Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I saw an LP of the Forgotten Lords story once. IIRC it's about noble houses fighting each other between the more noble Lords and a duke who goes all-in on the draining other people for their dust. You end up discovering an Endless machine that produces a limitless amount of dust and rebuilding it, saving the Forgotten Lords and letting them survive the coming winter.

It may also be canon in addition to the Vaulters - there's a Forgotten Lord hero in Endless Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trivialrealities
Feb 18, 2013

Speedball posted:

The Forgotten are on a quest to find a wounded hero and then kill the three evil people who captured her, a Drakken, a Vaulter, and another renegade Forgotten. (The hero is awesome once she heals)

Hilariously, brokenly awesome. On lower difficulties, she's quite capable of one-shotting enemy units.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Cultist questline involve them getting visions of impending end of the world and figuring out there's ancient tech buried all under Auriga - so they set out to find, repair and jumpstart a spaceship.

I know that because that's, uh, the only quest victory I ever pulled off on account of being fairly simple.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Hah! So the Cultist storyline is basically "Let's find and jack the Vaulter's old spaceship."

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It seems like every faction quest that doesn't involve them stealing the Vaulter's spaceship could be simultaneously canon, but I haven't played the game enough to be familiar with all of them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nah, the Quest ending is that for everyone, once you complete your faction's personal storyline.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat, that's right. I guess in that case it's just standard explore, convert, subjugate stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Cultist story is narrated by one of their minions, listed as "Diary of a Disobediant." He struggles to understand why they're doing what they're doing and grits his teeth against going around subjugating other villages but ultimately has no recourse but to obey. The motivations of his robot masters are a mystery to him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Speedball posted:

Nah, the Quest ending is that for everyone, once you complete your faction's personal storyline.

"Comander Mothman Sir, we've subjugated the other races of this planet and mastered the pearls, staving off the eternal winter that threatens the doom of our people. What should we do now?"
"Find a ship? I kind of hate this planet now."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Endless Legend Part 5: The Dark Season!

Okay! Well, the Dark Season is upon us, but we’re not in any position to wage war or anything like that just yet. This winter will only last a mere 3 turns, so we’re just going to use our increased Dark Mode mobility to explore more of the map.

See all those white circles? Those are Pearls, which pop out of the earth during Winter. Anyone can collect them, but Allayi are the only race that can sense where they are on previously-explored map tiles (everyone else has to just get lucky or remember where they are). Time to scoop ‘em up.

Sometimes the AI doesn’t like it when you suck up the pearls in their territory, other times they say “go for it, man.” They don’t disappear during Summer, but the sooner we scoop these up the better.

Zooming way in, we see that pearls are quite large, and something being extruded from the planet like fruit. Freaky!

Xoyos Brightslash III and his two seekers suck up a bunch more pearls in just one turn, plus hit a few ruins. Tsavyal looks like a *great* territory to settle in were we so inclined, look at all those anomalies on its territory.

And just for the hell of it, I see a Ceratan Drider nearby and decide to engage it in battle. In Dark Mode, our units’ abilities are more offensive and Driders are support casters that slow enemies but don’t do a lot of damage, so this fight will be a cakewalk.

It’s yellow and has a chalice symbol next to it because it’s a quest objective for some other empire… defeating it will gently caress with their quest, most likely.

I’m also deciding to kill it because it just walked over a pearl cluster and ate them, so this is revenge!

I didn’t explain how combat works quite well enough last time, so here goes: we give orders to our troops to attack enemies or, if they have a support spell, help friendlies, but who moves first is based on Initiative. If the enemy moves first, it could screw up our whole battle plan and our troops will fight whoever’s closest to them instead of their designated target. As they say, no plan survives the enemy.

Zooming in on this because it’s that important.

Our Sword-Symbol Attack rating is more accurately our “to-hit” rating, balanced against an enemy’s defense rating. The explosion symbol is the actual damage that will happen on a hit. These four odds we see here are the odds of the attack being a critical hit that does extra damage, a normal attack, a glancing attack that does half damage, or a blocked attack that does 0 damage.

