity, letting them scoop up a few bonus pearls if they find any on the landscape.

The real interesting thing about the Skyfin is their ability to “aspirate,” where they suck resources out of the ground just by hovering over a deposit (as long as no extractor has been built over it). This gives the Skyfin constant XP as a boost and also gives the nearby city a happiness boost. We can do this in rival territories too if we want; other leaders will tolerate it because we’re giving them free happiness. Or we could do it in our own territory if we wanted that Titanium now and to boost our own happiness in the bargain.

Skyfins get better and better at aspirating as they level up, too, so they never stop being really drat useful. They’re expensive as hell to build (it requires 20 pearls!) so it’s good that we got this one for free. We’re gonna scout in opposite directions for the time being.

Sometimes you get nothing at all for searching a ruin. There’s a tech and a hero skill you can get to minimize this, but we’re going to be going through a lot of ruins and techs are precious so I won’t research it… this time. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it or not.

We found the Minor Faction village in our region! Bird-people, the Nidya.

MF Villages in Endless Legend act like Civilization’s Barbarian Villages, at first. They slowly generate random mobs of neutral attackers that will harass us until the village is pacified. Now, we could attack the village and wreck it, which would pacify it quickly enough, but then we’d have to rebuild it manually to get any use out of it, and that would take time. Hence why I’m researching the Parlay tech.

(Hey, more villages to the north! Hydras! Let’s continue the discussion.)

Parlaying with villages to get a pacification quest for them is useful because it can pacify multiple villages at once if there’s more than one in a region. Pacified villages stop producing monsters, and add a worker to your local city. It’s usually good to pacify them just to cut out a lot of the hassle.

We can then, if we have the slot for it, assimilate them into our culture, which lets us build their unit as if it was one of ours, and we’d get a global bonus for every Nidya village under our dominion, in this case an initiative bonus.

It’s not always good to pacify villages near enemy cities, though, because why would you want to do the work for them? It all depends on your strategy, heh heh. You could attack them and then the enemy would have to go through the trouble of rebuilding them.

In short, villages are both hazards and opportunities, you just need to make the most of them.

In the next-door region, we’ve got at least two different Erycis villages. Perfect for Parlaying, and also assimilating into our culture, due to the movement bonus, which we will never be able to get enough of, since our race focuses heavily on exploration.

Language Square finishes at just the right time, now for farming tech and talking to a few hydra people and bird people.

This is a simple enough quest, though usually multi-part; the second part typically asks us to give a resource to the second village. We have 105 Dust now, we can afford this.

Hey, nice, we don’t need to use a resource this time! And our hero has leveled up a bit from the XP gained from this interaction.

This looks complicated, but it’s not quite (thanks to all the tooltips). Each Hero has three trees; on the left it’s based on what kind of warrior class they are, in this case, a Ranged attacker. That focuses on mobility, vision, and better ranged attacks in general.

The middle is identical for all heroes and has stuff that is useful for everyone, like finding fewer “dud” ruins, better recovery time, more XP for your minions, spying skill improvements, and overall improvements for your city. The topmost makes the hero, their city and/or their army immune to winter and is REALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE WINTER SUCKS rear end. As units, Allayi aren’t hurt by winter, but their cities sure are, so we’re going to get that as soon as we can.

The rightmost is based on what faction our hero is from. It’s always related to our race’s strengths; Broken Lords get a lot of money skills, for example. Some of them affect combat and the world screen, too. The first skill at the bottom of our hero’s tree lets our army ignore terrain penalties, so we can walk through forests at full speed. I’m getting that now.

The Nidya to our south want Glassteel, a resource we don’t have, to pacify them. If we find some in a ruin we may give it to them, but if they’re gonna be stubborn about it and if we can’t find any soon, it might be to our best interest to just attack their village and be done with it. The game doesn’t judge you.

That green stuff to the left is our other resource, the luxury known as Emeralds.

I’ll get into what luxuries are good for next time, but I think this is a good start for us.

Till next time, fellow Aurigans!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

There’s no way I could do the intro to them justice in screenshots, so [url=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za9Hzr72E00%94]make sure you watch this amazing intro[/url] from the official Youtube channel.

You broke your link there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

berryjon posted:

You broke your link there.

Got it, thanks!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We are proud anime mothmen and I look forward to our exploits.

• Locked thread