Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Naturally the hydra people are argumentative and want someone to tell them what to do.

Looks like an interesting game, I like Endless Space alright but never really looked at Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Bit too early to say much about governors, as we can't really get any use out of them until partway through the next tech level, but suffice it to say that some factions are waaaaay better at it than others.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Unoriginal One posted:

Bit too early to say much about governors, as we can't really get any use out of them until partway through the next tech level, but suffice it to say that some factions are waaaaay better at it than others.

Cultist Governors are effing AMAZING.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Speedball posted:

Cultist Governors are effing AMAZING.

Yeah. There are a few specific niche cases where you might want a Broken Lord, a Drakken, or an Ardent Mage, but nothing comes close to a Cultist when it comes to city management. I usually make it a point to rush the tech needed to get them, because they're just that bananas.

Going to hold off on any further commentary, lest we end up just endlessly gushing about them.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Phew, made it in on the ground floor just in time. Looking forward to this one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There is only one thing that I don't like about this game. I always get hella nerdy when it comes to city placement because of all the anomalies and future city development thoughts. It pains me to leave fat fids boni to rot because they're tucked away into a bad part of my regions. And don't even get me started on finding out that your starter region had a better spot to settle once you explored it fully :argh:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

There is only one thing that I don't like about this game. I always get hella nerdy when it comes to city placement because of all the anomalies and future city development thoughts. It pains me to leave fat fids boni to rot because they're tucked away into a bad part of my regions. And don't even get me started on finding out that your starter region had a better spot to settle once you explored it fully :argh:

Sounds like you belong with the Roving Clans. Don't like where Bug City is at? Move it!

e: or slap that affinity on a custom race?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Correct, the Roving Clans have mobile cities and one of the best uses for that is parking their giant beetle closer to more anomalies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you only get one city per region, or can you park another village off in some other corner near a neat anomaly?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Tin Tim posted:

Trying to choose city sites in this game can be really overwhelming. There're so many things to consider. I usually just put one down where I can make a stick city that I can expand to cover as many + happiness anomalies as possible.

Glazius posted:

Do you only get one city per region, or can you park another village off in some other corner near a neat anomaly?

One per region.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even if you don't have mobile cities like the Roving Clans, all is not lost if you have a good site you need to move to. The city-razing option gives you a settler at the end. I haven't needed to use that much...except when playing as the Allayi, who need to be careful when they go conquering because of the massive happiness hit they have to soak up.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You also eventually get to a point where ocean tiles overtake just about everything in value, anomalies included, so you'll usually end up planning for that too once you're past the early game.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I gave Endless Legend about 10 hours of play and couldn't find myself getting into it. Maybe this LP will change my mind.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The start is brutally slow. Which is one of my big gripes with it.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Actually, there are more then some situations in which you would want a wild walker city leader.
Especially since most heroes have one special ability helping armies, and one helping cities, with the ones who have both of their abilities city or army focused being the most useful ones.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I'll get into that, but WW heroes have that really nice racial ability to reduce building times and that helps out a lot with trying for a Legendary Building or something.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Unoriginal One posted:

Yeah. There are a few specific niche cases where you might want a Broken Lord, a Drakken, or an Ardent Mage, but nothing comes close to a Cultist when it comes to city management. I usually make it a point to rush the tech needed to get them, because they're just that bananas.

Going to hold off on any further commentary, lest we end up just endlessly gushing about them.

Ironically, the Cultists themselves really want a Necrophage hero (with the slavery capacity).

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Btw. is it just me or is your start pretty bad?

Well, bad starts make for more interesting LPs :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

No, a bad start would be settling in a region with no strategic or luxury resources. Which has happened. (there's likely later-era resources in such areas but that doesn't help you out in the early part of the game). I even got an Anomaly.

It'd be nice if the starting region had three villages to pacify but I think for balance purposes everyone starts off in a region with only one.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 19, 2016

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, pretty sure that's set in stone.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Interesting, I always thought that starting villages are set to one, but I cant remember the last time I didnt have a + happiness anomaly, as well as sizeable forests, in my cap province.

I dont have the latest DLC though.

Thenre
Nov 17, 2009
Played over 100 hours of the vanilla version. Haven't had a chance to buy any of the dlc. Excited to see what the changes are and get hyped to actually have money again and buy them.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Aw yeah, I've been waiting for this. Glad to have finally noticed it was up and running. I do really appreciate the mechanics-talk as well, it's making me think about getting this game.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Bacchante posted:

Aw yeah, I've been waiting for this. Glad to have finally noticed it was up and running. I do really appreciate the mechanics-talk as well, it's making me think about getting this game.

