Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It took me years to get to the end of the last thread, and with this bonus, I'm already past the real early game and discovered a bunch of idle games. Everything accumulates so quick now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
R0 blows, but you should probably just do titans. I did druid for a while but I also spent a month on R0 because I was busy and so only played every other day for 10 or so mins.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah I've been thinking about idle games a lot recently cause I've been trying to find time to make one and I think people most enjoy discovering new facets and vectors of progression. Mine Defense is great about this, Kitten game is good but has fundamental flaws to stop it from being super popular. Realm Grinder is a different game that builds off the last iteration every week or two if you want to move that fast.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I just check secret trophies and challenges before abdicating, that way I can get any challenges that require lotsa gems. or setup the next reincarnation. I wasn't able to do some of the earlier challenges when they first unlocked, but I R12'd today and I'm fully caught up.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I had Factory Idle and Realm Grinder open yesterday when we had a blackout, so I lost my RG save that was ready to go to r13. If anyone has one that's around there (r10-14) I'd appreciate it. If not, that's fine I can put the game back down for a while.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I had the cloud save from chrome, which I switched away from when I hit r7 cause it was eating >1/2 my cpu and I couldn't play a game with it open. If you have two Kongregate tabs you can only be connected to one, so it saved my factory idle game. It's a very weird situation. Thanks for the save!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Musluk posted:

That's not how it works.

The connection is to kongregate's chat and achievement API, game itself saves it's data to your hdd seperately.

e: also, it seems FF has a bug when it comes to factory idle's average gains/tick, but chrome doesn't.

You're probably right, it was speculation that I lost that save and not the Factory Idle one because I was connected to that tab. It still sucks to lose my save, even though there are a million safeguards. After I found out about the power loss I checked both games and FI was good, I closed it. FI isn't awful, I'd just rather play Factorio I guess.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It only requires effort in that every once in a while there's a new thing and you spend 10 minutes learning the basics then a day or two trying out different builds and seeing what you like.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Bloodlines are great because they come at exactly the time where the idea of doing the first Qa gems AGAIN sounds awful.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

The offline timer is 2 hours capped if you don't sink money into the game and the unlock for more offline time (10 hours i believe) is fairly expensive (55 NOK, so i guess around $8) If this had been more reasonably priced i probably would have bought it.

It's $4.99 USD. I'm a bit into the game now and I don't feel like it's a big deal to have that, though that may change. The game is cute with nice viduals, I'm enjoying it so far. I would say the golden egg upgrade that lets you hold down the button for chickens is a nice quality of life thing.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Which game is king poo poo of gently caress mountain right now? I've just been playing Reactor Idle and I need a change.

We all love the buddies.

Infiroad and Factory Idle are pretty much it right now.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Went to my dealer to see how his business was. Thanks for herion you jerks. :argh:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had forgotten all about Mine Defense and then randomly thought of it again. Looks like it hasn't had many new updates since I left it in early 2015 but hey, I'm bored. Let's kill goblins.

I replayed through it a few months back and it's still good. Some spurts and stutters with bad pacing in some parts (getting 1k sandshrews) but it's a good crystallization of idle games.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, it works with ios. I downloaded it on my phone a while back and it's a real nice phone game. If I didn't already know the factions, and their ordering, by heart it would be annoying on the phone ui though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You just need enough gems, the first reincarnation is 1 octillion.

The factions and their colors:

pink - Fairy (boost to first 3 buildings)
green - Elves (boost to faction coin rate)
light blue - Angel (boost to spells and mana regen)

tan - Titan (random bursts of huge gains)
brown - Druid (mana capacity and innovative builds)
blue purple - Faceless (time spent as faceless, incrementalism)

yellow green - Goblin (short, powerful gains, random rolls for large gains)
purple - Undead (slow and steady gains)
red - Demon (big boosts to top tier buildings)

Deep Blue - Dwarves (more buildings, growth over time
Maroon - Drow (mana regen grows over time, spell bonus to production grows with casts)

I can type up a thing about how I play or explain mechanics because I know the UI can be an uphill battle. but if you wanna play your own way, that's cool. I'm phoneposting so some of this is probably wrong.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Axiem posted:

I'm currently working on getting Drow and Dwarves, but it's quite a slog for either of them.

Jeez. I only just hit 1e18 gems recently. I think it might still be a while...

I'm...not really sure what you mean by this? Should I not just get every upgrade and get as many of each building as I can?

