Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the heavyweight champion?
This poll is closed.
Werdum 33 86.84%
Miocic 5 13.16%
Total: 38 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

why do people think Cyborg is gonna be fighting at 135 so easily after this match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm trying not to be snarky about people close to cyborg saying "everything's great" and that getting reported by helwani and then people taking that to mean that she's not still too enormous for 135 but it's hard

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Didn't Lockheart himself say a while back he didn't think she had a hope of making 135?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i bet it feels super rad to put on 30 pounds in 24 hours

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
my extremely hosed up opinion is I would be okay if Cyborg got the secret 3 lb GSP allowance special to fight Rousey or Tate for the belt eventually, but barring that happening UFC is gonna have a weird situation on their hands.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

cams posted:

i bet it feels super rad to put on 30 pounds in 24 hours

take everything a fighter's "nutritionist" says with a grain of salt large enough to cause you to retain 30lbs of water, like when mike dolce said chael sonnen was 230lbs of solid muscle thanks to his expert nutrition advice

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i'm trying not to be snarky about people close to cyborg saying "everything's great" and that getting reported by helwani and then people taking that to mean that she's not still too enormous for 135 but it's hard

Same

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i mean i hope this isn't news to any of you guys but absolutely every body involved in these fights starting from the very commissioners who allow them is lying to make you buy something

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

take everything a fighter's "nutritionist" says with a grain of salt large enough to cause you to retain 30lbs of water, like when mike dolce said chael sonnen was 230lbs of solid muscle thanks to his expert nutrition advice

actually I have it on good authority that Chael Sonnen is eating coconut fried chicken the day before weigh ins because he is so lean right now and he will definitely have the infinite power and bottomless cardio to beat Anderson this time when they fight this weekend, July 7, 2012

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
So does Leslie Smith have much of a chance against The Steroid Monster or is this just a can crush to get casual UFC fans a look at Cyborg?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Leslie Smith barely won a questionable decision in her last fight against Rin Nakai

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

acejackson42 posted:

So does Leslie Smith have much of a chance against The Steroid Monster or is this just a can crush to get casual UFC fans a look at Cyborg?

If Leslie throws a billion straight punches, Cyborg might bull rush into one, jaw-first

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Leslie Smith got boxed by a three foot tall Rin Nakai, so no, she has no chance

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Oh christ, I forgot about the Nakai fight even though it was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in awhile. Yeah, this is a can crush. But holy hannah is it going to be spectacular if Cyborg loses her first fight in the UFC after all the poo poo talking...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cyborg losing in hilarious embarrassing fashion would be a dream come true. I need it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Cyborg losing in hilarious embarrassing fashion would be a dream come true. I need it.

Your lips to God's ears

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I like Leslie Smith but she is basically the Leonard Garcia of WMMA (minus the string of BS decision wins). She might survive three rounds but even so she's gonna get battered.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Smith got a speed hole opened up into her brain and wanted to keep fighting, so in the unlikely event that Cyborg can't TKO her, Cyborg might gas out after Smith does the Homer Simpson to her.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
just as a reminder

https://vine.co/v/e3ntdjtFHLn

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Man I wish Shogun wasn't so fat

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

vainman posted:

Leslie Smith got boxed by a three foot tall Rin Nakai, so no, she has no chance

This really isn't true.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

acejackson42 posted:

i hope not. i like cyborg

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Bubba Smith posted:

why do people think Cyborg is gonna be fighting at 135 so easily after this match

Because they test for PEDs now, so she will continue to shrink.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

This really isn't true.

She didn't get outboxed, but she did get boxed. Smith ate 31 strikes from Nakai, the shortest fighter in the UFC with a 60" reach (which is mostly traps).

Cyborg is 7" taller, has 8" more reach and tends to make most opponents a little dizzy with the first punch. I don't know if they could have picked an easier fight for her.