We have six rounds per battle to conclude our business. If at the end of six rounds the battle is unresolved, the survivors go back to their original positions and lick their wounds.

Some people say this reminds them a lot of the Age of Wonders series, but it’s really much more simple and easier to grasp than that. In AoW every unit has multiple abilities and you have to give out a lot of individual orders, plus it takes place on a different plane of existence rather than on an arena in a world map. Here you just point and click. I think this version is a lot easier to grasp, myself.

And that’s one dead drider! Good job, seekers, you earned promotions!

Alright! Our Legendary Building is built. It’s risky to rush these things, just like how it’s risky to go for World Wonders in Civ, but in our case, it’s totally worth it.

This, specifically, is what it does. Big happiness boost and a big boost to our Dust and Science as long as the home city is happy. All very handy, especially for us since we have Approval problems.

The next one, Industrial Megapole, is even more worth it if you can swing it, but I think we need to up our military and expand a bit before we even want to try for it. What the Megapole does is provide a truly obscene amount of production on its tile (25 at first, 50 later, that’s more than many small cities can make with their entire workforce) so it makes grinding out units or building stuff much easier.

Alright! We’ve hit the next Research Era. A second wheel of research options opens up, as does the ability to upgrade our troops’ weapons.

Here’s another new thing to this expansion: you get to vote on what crappy effect upcoming winters will have. You expend pearls at the Altar of Auriga to pick your poison, as it were. Mostly these involve detrimental effects but if you enable the new Winter options (which I’m still not sure how to do because I think they’re slightly bugged on the Mac version) you can also make it so that ice shelves appear on coastal waters and lakes, so you can fight on ice.

Our Library of Auriga has expanded our territory, which is pretty nice, plus it’s giving us a handy +20% to our Science and Dust income as I said. We’re about to finish building that Emerald Extractor in our territory so we can get more of those precious luxuries to burn. I’m ordering a settler be built, finally, so we can take advantage of hydra-land to our north.

Our exploring/Pearl-eating hero discovers minotaurs! Naturally, guys who can run around on all fours count as tough cavalry units.

This is interesting; one of the free DLC updates included a bunch of quests related specifically to certain Minor Factions. In this case, the spider-people want us to bring them a settler so we can get a special weapon. I’ll, uh, think about it, ladies.

The Green Drakken player tells us we can help ourselves to the pearls, and also he’s Pitying us because he doesn’t consider us a threat at all due to our smaller global score and lesser number of cities. Working on it, buddy.

He wants to move out of Cold War and into a proper Peace. This would let us set up further deals and prevent our units from attacking each other…sure, I’ll go for it, pal.

We can’t initiate Peace agreements ourselves yet because that’s a research option limited to the Second era, but we can take advantage of other people offering US peace. We can start trading stuff between each of us, if we wanted.

Having mostly circumnavigated the globe, I’m bringing our hero Xoyos Brightslash and his seekers back home through the territory of the Red Mezari so we can upgrade him and his troops (which can only happen in friendly territory). Also, of course, scoop up all those pearls so our red enemy can’t do it.

With the new Tech Era opens up a new Empire Plan, and I’m getting the Approval boost as well as a nice buff to our military forces so nobody can push us around. It’s about time to expand.

And now we have our second city! It only has one population, but those three pacified Erycis villages give it three extra workers to help it build up some basic infrastructure.

I’m going to explain most of the rest of the Second Era techs and our overall strategy as we hit it next time. We aren’t in a good position to attack our Red Rival… but soon we shall be.

Till next time, fellow Aurigans!

World Map:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

One of the best things about this game really is the map, both zoomed in and out.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

drat that Library seems brok- powerful... A 20% bonus to growth stats, a build cost reduction, plus a +20x happiness is huge!