You should probably get this game if you're a fan of the genre. I can't really think of a reason not to recommend it. It's probably my favorite 4x game.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I wish I hadn't missed the initial voting, but I'm happy to see you back in action Speedball.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thanks, people. :)

Working on the next one. Screenshots okay so far? EL was designed to be played widescreen and even its smallest size is a bit big compared to the forum tables, so I'm compromising by shrinking down the big shots and using in zoomed-in screenshots for more detailed item descriptions where possible.

EDIT: New main menu screen too for this expansion.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 20, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Screenshots okay so far? EL was designed to be played widescreen and even its smallest size is a bit big compared to the forum tables, so I'm compromising by shrinking down the big shots and using in zoomed-in screenshots for more detailed item descriptions where possible.

So far so good -- everything's legible and the images aren't too big, so whatever you're doing, just keep doing that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, next session's screens have been captured, just need to edit them a bit before posting. Spoilers: Ogres vs. Mothmen.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

Okay, next session's screens have been captured, just need to edit them a bit before posting. Spoilers: Ogres vs. Mothmen.

Average Friday then?

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
So there's no general Endless Legend thread that i can find. I have it plus all the DLC except Shifters, and I just feel like the game is super slow. Should I be upgrading my capital at the expense of having a second army or the other way around? How many turns until I have to make a truly meaningful decision? It just seems like the game starts super slow.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

eyebrow posted:

So there's no general Endless Legend thread that i can find. I have it plus all the DLC except Shifters, and I just feel like the game is super slow. Should I be upgrading my capital at the expense of having a second army or the other way around? How many turns until I have to make a truly meaningful decision? It just seems like the game starts super slow.

General thread is here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659888

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
you should be aiming to found cities immediately after empire plans

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

President Ark posted:

you should be aiming to found cities immediately after empire plans

More or less, yeah. Though this is one of the rules that doesn't necessarily apply to the Allayi due to how they're geared for slow expansion.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Endless Legend Pt 3: Mothmen Vs. Ogres!

We now join our story already in progress.

Zooming out in this game automatically engages the “strategic” view which has color-coded regions, easy-to-read icons for the terrain and strategic resources (anomalies are those fan-shaped icons) and nice little unit portraits. It’s a little weird it’s based around zooming instead of a toggle, but it’s smooth as butter and I love it.

What the HELL was Firaxis thinking when they removed the strategic view in Beyond Earth? Anyway…

Scouting further north, our hero Brightslash the Third is using his skill that lets him ignore terrain hindering to just waltz through the forest. If you look closely you can see how his wings aren’t attached to his back. The Allayi are mysterious beings indeed, they just have these floating hover-wings near their bodies. Weird.

We also see a glowing Erycis village, indicating it’s the one we need to interact with to pacify the villages in this region.

Done and done! All three villages in the region are pacified and won’t spawn monsters anymore. Which is good because Hydras are pretty powerful enemies. Any city we plop down in this area will have three extra workers right out the bat and will grow quickly. This is why Parlaying is so good; and sometimes they give you prize money and resources for finishing their quests.

Our Skyfin discovers a little Gold in another ruin (and a Pearl). Time to show off how this game handles Luxuries!

To the Empire Management Tab!

Generally, most of this is self-explanatory; we’ve got our Faction, our income, and our overall approval rating in the top left. Bottom-left is where our slots for assimilated villages would go. The giant bull’s-eye in the bottom is the Empire Plan, which we unlock stuff for when we spend influence points every 20 turns or so. On the right hand side is all the various bonuses our Empire has, all its uniques and stuff.

If you click on the Status Screen you get graphs comparing you to other civilizations, but we don’t need it yet. Let’s focus on what we came here for, Luxuries.

Luxuries are handled way different than in Civ V. We generate them slowly over time if we can mine them, or get them in bunches from ruins/quests as you saw. Then we burn them up for a boost to our happiness and some other empire bonus, in this case, cheaper upkeep for our cities so we have more money income.

The booster cost goes up by 5 for every city we have, but right now, we need only ten, so we’re burning it now. That’ll help out in the Dust department. Accumulating lots of luxuries at once is one of the ways to get out of our Expansion Disapproval problem that the Allayi have.

Overall empire happiness is really important because it also improves our science and dust income, and in individual cities it increases their local food and production income too.

Bos! These tubby centaur guys would be decent for us to assimilate, due to their food boost. We’ll have to see how it goes.