Like Ghostlight said, you'll later get the ability to mix and match upgrades, and Druid has a lot of little things that're used for builds that people do. You should probably just buy every upgrade right now, I can't think of a reason unless you're going for a specific trophy.

quote:

That probably explains why Faceless is the only faction that gets me in the e40's ranges.

I've tried finding some guides, but they all seem to assume some entry-level knowledge I'm simply lacking in, or want me to do random things to get trophies, and I'm still in the phase of "I still don't understand why people say this game has depth. How do I shot web?"

I typed up a lot of stuff about each of the factions, then copied it over to a text document to flesh out. I'll post it in a day or two when I can go over it and make it a good primer for RG, this thread doesn't really have one that I know of. In the mean time, If you're stuck at a gem amount in R0, I would just go titan and cast lightning strike 2-4 times, buying the upgrades, heritages, and royal exchanges (last) when you can, it'll increase your gem count by 10-100 times in 20 minutes, probably.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I played it again back in december, as long as you're patient it's fine. The big grind is for gems at one point. It's a lot faster with an autoclicker, assuredly, but not necessary like how cat game is worlds apart.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

Woo hoo! Don't be afraid to rift your first adult pretty quickly, getting spirit essence owns bones.

Realm Grinder, not Mine Defense. I did the same thing.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Emron posted:

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm only on R33, but it's good to remember a vague path that you take (I do elves until >1T gems, then titans to 1qi, then elves/dwarves until 1no, then mercs until research at 1tvg).

The reincarnation button. As in, R1. I think they're a ways off from mercs.

Once you reincarnate, you'll basically do everything faster and you're supposed to start thinking critically about what would benefit you most at your current gem amount. Like Emron says, going elves for faction coins early, then titans for a couple runs, then a prestige faction to get enough gems to reincarnate is the typical path for your first bunch of Reincarnations. If you don't have dwarves and drow unlocked, you'll want to do that before you reincarnate. You also might want to peruse the list of secret trophies on the wiki and pick some of them (namely speed run) up. The more times you reincarnate, the faster everything you've done so far will go.

In a similar vein, I hit research a couple days ago and have just been going through the not-wiki guide to unlock everything but it's such a pain on my phone. Does everyone try to max their research each R before reincarnating? Apart from the challenges, is research what I'm doing till (R30 is ascension, right?)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There was that one goon-made one, it was ascii fantasy, I don't recall the name but I think the final boss was a lich?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Len posted:

Okay I'll give what changes in realm grinder? I didn't get far because it just feels like an adcap style buy buildings, get achievements, restart game. But you guys make it sound like it pulls a Candy Box and becomes something with more than that basic cycle. Is that the case?

Yes and no. Fundamentally, youu're going to be farming gems to get to the next Reincarnation to reset and do it again. But, the game does a fantastic job of adding new systems to speed that up and use what you know to change how you think about it. I don't know if you got to challenges, but they're a good example. Challenges give a set of conditions that you have to meet in order to unlock a permanent bonus that's active for that faction or others. While a lot of them are sorta filler designed just to get you familiar with the factions, some require serious thought about the best approach and are nice mini-goal distractions from the normal loop. RG adds more systems later that are similarly interesting and the early game goes much quicker at R7 so you're flying to the good stuff pretty fast.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

R8 is okay, I can probably get there really quick now that I've seen how a Diamond Forge build plows ahead.
Coin Pillage though, do I need some kind of specialized Angel-like run for that only focusing on mana regen and max mana?

That only makes me start with 20 FCs which is a drop in the bucket.

Yeah I just went mercs, made sure to buy the "-100 mana cost to spells" angel upgrade and went neutral for the druid upgrade that gives mana based on stone pillars. Once you have 3k mana, you can do it. By R5 you should have enough to do it, but you might end up with 2800 mana and not enough regen to do it in 5 seconds. That upgrade gets easier when you get bloodlines and it's a very necessary upgrade so you will want to pick it up, but like they said, the elven bloodline is choice till you need another (titan or fairy for a while) to make ingress.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The old design was stick-figure garbage but it was 100% readable and so it became charming if you stuck with it. The new design works best as something you see in the background of a movie/tv show, not an actual thing you use. It's not a big deal if you're on mobile, though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I just got to Neutral research a bit ago and I devised a build that used the faceless bloodline with druid for a massive mana pool > assistants and the growth is steady, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be. It was offline over night and the mana pool is about 75k. I wouldn't call the build a bust, but what builds do folks use for the vanilla > neutral transition? I'm able to get to 1 TG with fairies alright, but after that it's a little sketch getting up to my R gem count with neutrals.