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
So glad you're doing another 4X...and EL to boot! One of my favorite 4X games out there. I've never played with the DLC so this has been educational so far.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Chard posted:

drat that Library seems brok- powerful... A 20% bonus to growth stats, a build cost reduction, plus a +20x happiness is huge!

Yeah, and remember it's +20 per level - which means if you surround it with level 1 districts on 4 sides, it becomes +40, which will allow a lot more to ensure a happy capital.

Enjoying the LP, I had trouble understanding this game last time I tried and ended up being beaten by another empire to a victory - which is /weird/ from a Civ player perspective if not playing on higher difficulties, haha.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oh man, I am all kinds of ready for an LP to help me figure out how the hell Endless works.

Also, people talking about Speedball's prior LPs: what are they? I looked on the LP archive and couldn't find anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xanderkish posted:

Also, people talking about Speedball's prior LPs: what are they? I looked on the LP archive and couldn't find anything.

You know you can search by author, right?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xanderkish posted:

Oh man, I am all kinds of ready for an LP to help me figure out how the hell Endless works.

You sure mate?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Ugh. Forgot about that, I am dumb. Thanks!

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
How is the Seeker a cavalry unit? They pretty much look like the standard infantry from other races to me. What's the game's explanation for it?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
They're stacked with a hero, whose model takes priority on the map.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
"Cavalry" is less "a person riding another critter" in Endless Legend, and more "a fast-moving charge unit, typically good against archers, less good in a grinding fight".

Allayi Seekers basically use their wingsuit thing with all the kites behind them for rapid redeployment and charging, making them functionally a cavalry unit. Similarly to the minotaurs, who aren't being ridden, but charge in on all fours and horn gore enemies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Vaulters have a "cavalry" unit that is a guy with jump boots who uses them to propel himself forward great distances. In general cavalry units are faster, infantry units are more tanky, ranged units are often good at taking down flyers, and fliers can be beefy but specialize in outmaneuvering the enemy. (They're also great for scouting). Sometimes fliers are actually way way stronger than a race's infantry units; the Necrophage's Necrodrones for example.

The third Allayi unit we don't have yet, Monks, are fliers but are some of the beefiest fliers in the game, intended to do more damage than the Seekers.

Of course, now that we have a bunch of Erycis villages under our control it would also be a good time to show off how powerful hydras are when on your side.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Thanks for the explanation, I somehow missed the charge skill on the Seeker in the screenshots.

Are the hydras like their counterparts in the HoMM games? I don't think I ever really saw them in the few games I played. Usually I get drowned in Haunts and Ice Wargs. Guess I will see in the future.

Oh, and another thing I am not quite sure I get correctly. Auriga, the planet, is sentient and kind of on it's last leg, right? The seasons are more like 'nice friendly planet' as standard summer interrupted by the wintery spasms on it's way to the end?

Delirare fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 1, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Delirare posted:

Are the hydras like their counterparts in the HoMM games? I don't think I ever really saw them in the few games I played. Usually I get drowned in Haunts and Ice Wargs. Guess I will see in the future.

Oh, and another thing I am not quite sure I get correctly. Auriga, the planet, is sentient and kind of on it's last leg, right? The seasons are more like 'nice friendly planet' as standard summer interrupted by the wintery spasms on it's way to the end?

If by that you mean "do they attack everything around them at once" then yes, yes they do. They're pretty awesome. They also have a "sweep strike back" capacity that overrides the usual single-target counterattack; Vinesnakes (the actual unit name for the hydras) equip claws and that's typical for most claw-users.

The planet is heavily implied to be sentient, yeah, and it speaks during the introductory movie. The planet was also used as a laboratory by the Endless, which is why it's covered in hundreds of sapient species. When the Endless died all their test subjects got out, started breeding and now all have their own civilizations. It's a pretty tidy explanation for why you could have one planet covered in dozens of fantasy races.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

If by that you mean "do they attack everything around them at once" then yes, yes they do. They're pretty awesome. They also have a "sweep strike back" capacity that overrides the usual single-target counterattack; Vinesnakes (the actual unit name for the hydras) equip claws and that's typical for most claw-users.
They're also - at least as far as I can tell - easily the single toughest motherfucker out of all the neutral units.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

They're also - at least as far as I can tell - easily the single toughest motherfucker out of all the neutral units.