Our Skyfin scouts further west, finally scoring us enough Pearls to reach 10. We also see a really cool looking Anomaly, Black Dust.

To the north, there’s a more arid desert region. Just like in this game’s predecessor, Endless Space, arid/desert regions are poor in food but rich in dust. I guess it’s easier to sift dust out of the sand or something.

Our scouting hero uncovers more terrain and we find a second Bos village, so let’s parlay it out with ‘em!

What? “Too Many Chiefs” again? Weird. I was expecting a “destroy that other village over there” quest or a “investigate these ruins and trigger a fight” quest.

Back at our City, Kentamys, we’ve got enough pearls to build this thing, which counts as a city district and expands our exploitation range. The build time is abysmally low, but we’re about to get more population soon and I just spent the rest of our dust on rushing the Founder’s Memorial, so that’ll speed things up.

Scaffolds up!

Now, let’s see what our Skyfin has scouted out.

Holy CRAP! This is a GREAT quest. Building two luxury extractors will grant us a special tech obtainable only through this quest that doubles our luxury intake.

We had to use up 5 titanium to pacify the Bos, but there’s another deposit near our skyfin. I think it’s time to show off our ability to Aspirate!

Except it’s in someone else’s territory. Who? Let’s find out.

Mezari! drat! I should disable these guys next time.

Mezari are reskinned Vaulters. It is implied that this is who they were before they crashlanded. Their units look different and they have a different starting hero and so on, but all their abilities are the same. Which may not be good for us, Vaulters are really good at research and their units are no pushovers.

Our Skyfin decides to help itself to that Titanium, giving itself a pretty big XP boost and which will refill our spent Titanium. There’s a reason I want 5 Titanium and Glassteel early; those are the requirements for building the first Legendary Building, and its main benefit is a huge Approval boost, which we will never get enough of.

Ahh, crap! Our skyfin is being attacked by the Mezari, who aren’t taking kindly to the intrusion. Yeah, early-game, even before war has been declared, you’re in a state known as “cold war” and can legally attack each other’s trespassing units. We can retreat at the cost of half our Skyfin’s health; better do so.

Oho, what have we here?

Orcs! Hurnas are a good unit to have on your side, since they are one of the few units that are resistant to Winter (in their case, they’re immune to the movement penalty, but not the vision penalty). Of course, our native units are already resistant to winter movement penalties, but if we wanted a ranged unit that could keep pace with the rest of our guys they wouldn’t be bad to have.

Zooming way out, this is the world we’ve explored so far. Winter is still 21 turns away, but we need to uncover as much territory as we can because one of the Allayi’s abilities is seeing where pearls are on the map even if they’re covered in fog of war.

Xoyos Brightslash III has leveled up again, and the next skill in his racial tree is Awestriker, which makes it cheaper to bribe villages into pacification. If we had a lot of money and not a lot of time, this would be good, but I’m really just taking it to get to the next skills.

Further south, we have…

Urces! Powerful units in combat, and a pretty powerful assimilation bonus too.

Frigid areas like these give out more science points than most other regions. There’s a river running through it too, once we research the relevant techs, we could get lots of money from that river.

Unfortunately, like I said, our cities grow slowly and we get a lot of disapproval for spreading out our empire, so we need to be very picky about where we go next.

Research complete on our next tech: Sewers! A pretty good approval boost is just what the doctor ordered for our city. Most Approval buildings have additional bonuses that kick in when your city is already very happy, so they’re never obsolete. The Sewers only give us a meager +1 Influence, but it doesn’t require much production to create and future Approval buildings will have much more substantial bonuses.

Next up for techs, Open-Pit Mine so we can mine those emeralds in our territory.

Ahah, a new type of pacification quest. The Bos want us to destroy an Urces village in Vanoran. We even get 15 Dye for our trouble (Luxury, it boosts influence). You know, our troops are pretty green, we could use the XP, let’s go for it.

Our Skyfin can’t stack with our army due to its Solitary capacity, but if it’s right next by it’ll show up during battle anyway as a Reinforcement, and it has some pretty powerful support abilities. Let’s do this.

The battle calculator is in our favor but not by much; Urces are powerful, after all. But we have a hero on our side and doing this battle manually will probably turn the tide.

A battle arena pops up using the actual landscape (another thing this game does different from Civ V). We have six turns before the battle is over. There’s some forests near us, and it’d be best for our defenses if our units were on the forest tiles instead of the enemy.