It seems like there's two rough outlines: focus on your unique building (typically with assistants) or focus on all your non-unique buildings (typically offline bonus?)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There are trophies "under" some of the ones you can see. So if you get the trophy for 100 farms, you'll see the next trophy, 150 farms, in that spot. You can hover over the icon to see how many are in that series.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
A little tip from someone in R25: after you're done with 2 days of evil, work towards 5 days with each neutral faction, strong preference for faceless. There are researches that require that and the faceless one is aparently very useful. I did 4.5 days as druid and I'm working on faceless right now with a little less than 2 days left.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
This thread is so slow it hasn't had a "can we move the talk about [flavor of the month idle] to a new thread?" post since Trimps a few months ago.

I'm clawing my way through R28 and getting that last bit is rough.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Beasteh posted:

I just got Equality on R0, 6 days played on each faction :unsmith:

Because I had already played to R13 or so on my computer, I got most everything you can get at R0 immediately and didn't worry that I spent ~30 days on R0, which meant that in order to get the evil playtime trophy I idled as goblins/drow for ~10 days and had 1 decillion gems when I reincarnated.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You have to have purchased your vanilla faction alliance upgrade to see the prestige trade treaty. The alliance one is the one that lets you buy the gold upgrades, it costs 500 fc.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to be able to make progress when the game is closed.

I want to take my time with the game, if I leave for a week I don't want it to be broken.

I want to see multiple systems or currencies that are all useful, often towards different but complimentary goals.

I don't want to have to spam click (basically ever) after minute 10.

I want there to be some goal that I'm always clearly working towards.

Mine defense and Realm grinder are often held up as good examples of what to do, both have paradigm shifts, generally clear goals & give a sense of progression through those two things.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Sounds like Succubus or like suck you. Be honest with us, is this a sex game?

There was a succubus game brought up in this thread, I think it was around this time last year because of halloween?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Realm Grinder: Do Enchanted Fields and Dwarven Forges count as Neutral or Good buildings?

Neutral. They're just farms + blacksmiths that have a bonus and a different name.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

Looking for a good game for iOS. Played Clicker Heroes but it had no charm or personality - all the heroes and skills were the same with barely distinguishable tiny portraits, and overall the presentation was lacking. Still, I liked it and only quit when progress slowed to a grinding halt after ascending a few times. Played Spaceplan and that had gorgeous presentation but was over quickly. Tried Realm Grinder but couldn't get past the muddy, washed-out visuals. Any others I should check out?

I play the Shadow of War game like an idler, but that's not a point in its favor, nor is it what you're looking for. Egg inc is not good, but it is visually nice. Realm Grinder gets easier on the eyes with time & it's one of the 3 Ur-idle games, so you'll probably want to play it eventually. There was that dragon egg game but I think people hated it pretty quickly. I know there were a couple ported like Clicker Heroes and RG. ITRTG was, right, and paperclips? Most phone idles are not good or engaging in the slightest.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Catgame requires a sort of zen approach to it. You'll be stuck on certain areas for days or weeks while you just slowly work towards your next goal because you can only store 30 minutes of production and can't babysit it all day.

or you can cheat yourself some prestige. I didn't do it when I played, but I never gor to the end.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Elven Bloodline is the choice for early game for a very long time. It's the choice for lategame except going for particular builds for a long time as well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If million is one, and billion is two, then noquag is 49 because it's 9 after 40.
I've taken a break since the start of the year, but it's fun to not use sci notation, though I can read it just fine.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I would have known that if I was playing. Serves me right.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Mine Defence (defense?) is like that as well, though much shorter than RG.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
RG: Is it just very bad luck that I'm not getting the Dragon Soul artifact despite having 6500 casts this game? I've set it up 3-4 times now and start excavating around 5000 casts, excavate ~5K times and still don't get it. Abdicate and wait till the next weekend. I know it's the artifact that I can get because when I don't have enough DB casts up, I lose the bubble that shows I can get an artifact. It's so frustrating and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the response! It was my understanding that the chance was just (casts/200,000) which is like a 3% chance per successful excavation. I didn't bother setting up a better build because I've just come back from a ~4 month break, but the issue there is how long each cast lasts, almost 50s right now. I'm only on R73 so there's no rush, it's just that I've been trying to get it for a couple R to no avail, maybe I'll spend some time looking over it tonight and set it up for 20k casts.