Seems like they would have to be if they're to take advantage of the multistrike ability, since that requires them to be in range of multiple units simultaneously. How's their attack power?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, the only other two that are even as nasty are probably demons and ice wargs. I'm definitely going to assimilate the Erycis and make us some hydra troops. "Hail Hydra!"

Their attack power is quite a bit higher than our seekers, around 111 Attack with basic Tier 1 equipment. Since I'm probably gonna research some Tier 2 Titanium weapons for them they'll be that much more powerful.

trivialrealities
Feb 18, 2013
Speaking of powerful things that can appear in this game, I really hope Speedball has done the Endless Day quest and that Eslek Tarosh appears in this playthrough, either through his quest proccing, or him just showing up in the Mercenary Market. An army of moks led by him would be terrifying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

trivialrealities posted:

Speaking of powerful things that can appear in this game, I really hope Speedball has done the Endless Day quest and that Eslek Tarosh appears in this playthrough, either through his quest proccing, or him just showing up in the Mercenary Market. An army of moks led by him would be terrifying.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Even if you don't get the Endless Day achievement on the day it's meant to happen, there's this magical thing you can do a computer that lets you travel through time.

Set your computer date to between Jan 21 and Jan 25

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A note on hydras: Once I was playing and I ended up on this small island off the main continent. The game had progressed pretty well and I scouted the continent every so often to check up on the AIs living there. They had rapidly expanded of course. I was faffing about in the diplomacy and noticed that the vaulters had lost a city. And a little later I noticed that the Broken Lords had lost one as well. So I sent my scouts through to see what had happened.

Hydras. Hydras had happened. Apparently there had been a three village province that none of the AIs had pacified. So they went on pumping out baby hydra armies and improving them until there were giant hydra doomstacks roaming around. They were just wrecking the AIs on the mainland. So there was just this expanding dead zone that was basically a minor faction nation of hydras.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Not Alex posted:

A note on hydras: Once I was playing and I ended up on this small island off the main continent. The game had progressed pretty well and I scouted the continent every so often to check up on the AIs living there. They had rapidly expanded of course. I was faffing about in the diplomacy and noticed that the vaulters had lost a city. And a little later I noticed that the Broken Lords had lost one as well. So I sent my scouts through to see what had happened.

Hydras. Hydras had happened. Apparently there had been a three village province that none of the AIs had pacified. So they went on pumping out baby hydra armies and improving them until there were giant hydra doomstacks roaming around. They were just wrecking the AIs on the mainland. So there was just this expanding dead zone that was basically a minor faction nation of hydras.

That's XCOMEndless Legend, baby!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Not Alex posted:

Minor factions can't cross seas, right? So that's basically best possible scenario for you? The game wins itself?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think in the latest update they can now cross seas. They just choose not to most of the time.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
they can, but the only time i've seen them embark is chasing an army they tried attacking once already

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

What does Endless Day do?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Elric posted:

What does Endless Day do?

During that week, a special hero appears in all three Endless games and if you do a mission with him he gets unlocked for the rest of your playthroughs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh I feel like a dunce. I can't make comics and I can barely focus enough to make LP either today. Sorry guys, gimme another 24 hours.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Relax Speedbal, we are all on your side. If you need to take a day, take it. If you need to take a week, Take it. If you need to take a monht, make sure to post often enough so the thread doesnt' fall into the archives, other than that, take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.

Speedball posted:

Ugh I feel like a dunce. I can't make comics and I can barely focus enough to make LP either today. Sorry guys, gimme another 24 hours.
These things happen; everyone gets a day like that. Just keep doing your thing as you can; we really appreciate it.

• Locked thread