The bookies have Smith to win at +1075 ($100 bet wins you a grand), which is about as bad as it gets. However, it is MMA, and Dana's Law suggest that all things being equal, the most hilarious result is the most likely.
There might be some Serra/GSP money to be made.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
how come the weigh ins were earlier but the card doesn't start earlier

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
I didn't create it and I'm not sure if this link will work off my phone but anyone interested should get in the league on ufc pick em.

https://ufcpickem.fightmetric.com/pools/18093

It's fun and if like me you have time to waste at work you can eventually accrue enough points to get ppvs etc. I wasted mine on Jones vs OSP so I am glad I didn't actually pay for that main event and the rest of the card was good.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I hope Stipe wins just cause I wanna see Stipe vs Cain. The more I type out Stipe the more I pronounce it Stipe instead of Steepay in my head

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

how come the weigh ins were earlier but the card doesn't start earlier

I'm sure someone's out there right now claiming the Brazilian comission wanted to give Cyborg more time to rehydrate, but I'd say it's probably that Curitiba is 2 hours ahead of EST so they did weigh ins earlier so a big crowd would show up. They won't shift the event itself because that would gently caress with PPV buys, obviously.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

turntabler posted:

I didn't create it and I'm not sure if this link will work off my phone but anyone interested should get in the league on ufc pick em.

https://ufcpickem.fightmetric.com/pools/18093

It's fun and if like me you have time to waste at work you can eventually accrue enough points to get ppvs etc. I wasted mine on Jones vs OSP so I am glad I didn't actually pay for that main event and the rest of the card was good.

I bought a Khabib shirt and a reebok UFC Canada hat earning rewards points is fairly easy.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Not sure what this is

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

iLikeMidgets posted:

Not sure what this is

Tito saying it's impossible for Cyborg to make 135

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

iLikeMidgets posted:

Not sure what this is

"people wanted to see her in the ufc fight at 135 ... which is literally impossible for her to happen ... to make that weight"

Not sure how tito could be any clearer. Obviously it's literally impossible for her to happen so Cyborg doesn't exist and if you don't exist you can't make weight, literally.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Prelims looking good tonight too. I love Maia and how he makes people look like amateurs on the ground but I also love Brown and relish any opportunity to see him do a violence. I don't know which of those scenarios I want to see more.

iLikeMidgets posted:

Not sure what this is

Neither is Tito tbf

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Solomonic posted:

Prelims looking good tonight too. I love Maia and how he makes people look like amateurs on the ground but I also love Brown and relish any opportunity to see him do a violence. I don't know which of those scenarios I want to see more.

It isn't impossible that you'll get to see both, like when Maia fought Rory. He got the takedown early and completely dominated Rory on the ground, didn't get the stoppage but gassed out chasing it, and then Rory lit him up on the feet for the next two rounds. Though IMO Maia is very likely to submit Brown if he gets him down, and Brown is very likely to finish Maia if he winds up exhausted and forced to strike.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

I bought a Khabib shirt and a reebok UFC Canada hat earning rewards points is fairly easy.

Looking into getting a UFC Canada hat on the website and couldn't justify paying $60 for a lid. This is a viable second option.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Not giing to be able to watch this but go stipe, vitor, cyborg, beastin 25/8, & matt brown

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

acejackson42 posted:

Looking into getting a UFC Canada hat on the website and couldn't justify paying $60 for a lid. This is a viable second option.

I had 70 bucks worth of gift cards from UFC rewards and they covered the full cost to ship to Canada which covers the custom charge as well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm real hyped about Miocic/Werdum. Like I totally acknowledge that most HW fights are poo poo but it's still the weight class I get the most excited over when it comes to big fights. Are there any other good HW matchups planned this year?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Shogun is going to get beasted so hard he'll wake up managing a gas station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm real hyped about Miocic/Werdum. Like I totally acknowledge that most HW fights are poo poo but it's still the weight class I get the most excited over when it comes to big fights. Are there any other good HW matchups planned this year?

I actually really like this fight because it's something that doesn't happen real often at heavyweight - a fight between two guys who have no glaring, obvious flaws. Stipe isn't really exceptional at anything but he has solid wrestling and boxing and isn't bad at anything; Werdum is tremendously talented at jiujitsu and has developed genuinely good striking, and he's good in the clinch and not completely embarassing at wrestling. And both guys are pretty aggressive without being completley irresponsible defensively. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Locked thread