Our Seeker units have Shifting Charge, which during summer reduces enemy attacks if they charge at them over a distance. During winter it becomes more offensive and reduces enemy defenses instead. Our Hero is a Ranged attacker, so he’ll stay in back, but he’s got Shifting Nova, which during summer heals all friendly units next to whoever he attacks for 15% of their total health.

Our Seeker on the left takes a nasty knock, but returns it in kind.

Our Seeker on the right completely no-sells the rumbler’s attack thanks to their defense rating being high enough and a bit of luck.

Units in this game have “Morale” which is something that makes them fight harder the more friendly units there are next to them; it’s that icon that looks like a circle with six wedges around them. For Allayi, morale is boosted even more due to their sense of kinship.

On the left, our Skyfin is going to cast its support spell on the left Seeker, which will boost its morale (and due to how it works, it’ll also spread to our other friendly units). Let’s see how the next round shakes out.

A complete standoff on the left…

But the Seeker on the right gets a nice hit in on the enemy and so does our hero Brightslash. The healing you see there is the Hero’s ability that heals friendly units standing next to enemies he shoots at. (That’s his defensive summer ability, in winter it changes to an area attack that hurts all enemies standing next to the enemy he shoots).

Round 3, and our units morale is being boosted quite a lot, which means our combat effectiveness is going up. That first Ogre is toast.

First ogre down! Timbeerrrrr!

Our Morale bonuses are really kicking into high gear now, making our units nearly double as strong as they’d normally be. This is why we’re able to survive against these very powerful Rumblers, who are no pushovers normally.

We’re lucky that their special ability to stun enemy units hasn’t proced yet.

One more round and he’s almost down!

Done! Our units are a little banged up, but they’ll regen in time. That’s one Urces village down.

In the future I won’t give you a shot-for shot playby of every single battle, that would get annoying, but for the cool ones, I’ll do so.

We’ve explored most of the continent, so it’s time for our forces to go separate ways and cross the ocean, looking for more things to exploit. Should be interesting!

That’ll be it for now. Till next time, fellow Aurigans!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 21, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
one piece of advice:

quote:

Our Seeker units have Shifting Charge, which during summer reduces enemy attacks if they charge at them over a distance. During winter it becomes more offensive and reduces enemy defenses instead. Our Hero is a Ranged attacker, so he’ll stay in back, but he’s got Shifting Nova, which during summer heals all friendly units next to whoever he attacks for 15% of their total health.

something you should keep in mind is that as long as a hero's army isn't completely wiped out, they're basically immortal - if they get killed in a fight but the army they're with is at least partially intact they'll respawn afterwards. using your hero as a meatshield for your costs-actual-money-to-replace troops can really help give you the extra kick you need in these early fights where the odds are close to 50/50, especially against some of the stronger minor factions who might not go down in one turn's worth of combat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Stop making me want to buy the Allayi DLC mothsdamnit

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

President Ark posted:

one piece of advice:

something you should keep in mind is that as long as a hero's army isn't completely wiped out, they're basically immortal - if they get killed in a fight but the army they're with is at least partially intact they'll respawn afterwards. using your hero as a meatshield for your costs-actual-money-to-replace troops can really help give you the extra kick you need in these early fights where the odds are close to 50/50, especially against some of the stronger minor factions who might not go down in one turn's worth of combat.

True, true... but due to how the placement worked out this time I got the most out of our troops by putting them in front of the hero. Your strategy works better if the units are ranged themselves, so they can attack with the hero in front of them. Or if the hero is a melee unit, like in most Necrophage armies.

Also worth noting is that units equipped with crossbows get the Point-Blank Attack capacity, which boosts their power if they're at point-blank range.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Speedball posted:

Xoyos Brightslash III has leveled up again, and the next skill in his racial tree is Awestriker

help, I'm trapped in a video game skill tree

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I last played this game a pretty long while ago and there's something I only noticed reading this LP because there were two in a row: whenever you get a minor faction description for something weird that looks like it might lay eggs, the text makes sure to point out that, surprisingly, they reproduce by live birth. That's... a strange thing to make a point of pointing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

GunnerJ posted:

I last played this game a pretty long while ago and there's something I only noticed reading this LP because there were two in a row: whenever you get a minor faction description for something weird that looks like it might lay eggs, the text makes sure to point out that, surprisingly, they reproduce by live birth. That's... a strange thing to make a point of pointing out.

The devs want you to perceive the minor races as valid people, and they assume that the player is racist against egg-layers :shrug:

• Locked thread